No announcement yet.

Official 2019 Orange Mane Mock Draft DISCUSSION Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buggs was actually the top guy I had remaining on my mini-board.

Comment

• Originally posted by jebures View Post
      I'm about 6 Harps deep right now. Excuse my random posts.
      You like Harp? I can't stand that ****e and it's one of our local beers, I can't drink anything but German beer nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by eddie mac View Post

You like Harp? I can't stand that ****e and it's one of our local beers, I can't drink anything but German beer nowadays.
        Its way better than Heineken

Comment

• 24 bringing up the average. Med should be happy lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by jebures View Post

Its way better than Heineken
            Heineken is dutch mate, I love Pils, if you ever get one called Warsteiner where you live try it out.

Comment

• Actually, the pace is much slower this year. We’ve drafted 138 players in 15 days. Last year we drafted 188 players in the first 15 days. We reached 138 players on the 11th day.

Comment

• Originally posted by eddie mac View Post

Heineken is dutch mate, I love Pils, if you ever get one called Warsteiner where you live try it out.
                I love trying any new beers

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
                  DEN has a once in a decade Top 5 pick and Req wants a medal for taking the rich man's Max Garcia....lol.

Even Med admitted Nelson went out to dinner with him before the Chiefs playoff game. I'm sure glad that kid had "All Pro" focus right before a playoff game. Sure paid off, huh?
                  Nelson should kick you in your whole ass for saying that dumb ****.

Comment

• With the 139th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the TENNESSEE TITANS kick off the fifth round and select:

LB TE'VON CONEY, NOTRE DAME

Te'Von Coney is the #148 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

LB TE’VON CONEY NOTRE DAME

Michigan (2018): Playing MLB in 43 defense, RILB in 34 looks. Run blitz off the edge, able to pivot and tackle up the field for short gain on inside draw. Used in coverage over the TE around the field, doesn’t look overly fluid in space though. Delayed blitz up the middle untouched for a pressure. Tried to run with the TE on a drag route, he was able to make the tackle after the reception, but never really in position to disrupt the play. I’m not seeing any type of speed or athleticism that stands out. I just got done doing some of the other interior LBs and this almost looks like slow motion in contrast. Decent job fighting through the LT’s block at the second level, pretty much treated him as if he wasn’t even there. Quick pass to TE in the flat, Coney clearly runs in mud. Solid read and react wrap up tackle in the hole on the RB. Solid tackle again coming downwhill from MLB and wrapping up the RB on off tackle run. Looks perfectly capable as a two down ILB in the running game. The rest of these tapes will be trying to figure out if he can be anything more. Took a nice angle on a toss sweep, stuffed the RB outside for a loss. Run blitz up the middle, once the QB kept the ball on playaction Coney continued through the line and put a hit on him just as he threw the ball. None of the Michigan TEs really strike me as burners, but Coney can’t run with any of them across the field. He appears to be an absolute liability in coverage. Solid open field wrap up tackle on the scrambling QB. RT got on him at the second level and pushed him back on short yardage TD run. Heads up play scooping up a fumble late in the game to insure the win. So what is Coney? He’s a downhill ILB that does not seem to be athletic at all. He probably needs to play in the box, and can handle some zone coverage, I don’t think you ever want him in man coverage on a TE or RB. Maybe a lead footed blocking TE. Appears to be a sure tackler, can mostly work through OGs and kind of shrug off their second level meddling while moving to the ball carrier, but not every time. Off one tape, I’d say he’s a two down player.

