Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph might have an MCL injury, apparently has had issues in his knee since high school. Love it.

Sad part is that outcome is probably preferable than him just being a jackass and refusing to do a full workout twice now.

On a related note: Want to trade draft rights to Joseph for a bag of stale doughnuts!

Comment

• Sorry for delay all, have had a trade show in Orlando I was attending.

Comment

• max sharping... sounds like a made up name.

i need to dig into that guy now

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
          Joseph might have an MCL injury, apparently has had issues in his knee since high school. Love it.

Sad part is that outcome is probably preferable than him just being a jackass and refusing to do a full workout twice now.

On a related note: Want to trade draft rights to Joseph for a bag of stale doughnuts!
          The 2019 Orange Mane Mock Draft Mediator Medical award goes to....Mat'hir Uth Gan for drafting the player most likely to fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
            max sharping... sounds like a made up name.

i need to dig into that guy now
            That's the OT I nearly took with my last pick! Great size, PFF pass block rating darling, but clunky kick slide scared me off. JCM note it's actually spelled Scharping, for updating the alpha list!

Comment

• Sharping has good advanced stats in terms of pass pro....although he is not loved by mocks.

bpc is a former Division 1-A OL at the University of Hawaii so he prolly has a good eye for OL

Comment

• With the 100th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the CAROLINA PANTHERS select;

OT MAX SCHARPING, NORTHERN ILLINOIS

Max Scharping is the #83 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

OT MAX SCHARPING NORTHERN ILLINOIS

Utah (2018): Playing LT. Big guy, pretty well-proportioned though. Has a nice wide base, plays with good leverage. Kickslide is poor, shuffle speed is decent, probably going to struggle to defend the outside speed rush. Does have some initial quickness in his pass set, gets off the ball well. Balance continues to look good. Nice job picking up stunt, power looks good, very stout. He’s growing on me with his pass pro, the positives are that he has good initial quickness of the snap, he covers a lot of ground with his side steps, and he’s extremely well balanced which has him in position to push the edge rusher wide. The negatives continue to be that his kickslide gets zero depth and he’s a little bit heavy legged, I still think he’s going to struggle with quickness and speed. Not sure Utah has that type of guy. In the run game, he’s a monster, he’s mostly asked to positional block, but he just shoves these guys out of the way. Really nice job on a quick inside spin move on redirect from an arc rush, wasn’t fooled, stayed balanced, shut it down. I wasn’t sure he could do that, and that was against Anae, Utah’s best DE. I’m starting to get really interested now. Bullrushed back a little bit so that he pinched the QB by the big NT. Beaten on inside spin off a redirect that time, but had help from the LG picking him up, so probably overset to the outside on purpose. He’s had a fair amount of help this game between the TE lined up next to him, the hback chipping, the LG on double teams, and rolling the pocket away from his side. Not sure he needed it, but he’s only asked to man block the edge rusher about half the time at most. Does ok with blocking at second level, he’s a fairly fluid athlete, especially for his size. Beaten inside on a quick outside in move for a pressure, guy mostly just sliced inside on him. One of the few blemishes on his performance where he dominated in the run game and looked good protecting the edge in pass pro. I think he might be legit, worst case probably a move to RT.

FSU (2018): Playing LT. Handled Burns 1v1 on the edge, kickslide is lacking, took all he had to get wide enough to keep Burns from getting around him. That matchup will be interesting. Feet look ok, gets good distance with his shuffle, shows good balance. Pretty nasty in the run game, like to shove the DE and knock him back, then run up and shove him back again. People mover. Almost immovable against the bull rush by the DTs. They are covering him up with a TE often, so he’s blocking inside a lot. You could see a really seamless transition to OG if need be. Seems to have long arms, has some recovery ability on the outside in move. He’s exceptional at positional blocking, wide base, seems very strong, just completely walls people off. Big guy, heavy legged, but doesn’t lumber, effective in space at the second level. Pretty good speed rush by the DE, thought he was by him, but Scharping recovered and just shoved him wide with those long arms and strength. This is a little bit like Cam Robinson. I expect there to be a lot of opinions on where he should play, so far, I think he can stick at LT, especially on a run first team. It’s early in the 4th quarter, but so far he has absolutely dominated Burns. Outside of that very first edge rush, Burns hasn’t come close to beating him, and he’s tried a variety of moves. This is close to a perfect game so far for Scharping. I say that and then Burns does kind of beat him around the arc, but Scharping shoved him down as the QB stepped up. Burns has a good first step off the snap, he got around him, but Scharping was able to recover, which is something he consistently does. Burns tried speed rush after speed rush late, Scharping handled him easily. Great job on inside spin move. I thought this was outstanding tape, and I feel better about him sticking at LT. Burns looked legit with his burst, Scharping handled him both outside and on his inside redirect.

