No announcement yet.

Official 2019 Orange Mane Mock Draft DISCUSSION Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, that was a tough one. Pick is in...

Comment

• Excellent pick Med.

Justin Layne is someone I wanted.

Comment

• I'm really depressed i could not get him.

Dammit!

I was thinking of trading a 3 and 4 to get back into the 2nd to get Layne. I should have done it.

Didn't JCM say we could trade for drafted players rights?

Comment

• Med taking my corner has become an annual tradition. Dammit

Comment

• Sparty Party for Med.

Comment

• Yes. We can trade picks for players selected in the 2019 mock draft.

Comment

• I'll hit Ag up on Day 3 and send him a pick for Campbell.

Comment

• With the 40th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS select;

CB JUSTIN LAYNE, MICHIGAN STATE

Justin Layne is my #45 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

CB JUSTIN LAYNE MICHIGAN STATE

Penn State (2018): Playing RCB and LCB. Press man, short crossing route, good coverage, QB went elsewhere. Read off tackle run, charged up and made wrap up tackle on RB in the hole to limit the gain. Press bail, stop route for short gain. He’s being used on both sides seemingly at random, has been in press, press bail, off man, and zone already just in the first quarter. Press bail, out route for easy five yards. Off tackle run, wrap up tackle again. His approach with the running game is to square up the RB and kind of fall back and wrap up as he sorts gets run over. He’s not going to make any tackles for loss with that approach, but he does tend to get the RB down. Zone, quick out route by TE, tackle by Layne on sideline. Speed a little bit in question, got driven back and walled off by WR on long TD run, had a chance to chase down the RB but was not fast enough to even gain on him. Flashes a decent one hand jam where he turns to run with the WR at the same time. Press man, short crossing route, no jam, just good hip pocket coverage and able to swat ball away. Nice job peeling off his man and coming up on TE on short out route, squared him up and put his shoulders right into his thighs on the tackle. Still got ran over a little bit, but wasn’t afraid of the contact. Press man, corner fade from five yards out, Layne did a nice job reading the route, looking for the ball, and skying up in the air to make sure it went incomplete. Off man, big cushion, comeback route on sideline for 10 yards. Not sure what the point of that coverage was. Tape was largely solid, Penn State rarely tested him even though he moved around the field. Mostly a wash in the run game, will make the tackle if the RB comes to him, but probably not going to make any standout plays in the hole. Played pretty much every coverage and technique. I liked him best in press man. Only concern is speed and athleticism just because RB Sanders was faster than he was.

Michigan (2018); Playing both sides. Mix of press man and off man early, nothing coming his way. Lined up in the slot on short yardage play, two handed jam on WR which he largely missed, his guy had a step on inside slant but QB sacked on play. Press man, no jam, nice coverage on intermediate slant route, QB went elsewhere. Zone drop, TE on corner route, Layne charged up and delivered big hit to knock him out of bounds. Read RB sweep, able to come up and wrap up RBs legs as he turned up field. Nice tackle. Same play, this time walled off by the WR. Came up on FB run off tackle, unable to get off block to make tackle. Used on offense at outside WR, decent move on CB to get a step on Go route but QB overthrew him. Press man, no jam, WR with outside deke and then inside slant to get wide open, QB tried to hit him but ball swatted at the line. Layne was beaten on that play. Blitz off boundary corner, playaction slowed him for a second but was able to put pressure on QB and force him to throw it away. Nice job falling off his man and coming up to make wrap up tackle on TE in space. Outside WR, curl route, open, but QB went elsewhere. He definitely looks functional as a WR. Pretty nice job in zone, floated with the WR on an out route behind him, then came up on TE on out route in front of him, QB pulled it down twice and then chucked it up deep down the middle of the field incomplete. At outside WR, able to get past the CB with an inside deke on Go route, QB overthrew the TD though. Go route, impressive diving catch attempt on ball out of bounds. He’s showing some lock down coverage in press man on these Go routes and curls outside. Nice job picking up TE on seam route in zone, able to blanket him. Press man, no jam, lockdown coverage on Go route. Announcers showing zoom clips of how elite Layne’s coverage has been in this game. Excellent tape, no passes completed on him this game. Was beaten on two slant plays but QB couldn’t get the WR the ball. Rest of the time was absolute lock down coverage, mostly in press man. Flashes a nice jam at times, also misses it at times. Continues to be willing to help in the run game, but doesn’t really offer much actual help. Looks to be a solid outside man coverage CB prospect.

