Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2019 Orange Mane Mock Draft DISCUSSION Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I love fast, kamikaze type guys that'll knock you out.
    Same

    ive drafted jaquiski tartt and siran Neal in the past due to similar traits.

    I share the same concerns as you w Savage though. There was one play in particular on the osu film where he was caught looking in the backfield and an osu receiver flew past him for what should've been a huge gain. Savage showed off his makeup speed but was still a step behind and Haskins just overthrew it.

    He's a subpackage player immediately imo but he has the physical talent to develop further. Like you said though, he's got to learn to play disciplined. Ideally teams are probably looking for a little more length when matching up against te and super sized slots. I liked Thornhill because although I don't think his ceiling is as high, he still offers that athleticism, coverage skill, and apparently a higher football iq or at least a smaller inclination to freelance.

    Comment


    • Darnell Savage, Jr. is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. That kid just makes plays and brings the lumber 200 percent of the time. He never dials it down. He is basically Ricky Bobby on the football field. "I wanna go fast!" That mentality causes some mental lapses and blown coverages, but he's exciting as Hell to watch. When he starts going forward it's like he got launched out of a cannon.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by eddie mac View Post
        I'm gonna put this out there right now, thankfully I'll have a far higher 1st rd pick in 2020 :-)
        The luck of the ****in' Irish. I thought TE was going to be your R2 selection, but figured OT was in the mix given who was lost in FA. Good selection bro!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Requiem View Post

          The luck of the ****in' Irish. I thought TE was going to be your R2 selection, but figured OT was in the mix given who was lost in FA. Good selection bro!
          Thanks man, rd2 was too early for Jace and the top 3 were off the board by 34 but there was no way he was lasting to 97. The timing was unreal though cos about 1 minute after the pick Gronkowski announced he was retiring. What's even more funny is the fact I changed that pick with 3 other positions as soon as I knew who MUG took before finally settling on Sternberger cos I've 3-4 other players ranked higher but knew TE wouldn't last. It was like it was meant to be :-)

          Comment


          • This is easily the fasted draft ever. Way too fast.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Mediator12 View Post
              This is easily the fasted draft ever. Way too fast.
              Nah....I'm going on a cruise on April 6th....need the draft to go even faster

              Comment


              • With the 75th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

                the GREEN BAY PACKERS select;

                RB DAVID MONTGOMERY, IOWA STATE


                David Montgomery is the #122 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board



                RB DAVID MONTGOMERY IOWA STATE

                Iowa (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme, some wildcat. Short outlet route to the middle of field, double clutch on reception, short gain. Offtackle run, not much initial burst, bounced off first tackle and fell forward for a short gain. Draw up middle, short gain. He’s looking like a guy with limited athleticism that only gets what is blocked unless he breaks a few tackles. Not a guy to make people miss. Short outlet pass over middle gain, decent gain, broke initial tackle with stiff arm. Wildcat near goal line, stuffed for no gain. Not sure he has the quickness and burst to make that work. Off tackle run, got him going laterally a bit, that’s not going to work for Montgomery, too limited in terms of speed. Outlet route to the short middle of field again, this time couldn’t handle a bullet pass, just a little late to get his head around. Off tackle run he bounced outside for nice gain, showed a little bit of a jump cut and some slicing ability. More athletic than originally thought, he has a little wiggle once he gets his speed built up. Excellent chip on DE in pass pro, jolted him upright. Same little outlet wheel route, three yards down the center of the field, another short gain. Decent cut block on DE in pass pro. Flashes the ability to cut back, usually combined with a swipe to further push the defender past him. It’s not anything amazing, but it makes him more versatile than your standard “Three yards and a cloud of dust” inside power runner. Nothing overly impressive on this tape. The speed and athleticism is average at best, he’s mostly just an inside runner that gets what is blocked. Shows some power, but only broke a couple tackles all game. Looks like he might be a solid three down player, can catch limited outlet routes but shows well in pass pro.

