Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitely agree, but when they don't work out prior to the start of the game, you do your best projection. Joseph is really fast though, not too worried about it. But you're right, if he tests poorly, it'll hurt his stock since he's primarily a space LB, definitely a risky ranking. There's a few of those I had to do based solely on tape because the prospect hasn't worked out yet.

Comment

• What a timely pick I just made, Gronkowski has retired from the NFL. I swear I typed that bio on Sternberger before I knew he had gone.

Comment

• Wow crazy timing, eddie mac. Gronk just announced his retirement.

Comment

• I'm gonna put this out there right now, thankfully I'll have a far higher 1st rd pick in 2020 :-)

Comment

• With the 73rd overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS select;

TE JACE STERNBERGER, TEXAS AM

Jace Sternberger is the #177 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

TE JACE STERNBERGER TEXAS AM

Alabama (2018): Playing inline, hback, slot. Tried to seal LB Miller outside on an inside run from the inline position, Miller knocked him flat with his initial punch. Yikes. Quick curl from hback, QB under pressure and ball picked off by LB Wilson on an athletic diving play, nothing Sternberger could do about that. Decent outside seal on LB Jennings on inside run, was lined up at hback. Down block on the DT Davis from inline, marginally effective, ended up helping to push him into the inside run. Busted coverage on a 10 yard slant for a TD. Interesting formation with two TEs stacked in the slot, the safety drifted with the one running a corner route, Sternberger went inside on the slant and the LB let him go thinking the safety would take him. Whoops. They actually line up in that formation quite a bit and seem to have a wide variety of plays when they do. Nice job mirroring the safety on a blitz at hback, picked him up on the edge and wouldn’t let him get around him. DB was giving it his best. Solid lead block on LB Moses from hback on a designed QB draw. Doesn’t flatten people or move them, but does a good job walling them off. 10 yard out route from inline against zone, QB faked a scramble, pulled the defense up and he was open on the sideline all alone, got some YAC after the play. Whiffed on his blitz pickup from hback, a little slow to diagnose where the guy was coming. Has played mostly at hback in this game, some slot, and a handful of inline reps. They have another TE, Wood, who is the primary inline blocking TE. Gets a late release from inline on his pass routes, probably a full second delay, not sure what that is about. Tried to hit him on a corner route from inline for a TD, but ball overthrown and LB Moses had tight coverage on him. Beaten by Moses on a blitz off the edge from hback, just put speed and dipped around him for a QB pressure. Decent block on Wilson in the hole from hback on inside run. Definitely most effective blocking from hback in the run game. Seam route from inline position for 15 yards, put a nice swim move on Moses to avoid the jam, took a big hit from the safety but held on. The way he is used reminds me of Troy Fumagalli. He’s mostly an hback, but gets moved around on the outside and in the slot at times, gets a handful of inline snaps as well, usually as a run blocker. He’s more of a get in your way gnat type blocker than anything, though he did have some nice lead blocks in the hole at times from hback. Primarily a receiving TE in the short to intermediate range as a possession type.