Stanford (2018): Playing ILB in 43 defense. Stays on the field in nickel packages. Read and react, take on RB in the hole for minimal gain. FB got on him at the second level, stepped back to shed the block, redirected and tackled RB to limit the gain. Run blitz up the middle, tackled RB in hole on inside run. Able to read quick curl route to the slot, came over to help on tackle, WR bobbled the catch, able to knock it away for an incompletion. TE able to get on him and push him well out of the play. Outside RB sweep, nowhere near the speed to get to the sideline on that play. Decent job reading the quick hitting curls and slants and assisting in immediate tackles in the middle of the field. Walled off from the hole by the RT, long TD run. Has good instincts and takes good angles, for whatever reason he slowed down on a RB sweep when he had the angle right and the RB was able to get to the outside for a decent gain. Delayed blitz up middle, RB stopped him cold with his block. Once he commits to going forward, struggles to put on the breaks and change direction. Quick curl by the TE in the slot right in front of him, Coney able to break on the ball from zone and disrupt the pass. That’s probably the only way he breaks up a pass is if the receiver stops his route directly in front of him. Club move to shove off the LG at the second level and make the tackle on the RB in the hole for minimal gain. That play is what he is. He can handle the big OGs and shed their blocks and still tackle the RB for minimal gain. RB ran an inside slant from the slot directly in front Coney, and once again he hit the receiver just as the ball got there to break up the pass. He gets credit for playing his zone and making plays to prevent receptions. He barely has to move, but the result is excellent. Able to fight through the LT on a sweep play and help tackle RB for a loss. Nice instincts on that play, he read it and was angled toward the sideline on the snap. Tried the same play, same result in the 3rd quarter. When he reads the play immediately and takes zero false steps, he can mostly overcome his speed deficiency. TE with an out route from the slot, Coney was in zone, read the route and jumped it and actually picked off the ball as well with a nice hands snag. Clearly going to have to rethink him in coverage, he’s done almost perfect in this game. Stanford keeps throwing right in front of him, but that last play was legitimately good. He’s still not a good enough athlete to play man coverage, but I don’t have any problem with him in zone coverage after this tape. Used rip move to disengage from extra OT on running down, able to tackle RB after short gain.

Clemson (2018): Playing ILB in 43 defense. Blitz off edge, able to beat the RG around the outside for a QB pressure. Decent burst chasing the QB to the sideline and putting some pressure on him. There are time Coney looks like a decent athlete, but they are few and far between. Really need the Combine times to nail this down for good. Swing pass to RB in flat, Coney able to make tackle down the field after decent gain. Inside draw to RB, Coney with quick read and helped tackled RB for minimal gain. Playaction RB draw, nice read by Coney, RB tried to jump cut, Coney with the wrap up tackle for minimal gain. Solid tackle on WR in space that was weaving through the defense. Read option by QB, kept ball and went outside, Coney put a huge hit on him. RB tried to juke him on an outside run, Coney plays with great fundamentals, broke down in front of him and just wrapped him up through his hips. Blitz up the A gap inside, trucked the RB in pass pro, sack on QB. Took a great angle on RB screen, able to cut him off at the sideline after a five yard gain, could have been a lot more. Tough game as Clemson kind of threw all over them, mostly deep and working the sidelines.

TLDR:
                    Coney mostly reminds me of Josey Jewell. Love the instincts and the toughness inside. His instincts of almost always taking the correct angle on the play and running to the right spot cover up a lot of his speed issues. He’s a sure tackler, great fundamentals, doesn’t get juked easily. Thought he showed well in zone coverage as long as he doesn’t have to move too much. He’s knows how to play football, you just have to keep him mostly in the box. He’s definitely an asset as someone that can take on OGs, work through their block attempts, and still make tackles on the RB in the hole. I’m not sure if he’s more than a two down player, but I’m not prepared to say he’s not either. He can blitz and play zone, you just don’t want him in man coverage as he lacks speed to run with even TEs. Might fit best as an ILB in a 34 defense where you can cut the field in half. His biggest weakness is that he’s not a sideline to sideline LB. A 34 defense might disguise that weakness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                      Actually, the pace is much slower this year. We’ve drafted 138 players in 15 days. Last year we drafted 188 players in the first 15 days. We reached 138 players on the 11th day.
                      Yeah, I think Med was just annoyed with the first two rounds going by in lightning speed. It's been a little too slow the last two rounds, we have a lot of people just not showing up until 6+ hours into the pick, which puts pressure on everyone else to speed it back up to make up for the slowness. We're still on a decent pace to finish in plenty of time for the UDFA round.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

Nelson should kick you in your whole ass for saying that dumb ****.
                        Settle down Scribe, i'm just trolling Req.
                        Last edited by SoCalBronco; 03-30-2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• With the 140th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the OAKLAND RAIDERS select:

WR DARIUS SLAYTON, AUBURN

Darius Slayton is the #112 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

WR DARIUS SLAYTON AUBURN

LSU (2018): Playing outside WR, rarely in the slot. Struggles a little bit with getting off the jam, doesn’t really use his hands to knock down the CB’s arms. LWR, press man, eventually got around the jam and up the sideline, nice hands catch on back shoulder throw for 20 yards, got facemasked in the middle of trying to catch the ball, did so anyway and got his foot down while falling backwards out of bounds. Really nice play and concentration. LWR, press man, beat the jam attempt with a stab step inside and then sliced around the CB up the sideline, CB able to recover and then Slayton finished him off with a comeback route for 10 yards to covert the 3rd down. That was some quality quickness and route running. Press man, no jam, Go route up sideline, CB in lockstep with inside position, Slayton tried to one hand the ball at the high point but CB swatted it away. Just great coverage by Fulton. Nice block on CB at the pylon on designed QB run down to goal line. Inside slant from the slot, nobody covered him for free 2 yard TD reception. Corner go route from slot up sideline, did a nice job to contort his body and looked prepared to make falling back shoulder grab, but CB Williams able to swat ball away at last second. LWR, press man, Go route up sideline, tried to do the back shoulder throw again but CB Williams jumped it for the INT. RWR, press man, able to slice across the CB Williams’ face and get up field on a Go route, had a step and was open, Williams reached out and yanked him back by his shoulder pads, and ball fell incomplete. Somehow there was no PI call, it was super blatant, and Slayton was pissed. CB was close enough he would have tackled him on the reception, but that should have been a big gainer. Williams got away with several penalties in this game, he was very physical shoving Slayton around down the sideline on multiple routes. Refs just weren’t calling anything. Struggles a bit with the jam, doesn’t use his hands, tends to try and just do some fakes until he can get around the CB off the line, which takes a little bit of time, not a good thing when the OL is not functional. Flashed at times though with his athleticism and hands.

Texas AM (2018); Playing outside WR, occasional slot. Decent block attempt on end around play. Slayton wasn’t much for blocking the few chances he had in the running game against LSU. Lined up in the slot, completely whiffed on his block of the safety on a jet sweep, his guy stuffed the WR for a big loss. LWR, off man coverage, come back route for 10 yards along sideline. Off tackle run, tried to block the DB, didn’t really work. Slayton is a zero in the blocking department. RWR, zone coverage, comeback route on sideline for 8 yards, he needed 10 for the first down. Needs to run that route deeper next time. RWR, press bail, post route down the middle, had a step, ball slightly underthrown, did a nice job of slowing down and using his body to subtlely shield the CB, and then Slayton dropped the pass. CB contested it, but he had it go through his hands. Would have been a huge gain. RWR, deep zone coverage, intermediate curl route, able to really flash his speed and athleticism by slicing past the defenders for some big time YAC, was just barely tripped up on a diving foot swat to avoid the TD. As it was, nice 40 yard gain. RWR, zone coverage, intermediate out route, 15 yard gain on sideline. This zone defense A&M is playing is not effective at all. Getting some reps in press man, generally is able to just run around the CB and get a good release, but they have a safety over the top. Stidham keeps wanting to throw it up to him but keeps pulling the ball down, probably being safe in a tight game. RWR, zone coverage, deep Go route, QB put the ball right on him, Slayton high pointed it along the sideline, all was well and then the CB chopped it out at the catch point for an incompletion. Just a nice play by the DB. Bubble screen outside, DB able to penetrate and tackle him immediately for a loss. LWR, press man, able to beat the jam with quickness to the outside, stressed the CB on a vertical route, than broke off a sharp come back route to the sideline for a diving 10 yard gain. Slayton has some route running chops, at least on these come back routes, he can stop and pivot off his vertical routes fairly well. LWR, press man, fade route up sideline, extremely impressive twisting high point catch on back shoulder ball, able to get a foot down for the catch. Wasn’t the cleanest catch, not a true pluck, but able to bring it in with his hands to his body while falling to the ground. Nice play. Thought this was mostly good tape, had a couple balls he probably should have caught, but have to give the DBs credit for getting their arms in there. Flashed elite athleticism, both in terms of open field running and making circus catches down the sideline. A lot to like.