                Texas (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Jump cut to get around penetrating LB, able to bounce the run outside and pick up a nice gain. Announcer went off about his elusiveness, he’s not elusive, but he has enough agility to make one guy miss with a jump cut. He’s definitely more than a north south bowling ball. Spin move on inside draw, able to beat the charging up LB with that move to pick up a few more yards. Off tackle run well blocked, does not have much in terms of speed, might even be below average. Continues to do a solid job in pass pro. Inside draw to pick up first down, runs hard, keeps legs churning. The jump cut move is really all he uses, it’s fine, but it’s not great. He doesn’t get enough lateral space with it to really make people miss unless he times it just as they are coming to tackle him, if he makes his move too early, it’s pretty easy for a LB or safety to adjust their angle and wrap him up. He only breaks tackles when he has some speed built up going forward, so he’s an easy tackle when he’s trying to run or cut sideways. Perfect form and technique picking up DB blitz off the edge, wide base, squats to get some leverage, absorbs and stonewalls the rush. One of the better pass pro backs I’ve seen. Shovel pass for a big gain, had wide open inside of the field to work with. Once he can build up some speed, he’s not slow, but it takes about five yards to get going. Texas is up big, so kind of just playing back and letting ISU burn clock. Tried shovel pass again, no dice. They have lined him up out wide in both of these games now, but he’s mostly just a decoy, have not thrown to him once. 6 yard TD on inside run he bounced outside, put a nice little inside deke on the LB and then cut it outside for the score. Curious to see his Combine results, if he somehow tests better than I expect, he would be a lot more interesting. I see him as a limited athlete that is the next step up from JAG in terms of running the ball. His prowess in pass protection probably makes him enticing and at least two steps up from JAG.

                Washington State (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Everything is jump cut and get north south as quick as possible early, which is probably what he should be doing, he’s getting stuffed every time so far though. Awesome pass pro block on DB on edge blitz, snapped his neck back when he picked him up. Tries at times to stop start and slam his foot in the ground and make cuts, just doesn’t quite have the balance, either kicks up a ton of grass or slips. This is probably his best running tape so far, he looks a little faster than previously and is doing a nice job of slicing into creases in the secondary and extending runs. He’s kind of two different RBs, the slow power guy at the line, and then he becomes more of an athletic slasher once he builds up speed and gets into the center of the field. Inside draw for a 10 yard TD, ran over a safety at the end of the run to get into the end zone. Runs with good forward lean and has strong leg drive, legit tackle breaker and pile pusher. He’s listed at 225, he doesn’t look that size, maybe 210ish, but definitely packs some power. A little bit like John Kelly from last draft in terms of a smaller power back. Got stripped when stood up in the pile, lost fumble. Wheel route out of the backfield, left wide open, decent over the shoulder catch and long gain down to the one yard line. Took it in for the short score on the next play dragging a defender. Swing pass to the outside, decent jumping catch on contested ball, tackled for minimal gain.


                TLDR:
                Overall, he’s a solid three down RB, doesn’t offer much explosion or threat, but he can get what is blocked and maybe an extra couple yards through effort. Best trait is his pass protection. Offers decent hands and receiving ability as well, though not really utilized as more than a short yardage outlet option. Might compare him to Jordan Howard, think Montgomery has a little more cutting ability and better hands though. Howard went in the 5th round. It's been awhile since a slower, power back has gone before Day 3 in the draft.

                Comment


                • With the 76th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

                  the WASHINGTON REDSKINS select;

                  QB RYAN FINLEY, NC STATE


                  Ryan Finley is the #67 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board



