• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the 96th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the WASHINGTON REDSKINS select;

RB DAMIEN HARRIS, ALABAMA

Damien Harris is the #72 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

RB DAMIEN HARRIS ALABAMA

Arkansas (2018): Playing in a shotgun scheme. Nice draw up the middle, showed good speed, burst, and balance. Runs hard, breaks tackles. Outlet pass, able to make first guy miss, can make sharp cuts at top speed. Runs with great forward lean and power, absolutely trucks DBs. Everything looks good, speed, cutting ability and agility, power, hands, it all looks good so far. Nice run up the middle, blocking was great, but he’s quick to the hole and slashes once he gets in space. Does a nice job of knowing when to slash and avoid contact and when to just square up and truck the would be tackler. Short TD where he just barreled his way in. Almost impossible to tackle him with arm tackles. Looks a lot like Mark Ingram but maybe with more speed. He’s a squatty cannonball that literally looks shot out of a cannon on almost every run. Appears to have everything you look for in a RB. Had to hammer him four straight times, but eventually got the ball in the end zone near the goal line. Did not play in the 4th quarter of this blow out. He looks like a plug and play stud RB, definitely has all the physical tools. Didn’t see him in pass pro and need to see more of his hands, but he should be in the running for top RB in this draft.

Missouri (2018): Playing in a shotgun scheme. Looking solid in pass pro, squares up and holds his ground. He does tend to release on outlet routes the majority of the time though. Strong inside runner, good speed, like a downhill bowling ball. Chunk gain on off tackle run where he got outside, made a few cuts, showed good patience setting up blocks, and slashed to a big gain. He doesn’t always seek out contact, he’ll alternate between ramming people and trying to slash to daylight. Screen pass, looks fluid catching the ball and immediately squaring up and getting up field, took big hit at the end, popped up. Outlet pass for a big gain, though he bobbled and almost dropped it originally. Really getting bottled up a lot by the Missouri front, they are hitting him in the backfield frequently and it’s all he can do to gain a yard or two. Nice job on a sweep where he completely stopped, reversed direction, made a few cuts and got a chunk gain. Has good feet and agility for a bigger back. Stuffed on 4th and 1 near the goal line. He runs powerfully, but he’s not a pure power back that moves people, he’ll break arm tackles consistently, but he’s not going to run D-linemen over. He can make some yardage on his own with his athleticism and moves at the line, but he’s far more effective if he can get a few steps and get up to top speed before having to make people miss. Goal line TD where he got stuffed diving over the top, but he landed on his feet and spun out and ran around the end for the score. Had some tough sledding in this game as Missouri did a nice job of penetrating up front, but was able to make some plays regardless. Thought he looked solid in pass pro, still not sure about his hands, but he has caught all the balls so far, just outlet stuff though.

Clemson (2018): Playing in a shotgun scheme. Missed block in pass pro on ILB blitz up A gap, just too late to react. Draw up the middle, good power to bounce off initial tackle attempts and then showed some agility with a spin move to pick up some more YAC. More inside runs, gets north south pretty quickly, tends to get what is blocked plus a little bit more after contact, always falls forward. Only playing about half the snaps if that early on. Three back rotation going on, he seems to be the second in the rotation to Jacobs but ahead of the other Harris. Taken out on 4th and 1 in favor of Jacobs whom converted. Stuffed near goal line on shovel pass, not his fault, DL just penetrated. Decent job picking up ILB blitz that time in pass pro. Technique is bad, just kind of throws a shoulder but he slowed him down. Quick little curl route out of the backfield, ball clanged off his hands and up into the air, lucky it wasn’t picked off. Draw up middle, breaks arm tackles almost every time, pretty much a hammer inside with some speed. Outside sweep, able to get to the corner and up the sideline for 10 yards. Speed looks above average, not great. Missed block on DE slicing inside in pass pro. He’s one for three in picking up rushers in pass protection and he had the dropped pass on his lone attempt. That’s not going to keep you on the field as a three down RB. Off tackle run up the middle for 8 yards, whatever his top speed is, he gets to it quickly, runs with good power and pad level. Decent job coming across and picked up CB on blitz off edge, once again though, no technique, just turns and throws a shoulder. Decent job picking up DE coming clean off the edge, mostly just got in his way, but he kept him off the QB. Quick arrow route out of backfield, solid hands catch, decent gain before getting pushed out of bounds. Good effort charging off tackle at the goal line, but stood up for no gain. Stuffed on 3rd down as well.

TLDR:
    So, overall, Harris is mostly a two down RB with plus power, balance, and overall running ability. Speed is above average, but nothing great. Pass pro and receiving ability are mostly suspect, I’ll say average at best. Surprised he struggled at the goal line as much as he did on these tapes. Interesting that by the end of the season, he had been clearly usurped as the starting RB on the team. I think he’s a fairly safe, if boring and non-dynamic RB option. Could be the power aspect of a committee. A poor man’s Mark Ingram would be along the right line of comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post

The person I am probably going to pick has a high likelihood of snapping the 4/4 MUG approval streak so I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you.