Alabama (2018); Playing outside WR. Having some real trouble getting off CB Smith’s jam at the line. He’s mirroring him and being physical, Slayton seems confused on what to do when his quicks don’t work. Tried to block the CB on an off tackle run, initial punch was good, and then the CB just went in and helped on the tackle. Slayton needs extensive work on how to be more physical in every aspect of his game. Legitimate decent block on WR screen, helped spring his guy for a decent gain. Alabama playing a lot of zone, Stidham has nowhere to throw the ball except check downs. RB sweep, Slayton stacked up by the CB who then stuffed the play. Press man, come back route on sideline, had a step but ball a little off target and incomplete. Slayton clearly frustrated. LWR, press man, crossing route, QB winged it to him under heavy pressure, Slayton made a good effort to try and snag the high throw even though he might take a shot, but couldn’t quite get high enough. Lined up in the slot, off man coverage, Go route, ball a little underthrown, DB swatted it, Slayton almost able to tip it to himself twice, finally fell incomplete. Effort was good. DB got away with a pretty significant shove just before the ball came in as well, no flag. RWR, press man, Slayton actually chopped down the CB’s jam, quick dig route, Slayton dropped the pass. Left open on CB blitz, Stidham had to throw ball off back foot and Slayton made catch on low throw on his knee, otherwise might have been a big play with YAC. Slayton still frustrated. Auburn with a quick snap, Slayton pretty much the only guy on a route went deep, Stidham heaved it up, Slayton able to adjust and slice under Smith to catch the underthrown ball and then just took it into the end zone for the 50 yard TD. Tried to hit him on a stop and go bomb on a flea flicker from the slot, probably had it, but immediate pressure made Stidham throw the ball away. Alabama really teed off on the QB all game long, OL blocking was non-existent, made timing and deep routes, the two things Slayton does, not really possible.

TLDR:
                          Overall, I think Slayton is a very intriguing WR, seems like he could play outside or in the slot, has some wiggle and quickness to him, can run routes either direction with sharp breaks. Hands are mostly good, can make circus catches and contort his body. Speed and athleticism looks plus. Biggest concern is that he’s not physical and can get bullied off the line by physical CBs and strong jams. A little bit of a developmental guy, there’s a lot to like if he tests well (He did).

Comment

• With the 141st overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the PITTSBURGH STEELERS select:

WR JALEN HURD, BAYLOR

Jalen Hurd is the #195 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

WR JALEN HURD BAYLOR

Oklahoma (2018): Playing slot WR. Slot, bubble screen, minimal gain. Off tackle run on 3rd and 2 to covert for the first down. Guess he stills runs from time to time. Used to be a RB on Tennessee. Off tackle run, short gain. Running a lot of intermediate slants and corner routes from the slot, QB doesn’t seem interested in throwing to him, mainly because he’s not open. Speed looks pretty average even with the long legged strides. Inside draw on 4th and 1 to barely convert. Slot, zone coverage, curl route, QB with bad throw. Slot, off man, dig route, 15 yard gain. Slot, asked him to lead block on an off tackle run and he absolutely whiffed on the LB who stuffed the play. Toss sweep for 2 yard TD run. Bubble screen out wide, made first guy miss, good burst, powered through the final tacklers for a 15 yard gain. Announcers talking about his 4.4 speed, I’m a skeptic, haven’t really seen that at all yet. Slot, zone coverage, slant route, that looked a little bit faster. Inside draw for minimal gain near goal line. Slot, off man, inside slant, didn’t get his head around in time for the throw. Slot, off man, scramble drill, able to come back to the sideline for a 10 yard reception. Slot, zone coverage, dig route, ran through a couple tackle attempts, 15 yard gain. Slot, zone coverage, dig route, nice YAC after the catch up the sideline. Still not seeing 4.4 speed, but it’s definitely average at worst. Slot, off man, corner fade, nice high point catch for the 10 yard TD, CB didn’t really appear to try and defend it. Was able to pad his stats there a little bit late against a semi prevent defense in this blowout loss. Tape was decent, he’s big and fairly athletic, hands looked fine, the ability to run the ball gives him some versatility and probably makes him extra dangerous in the open field. Biggest thing was that he looked like a WR on the tape, not just a RB playing at being a WR. Interesting guy.