                  QB RYAN FINLEY NC STATE

                  Boston College (2018): Playing shot gun. Throws with anticipation, doesn’t wait for his WRs to break out of their route. One of the few senior QBs that does this. Risky throw down the sideline, just kind of tossed it up under pressure but the WR made the play. Calling audibles at the line, looks like he’s getting them into the right play, some big runs off his audibles. Nice accuracy and touch on a wheel route. Arm looks to be a plus. Showing some athleticism avoiding rush and scrambling, probably a little above average. Good enough to run some bootlegs and keepers for a few yards. Thing that really stands out is that he’s a field general, moves people around, calls out protections, audibles if needed. He just seems like he’s in control of everything. Great job eluding the rush, rolling out, and throwing a strike for about twenty yards on 3rd and long. Throws a nice ball deep down the field, good accuracy. Not afraid of taking a hit from pass rushers. Awful INT throwing off his back foot under heavy pressure, he thought the LB wouldn’t turn around and he was wrong, tried to float a short pass to the RB on the sideline. He really does throw a nice ball though, spiral is tight, comes out over the top, just looks nice and smooth. And there’s a second INT, was a nice play by the LB dropping back and snagging the pass, Finley was going for an intermediate slant behind him, didn’t expect him to drop back. Another really nice throw after dodging the pass rusher and rolling out. Nice back shoulder pass on Go route down sideline, his accuracy is excellent. Flawless two minute drill to get a TD before half, dude can play. Gorgeous TD on a Go route where he just dropped it in perfectly about 40 yards down field. His accuracy is insane. They went extremely run heavy most of the second half with the big lead, though he had a key conversion to ice the game for good. Looks pro ready to me. Arm isn’t overly strong, probably average, but his accuracy and touch is elite. Looks like a leader on the field. Did not see any flaws.

                  Clemson (2018): Playing shot gun only scheme. First throw raises concern about his arm strength, lacks the drive to fit a tight pass in to an open WR outside the numbers. Will have to see if this is recurring. Perfect pass on a long Go route, great trajectory and the WR had it clang off his hands. Probably would have been a 70 yard TD. Shows good zip on throws in the middle of the field, arm strength looks fine. And, we’re back to an out route outside the number in man coverage and the arm strength does not look good enough. He kind of threw that pass off his back foot, but he’s starting to look like a guy that needs to work in the middle of the field. Baker Mayfield was like that as well, so might not impact draft stock much. Perfect back shoulder throw up the sideline for a chunk gain. He throws a nice ball, and shows good accuracy when he has time in the pocket. INT on tipped ball WR should have caught. Nice deep ball that the WR stopped running on. Team is really letting him down. Excellent ball placement on screens and swing passes. Bad INT that he double pumped and then underthrew it over the middle, his WR had the catch but the DB ripped it away, still, too risky of a pass to throw. They are getting blown out at this point so might just be trying to make something happen. Accuracy has continued to look good, even when rolling out and under pressure, but his guys aren’t open and they aren’t catching it when they are. Not a threat to scramble, lumbers and is slow. Throws with good anticipation, problem is the WRs run the wrong route half the time. I feel bad for him, his RB is solid, but the receiving corps looks terrible. Thought he kept his composure, competed, and looked like a legit QB prospect throughout the blowout. I'd compare him heavily to Kirk Cousins. He's limited with his arm strength, but he's smart, has absolute calmness and poise even in blow outs, and has excellent accuracy.

                  FSU (2018): Playing shot gun only. Accuracy has been off the entire first drive so far, his WRs are making some nice catches to bail him out. Announcers going on about his multiple masters degrees and how smart he is, has a lot of interests outside of football. That can be viewed as good and bad. Arm looks pretty average, athleticism looks average at best. He definitely doesn’t possess elite physical traits. Nice throw on a rollout to back of end zone, but TE couldn’t get his feet down. Outside of that throw, the 1st quarter has been completely forgettable. WR screen for huge chunk gain. Solid throw on out route. Does more audibles than any other QB I’ve seen, appears to be the cerebral type that puts his team in the best play. Ten yard fade for a TD, ball a little underthrown. Deep Go route that was underthrown again, but WR made a nice play. His accuracy has been pretty bad this first half, he’s still getting the ball to his WRs, but they have to stop, dive, jump, and otherwise make excellent plays to secure the catch. Has looked his best so far when he’s under heavy pressure and rolling out away from the rush, has hit a few nice throws in that situation. Nice zip and accuracy on quick out route on 4th down to convert. Accuracy has been excellent the second half, making some pinpoint throws into tiny windows. Very confident guy, doesn’t hesitate, seems to know where he wants to go before the snap by reading the defense. Has a little bit of a Peyton Manning quality to him in that regard. Nice bullet on a quick out route for a five yard TD. He’s unstoppable in the second half, accuracy has been flawless through the 3rd quarter and into the early 4th. Making a lot of nice intermediate and short throws. Not really going over twenty air yards on anything. Continues to look like a stud on roll outs, athleticism looks better than I thought. Outlet pass to RB for a 1 yard TD, that was after he converted a 3rd down with a sneak up the middle. Sat out the last part of the 4th quarter in this blow out win.