Ohio State (2018); Playing both sides. Excellent quick diagnosis of RB screen, flew up and made wrap up tackle for a loss. Zone drop, able to come up and help on tackle on dig route just short of the sticks to force a punt. Press man, intermediate slant, good coverage, almost able to make one handed INT on a ball thrown too far in front of WR. Press man, inside slant, WR stumbled on break, Layne able to easily swat pass away. Blitz from CB spot, QB never saw him, got a clean path and able to get the sack. Speed solid on that play. Press man, two hand jam, quick dig route on 3rd and short, WR had ball for second but Layne able to rip it out at catch point and force a punt. He’s playing some good ball so far early in this game. Press man, Go route, WR McLaurin able to get a few steps on him but ball overthrown. Speed definitely a concern, at least when left on an island. Not sure how fast McLaurin is, but he’s faster than Layne. Off man, inside slant, 10 yard gain, tackled on reception. Looks like MSU is scared of getting beat deep, have Layne playing a lot more off man and bailing on the snap, WRs are just stopping or running an option route slant. It’s stopping the deep ball, but it’s free first downs. Press man, 20 yard fade pass into the end zone, Layne able to look back, find the ball, and swat it away, was almost able to pick it off. Came up to help tackle RB in wildcat run draw near goal line. RB sweep, walled off by WR. Zone, big hit on WR on quick out route right in front of him. Off man, inside slant, missed the tackle, WR with some decent YAC. Nice job reading reverse to his size, flying up, and shoving WR out of bounds for short gain. Press man, intermediate slant, WR had a step but ball thrown too far ahead. Nice job falling off his guy to come up and make tackle on drag route. Solid tape, started off extremely strong, then came back down to Earth a bit. On the plays he was beaten on, the QB didn’t really go his way. For the most part though, Layne was very effective in press man coverage even against some of the elite speed of these WRs. I feel a little better about his athleticism, but he’s still definitely not someone with top end speed.

TLDR:
                  Would probably compare him to a poor man’s Dre Kirkpatrick. Layne should appeal to all teams and schemes. He’s not great in the run game or overly physical, but he will make some hard hits and he’s not afraid to stick his head in there against a RB in the hole. Thought he looked best as a physical press CB that excelled on defending vertical routes.
                  Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 03-22-2019, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• MUG already in prime form on a Friday morning.

Comment

• If we get to my second round pick by noon I will tattoo Chad Kelly Forever on my face.

Comment

• With the 41st overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the DENVER BRONCOS select;

WR PARRIS CAMPBELL, OHIO STATE

Parris Campbell is my #51 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

WR PARRIS CAMPBELL OHIO STATE

Michigan State (2018); Playing slot. Slot, zone coverage, curl route, 10 yard gain. Slot, zone coverage, short crossing route, 10 yard gain. Slot, zone coverage, short crossing route, 15 yard gain. Well, this is easy so far. Slot, zone coverage, slant, wide open, but CB went elsewhere. Faked the jet sweep, then actually threw it to him on a screen, 5 yard gain. Slot, press man, Campbell easily avoided the jam, just kind of sliced inside the CB on inside slant, ball went elsewhere. Gives effort and squares up when trying to block, not very effective though. Shovel pass on jet sweep, finally gets it after having several fakes, and gets about 5 yards. Same play but from the other side on 3rd and goal, able to race into the end zone for the 3 yard TD. End around from the slot for a 10 yard gain. He’s essentially the newest iteration of Curtis Samuel. Stuck the safety on him in press man in the slot, safety went for two handed jam, Campbell side stepped it and zipped around him wide open on an out route, QB locked in other side of field though. End around from slot for short gain, took massive hit from safety, knew it was coming, still tried to get maximum yardage. Pretty happy with Campbell’s toughness, he doesn’t slide down or just scoot out of bounds like some slot guys, he’s also a lot thicker than some slot guys as well, so I’m sure that helps with his thought process. I appreciate tough players that try and maximize each play though. Really hurky jerky with his routes, not smooth, doesn’t make sharp cuts, not a great route running WR. Almost seems like he’s new to the position, maybe a former RB or DB. **He was a RB in high school and came to OSU as a hybrid athlete**. Mostly just a gadget guy on this tape, short routes and running plays, would have liked to see him run some vertical routes and make some more difficult catches. His receptions in this game were basically free hand outs. Good athlete, but nothing popped on this tape.

Michigan (2018): Playing slot. Press man by the safety, this is not going to work, and it didn’t, short crossing route, used the ref to pick the safety, not that he needed it, wide open for 15 yard gain. Slot, hitch route in flat, QB slow and late getting the ball out, Campbell got blasted by the DB as ball arrived and incomplete. Slot, off man, sluggo route, double coverage, ball overthrown. Finally a vertical route, so that was nice, had a couple steps on the CB and the safety both but the ball was just a bad throw. Able to flash some speed on that play though. Slot, zone coverage, corner route, mostly covered, QB checked it down instead. Slot, screen to outside WR, just had to block his man, the safety, and he whiffed on the block and the safety smashed the WR for a loss. Slot, press man, inside slant, CB able to get physical with him off the line, slowed him down a bit and did a nice job of ripping the ball away at catch point across the field. Good coverage. Inside WR screen from the slot, set up nicely in the short middle of the field surrounded by blockers. Broke an initial arm tackle attempt and then turned into a kickoff returner, juking and weaving through the defense and up the far sideline for a 50 yard gain. Slot, off man, intermediate slant route, didn’t try and make the catch, QB airmailed the throw, incomplete. I wonder if he could have jumped and snagged that, it didn’t look that bad of a pass. Haskins gave him the Jay Cutler face, so I think he thought Campbell could have made a play. Slot, zone defense, stop route, 15 yard gain, just pulled up right where nobody was and QB put the ball on him. Slot, press man, inside slant, dropped the low throw. Should have been caught. Slot, zone coverage, short drag route, caught ball maybe five yards off the line, dusted the MLB up the sideline for a 40 yard gain. You can see the elite speed and how dangerous he is in the open field. His speed is a little bit of build up though, but once it is built up, he’s a lightning bolt. Jet sweep, 70 yard TD, just appears faster than anyone on the Michigan defense by a lot. Slot, off man coverage by the safety, already know this is over, stab step inside, sliced back across the safety’s face on a corner fade route, oodles of separation at this point and QB put the ball on him for an easy 15 yard TD. Definitely more impressive tape than the MSU game, was allowed to run some vertical routes, appears to be growing into the WR position, flashed some solid route running skills at times. His speed can be lethal, it doesn’t always show up on his routes, but once he has the ball in his hands, he gets real fast, real quick. Could very well be a bigger, better version of Samuels.