Kansas State (2018): Playing slot WR. Slot, zone coverage, dig route, 10 yard gain. Aggressive blocker in the run game, will put some licks on the DBs and drive them away from the run. Did whiff on his block that time and LB able to make tackle on RB for a loss. Slot, off man, curl route, CB able to charge up and swat the ball away. Slot, off man, inside slant for 15 yards. CB must have heard about his speed because he bailed out hard just before Hurd broke off his route into the slant. Slot, zone coverage, inside slant for 10 yard gain. Inside draw for 10 yards, showed some nice burst on that run. Inside draw, 5 yards, announcers talking about how Hurd does a great job of running low despite his height. Slot, zone coverage, inside slant, QB threw the ball behind Hurd, incomplete. Slot, zone coverage, inside slant, 10 yard gain. Off tackle run, able to bounce off the LBs tackle attempt and get out in open space, definitely a long strider, build up type, even racing down the field in open space, he looks like a 4.5 guy, which is great for his size, but this doesn’t look like a freakish athlete to me. And some of that speed is long strides and build up, doesn’t translate well on a play by play basis due to not often being in a situation to go full throttle in a straight line for an extended period of time. Pancake block on safety up in the box on off tackle run, just beelined for him from the slot and KO’d him. Slot, off man, quick out route, 5 yard gain and easy conversion. Dive over the top for a 1 yard TD. Brought him in motion and threw a screen, nice hands catch, able to turn up field for 10 yards. Inside run for 5 yards. Slot, zone coverage, inside slant, ball went right through hurd’s hands. Slot, zone coverage, inside slant, 10 yard gain. KSU seems content to let him catch as many chain moving 10 yard gains on these inside slants as he wants. Game is tight, not sure what they are doing. Slot, zone, inside slant, 10 more yards. I’m learning nothing other than he catches 9 out of 10 inside slant passes and can run this route in his sleep from either side of the formation, especially against zone. I guess these safeties are scared to light him up due to his size, you’d think someone would have just KO’d him by now, they know what he’s running. Slot, zone coverage, inside slant, this was the one he was due to drop, a little behind him and he did. I’m glad KSU lost this game at the end, that’s what they get for giving up free 10 yard slants to anyone who wanted them the entire game. No big deep plays due to all that zone, but Hurd is a pro at that slant. Tape was fine, blocked like a champ most of the time, showed some good interior running ability, caught most of his slant routes. He was a chain moving, possession stud in this game. It’s easy to forget as well out big he is, this is a giant man, average or above average athleticism for someone his size is really impressive.

Texas (2018); Playing slot WR. Lead blocker on a bubble screen whiffed on his block attempt on the LB who stuffed the play. He has at least one glaring whiff on a block per game. The rest of the time he does a solid job, but he can clean up his technique a little bit and not lunge so much. Slot, press man, out route, 15 yard gain. Slot, zone coverage, stop route, five yard gain. Slot, off man, double move on slant to deep corner route, 30 yard gain on play. That route and double move was excellent, completely fooled the DB, did not look like a former RB running that. Slot, zone coverage, seam route for 15 yards. That was nuts, QB just fired it in between four defenders in zone in a super tight window. Ball was on Hurd before he even looked back, so throw and catch were impressive. Slot, zone coverage, inside slant and there was Hurd’s required drop. At least one out of every ten passes he just drops for no reason. Slot, zone coverage, inside slant, high throw, reaches up and makes the catch, takes a big hit, holds on, 10 yard gain. That slant he catches, the ball right to him with nobody around he drops. Go figure. Inside run for 8 yards. Off tackle run, 10 yard gain. Nice jump cut on that run. It’s weird to watch him at RB, he’s so tall and lanky, just doesn’t look right at all. RWR, off man, gave the CB an outside deke, froze him, broke into an inside slant in the end zone, wide open and dropped the pass. Inside draw for a 2 yard TD run. Tried to bounce a run outside, ran laterally all the way to the sideline, Texas just strung him out for a loss on the play. That didn’t look fast at all. Tried to hit him on a 50/50 ball as time expired, but QB threw it too far out the back of the end zone.