                  TLDR:
                  His arm is strong enough, he’s athletic enough to be effective avoiding the rush and especially on roll outs where he shines as a passer. His calling card is accuracy, poise, and intelligence. Probably going to be a game manager type in the NFL, has a low bust likelihood, not sure about top end upside though. He’s a Peyton Manning or Kirk Cousins type cerebral QB, if he has a good team around him, he can win. Has the potential to make the team around him better just due to knowing everything and putting the team in position to succeed. A little bit older, but not going to ding him for age.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                    With the 75th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

                    the GREEN BAY PACKERS select;

                    RB DAVID MONTGOMERY, IOWA STATE


                    David Montgomery is the #122 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board



                    RB DAVID MONTGOMERY IOWA STATE

                    Iowa (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme, some wildcat. Short outlet route to the middle of field, double clutch on reception, short gain. Offtackle run, not much initial burst, bounced off first tackle and fell forward for a short gain. Draw up middle, short gain. He’s looking like a guy with limited athleticism that only gets what is blocked unless he breaks a few tackles. Not a guy to make people miss. Short outlet pass over middle gain, decent gain, broke initial tackle with stiff arm. Wildcat near goal line, stuffed for no gain. Not sure he has the quickness and burst to make that work. Off tackle run, got him going laterally a bit, that’s not going to work for Montgomery, too limited in terms of speed. Outlet route to the short middle of field again, this time couldn’t handle a bullet pass, just a little late to get his head around. Off tackle run he bounced outside for nice gain, showed a little bit of a jump cut and some slicing ability. More athletic than originally thought, he has a little wiggle once he gets his speed built up. Excellent chip on DE in pass pro, jolted him upright. Same little outlet wheel route, three yards down the center of the field, another short gain. Decent cut block on DE in pass pro. Flashes the ability to cut back, usually combined with a swipe to further push the defender past him. It’s not anything amazing, but it makes him more versatile than your standard “Three yards and a cloud of dust” inside power runner. Nothing overly impressive on this tape. The speed and athleticism is average at best, he’s mostly just an inside runner that gets what is blocked. Shows some power, but only broke a couple tackles all game. Looks like he might be a solid three down player, can catch limited outlet routes but shows well in pass pro.

                    Texas (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Jump cut to get around penetrating LB, able to bounce the run outside and pick up a nice gain. Announcer went off about his elusiveness, he’s not elusive, but he has enough agility to make one guy miss with a jump cut. He’s definitely more than a north south bowling ball. Spin move on inside draw, able to beat the charging up LB with that move to pick up a few more yards. Off tackle run well blocked, does not have much in terms of speed, might even be below average. Continues to do a solid job in pass pro. Inside draw to pick up first down, runs hard, keeps legs churning. The jump cut move is really all he uses, it’s fine, but it’s not great. He doesn’t get enough lateral space with it to really make people miss unless he times it just as they are coming to tackle him, if he makes his move too early, it’s pretty easy for a LB or safety to adjust their angle and wrap him up. He only breaks tackles when he has some speed built up going forward, so he’s an easy tackle when he’s trying to run or cut sideways. Perfect form and technique picking up DB blitz off the edge, wide base, squats to get some leverage, absorbs and stonewalls the rush. One of the better pass pro backs I’ve seen. Shovel pass for a big gain, had wide open inside of the field to work with. Once he can build up some speed, he’s not slow, but it takes about five yards to get going. Texas is up big, so kind of just playing back and letting ISU burn clock. Tried shovel pass again, no dice. They have lined him up out wide in both of these games now, but he’s mostly just a decoy, have not thrown to him once. 6 yard TD on inside run he bounced outside, put a nice little inside deke on the LB and then cut it outside for the score. Curious to see his Combine results, if he somehow tests better than I expect, he would be a lot more interesting. I see him as a limited athlete that is the next step up from JAG in terms of running the ball. His prowess in pass protection probably makes him enticing and at least two steps up from JAG.

