This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carmelo15 View Post
    Nice pick Req. We always have the same taste in players. I thought about taking Hooker in the trade up to 80. I know he is most likely going to be drafted higher than Jaquon Johnson. But ultimately I value a successful career than winning the points game. Man this game is a lot of fun tho! Can't believe how faster we are going this year!
    Hooker is criminally underrated. Some would say he was a tough projection based on him playing a lot of STAR this year, you don't get to see a lot of him covering the back-end (halves or thirds) of the defense and without All-22 and how TV tape is, it's tough to diagnose. They ended up changing things up defensively at Iowa to use him as a Swiss Army knife against opposing offenses. Basically a LB/S hybrid. You have to go back a year to see him covering deeper in the secondary and they had him playing SS / FS interchangeably.

His combine was off the charts and it put together some qualms I had concerning athleticism. I would love if Denver took him. He has the ability to be a key on opposing tight ends and be a match-up toy for many DC's. I'm not banking on Cravens and while Parks was solid last year, it's his final year. As it is for Simmons. DEN will be selecting a safety, I have no doubts of that.

To me, Hooker is great in zone coverage, aggressive in run support and has great instincts. I believe he would do well under Fangio and Donatell. The Eagles have a lot of Q's in their secondary and Sendejo is really a stop-gap. Jenkins is getting long in the tooth. I think a versatile guy like Hooker would pay big dividends for Schwartz in Philly. They certainly need help there. He and Cajuste were my second-round targets. I was able to trade down and get extra fourth and fifth and still nab him. When I saw all those safeties coming off the board, I was a bit concerned.

Very happy with how things have played out for the Eagles. Taking a RB in the first wasn't my plan or goal, I would have taken Dillard had he been there, but Houston swooped him up. Jacobs just fit a HUGE need and is a three-down option for the Eagles, who literally have nobody worth merit.

I've selected the Eagles RB of the future, a quality OL who I think sticks long-term at LT as a replacement for Peters and a versatile DB to bolster their secondary. I have three fourth-round picks, two fifths, and two sixths left. There is still A LOT of quality talent on the board and I am feeling great about just letting things fall to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
      I'm 4/4 with MUG, Scribe should just concede.

I like what we have added to the secondary with Gardner-Johnson at FS and Williams at CB.

I tried to move up to get Layne but Med wouldn't bite, then tried to move up for Mullen but it didn't work, Williams was the last of the three CBs I identified would be a good fit for us given his length, physicality and man cover skills in press as a boundary outside CB. I couldn't strike out so I had to move up from 88 to 84. Just couldn't take that risk after losing the others.
      I concede that you both have lost your minds. Then again, that was never truly in question.

Comment

• Allen is more than fine at this point in the draft. Nothing too flashy about him, but I think in either an even or odd front, you get an above-average starter who can really help against the run and get an occasional boost against the pass. He has a good arsenal of pass rush moves that make up for his athleticism (lack of) and he gives it 125% every snap. He has good technique and is able to compete for snaps right away. I like the pick. Very solid value at this point in time. You could have done a lot worse!

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmelo15 View Post
          Nice pick Req. We always have the same taste in players. I thought about taking Hooker in the trade up to 80. I know he is most likely going to be drafted higher than Jaquon Johnson. But ultimately I value a successful career than winning the points game. Man this game is a lot of fun tho! Can't believe how faster we are going this year!
          Jaquan Johnson ran slow again today at Pro Day. 4.77 an 4.79. Probably goes undrafted with those numbers. Sucks because he was one of my favorite players ever at Miami.

Comment

• I'm a big fan of Gardner-Johnson and Williams. They have a lot of risk to them, but I think there is tremendous upside with both of them. Usually, I **** on SoCal's picks, but I think he got good value for both of them and they fill long-term needs for his franchise. He is doing a good job avoiding Eli Harold's and Jeff Luc's. Will have to wait three years to know for sure, but on paper, I like where he is going.

Comment

• Originally posted by jebures View Post

Jaquan Johnson ran slow again today at Pro Day. 4.77 an 4.79. Probably goes undrafted with those numbers. Sucks because he was one of my favorite players ever at Miami.
              That's still 1 full second faster than your 40-yard dash.

Comment

• Originally posted by Requiem View Post

That's still 1 full second faster than your 40-yard dash.
                I ran a 4.65 as a senior in high school. Now I'd probably rip every muscle in my legs in the first 10 meters.

Comment

• Originally posted by 24champ View Post

I actually agree with your assessment. I have a second round grade on him, myself since he compares to Derek Wolfe and Allen models his game after Wolfe.

He has great tape, not the most fluid or athletic and that will knock him down a peg.

That being said, I could be wrong, I thought you said earlier in the thread you would give significantly more weight to the tape for your rankings than other other factors which could cause some big differences between your rankings and others. I was just a little surprised with Allen’s tape and your 105 ranking.

We’ll see how Allen stacks up in the RL draft. Maybe your way off on him like you were with Scherff. (Insert smiley emoji since we don’t have those on the OM).