Washington (2018); Playing slot. Bubble screen outside, CB charged up and blew him up at catch point for a loss, nothing Campbell could do. Quick throw in the flat, able to make first guy miss and pick up 5 yards. Slot, zone coverage, straight vertical route up the seam, 20 yard TD, busted coverage on the play. Slot, zone coverage, out route, minimal gain, tackled at catch point. Slot, hitch route, low throw, had to make diving snag for no gain. Solid block on DB on off tackle run. He usually puts in a good effort, it seems to be that if the DB wants to get off the block and help tackle the RB, they usually can. This guy didn’t want to. Slot, zone coverage, quick out route, 5 yard gain. Slot, zone coverage, out route, 15 yard gain. Slot, press man, inside slant, open in the end zone but QB went elsewhere. Slot, zone coverage, drag route, just settled in some spot of zone for 20 yard gain. Washington needs to make some adjustments, this is far too easy. Slot, zone coverage, dig route and settled down under the LB for 5 yard gain. Slot, zone, curl route 5 yard gain and a first down. Slot, zone coverage, short drag route, minimal gain and LB came up and chopped him down shortly after catch point. Tape was fine, but nothing overly impressive.

TLDR:
                        Most of his catches were stopped, facing the QB with nobody around him and close to the line of scrimmage, might as well have been playing catch in the back yard. Route tree is limited, tough to tell how well he can catch in traffic or at full speed, had the one rep where it looked like Haskins drilled a catchable ball to him on an intermediate slant and Campbell didn’t even try to make the play. No idea if he can catch over his shoulder consistently, or at all, no idea if he can high point a jump ball. He was a gadget player that gets the WR designation despite not really playing as a true WR. Probably a third of his catches and half his yardage were from those jet sweeps they run multiple times a game but the QB drops the ball in front of him so it counts as a pass. Those are runs, and I’d be curious to see his stats with all of those removed. Still, he did show he can catch the ball, is dangerous in the open field, has blazing speed, and also has increased value as a return guy. This is someone teams will spend some serious draft capital on. I think Samuel’s struggles do actually hurt Campbell a little bit. Teams are probably a little more aware of the limitations of this type of player and the multiyear development it is going to take to turn them into a legitimate WR.

Comment

• There's more legitimate WR play on Campbell's tape than you are giving him credit for MUG (he definitely has over the shoulder catches and high point catches on his tape). It's just that it's few and far between because of the OSU offense. His combine performance showed what he's capable of physically, and it's rather nuts. I agree with your take for the most part though. I just think this is a case of your three game assessment causing you to miss some flashes of true elite NFL caliber potential. By the way, he has a true knack for finding gaps in zones and settling into them. That's something I noticed in his tape that stood out to me. For a guy who is going to be nigh impossible to cover in man from the slot (outside will depend on his ability to beat the press), the fact that he's skilled at finding soft spots in zone coverage just takes him to another level. The main question I have is how good he can get at running routes. His work at the combine makes me think he could be very good in that area after a season or two.

Comment

• Valid criticism. And you're right you can't penalize the player for the scheme and what is asked of him. I got hung up a little bit with Curtis Samuel and how a similar player with a similar background from the same team has translated to the NFL, and he's struggled a little bit. Maybe that isn't completely fair to Campbell, but I do try and draw correlations when I can just because they have some predictive value. I did not study Campbell at the Combine, so if he greatly impressed in those drills and showed the ability to make the various catches I was concerned about, that would definitely make him more desirable. Regardless, this was a good pick, even if I'm low on him, I still think the value is pretty spot on. The dude is electric and fun to watch, I loved the Carlos Henderson pick, Campbell can give us all the same things but even quicker and faster. The first two picks for Denver so far have a little bit of boom or bust to them, but both Haskins and Campbell probably go higher than you selected them in the real NFL draft. I suspect you're killing this thing so far.

Comment

• Campbell does some Devin Hester/Percy Harvin things with the ball in his hands.

I was really looking hard at Layne but then saw a bunch of his failings broken down on Twitter and got scared off. After the top guys in this class, cornerback seems like a bit of a gamble. The guys I wish I had drafted are all at positions of strength for my team.

Comment

• Parris was a great pick, would’ve been comfortable with him at 38.

Comment

Working...
                                X