Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick is in.

Comment

• A.J. brown is so good in the slot. Going to be a day starter great pick!

Comment

• With the 39th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS select;

WR A.J. BROWN, MISSISSIPPI

A.J. Brown is my #79 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board

WR AJ BROWN MISSISSIPPI

Alabama (2018): Playing slot WR. Slot, off man, curl route, drew the attention of three defenders, QB went elsewhere. Slot, zone coverage, curl route, again drawing a lot of attention. Slot, off man, stop route, ball batted at the line. Shows good movement and agility for being a bigger, thicker WR. Slot, off man, double move with a slant to an out, but QB threw the ball away. Slot, off man, stop and go into a deep corner, but ball went elsewhere. Slot, off man, out route, 5 yard gain, nice hands pluck. Looks to be solid blocking in the run game. Slot, off man, dig route, 10 yard gain. Slot, zone coverage, inside slant and then stopped in soft spot in zone, 15 yard gain on 3rd and 23, so that was a bit of a freebie. QB tried to force it in to Brown on one of his stop routes against zone coverage, safety read that and jumped the route for a pick six. Slot, off man, out route, 5 yard gain. Pretty impressed with his quickness and change of direction ability, looks natural doing double moves, completely reverses direction and can stop on a dime, and does so frequently. Not all that rare to see slot WRs show that type of elusiveness and agility, or route running acumen. It is rare to see someone this size doing it. That’s going to be the value, you get all the usual slot stuff but much better durability and a bigger target for the QB. Plus you get a legitimate blocker in the run game, and you get all of that in one package. I think Brown is going to go high if he tests well, and it looks like he should, a little worried about his long speed, haven’t see him flash that yet. Agility and quicks look good. Intrigued off this initial tape. Want to see some deeper routes to test his hands and speed.

LSU (2018); Playing slot WR. Slot, zone coverage, quick curl route, low throw and Brown dropped the pass. Good blocking down field in the run game. Just kind of uses his size and rams the DBs. Slot, off man, curl route, minimal gain. DB just sitting on his curl route, needs to mix it up. Quick pass in flat, 5 yard gain before forced out of bounds. Slot, off man, actually ran a stop and go up the seam but had to break it off into a sideline route once the QB scrambled, almost able make leaping snag on high throw at the sideline, but no dice. Slot, off man, inside slant, bullet by Ta’amu, clanked off Brown’s hands, CB may have been able to help deflect, may. I’m not going to worry about Brown’s hands yet, but he’s had a few passes now that he probably should have reeled in. Decleater block on DB while blocking down field for underneath WR, CB literally was KO’d. Slot, zone, out route, 5 yard gain. Slot, off man, out route, 5 yard gain. This is boring, lets run some other routes. Slot, off man, Go route, QB just heaved up a 50/50 ball, Brown able to push off a little bit, body out the DB, and make a nice high point reception. All of that is legit and what a bigger WR brings to the table. As long as there is no flag, and there was not here. Hitch route from slot, 5 yard gain, able to make first guy miss and get around the edge a little bit. End around screen pass, good burst and athleticism diving to the pylon for a 3 yard TD. Slot screen, a couple blockers outside, 5 yard gain, couldn’t make anything happen. Scramble drill, tried to back shoulder him at the pylon, but CB had good coverage. Slot, zone coverage, out route, got laid out right after the catch by CB Williams of all people and Williams flexed on him afterwards. Didn’t like this tape as much, had a few drops, felt like he was mostly just running dink and dunk five yards routes, which he was. He did run other routes but the QB never had time to sit in the pocket and let them develop. Looked good blocking in this game, and did show some down field ability on that one jump ball. There were some positives to take away for sure. I feel like Brown is really constrained by this offense though, the outside guys get all the fun.

Auburn (2018): Playing slot WR. Quick throw to slot for 5 yard gain. Slot, off man, comeback route, throw a little low and Brown couldn’t make the diving catch. Another ball he probably should have been able to reel in. Slot, off man, inside slant, 10 yard gain. Hitch route in slot, tried to get around the edge with help from blocking outside WR, 5 yard gain. Slot, swing pass, saw the safety coming up to blast him and alligator armed the ball a little bit. I’m less and less impressed with Brown the more games I do. It’s not all his fault, the offense is to blame for part of it, but he drops a lot of passes. Slot, zone coverage, double move on slant into out route, five yard gain on 3rd and 10. Not sure what the point of that was. He runs routes short of the sticks fairly often, and even though he’s a good athlete, I’ve yet to see him break tackles and make a bunch of YAC. Slot, zone coverage, double move on a post into a corner route, QB rolled out and bought time, good throw deep to the sideline, nice hands catch and kept his feet in bounds on the sideline. 50 yard gain. Slot, zone coverage, quick hitter on straight seam route just over the LBs coverage, nice catch and then Brown decided to take off and get that YAC I’ve been waiting to see. Flashed good speed across the field and up the far sideline for another 50 yard gain. Slot, zone coverage, curl route, 10 yard gain. Brown angry, wants more passes his way, less running plays. Kind of showing up the QB or coach on the field on multiple plays now, hopping around, flapping his arms, and getting really animated. Slot, off man, dig route, 15 yard gain. Slot, zone coverage, out route, cut back up the field and ran through DBs tackle attempt for the 10 yard TD. Slot, off man, out route, 10 yard gain. Game is long over, just piling up junk time stats. Slot, zone, crossing route on scramble drill, got smashed as ball arrived, dropped the pass. Better tape, but man, I didn’t like the tantrum in the middle of the game, and Brown continued to drop balls at a fairly alarming rate.