Plus, if you are right about N'Keal Harry, I've already got Scribe beat and it's all gravy from here on out.
      I could have drafted Tom, Dick and Harry and you'd still fall victim to well...yourself.

Comment

• With the 97th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS select;

WR MILES BOYKIN, NOTRE DAME

Miles Boykin is the #40 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

WR MILES BOYKIN NOTRE DAME

Vanderbilt (2018); Playing outside WR and slot at times. Solid blocker in run game, he can really shove the DBs around and drive them out of a play. Slot, off man, out route, QB went elsewhere. Doesn’t run the sharpest routes, kind of rounded that one, but serviceable. He’s not rigid or tight. RWR, press man, corner fade, CB tackled him in the end zone while ball in the air. Will use his body to post up the DB like in basketball, shoves his butt into their abdomen and everything. RWR, off man, Go route, 50/50 moon ball, Boykin vs CB Williams, refs let them play and tussle for position, Boykin able to fight Williams off and cradle the catch, but foot was out of bounds and ball came out when he twisted awkwardly to the ground. My takeaways from that single play are that Boykin is going to post up on NFL CBs and catch 50/50 balls regularly. Hand eye coordination is good, strength is good, athleticism is good. That’s a big physical CB he was able to outmuscle and get position on. Like the ball skills. RWR, press man, fade into the end zone, CB tackled him out of bounds, somehow no flag. Pancake block on the DB on QB scramble. Boykin has been dynamite blocking this entire game, easily one of, if not the best blocking WRs in this draft. RWR, press man, Go route up sideline, CB able to reach back and deflect the back shoulder throw. Tip of the cap to the CB on that play. LWR, off man, inside slant, 10 yard gain. Slot, off man, sharp out route that he then broke into a corner route once the outside WR cut across him. That was a neat little route design, Boykin ran it perfectly. The other end of that play was Boykin making an insane diving hands catch on the corner fade but it was thrown way too far out of bounds. Still, that catch was insane. Hands, athleticism, effort. All big time check marks. I thought this was excellent tape, most of it against a solid CB prospect. Boykin is big, fast, athletic, has great hands, and is a dynamite blocker. His route running can be more refined, but he flashed a couple crisp routes as well. Looks like a complete WR, a prototype.

Stanford (2018); Playing outside WR and slot. LWR, off man, sharp out route for 10 yards. Nice block down field on QB scramble to help pick up a first down. Slot, zone coverage, intermediate out route, 15 yard gain. Rounded that one off against zone coverage. Noticed that many of the WRs tend to round off routes against zone, wonder why that is. LWR, zone coverage, really nice hands pluck on a lowish throw, 5 yard gain. Boykin has flashed some elite level hands at times. LWR, off man, Go route up sideline, QB went elsewhere. Deep speed off the line looks average. One of the last things I need to figure out about Boykin is his play speed, I love everything else. Outside screen, five yard gain, went down fairly easily. Would like to see him power through a little more, but he’s not all that thick and strong. A little bit more of a tall and lean guy to some degree. RWR, off man, inside slant, took a big hit on the catch and held on, 10 yard gain. LWR, out route, 10 yard gain. Again, not the most crisp of route runners, nothing is overly sharp, there’s not a lot of head bobs and inside dekes, but he is pretty fluid for such a big WR on these breaks. LWR, off man, stop route, 10 yard gain. As long as Stanford is giving him this cushion, the QB seems intent on hitting ten yard gains every play. Game is tied, so not sure why the defense is doing this. LWR, zone coverage, corner route in soft spot of zone, juked safety to the inside for some YAC, 30 yard gain. Continuing to show he’s one of the best blocking WRs in the draft, has no problem blocking down inside on LBs, gets good push on the DBs at the second level. Any run oriented team is going to move him up just due to his blocking. Hard to move him up too much more though, he’s already one of the best WRs in this class. LWR, press man, charged right through the jam on Go route, unable to make spinning back shoulder catch on ball overthrown out of bounds. I like seeing the athleticism though. LWR, press man, the play I just described before this, this time the QB threw a catchable ball and Boykin made the twisting falling catch to convert a 3rd and long. Largely being CB Holder in this game, who is a solid prospect in his own right as a bigger press CB. It’s tough to slow Boykin down. RWR, off man, 10 yard out route where Boykin caught the ball with outstretched hands, just using his fingers and then immediately stuck it across the first down maker as he was getting tackled. LWR, press man, good separation on CB but QB underthrew ball, Boykin almost able to reach back over CB for a circus catch but CB able to knock it away. Should have been thrown deep for a long TD. Screen outside, a couple blockers, Boykin ran through some tackle attempt for the 10 yard TD. Really good tape again, this guy is a stud. Didn’t get a definitive look at his long speed, but he was beating CBs off the line and had steps deep at times. I think he’s average at worst. Going to be really high on my board.