Kentucky (2018): Playing hback, inline, slot. A little slow with his lead block from hback, ran into the OT so RB went it alone into the hole, didn’t work out well. 10 yard out route against zone from inline position, took a monster hit from CB Baity as he caught the ball and held on. Tried to hit him on an intermediate slant, ball was badly overthrown. Sternberger is not a great athlete, he’s a little above average for a TE, most of the time the LBs and Safeties are able to stay step for step with him. Solid kickout block from inline on the OLB on off tackle run. Tried to drive block that LB on another play, couldn’t even budge him off the line. I don’t think Sternberger is very strong, certainly explains why he’s used sparingly as an inline blocker. Decent lead block on a RB screen play. Good job getting out in space and shoving the OLB wide on a sweep play. Whiffed on his block in the hole from hback, let the blitzer come through to stuff the run. Tried to hit him on a corner route from inline, but LB Allen was in lockstep and swatted the ball away. Curl route against zone coverage from the slot for 10 yards. Solid lead block from hback on the LB on inside run, went right into the hole and walled him off inside. Excellent down block on the LB from hback to seal him inside on offtackle run for a chunk gain. Tried to do an aggressive drive block on the ILB, gave it good effort, but the LB literally just threw him off of him. This is not a blocking TE in the normal sense, he needs a lot of weight room work. Flat route from hback for minimal gain, doesn’t have the ability to make the first guy miss. Out route from hback for 10 yards, the WR picked his guy so he was wide open, was able to break a tackle by the DB for a few extra yards. Tried to down block and double team the DE on a short yardage play, ran into him and fell over. Has done that multiple times now over these two games. 1v1 block against the DE on an inside run, DE stack and shed and stuffed the play. Intermediate drag route from inline where he caught a deflected pass, the safety whiffed on his tackle, and then he stiff armed a CB on his way for a 40 yard score. Nice job plucking that ball in the air while in stride. That was a nice play. He still looks to have average to above average speed for the position, he’s not going to run away from people. He has to slow down a bit to make breaks in his routes, so he tends to round them off, that’s another reason why it’s easy for LBs and safeties to stay in his hip pocket. He does almost all of his damage in the receiving game against zone coverage. Destroyed at hback by the DE, just smashed him into the RB to blow up the play.

South Carolina (2018): Playing hback, inline, slot. Unable to down block the backside DE from inline, guy ran behind the line and chased the RB down for a loss. Wheel route from hback for 15 yards, free release and able to run by the LB in coverage. Wheel route from inline for a huge chunk gain, just ran through the zone and then dragged the nickel back 20 yards in what was the worst tackle attempt of all time. That was a 50 yard play overall. 3 yard TD on a slant from the slot where he was left uncovered. Too slow to come over on the wham block from hback on the backside safety crashing in, resulted in QB hit. He consistently just gets a late start on the snap, it drives me nuts, has happened in every game. 10 yard comeback route from inline, rumbled through a couple tackle attempts for some extra YAC. Definitely can’t question his effort. Does a solid job on the LBs and DE when asked to seal them to the outside, half the time they are playing contain anyway, so there isn’t much resistance, but that’s a block he makes consistently. Drop on a corner fade near the goal line, had another WR right there to distract him. Still, it clanged off his hands, should have been a TD. Flat route for 5 yards from hback, tackled immediately. Awful drive block attempt from hback on the OLB, guy just ran through his block like he wasn’t there and stuffed the QB. Corner route from about twenty yards out, a little overthrown, but that looked like if Sternberger could jump higher than three inches he might have had a shot at it. I want to see his vertical at the Combine now. TE Screen off a slip block for 10 yards. 10 yard slant from the slot against zone that he turned into about 20 yards with some YAC, he’s running hard and breaking some tackles by the DBs. Solid angle block on the OLB from hback on off tackle run, sealed him inside. This was probably his best tape, just because he showed soft hands and was a tank in the open field for the DBs to tackle.

TLDR:
            Overall, I still think he’s Troy Fumagalli, the usage is roughly the same, he’s mostly an hback that can lead block on running plays, but also provide a short to intermediate possession role. You can put him in the slot, but unless it’s zone, he’s not going to get open. As an inline blocker, he’s pretty bad, can win at times with positional blocks and just speed bumping the DE long enough for the play to get off, but he gets over powered easily and is very inconsistent on anything but outside seal blocks. Would say he’s a situational gadget player, a good OC could make use of him, a bad OC will turn him into a crappy inline TE. Regardless, needs to get considerably stronger or learn to play with leverage, or both.

Note/Explanation: I didn't really like him on tape at all eddie. Maybe I just picked his worst games. New England would be a team to know how to use him correctly though. Have to get creative.

Comment

• There's our first duplicate selection. Thornhill is already a Steeler

Comment

• Originally posted by eddie mac View Post
                There's our first duplicate selection. Thornhill is already a Steeler
                I scherffed it. Will repick

Comment

• SCHERFF!

