Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barry Zito

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Barry Zito

    Where will he end up and more importantly, how much will he cost?

    The Mets have scheduled a meeting with Zito and Boras in LA. Boras must feel more comfortable here as he can now actually play teams against each other whereas he couldn´t do that with Matsuzaka.

  • #2
    He signed with the Giants.

    Comment


    • #3
      WAYYY overpaid, but I still like it nonetheless. A rotation of Cain, Zito, Lincecum, Lowry, Sanchez in due time has the makings of a something special.

      Comment


      • #4
        Richest deal for a pitcher in history. The only pitcher in baseball that is worth that kind of money is Johan Santana and I think he could get close to $200 million in this market.

        Comment


        • #5
          I was thinking he´d go to New York ...

          Comment


          • #6
            Basically the Giants just replaced Schmidt with someone who has put up worst numbers in his career and someone who costs a lot more. It plugs a hole, but they overpaid for him big time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Some stuff from Keith Law on ESPN INsider -

              If you're going to hand out the largest contract ever given to a pitcher, it probably should be to one of the best starting pitchers in the game, right? Seems like Baseball 101.

              The Giants missed that memo.

              Sure, Barry Zito is a good fit in San Francisco's big, pitcher-friendly ballpark, and in the short term he pushes the Giants to fringe-contender status. But from the club's perspective, this is one of the worst contracts ever signed, for its length, for its annual salary and for the entire misguided notion that Zito is this good a pitcher. He's been the beneficiary of a favorable ballpark with lots of foul territory, a favorable schedule, great bullpen support and outstanding outfield defense -- and he's not going to receive either the defense or the relief help in San Francisco.

              The contract boggles the mind for a number of reasons:

              • Why would anyone give seven or more years to a starting pitcher? Because Kevin Brown and Mike Hampton worked out so well?

              • Why would anyone give such a long contract to a pitcher whose fastball has already shown signs of deterioration, and who just posted the second-worst strikeout rate of his career?

              • How did Barry Zito, who nearly led the AL in walks last season, end up with the reputation of one of the best pitchers in baseball? Because he won a Cy Young five years ago -- one that probably should have gone to Pedro Martinez?

              The Giants might get a great year or two at some point in this deal, but on the whole, it's going to be an albatross around the neck of the successor to GM Brian Sabean. This club has been on the edge of the precipice for years now, with the worst farm system in baseball and one of the oldest rosters in the majors, and committing long-term to a guy who at best is a No. 3 starter on a contender is madness.
              Zito is grossly overrated, and this signing is really gonna bite the Giants in the ass. And I ****ing love it. Giant fans can bite me.

              Comment


              • #8
                • Why would anyone give such a long contract to a pitcher whose fastball has already shown signs of deterioration, and who just posted the second-worst strikeout rate of his career?
                That sounds a lot like Schmidt, too.

                The Diamondbacks and Padres have claim to the top three pitchers in the division.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
                  That sounds a lot like Schmidt, too.

                  The Diamondbacks and Padres have claim to the top three pitchers in the division.
                  Whoa whoa whoa buddy. Schmidt is a good pitcher (not great) but we signed him to a fairly good contract (length) given the market for pitchers. Zito's contract is going to cripple this Midgets team that is already going nowhere and no sign of hope in the future(farm system is dry).

                  Dodgers have the best rotation in the division IMO, who cares about the top three?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Natedog24 View Post
                    Basically the Giants just replaced Schmidt with someone who has put up worst numbers in his career and someone who costs a lot more. It plugs a hole, but they overpaid for him big time.
                    You gotta love it when a guy posts the worst numbers of his career and it's a 3.80 ERA. In the NL that equates to 3.20. I'll take that.

                    Overpaid, no doubt. But the entire market is overpaid. Atleast Zito has flawless mechanics and is the best bet of any SP in the majors to take his turn every 5th day. Durability is GOLD, and that's what they paid for. Schmidt has been on the DL at one time or another every year the past 4 years. He is now 33. He's a pitcher who relies on sheer power yet his fastball that once was 98 is now 92. His best days are long gone.

                    As crazy as this sounds, this is a safe move for the Giants. They know what they're paying for. Can the Dodgers say the same about Schmidt or Penny?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post

                      The Diamondbacks and Padres have claim to the top three pitchers in the division.
                      Matt Cain will be the best pitcher in the NL West for the next decade. Bank on it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Smelvin View Post
                        You gotta love it when a guy posts the worst numbers of his career and it's a 3.80 ERA. In the NL that equates to 3.20. I'll take that.

                        Overpaid, no doubt. But the entire market is overpaid. Atleast Zito has flawless mechanics and is the best bet of any SP in the majors to take his turn every 5th day. Durability is GOLD, and that's what they paid for. Schmidt has been on the DL at one time or another every year the past 4 years. He is now 33. He's a pitcher who relies on sheer power yet his fastball that once was 98 is now 92. His best days are long gone.

                        As crazy as this sounds, this is a safe move for the Giants. They know what they're paying for. Can the Dodgers say the same about Schmidt or Penny?
                        Actually Zito's worst year was in 04 where he put up a 4.48 ERA and an 11-11 record. However, I agree that durability will be his strength...

                        Injuries are going to play a key role in who wins NL West, if the Dodgers can keep their pitching staff healthy and continue to develop their young lineup, I give them the slight edge over the rest of teams in the NLW. I really like what the Dodgers have produced from their farm system of late.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Smelvin View Post
                          Matt Cain will be the best pitcher in the NL West for the next decade. Bank on it.
                          I disagree, Young on the Padres will.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Young is very good, but Cain will be great. Curt Schilling great. And if he can stay healthy, Peavy is a better pitcher than Young. But he can't. Unless he changes his violent delivery, he'll be under the same knife Liriano is under right now.

                            Contrary to popular belief, injuries to pitchers are predictable. Peavy is next.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Giants made this move to sew up the hole of Jason Schmidt, and it's the market that got Zito this contract, if not the Giants then the Mets or Rangers would've blown this kind of money on him.

                              I like Zito, but he isn't a dominant pitcher. He relies on his offspeed pitches, fastball only gets around 88 MPH, and gets inconsistent when that awesome deuce isn't working for him.

                              So 126 mill to a guy that you hope that he brings his curveball with him every single time he goes out there, or be prepared to get 7 runs hung up on you iby the 3rd inning.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X