TLDR:
                            Have to admit doing these games was beyond tedious. Hurd catches a ton of balls; they are almost always 10 yard slants. There’s not a lot to his game, it’s possession routes and the occasional hand off. Solid athlete, has that versatility, but doesn’t seem like much of a home run or big play threat, which is strange considering his size and apparent speed. Announcers were saying 4.4 speed, I never saw anything close to that, I can believe 4.5 at best and I’m not even sure he’s that fast. Unique build, unique player and versatility. A creative OC might be able to do something fun with him. Lord knows he needs something else to run besides an inside slant.

Note/Explanation: Due to a knee scope, I don't think Hurd has worked out as of yet. I'm leery of his athleticism, though I think it will mostly be fine. Have some off field concerns about why he abruptly left Tennessee and that entire situation. Main thing with Hurd is this, if everything checks out, he's a steal as a movable chess piece which would fit New England like a glove, hopefully the Steelers will be just as creative. The concern is if things don't check out. A little bit of a boom or bust pick, but he has great size and is position flexible, though he's not a good fit at RB at all. Should excel in a short passing game, that's mostly all he did. Point of all this is that if everything checks out with Hurd, he would move up in the rankings, probably quite a bit depending on the athleticism shown.
                            Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 03-30-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Just a reminder, Shananahan gets just 12 hours on the clock for back to back picks, not 24.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                                With the 139th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the TENNESSEE TITANS kick off the fifth round and select:

LB TE'VON CONEY, NOTRE DAME

Te'Von Coney is the #148 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

LB TE’VON CONEY NOTRE DAME

Michigan (2018): Playing MLB in 43 defense, RILB in 34 looks. Run blitz off the edge, able to pivot and tackle up the field for short gain on inside draw. Used in coverage over the TE around the field, doesn’t look overly fluid in space though. Delayed blitz up the middle untouched for a pressure. Tried to run with the TE on a drag route, he was able to make the tackle after the reception, but never really in position to disrupt the play. I’m not seeing any type of speed or athleticism that stands out. I just got done doing some of the other interior LBs and this almost looks like slow motion in contrast. Decent job fighting through the LT’s block at the second level, pretty much treated him as if he wasn’t even there. Quick pass to TE in the flat, Coney clearly runs in mud. Solid read and react wrap up tackle in the hole on the RB. Solid tackle again coming downwhill from MLB and wrapping up the RB on off tackle run. Looks perfectly capable as a two down ILB in the running game. The rest of these tapes will be trying to figure out if he can be anything more. Took a nice angle on a toss sweep, stuffed the RB outside for a loss. Run blitz up the middle, once the QB kept the ball on playaction Coney continued through the line and put a hit on him just as he threw the ball. None of the Michigan TEs really strike me as burners, but Coney can’t run with any of them across the field. He appears to be an absolute liability in coverage. Solid open field wrap up tackle on the scrambling QB. RT got on him at the second level and pushed him back on short yardage TD run. Heads up play scooping up a fumble late in the game to insure the win. So what is Coney? He’s a downhill ILB that does not seem to be athletic at all. He probably needs to play in the box, and can handle some zone coverage, I don’t think you ever want him in man coverage on a TE or RB. Maybe a lead footed blocking TE. Appears to be a sure tackler, can mostly work through OGs and kind of shrug off their second level meddling while moving to the ball carrier, but not every time. Off one tape, I’d say he’s a two down player.