Clemson (2018); Playing outside WR and slot. LWR, press man, Go route, CB Mullen able to cut off his route a bit with just physical play. That’s kind of his thing, so this should be interesting if they battle a lot. Great block by Boykin on the CB to spring the RB on long off tackle run. LWR, press man, Go route, ball badly underthrown, CB wouldn’t let Boykin come back for the ball, so that drew a PI. Another nice block on the DB on off tackle run, Boykin just smothers these guys. Getting some feeling for his speed in this game, the CBs are now bailing out on the snap, and I think Boykin is right around average, maybe a little bit above average. A bit of a long strider, he’s going to test better than his gaming speed for sure, they always do. LWR, press man, Go route, no jam, this was just a straight race between Boykin and CB Terrell, those two are very similar speed, but no idea how fast Terrell is, so yeah, doesn’t help. Ball overthrown on the play. LWR, press man, Boykin swatted down the jam attempt, broke inside on slant route, made catch and took a big hit from the LB. 5 yard gain. Slot, press man, Boykin able to shove the DB away and beat the jam, QB under heavy pressure and just threw up a floater, CB able to cut underneath and swat it away. RWR, zone, inside slant, QB with a bad throw, incomplete. LWR, press man, Go route, nice back shoulder catch for 30 yards. Never tipped off the CB that the ball was almost there until he quickly stopped and snagged it. One question that has been answer for sure at this point is that Boykin is very difficult to jam, they are all trying, they are all failing. RWR, press bail, stop route, 5 yard gain. LWR, press man, Go route, CB too physical with pinching him to the sideline on throw, Boykin drew yet another PI on the defense. LWR, press man, post route, had the CB beat and open in the end zone, ball was underthrown and Boykin unable to make the twisting back shoulder catch. Definitely should have been able to make that catch, has before. He has some build up long speed, nothing blazing, but the Clemson DBs are all good athlete and he’s out running them. LWR, zone coverage, corner route, 20 yard gain. Stopped in soft spot of zone, QB put the ball in a good spot on the sideline, pushed out immediately on reception. Thought this was consistently strong tape again in all aspects.

TLDR:
        I think his speed is above average, not great, though he can build it up on deep routes if in the open field, but on a Go route with the CB contesting him, just average to above average speed. However, his hands are excellent, his size is excellent, he’s athletic in terms of being able to twist, jump, or dive for the ball. And you can’t really jam him or push him around. This is a very difficult WR to cover. Played well in the slot and outside, I think this is one of the best WRs in the draft. Definitely one of the best blocking WRs in the draft, if not the absolute best.

Comment

• I suspected Boykin would be up there for you. So your type.

Comment

• Man there is an undrafted elephant in the room that I really want to discuss.

Comment

• There's quite a few of them. We'll get there.

Comment

• MUG's #28 overall prospect is still available. Someone please find who is this individual.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                  MUG's #28 overall prospect is still available. Someone please find who is this individual.
                  How can you not know this?!??!

Comment

• Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

I could have drafted Tom, Dick and Harry and you'd still fall victim to well...yourself.
                    Lol.....you're still losing Scribe.

At this point you are down 17 in the mid 3rd quarter with a noodle armed QB and a team built to run.

Good luck.

The guy I'm looking at with 4A is intriguing and is worth the risk. I think there is very sound reasoning for this pick but I just get the feeling MUG hates him.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post

Lol.....you're still losing Scribe.

At this point you are down 17 in the mid 3rd quarter with a noodle armed QB and a team built to run.

Good luck.

The guy I'm looking at with 4A is intriguing and is worth the risk. I think there is very sound reasoning for this pick but I just get the feeling MUG hates him.
                      I don't trust you at all! It's probably one of my highest rated players.

Comment

• so David Long was your 2nd highest player left when the Seahawks picked?

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos23 View Post
                          so David Long was your 2nd highest player left when the Seahawks picked?
                          Third.

And good luck figuring out my board fellas, I looked at ZERO draft sites when I stacked it. It's all pure tape with a little sprinkle of pre-draft process and a dash of draft history tendencies. It's also probably completely inaccurate, so if I like your selection, you might be in trouble.

Comment

• I bet I know who it is. Check your message MUG

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmelo15 View Post
                              I bet I know who it is. Check your message MUG
                              Spot on. I have no idea how you knew my top rated guy was from the Sunbelt Conference. Lets see if anyone is smart enough to draft him in the next 13 selections before I do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

Spot on. I have no idea how you knew my top rated guy was from the Sunbelt Conference. Lets see if anyone is smart enough to draft him in the next 13 selections before I do!
                                My pick is right behind yours! darn...

Comment

Working...
                                X