Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lakers acquire Gasol from the Grizzlies

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lakers acquire Gasol from the Grizzlies

    http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/10613060

    Pau Gasol goes to the Los Angeles Lakers along with the Memphis Grizzlies 2010 2nd round pick. The Grizzlies get Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, the rights to Marc Gasol, Aaron McKie and the Lakers' 2008 and 2010 draft picks.
    Last edited by Bronco LB 59; 02-01-2008, 05:07 PM.

  • #2
    WHOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    CHAMPIONSHIP!


    Comment


    • #3
      Pau Gasol was just traded to the Los Angeles Lakers.

      My initial thought? The Lakers are going to win a championship.

      My second thought? The Lakers are going to win a championship.


      Why can't I break away from that thought? They probably won't win a championship, but it's an argument I'm having a tough time talking myself out of right now.

      Gasol can play. He can really, really play. He'll be perfect in the apex of Los Angeles' Triangle Offense, hitting cutters with passes and making it easier on himself to score in the low or high post as opposing defenses try desperately to keep up with all the off-ball movement.

      Gasol can't defend much, but in a long-armed lineup with Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, Kobe Bryant, and Derek Fisher; this won't matter.

      We don't know how the Lakers will adjust their lineup, Odom might come off the bench to dominate the ball a bit (and, really, that's what we want from him) while Phil Jackson keeps the oft-injured Luke Walton in the starting lineup.

      Losing Kwame Brown (sent to Memphis with Javaris Crittenton, a 2008 first round pick, and a 2010 first round pick) hurts the Lakers defensively, but watching Kwame's 30 minutes a game be sopped up by Gasol's 38 will be quite nice for Laker fans. The defense will slide. The offense, already potent, will go way, way up.

      So what do you think? Where does this put the Lakers amongst the Western elite? How does Phil Jackson run the rotation once Bynum comes back? And does Memphis need cap relief this badly?

      UPDATE: Rumors are floating that the Lakers have sent Marc Gasol's draft rights to the Grizzlies as part of the deal. Marc Gasol is Pau's little brother, and although Marc spent his high school years in Memphis ... doesn't that seem a little cruel?
      http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba...?urn=nba,64793





      Comment


      • #4
        It doesn't matter. The Cavs will get Jason Kidd. Championship.

        Comment


        • #5
          I got word this morning about this. Its all about expiring contracts. We just sent Gasol off to save money. Looks like they want to start fresh again and try to sign someone this off season and draft. Im not to thrilled on the trade but am happy to get Gasol out. Dude is weak, he may do alright in a 2nd hand role but he sure isnt the #1. Looks like we just took the keys from him and tossed em to Gay.

          Comment


          • #6
            My first thought was... CHAMPIONSHIP Second thought... who was the donk fan that I talked to about this last month?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Maximus View Post
              My first thought was... CHAMPIONSHIP Second thought... who was the donk fan that I talked to about this last month?
              I brought it up Maxie. Remember? Clearly Kupchuk thinks I know my ****.

              Comment


              • #8
                Has there every been a situation in sports where one brother was traded for another? that seems pretty weird.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why the **** was this moved?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 24champbailey View Post
                    I brought it up Maxie. Remember? Clearly Kupchuk thinks I know my ****.
                    :

                    I have been drooling over Gasol and Elton Brand for years now

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Maximus View Post


                      I have been drooling over Gasol and Elton Brand for years now
                      I read somewhere that someone thinks this is a conspiracy by the NBA to drum up the Lakers vs Celtics rivalry and making sure they meet in the Finals.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 24champbailey View Post
                        I read somewhere that someone thinks this is a conspiracy by the NBA to drum up the Lakers vs Celtics rivalry and making sure they meet in the Finals.
                        Totally laughable... If there is one thing that the Lakers have been consistent with it is getting the correct Big Man... It's no conspiracy. Jerry West was a genious when it came to trades. I'm finally starting to get comfortable with Kupchack... The Trevor Ariza move was under Rated. That was a huge move for us too!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Getting Gasol is going to be big for the Lakers. They did however give up a 2008 first and this is could be a pretty talented class depending on how many underclassmen declare. Seems like the Grizzles are constantly rebuilding.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Lakers are now contenders. The West is still too deep to say who will be in the Western Conference finals, but the Lakers are now in the discussion. They'll make the second round easy. We'll have to wait and see what they do from there.

                            The Lakers could keep this unit together for a number of years. That's scary.

                            Odom isn't really good as a #2. With Bynum having a break out year, the Lakers were a lot better with Odom as their #3. Now he's their #4. They are pretty deep.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jason in LA View Post
                              The Lakers are now contenders. The West is still too deep to say who will be in the Western Conference finals, but the Lakers are now in the discussion. They'll make the second round easy. We'll have to wait and see what they do from there.

                              The Lakers could keep this unit together for a number of years. That's scary.

                              Odom isn't really good as a #2. With Bynum having a break out year, the Lakers were a lot better with Odom as their #3. Now he's their #4. They are pretty deep.


                              Mitch, I take back all the bad things I said about you during the off-season.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X