                    Washington State (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Everything is jump cut and get north south as quick as possible early, which is probably what he should be doing, he’s getting stuffed every time so far though. Awesome pass pro block on DB on edge blitz, snapped his neck back when he picked him up. Tries at times to stop start and slam his foot in the ground and make cuts, just doesn’t quite have the balance, either kicks up a ton of grass or slips. This is probably his best running tape so far, he looks a little faster than previously and is doing a nice job of slicing into creases in the secondary and extending runs. He’s kind of two different RBs, the slow power guy at the line, and then he becomes more of an athletic slasher once he builds up speed and gets into the center of the field. Inside draw for a 10 yard TD, ran over a safety at the end of the run to get into the end zone. Runs with good forward lean and has strong leg drive, legit tackle breaker and pile pusher. He’s listed at 225, he doesn’t look that size, maybe 210ish, but definitely packs some power. A little bit like John Kelly from last draft in terms of a smaller power back. Got stripped when stood up in the pile, lost fumble. Wheel route out of the backfield, left wide open, decent over the shoulder catch and long gain down to the one yard line. Took it in for the short score on the next play dragging a defender. Swing pass to the outside, decent jumping catch on contested ball, tackled for minimal gain.


                    TLDR:
                    Overall, he’s a solid three down RB, doesn’t offer much explosion or threat, but he can get what is blocked and maybe an extra couple yards through effort. Best trait is his pass protection. Offers decent hands and receiving ability as well, though not really utilized as more than a short yardage outlet option. Might compare him to Jordan Howard, think Montgomery has a little more cutting ability and better hands though. Howard went in the 5th round. It's been awhile since a slower, power back has gone before Day 3 in the draft.
                    Totally disagree with the Howard comparison!

                    Comment


                    • Don't know when BPC will get in, but that's 15 picks in one day. Outstanding!!

                      Comment


                      • We need to average 8 picks a day to end before the 6 hour clock goes into effect. We are currently sitting at 12.7 picks a day. This is great!!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ColoradoBuff View Post

                          Totally disagree with the Howard comparison!
                          Who would be your preferred comp? I was trying to come up with a power back with limited speed but good production. Montgomery is a three down back, just underutilized as a receiver, Howard doesn't offer anything on third downs, so I agree it was a tight squeeze as a comp, but I couldn't really come up with a recent, better one. Most of the bigger backs lately have had breakaway speed to some degree or had extensive passing game usage. Just didn't see an obvious apples to apples comp, did I miss one?

                          Comment


                          • Montgomery plays faster than his 40 time. I’ve seen a lot of comparisons to Kareem Hunt but I compare him to James Conner. James Conner ran a 4.65 40 at the scouting combine. Neither are 4.3-4.4 guys and we saw what Conner can do.

                            Comment


                            • Montgomery reminds me of Cj Anderson but with catching ability. He is he master at turning 3 yard gains for 5-6 or 10 yards for 15. Going to be a real good pro for sure.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
                                Montgomery reminds me of Cj Anderson but with catching ability. He is he master at turning 3 yard gains for 5-6 or 10 yards for 15. Going to be a real good pro for sure.
                                It almost sounds like Knowshon Moreno.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X