Cardinals Trying to Avoid Historic Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals Trying to Avoid Historic Collapse

There have been some epic baseball pennant race swoons in my lifetime. The 1978 Red Sox and 1969 Cubs blew double digit leads in August. The 1995 Angels lost eight in a row in September and then lost a one game playoff to Seattle. Still, nobody choked harder than the 1964 Phillies. Holding a six and a half game lead with 12 to play, Phils manager Gene Mauch panicked, alternating Jim Bunning and Chris Short on two days rest down the stretch, blowing the pennant to the Cardinals.

The 2006 Cardinals seem to be trying to restage the Phils epic collapse. Holding a seven game lead with 13 to play, St Louis has dropped eight out of nine, while the surging Astros have won nine straight. The Cardinals lead has been whittled down to half a game in just about ten days time.

Jeff Weaver takes the mound tonight with his 5.79 ERA to try and stem the tide against Chris Capuano and the Brewers. The Cardinals were crushed by Milwaukee 9-4 yesterday. Brewer starting pitcher Doug Davis yielded eight walks and still got the victory.

Trust me, even the most die hard of 'Stros fans had counted us out. Ive been watching intently the past week and its just been unreal. Day after day Houston is getting clutch hitting at clutch times while day after day the Cards keep tailspinning further and further.

Whether the 'Stros make it or not, this has been one of the most exciting end of seasons ever for me. Unreal.

Comment

And who broke the Coors Field humidor?

The return of football season has heralded the return of football scores at Coors. Just about every game played in Coors in September has sailed over the total. This final homestand saw scores of 19-11, 11-4, 9-8, 10-9, 12-4 and 20-8.

Comment

I am a Cardinals fan until August. Then it is football season.

Comment

Originally posted by brncs_fan View Post
          I am a Cardinals fan until August. Then it is football season.
          Apparently the Cardinals are taking the same approach this year.

Comment

Originally posted by -Slap- View Post
            Apparently the Cardinals are taking the same approach this year.
            Ouch!

Comment

Twinkies Are Rockin....

Comment

Originally posted by watermock View Post
                Twinkies Are Rockin....
                STFU

Comment

Oreno chinko swe!! Madre fans and everyone else.

Comment

Im a huge red bird fan, my grandfather and some of my family is from st louis, he drove for bud for over 40 years. But this is bad for us, i hope albert can save our azz because no one else is doing anything, our pitching is sad at the moment.

Comment

I reiterate...f*** the cardinals!

GO ASTROS!
                      Last edited by Taco John; 09-29-2006, 12:51 PM.

Comment

There have been some epic baseball pennant race swoons in my lifetime. The 1978 Red Sox and 1969 Cubs blew double digit leads in August. The 1995 Angels lost eight in a row in September and then lost a one game playoff to Seattle. Still, nobody choked harder than the 1964 Phillies. Holding a six and a half game lead with 12 to play, Phils manager Gene Mauch panicked, alternating Jim Bunning and Chris Short on two days rest down the stretch, blowing the pennant to the Cardinals.

The 2006 Cardinals seem to be trying to restage the Phils epic collapse. Holding a seven game lead with 13 to play, St Louis has dropped eight out of nine, while the surging Astros have won nine straight. The Cardinals lead has been whittled down to half a game in just about ten days time.

Jeff Weaver takes the mound tonight with his 5.79 ERA to try and stem the tide against Chris Capuano and the Brewers. The Cardinals were crushed by Milwaukee 9-4 yesterday. Brewer starting pitcher Doug Davis yielded eight walks and still got the victory.

I have this pic as my back ground, love it!

Comment

Originally posted by brncs_fan View Post
                          STFU
                          Excuse me moron? Minnesota has a three game series at home to close the season. You STFU. All Detroit needed to do was play .500 ball and they would be 4 games out dimwit. Talking heads kept talking how Detroit wasn't melting down...they got to STFU...So you STFU.

Comment

And who broke the Coors Field humidor?

The return of football season has heralded the return of football scores at Coors. Just about every game played in Coors in September has sailed over the total. This final homestand saw scores of 19-11, 11-4, 9-8, 10-9, 12-4 and 20-8.
                            Ready for another conspiracy theory? Well, too bad, here it comes anyway.

For the last month or so, the Rockies have ditched the humidor in an attempt to artificially inflate the team's offensive numbers. The Rockies offense was anemic for most of the season and fans have been calling for them to go out and spend some money to get a couple of big bats in the lineup. By turning off the humidor, they get some garbage time stats in meaningless games that make the overall numbers look better than they really are. After the season, the Rockies front office and their apologists in the local media will run these numbers out there and say, "See? They weren't a bad offensive team!" That'll be their justification for spending no money this offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Alec View Post
                              Trust me, even the most die hard of 'Stros fans had counted us out. Ive been watching intently the past week and its just been unreal. Day after day Houston is getting clutch hitting at clutch times while day after day the Cards keep tailspinning further and further.

Whether the 'Stros make it or not, this has been one of the most exciting end of seasons ever for me. Unreal.
                              I've been day dreaming of Houston making it all the way and Roger Clemens pitching a no hitter in his last ever game to win the World Series!

Field of Dreams for sure, but I'd settle for a WS win whomever is pitchin' for the Astros.

How many games are left?

Comment

Working...
                              X