BYU (2018): Playing LT. Nice job picking up OLB on delayed rush. Easily walling off people in the run game. Hunkers down extremely well against the bull rush. Plays with great body control and balance, hands are always up and ready to punch, he just looks fundamentally smooth. Good push in short yardage situations. Easily ran Kaufusi wide on an arc rush, that was the first time they lined up against each other all game. Great block on LB at the second level to help spring decent inside run. Does a good job attacking the defenders hands and slapping them down. Blocked three different people on inside run near goal line. Never see him on the ground that often, balance really is borderline elite. Big push at goal line, ran behind him for the short TD. Kaufusi tried an outside arc rush with a rip inside, he shut it down. Nice combo block followed by kickout block on OLB on off tackle run for decent gain. This was a perfect game. Only went against Kaufusi a handful of times, handled him easily. Was extremely dominant in the run game, many times blocking multiple people on each play. Also looked great when asked to positional block and play with a little bit of finesse. In pass pro, he held the edge against the arc rush with no problems, shut down a few inside moves, and was immovable by the bull rush. Would give him a flawless grade for this game in all aspects.

TLDR:
                This is one of the better senior OTs in this draft, at least that I have done so far, which is most. He’s not as nimble as you’d like, but he’s really technically sound and moves well for a huge guy. I compared him to Cam Robinson earlier, and that’s not bad, but he’s a little more fluid in pass pro, maybe a better comp is Andrew Whitworth. And if by some chance he struggles at either OT position, he’s probably an elite OG. I really like him.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
                  Sharping has good advanced stats in terms of pass pro....although he is not loved by mocks.

bpc is a former Division 1-A OL at the University of Hawaii so he prolly has a good eye for OL
                  How am I just learning this now??

Comment

• MUG trying to trade his rights now.....lol.

We can do that this year per JCM for picks in the draft, although it hasn't been done yet. I tried twice to trade for Justin Layne's rights but Med wouldn't bite.

Comment

• Hey MUG, in the earlier QB thread, you had Tyree Jackson ranked just under Jarrett Stidham, but on the final 300 evaluation you have him a fair bit lower. What factors caused him to go down in your rankings?

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
                        MUG trying to trade his rights now.....lol.

We can do that this year per JCM for picks in the draft, although it hasn't been done yet. I tried twice to trade for Justin Layne's rights but Med wouldn't bite.
                        I actually think you have the slightly better CB in Williams and the chatter is half the Scouts think your safety will play corner in the NFL too.

Comment

• Originally posted by eddie mac View Post

I actually think you have the slightly better CB in Williams and the chatter is half the Scouts think your safety will play corner in the NFL too.
                          In terms of the corners I was targeting for us I had them ranked 1) Layne 2) Mullen 3) Williams and then there is a big dropoff in terms of what I was looking for. I like Williams alot, especially with his pro day numbers but the other two a little more.

Gardner-Johnson will be an elite FS with his range and closing speed in breaking on the ball. It is unreal. He can play slot corner also which increases his value as he did in 2018 but his long term position is FS with his athletic gifts and that is what our plan for him is....to be Earl Thomas for us in Cov 1 and Cov 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Samsa Gregor View Post
                            Hey MUG, in the earlier QB thread, you had Tyree Jackson ranked just under Jarrett Stidham, but on the final 300 evaluation you have him a fair bit lower. What factors caused him to go down in your rankings?
                            Pre-draft process. It's more on Lock actually pulling close to even with Stidham as my top QB as opposed to anything Jackson did. I actually moved every QB down one full round from my Nov/Dec ranking once the 150 or whatever juniors came out and I dug a little bit more into the WR tape. I still like Jackson a ton, but it is clear he's going to need some time to develop, but I think he has the most upside potential in this draft, not sure the percentage that he reaches it, but I'm high on that arm talent and athleticism.

Also, as a very important sidenote, this draft game Top 300 is NOT my final 300. I had to cram this 300 together before a lot of the Pro Days and even before I'm finished with all the tape I want to do for this game. I'll make one last final 300 a week or so before the draft when all the pre-draft information is in and complete. For instance, I have Vosean Joseph in the 1st round, but if he has to have surgery on his knee or some other nonsense comes to light with his Pro Day refusal to test, he'll be moving down. There probably won't be a lot of movement, but any new injury news or results from Pro Days the last few weeks will impact to some degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by eddie mac View Post
                              There was one evaluator Med and I had a lot of respect for. The guy either knew his stuff or he was getting good inside info from Scouts around the league. Anyone remember Nolan Nawrocki? Nolan used to bring out a draft planner about a month before the draft with the exact round he though every draftable player would go in.
                              Nawrocki was the best draft evaluator out there for a few years.... essentially picked up where Joel Buchsbuam at PFW left off when he died. Really nobody else as good as those two for the last 30 years.

Comment

• Nice pick of Scharping, you !#$%!@#$!.

Comment

Working...
                                X