Stanford (2018): Playing ILB in 43 defense. Stays on the field in nickel packages. Read and react, take on RB in the hole for minimal gain. FB got on him at the second level, stepped back to shed the block, redirected and tackled RB to limit the gain. Run blitz up the middle, tackled RB in hole on inside run. Able to read quick curl route to the slot, came over to help on tackle, WR bobbled the catch, able to knock it away for an incompletion. TE able to get on him and push him well out of the play. Outside RB sweep, nowhere near the speed to get to the sideline on that play. Decent job reading the quick hitting curls and slants and assisting in immediate tackles in the middle of the field. Walled off from the hole by the RT, long TD run. Has good instincts and takes good angles, for whatever reason he slowed down on a RB sweep when he had the angle right and the RB was able to get to the outside for a decent gain. Delayed blitz up middle, RB stopped him cold with his block. Once he commits to going forward, struggles to put on the breaks and change direction. Quick curl by the TE in the slot right in front of him, Coney able to break on the ball from zone and disrupt the pass. That’s probably the only way he breaks up a pass is if the receiver stops his route directly in front of him. Club move to shove off the LG at the second level and make the tackle on the RB in the hole for minimal gain. That play is what he is. He can handle the big OGs and shed their blocks and still tackle the RB for minimal gain. RB ran an inside slant from the slot directly in front Coney, and once again he hit the receiver just as the ball got there to break up the pass. He gets credit for playing his zone and making plays to prevent receptions. He barely has to move, but the result is excellent. Able to fight through the LT on a sweep play and help tackle RB for a loss. Nice instincts on that play, he read it and was angled toward the sideline on the snap. Tried the same play, same result in the 3rd quarter. When he reads the play immediately and takes zero false steps, he can mostly overcome his speed deficiency. TE with an out route from the slot, Coney was in zone, read the route and jumped it and actually picked off the ball as well with a nice hands snag. Clearly going to have to rethink him in coverage, he’s done almost perfect in this game. Stanford keeps throwing right in front of him, but that last play was legitimately good. He’s still not a good enough athlete to play man coverage, but I don’t have any problem with him in zone coverage after this tape. Used rip move to disengage from extra OT on running down, able to tackle RB after short gain.

Clemson (2018): Playing ILB in 43 defense. Blitz off edge, able to beat the RG around the outside for a QB pressure. Decent burst chasing the QB to the sideline and putting some pressure on him. There are time Coney looks like a decent athlete, but they are few and far between. Really need the Combine times to nail this down for good. Swing pass to RB in flat, Coney able to make tackle down the field after decent gain. Inside draw to RB, Coney with quick read and helped tackled RB for minimal gain. Playaction RB draw, nice read by Coney, RB tried to jump cut, Coney with the wrap up tackle for minimal gain. Solid tackle on WR in space that was weaving through the defense. Read option by QB, kept ball and went outside, Coney put a huge hit on him. RB tried to juke him on an outside run, Coney plays with great fundamentals, broke down in front of him and just wrapped him up through his hips. Blitz up the A gap inside, trucked the RB in pass pro, sack on QB. Took a great angle on RB screen, able to cut him off at the sideline after a five yard gain, could have been a lot more. Tough game as Clemson kind of threw all over them, mostly deep and working the sidelines.

TLDR:
                                Coney mostly reminds me of Josey Jewell. Love the instincts and the toughness inside. His instincts of almost always taking the correct angle on the play and running to the right spot cover up a lot of his speed issues. He’s a sure tackler, great fundamentals, doesn’t get juked easily. Thought he showed well in zone coverage as long as he doesn’t have to move too much. He’s knows how to play football, you just have to keep him mostly in the box. He’s definitely an asset as someone that can take on OGs, work through their block attempts, and still make tackles on the RB in the hole. I’m not sure if he’s more than a two down player, but I’m not prepared to say he’s not either. He can blitz and play zone, you just don’t want him in man coverage as he lacks speed to run with even TEs. Might fit best as an ILB in a 34 defense where you can cut the field in half. His biggest weakness is that he’s not a sideline to sideline LB. A 34 defense might disguise that weakness.
                                Again, we agree and that’s an excellent write up. Notre Dame has been putting some decent players in the NFL recently. I think Conley is going to be one of them.

I agree that playing inside in a 3-4 defense would benefit Conley so he’s limited to covering a certain area. Would do very well with Vrabel’s defense and with Woodyard getting up there in age, this was a guy we wanted.

Comment

Working...
                                X