Yeah, what I do with my prospect grading is I give a range based off the tape, I usually limit to two rounds, so generally something like 3rd-4th Round, 1st-2nd Round, 7th-UDFA, etc... And that's my grade. Then, the pre-draft process occurs and I limit myself to reacting to one full round push/pull based on the pre-draft process. So, 3rd-4th could then become 2nd-3rd OR 4th-5th OR stay the same, which is what I usually do. The massive influx of underclassmen in this draft, record levels, also impacted that even more than normal as well, so I did move people down more often than I usually have in the past. Once that is done, I put all the guys that have a particular round listed in their grade on the board, so for the second round, that would include all players with a 1st-2nd or 2nd-3rd ranking. And then I pull out the top 32 guys for that round (more if comp picks are involved) and automatically put the remaining guys into the next round. Obviously, I work from the 1st round down. What usually happens is that I don't have enough 1st round guys, so I usually push 2nd rounders into the late 1st. And then somewhere around the 4th round area, my 3rd round guys start getting pushed back into the 4th and then that kind of snowballs all the way to the UDFA rankings. By the time I get to the 7th round, I'm usually filling that with guys I ranked as 5th and 6th rounders on tape.

The entire ranking thing is hard. I remember a lot of my write ups, and I have them on file dating pretty far back, so I try and compare notes, though I've only really started doing quality game tape breakdowns the last few years, so the earlier ones are pretty useless. I try and find historical comparisons, I have massive spreadsheets and data points from all the previous drafts I've done, so those are easy to pull up and compare. I have all the measurables and then subsequent draft position, so I can see how certain things correlate. And I just try and put the players in some form of reasonable progression. Breaking down tape and reporting what is happening is easy once you do it enough to know what you're looking at. Stacking a draft board based on all that data, insanely hard. Definitely still learning how to be better at it.

As for Scherff, my rant was because Jacksonville drafted him and they had just spent a ton of money in FA filling up their entire OL. There was NO way that Jacksonville was taking him in RL, so I wanted the pinch drafter to re-pick someone more realistic. I was furious they didn't know team needs for like the 3rd pick in the entire draft. It was an over-reaction. But....here it is in all it's glory.

Ok, so it's clear our pinch drafter knows nothing about football or pays attention to Free Agency. Be warned people. The Scherff pick is the dumbest selection I've ever seen in this game.
                  I'm angry about ColoradoBuff screwing this up. I am. But I don't feel his draft should be ruined by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
                  I'm in favor of firing the pinch drafter. And finding a new one that knows something about the teams and knows what happened in Free Agency. The Jags have a 1st Round pick at LT, they paid 30 million for a RT, both of their OGs played at a Pro Bowl level last year, and they are happy with their rookie OC's progress.
                  They are not going O-line in this draft, especially early, if at all. They are taking a LEO in the 1st Round. It's going to be Beasley, Gregory, Ray, or Fowler. Those are the only options.
                  https://www.orangemane.com/forum/ora...m/7673-/page16

Maybe if ColoradoBuff shows up before Rugbythug picks, he can amend it.
                  The only thing I hate more than having someone miss their pick and holding us all up is having to pinch draft for someone in the 1st Round. Let alone the #3 Overall selection. That's mind-boggling to me that someone missed that pick, especially when they've been on the clock for a week.
                  And the only thing I hate more than both of those combined is if the pinch drafter clearly didn't pay attention to Free Agency.
                  Yes, the Jags needed a RT in the worst way. This WAS true. They decided to go with Jermey Parnell, 5 Years and 32 Million.
                  The entire REASON we waited to start the draft was to allow for Free Agency to being, so we could see where the big ticket starters were going, so THIS draft could have a semblance of realism.
                  The entire point of our start date was just erased because the pinch drafter didn't pay attention to Free Agency.
                  We might as well have started 3 months ago and said **** it to being realistic.
                  Clearly, I'm irate.
                  I want that pick erased. I want that pinch drafter gone from this game.
                  At this point, I can replace ColoradoBuff with someone that gives a damn to run the Jags, they can make the pick, and we can move on.
                  https://www.orangemane.com/forum/ora...m/7673-/page17

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                    Oh...Req dropping bombs on Mediator. Get em Med!
                    Nothing but love for Med. Tillery is a good player, I'm just giving him a hard time. He is being underrated because this DL class is so deep. I think the surgery will drop him a bit, but he is 1st round player off tape. Harmon is great too, it's a steal and I know he is someone Med would have felt comfortable taking earlier too. He is the type of receiver Indy needs, even with them signing Funchess.

