Tulowitzki Called Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tulowitzki Called Up

They say he's likely to start the bulk of the last 31 games, with the goal of seeing if he's ready to start next year in the big leagues. Iannetta came up Saturday. Hopefully they both do well - I can't imagine watching another year of the likes of Barmes and Danny Ardoin getting significant playing time.

O'Dowd needs to go buy a decent CF in the offseason.

Great news. There's no way he could be worse than Clint Barmes. I'm excited to see what this kid can do.

Originally posted by DomCasual View Post
    O'Dowd needs to go buy a decent CF in the offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
      Great news. There's no way he could be worse than Clint Barmes. I'm excited to see what this kid can do.

Yep, he'd be great in Coors Field. too bad it will never happen. They'll probably deal Francis for Crisp or something similar. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Master___Pain View Post
        Yep, he'd be great in Coors Field. too bad it will never happen. They'll probably deal Francis for Crisp or something similar. Ugh.
        NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by DomCasual View Post
          NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
          My sentiments exactly...but the chances of it happening are not that far fetched unfortunately.

Comment

I'm thrilled to see this move, but this should have been done a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Master___Pain View Post
              Of course not. That would require them to spend money and we all know that aint gonna happen.

If they would make a serious bid for Hunter and Soriano this offseason, they'd be a dangerous team. It won't happen, but it's a nice thought.

Comment

Tulo came out and played like, well, a wide-eyed rookie in his debut. 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts, but he did make a very nice play in the field, showing off that strong arm of his. No need to press, kid, this season is in the tank anyway.

Here's something interesting to look at in regards to the Rockies team payroll, how it's declined sharply over the last 5 years and how the on field product has managed to remain in the poor to mediocre range the whole time.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...s.aspx?team=19

Code:
                Year   Total Payroll Record
                2006   $41,233,000    61-71 (30 games to go)                                   
                2005   $48,155,000    67-95                                
                2004   $65,445,167    68-94                                 
                2003   $67,179,667    74-88                                 
                2002   $56,851,043    73-89                                 
                2001   $71,541,334    73-89
                The Rockies current payroll sits at 28th in all of MLB. Only the Marlins ($15 million) and Devil Rays ($35+ million) have lower total team payrolls.

Despite management giving them next to nothing to be excited about, the Rockies are still averaging 26,970 paid per game at Coors Field. Don't forget that they also received a nice check to the tune of $16 million from MLB's revenue sharing program.....none of which went towards improving the team.

They passed on potential #1 starter Andrew Miller in the draft this year to take potential #4 starter Greg Reynolds due to financial concerns. I know, they'll throw the Matt Harrington situation at people the same way they use the Hampton & Neagle disasters as an excuse not to be active in free agency.

This is a market that has shown that they'll support a team that's committed to winning, but the Monforts have basically turned their backs on the fans and will continue to put a substandard product on the field so long as they're in the black when the season is over. That's about the only way to explain why the incompetance of Dan O'Dowd has been rewarded with a contract extension, despite the fact that he hasn't put a winning product on the field in his tenure as Rockies GM.

Ah well, I guess I'll just keep dreaming of the day that Stan Kroenke buys the Rockies.

*sigh*

Comment

Nothing will change until this team has new ownership. O'Dud can only do so much.

I don't have a problem with them passing on Miller in the draft, the one they should have taken was Longoria.

We'll see what they do in the offseason (i.e. addressing center field and second base). They wasted great pitching this year. There is no guarantee that Coors Field will play the same way next year. This has been one of the more humid summers in Colorado in recent history. They need bats!

Comment

Tulowitzki finally looks like he's calming down and he had his finest day in the bigs yet. He went 4 for 4 today with a double, three singles, a walk and two runs scored. He needed a day like this since he was 1 for 13 since being called up coming into today. He finally looked like he wasn't swinging out of his shoes every time he came to the plate.

A couple of other noteables from today's game.

Matt Holliday hit a home run that cleared the Dodgers bullpen and hit a palm tree behind it. That palm tree might have been the only thing that kept the ball from leaving the stadium completely. The estimated distance was 481 feet.

Vinny Castilla, back for nostalgia's sake, hit a two run home run. All else aside, it was a nice blast from the past to see Vinny launch a fastball like he used to.

Comment

Tulo hits homerun #1 in the bigs

Comment

Tulowitzki has settled in pretty well. He's batting .303 after tonights game in which he stole a pair of bases, the first of his career.

Back to my railing on the Rockies front office for a minute. I went on about their payroll earlier. Well, it looks like that situation is actually worse than I originally anticipated. Some new evidence has come to light.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=col

Code:
                        PLAYER SALARY (US$) 
                        1. Todd Helton 16,600,000 
                        2. Kazuo Matsui 8,058,333 
                        3. Jason Jennings 4,500,000 
                        4. Vinny Castilla 3,200,000 
                        5. Ray King 2,500,000 
                        6. Jose Mesa 2,000,000 
                        7. Brian Fuentes 2,000,000 
                        8. Byung-Hyun Kim 1,250,000 
                        9. Aaron Cook 1,250,000 
                        10. Mike DeJean 1,150,000 
                        11. Jeremy Affeldt 1,000,000 
                        12. Yorvit Torrealba 850,000 
                        13. Josh Fogg 850,000 
                        14. Jamey Carroll 700,000 
                        15. Matt Holliday 500,000 
                        16. Jeff Francis 336,000 
                        17. Garrett Atkins 335,000 
                        18. Clint Barmes 335,000 
                        19. Brad Hawpe 335,000 
                        20. Cory Sullivan 335,000 
                        21. Chin-hui Tsao 332,000 
                        22. Choo Freeman 329,000 
                        Total Team Salary:  40,791,000
                        Looks pretty much in line with what I said before, right? Well, looks are deceiving.

The Mets are picking up all but the league minimum portion of Matsui's contract. Same story with Vinny Castilla, the Padres are paying practically all of his salary. That's about $11 million reported on the Rockies team payroll that they aren't actually paying. So the total team payroll is actually under $30 million.

Don't forget the little 16 million dollar check they got from revenue sharing, which is covering over half of the payroll. Don't tell me that the cheap ass Monforts can't afford to pay for talent to improve the club because it's just not true. Those ****ers are making money hand over fist while running a substandard product out there year after year.

Excuse me while I both weep and vomit.

Comment

The Stooges just gave O'Dud and Clint Clueless votes of confidence. I wish I could say they were "dreaded" votes of confidence. Instead, they decide to blame the players

Um, who put the team together? Who is coaching the players? Wanna bet the scape goat this offseason is the hitting coach?

Comment

Originally posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
                            Looks pretty much in line with what I said before, right? Well, looks are deceiving.

The Mets are picking up all but the league minimum portion of Matsui's contract. Same story with Vinny Castilla, the Padres are paying practically all of his salary. That's about $11 million reported on the Rockies team payroll that they aren't actually paying. So the total team payroll is actually under $30 million.

Don't forget the little 16 million dollar check they got from revenue sharing, which is covering over half of the payroll. Don't tell me that the cheap ass Monforts can't afford to pay for talent to improve the club because it's just not true. Those ****ers are making money hand over fist while running a substandard product out there year after year.

Excuse me while I both weep and vomit.
                            Not to defend the total lack of spending by the Monforts and the rest, but on the flip-side, aren't the Rox still paying for Hampton and Neagle?

Hopefully there will be some sort of fan revolt this offseason if they don't do anything to add to young pieces they already have.

Comment

Well, I can all but promise you that Holliday is a goner. Boras is going to ask for way more than the Rockies will be willing to pony up.

Comment

Working...
                              X