Comment

• Savage is the steal of the draft. I have that dude as my #2 Safety in the draft with a late first round grade. Highest remaining player on my board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmelo15 View Post
                      Savage is the steal of the draft. I have that dude as my #2 Safety in the draft with a late first round grade. Highest remaining player on my board.
                      His size is the concern Imo. Some of those hits are shades of bob Sanders tho

Comment

• With the 74th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the BUFFALO BILLS select;

S DARNELL SAVAGE, MARYLAND

Darnell Savage is the #95 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

S DARNELL SAVAGE MARYLAND

Texas (2018): Playing mostly cover two, will play off man on slot when offense goes spread. Very scrappy, high energy type guy, flies around the field. Charged up with a huge hit from cover two on the RB on outside run for a TFL. Able to put pressure on the QB as he rolled out to the sideline, Savage charged up and swatted away the pass. Off man on the TE In the slot when Texas goes spread, they have not challenged Savage so far. Missed tackle on RB bouncing run outside from the slot, RB just able to avoid the diving Savage. Walled off by WR on off tackle run. Came flying up from his off man slot position on the far side on a reverse to stuff the WR for a loss, that was a great play, showed excellent speed and quick play recognition. Cover two, WR screen, able to charge up from Cover two, avoid blockers, and wrap up the WR for short gain. Off man on slot WR, quick out route, came flying up but missed tackle up high, able to recover and made tackle on second attempt. Off man on slot WR, quick out route, this time the QB floated the throw a little bit and Savage was able to hit the WR at catch point and force an incompletion. Spent most of the game in cover two zone but pretty active when possible in the run game. He looks pretty tiny, smaller than the 5’11, 200 he’s listed as. His high energy, aggressive physical approach in a smaller package reminds me a little bit of Tyrann Mathieu (or Bob Sanders, great comparison).

Michigan (2018): Playing a mix of zone and off man coverages. Off tackle run, far side of field, decent speed but took a bad angle and wasn’t able to cut RB off at the sideline, did have a long way to go on that play though. Came up to tackle the FB in the flat, went low, FB hurdled him and kept on going for a decent gain. He has good range and recovery speed, playing cover two, got distracted with one TE on a post route, didn’t see the TE on a post from the other side until he was past him for a chunk gain, did chase him down and make the tackle quickly though. This looks pretty fast, the range looks sideline to sideline, just not sure about the talent yet. Solid press man coverage on inline TE on arrow route. Off man coverage on slot WR, good coverage on crossing route across entire field, QB tried to hit a different WR on a comeback route, DB swatted ball up in the air, Savage with good awareness raced over and plucked it for the INT before returning it for a short gain all the way back across the field to where he started the down. Showed good running ability and elusiveness in the open field on the return. Inside draw to FB, helped on clean up tackle after decent gain. Dropped into single high safety on the snap, did not get back quite far and fast enough, deep post for a chunk gain, did help on tackle. That was more a reflection of trying to hide the defense than Savage’s short comings. Had off man coverage on the TE, got sucked in with playaction sweep, TE able to come from inline position on a corner route for 15 yard gain. Savage tried to reverse direction and get back in coverage, but TE already had too much space. Charges up frequently to help in the run game, keeps getting walled off by the OL at the second level. Off man, slot WR, got confused and blew his man coverage once the WRs started twisting off the snap, his guy was open on a fade route but QB overthrew the ball. Savage making a fair amount of coverage gaffes because he’s so interesting in coming up in run support. Cover two, charged up on intermediate crossing route coming towards him, went for the INT and missed, WR caught ball and then walked up field for a 25 yard TD. Off tackle run, wrap up tackle on RB after short gain. Bad angle on WR racing up the sideline, misjudged speed, WR able to get into the endzone for the score. Off man in slot, quick out route, able to charge up and make tackle for minimal gain. Definitely has NFL speed and athleticism, not sure about the discipline and intelligence though. Off tackle run, big gain, able to push RB out along sideline and save a potential TD. Decent coverage on TE on corner route in end zone, QB went elsewhere. This was mostly rough tape just because Savage was ultra-aggressive and that lead to him blowing coverages and tackles. If that’s his M.O., it’s not enticing when you cost your team points due to playing outside the scheme and freelancing. He did that a lot in this game. What he does have going for him is he’s clearly a good athlete with speed and range, he can effectively man cover TEs and slot WRs, which is a valuable trait. He wanted to be a box safety and be a force against the run at many points in this game; he just never was able to do so. Anyway, like the athletic traits, don’t like the recklessness.