FWIW, I think Layne will get drafted high and he has A LOT of upside (perhaps the most in this draft), but he had a lot of ugly tape and gave up a lot of big plays in several of the games I studied. Lockdown for 85 percent of the game, but the 15 percent he was getting beat it wasn't pretty. McLaurin made him his bitch. I am not sure if you graded his OSU tape, but it was dog****, IMHO. He is not yet the sum of all his parts, but if he ends up putting it all together, you have a true #1 CB at the next level. So I can see where Med is coming from.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

Yeah, what I do with my prospect grading is I give a range based off the tape, I usually limit to two rounds, so generally something like 3rd-4th Round, 1st-2nd Round, 7th-UDFA, etc... And that's my grade. Then, the pre-draft process occurs and I limit myself to reacting to one full round push/pull based on the pre-draft process. So, 3rd-4th could then become 2nd-3rd OR 4th-5th OR stay the same, which is what I usually do. The massive influx of underclassmen in this draft, record levels, also impacted that even more than normal as well, so I did move people down more often than I usually have in the past. Once that is done, I put all the guys that have a particular round listed in their grade on the board, so for the second round, that would include all players with a 1st-2nd or 2nd-3rd ranking. And then I pull out the top 32 guys for that round (more if comp picks are involved) and automatically put the remaining guys into the next round. Obviously, I work from the 1st round down. What usually happens is that I don't have enough 1st round guys, so I usually push 2nd rounders into the late 1st. And then somewhere around the 4th round area, my 3rd round guys start getting pushed back into the 4th and then that kind of snowballs all the way to the UDFA rankings. By the time I get to the 7th round, I'm usually filling that with guys I ranked as 5th and 6th rounders on tape.

The entire ranking thing is hard. I remember a lot of my write ups, and I have them on file dating pretty far back, so I try and compare notes, though I've only really started doing quality game tape breakdowns the last few years, so the earlier ones are pretty useless. I try and find historical comparisons, I have massive spreadsheets and data points from all the previous drafts I've done, so those are easy to pull up and compare. I have all the measurables and then subsequent draft position, so I can see how certain things correlate. And I just try and put the players in some form of reasonable progression. Breaking down tape and reporting what is happening is easy once you do it enough to know what you're looking at. Stacking a draft board based on all that data, insanely hard. Definitely still learning how to be better at it.

As for Scherff, my rant was because Jacksonville drafted him and they had just spent a ton of money in FA filling up their entire OL. There was NO way that Jacksonville was taking him in RL, so I wanted the pinch drafter to re-pick someone more realistic. I was furious they didn't know team needs for like the 3rd pick in the entire draft. It was an over-reaction. But....here it is in all it's glory.

https://www.orangemane.com/forum/ora...m/7673-/page16

https://www.orangemane.com/forum/ora...m/7673-/page17
                      A franchise OG never did nothing to you. NOTHING!

Comment

Nothing but love for Med. Tillery is a good player, I'm just giving him a hard time. He is being underrated because this DL class is so deep. I think the surgery will drop him a bit, but he is 1st round player off tape. Harmon is great too, it's a steal and I know he is someone Med would have felt comfortable taking earlier too. He is the type of receiver Indy needs, even with them signing Funchess.

FWIW, I think Layne will get drafted high and he has A LOT of upside (perhaps the most in this draft), but he had a lot of ugly tape and gave up a lot of big plays in several of the games I studied. Lockdown for 85 percent of the game, but the 15 percent he was getting beat it wasn't pretty. McLaurin made him his bitch. I am not sure if you graded his OSU tape, but it was dog****, IMHO. He is not yet the sum of all his parts, but if he ends up putting it all together, you have a true #1 CB at the next level. So I can see where Med is coming from.

I love that Harmon pick. I think he is going to be very productive in the NFL. Layne...it might just be the Michigan fan in me hating on him, but I don't see it.

Comment

I ran a 4.65 as a senior in high school. Now I'd probably rip every muscle in my legs in the first 10 meters.
                          Do you remember the name of that like 21 year old senior from Pierre who ended up playing for USD a while back? He was fast. Quincy Christie I think. He housed it 4 times in a game against Huron. Just a god-damned blur. My friend also got knocked out of the game and was taken away in an ambulance after being decapitated on a LB blitz up the middle that he didn't see coming. Just a shame, he should have never been playing QB anyways. He was 6'4 1/2", 195 and was running 4.6. Should have been our stud WR, but our QB broke his ankle prior to the season in practice. He wasn't ever going to go to a big school, but he had a chance for FCS or DII ball for sure.

SODAK FOOTBALL BABY. CHAD GREENWAY!

Comment

• Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

A franchise OG never did nothing to you. NOTHING!
                            Got me an All-Pro pick with Nelson last year.

**** the bed with Ronald Jones. Hopefully he lays off the percocet and weed and does OK next year. Maybe Arians can salvage his stupid ass.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Gardner-Johnson and Williams. They have a lot of risk to them, but I think there is tremendous upside with both of them. Usually, I **** on SoCal's picks, but I think he got good value for both of them and they fill long-term needs for his franchise. He is doing a good job avoiding Eli Harold's and Jeff Luc's. Will have to wait three years to know for sure, but on paper, I like where he is going.
                              See, what you ain't fina do is pretend that Jaelen Strong didn't happen. Oh Jaelen Strong happened.

Comment

You are describing my life. Ran the 40 against my brother at the draft last year outside Cowboys Stadium. Pulled my hammy in the first 10 so bad it was bruised down to my calf for two weeks. I'm officially washed

Comment

Working...
                                X