Ohio State (2018): Playing mostly cover two, dropped him in a variety of zone drops later in the game. Lined up at LB depth in the slot, charged up on the slot WR outside expecting a screen, play was a RB draw inside instead, showed decent speed chasing the RB down and making the tackle 20 yards down the field. Delayed blitz from LB depth, picked up easily by LG. Cover two, read outside sweep, charged up and made nice wrap up tackle on RB for a loss. Nice play. Spent most of the first quarter just milling about at safety depth, the Maryland DL was putting on a show. Shifted from cover two to thirds taking the middle zone, QB went bomb down the sideline for a long TD. Savage tried to chase the play, but started just too far behind the eight ball. Cover two, slot WR just blazed right by him on a seam route, surprised a little bit by the speed and probably still looking at the QB, but Savage showed legit make up speed catching back up to the WR. Still should have been a big play, but the QB overthrew the pass. Off man on the slot WR, off tackle run and the WR able to wall Savage off from the play, big gain down near the goal line. Cover two, slot WR tried an inside slant right in front of him, Savage able to fly up and dislodge the ball at the catch point. Cover two, RB lined up out wide, kind of cheated a little over that way and when the RB ran a quick out route and the ball was in the air, Savage was already driving on the play. Able to make the tackle for minimal gain. He pretty much baited the QB on that play. Cover two, came up to tackle WR on out route after decent gain. Savage seems to freelance at times within the defense, it’s fairly clear what his zone is and what he’s supposed to be doing, but every now and then he just randomly charges up to the flat thinking it’s a screen or wheel route, and then has to try and reverse to get back to his position. Has done this three times, each time his guess has been wrong. Delayed blitz up the middle, ran into the LG and stopped cold. Cover two, WR screen in the flat, came up and tackled after 10 yard gain. The time he doesn’t gamble on the play, they run it. Showed blitz at the line inside, dropped in shallow zone, wrap up tackle on slot WR on curl route for ten yards. Shallow zone in the two minute drill at end of game, showed inside blitz, bailed out on snap, ran with the slot WR on a corner route, but WR able to get a step and make the catch for a key first down at the sideline. That coverage was pretty good, just tough job due to where he lined up. Cover two at five yard line, game on the line, slot WR with quick inside slant, Savage able to break on the ball and swat it away. Great play. WR almost got him with a quick outside deke before slanting inside. Cover two, able to chase down RB on outside sweep for decent gain. Can’t believe Maryland lost this game. Overall, pretty good tape.

TLDR:
                        Savage still reminds me of a mighty mite type safety, he’s rock solid in both the run and pass game, aggressive, good athlete, has legit coverage skills, and is a quality wrap up tackler. Biggest question would mostly be his range and how he plays in terms of coverage back deep, his primary approach is to attack up field on the snap. Very rarely did he drift in a deep zone and just wait on the QB to unleash a deep ball. I think he clearly prefers to play up near the box where the action is. I’d compare him to safeties like Bob Sanders or Tyrann Matheiu. He’s listed bigger than they are, but that’s kind of his style of play. Combine will have to give a hint as to his ball skills, not really on display here. I am concerned about his tendency to freelance, he gives up big plays because he’s gambling on the field and loses his responsibilities. Probably happens more often than any other player in this entire draft. Great athlete, not sure if a great football player due to lack of consistency.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post

His size is the concern Imo. Some of those hits are shades of bob Sanders tho
                          Yes they are.

Comment

• He's one of my biggest draft crushes this year. Would love him to become a Bronco. I think Fangio is probably high on him.

Comment

• If he plays disciplined, can definitely be a difference maker. I love fast, kamikaze type guys that'll knock you out. You just know he's going to be amazing on special teams as well. Fangio will probably like the athletic traits, but he's going to want him to play within the system and not do all the freelancing. Savage can play though for sure.

Comment

• He's also going to love his versatility. The way he flys to the ball jumps off the screen. I think he has Pro Bowl potential personally

Comment

Working...
                                X