TLDR:
        Brown
        struggled with drops in each of these games.He did show good speed and athleticism though, continued to be a solid blocker, and made some yardage with his feet after the catch.What I did not see at any point on these tapes was a dynamic playmaking WR.He’s a big slot with good athleticism and average hands.He’s interesting, but I don’t understand 1stround draft talk at all.After the first tape I was intrigued, the following games kind of turned me off a little bit. Has talent though and a unique build for the position which may or may not be a good thing.

Note/Explanation: Similar to the N'Keal Harry and Irv Smith situations. Unique size and playstyle for the position. Looking back through recent draft history, there's nobody like Brown that has been drafted high. DeAngelo Yancey went in the 5th round in 2017, he was 6'1, 220. If you go all the way back to 2014, you have Quincy Enunwa at 6'2, 230, he's a little bit of a similar rocked up build, but he went in the 6th round. Brown is a tough deal because he doesn't play TE, can't give you emergency inline snaps, is pretty much just a permanent slot that doesn't really go deep and drops more than a fair amount of passes. He and N'Keal Harry are two peas in a pod. They're either going to break the mold at the WR position, or they're going to fade away into obscurity as too big and limited, but yet not big enough at the same time (TE size). I felt Brown was a little bit less of a risk than Harry just because he's already established in the slot and knows the position.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post

LMAO.....I've got Scribe on the run now.
          I mean, you did piss me off with the Metcalf pick but I had no realistic way to trade up for him.

in other news. Well thought of receivers pissed in MUG’s Cheerios.

Comment

• Indeed scribe. Mug is very tough on these wrs. I haven’t watched all the snaps like mug obviously but I see a real good class of wrs here. Be interesting to see how he ranks some of the next tier guys

Comment

• Originally posted by BowlenBall View Post
              If Denver took either Dexter Lawrence or Dalton Risner at #10 overall, I wouldn't be overly upset. Sure, that would be a reach, but still... both will play 10+ years in the NFL.
              Do you remember the hype on Dexter Lawrence two years ago?

https://www.stack.com/a/why-nfl-scou...2019-nfl-draft
              Why NFL Scouts Believe Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence Is a Lock to be the No. 1 Overall Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft

While the football world waits to see what the Cleveland Browns will do with the first pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, certain experts believe they already know who's going to be the first pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

In a recent article for Fox Sports, reporter Bruce Feldman revealed that Dexter Lawrence—a rising sophomore defensive tackle at Clemson—is already penciled in by certain scouts as the top pick two years from now. From Feldman:
              Prediction from an NFL coach in Indy over the weekend: "Mark it down now: The No. 1 overall pick of the 2019 draft is gonna be [Clemson's 6-foot-5, 340-pound defensive tackle] Dexter Lawrence. There is nothing like him in this draft in terms of size and quickness. He's ridiculous."

Comment

• Man the more I watch this draft unfold the more I hope Denver trades down outside of devin white being there.

Dexter Lawrence and Dalton Risner, maybe nab that middle backer from nana.

Comment

• Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
                  Indeed scribe. Mug is very tough on these wrs. I haven’t watched all the snaps like mug obviously but I see a real good class of wrs here. Be interesting to see how he ranks some of the next tier guys

WR class is fine, but some of these guys are slot only types with stocky builds, and that's not something historically the NFL has done. Sometimes you get the smaller TEs that kick to the slot, but they often have speed and are mismatches that can also be used inline or play hback at times. There's not a lot of short 230 lb balls of muscle playing only the slot every down, so it's definitely hard to rank them. I actually was worried I was too high on Harry and Brown when I stacked my board. I'll be the first to tell you that I have no idea if they go in the 1st round or the 5th round. I just kind of kept comparing them to other WRs in this draft and historical drafts along with other positional players in the draft, and trying to figure out where *I* would feel comfortable selecting them. This draft has the potential to break a lot of molds and answer a lot of questions for future prospects with how the NFL views Kyler Murray, Irv Smith, and several of these very similar 6'1, 230ish lb WRs.

I will say that anyone that's in the top three rounds is definitely someone I liked on tape. This is a very deep draft, some of these guys have to fall a bit just because you can't put everyone in the first or second round due to running out of room.

Comment

• Originally posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
                    Man the more I watch this draft unfold the more I hope Denver trades down outside of devin white being there.

Dexter Lawrence and Dalton Risner, maybe nab that middle backer from nana.
                    I'm in the boat that there is little to no difference between Devin White and Devin Bush. Almost identical. I also think they end up going back to back in the real NFL draft to Denver and Cincinnati.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

I mean, you did piss me off with the Metcalf pick but I had no realistic way to trade up for him.

in other news. Well thought of receivers pissed in MUG’s Cheerios.
                      I don’t know, I’m in the same boat with MUG. Size for receivers doesn’t matter anymore when you look at offenses today. They seem to be geared towards smaller, reliable, and versatile receivers like Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, Brandin Cooks. Endelman, TY Hilton etc.

Those guys can catch the football and have speed to cover more ground vertically and horizontally. NFL offenses seem to be trending towards receivers that have versatility in plays, not just lining them in the slot but moving them around on all formations forcing defenses to defend spaces.

That being said, I don’t know about AJ Brown being ranked 79 on Mug’s board but I understand his write up. Not a lot of versatility in formations on the tape, just in the slot.

Comment

• Hopefully Med’s meeting is over by tomorrow afternoon...

Comment

• Originally posted by 24champ View Post
                          Hopefully Med’s meeting is over by tomorrow afternoon...
                          Med gonna Med

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

I'm in the boat that there is little to no difference between Devin White and Devin Bush. Almost identical. I also think they end up going back to back in the real NFL draft to Denver and Cincinnati.
                            Either one would add some desperately needed speed to our interior LBs. Short passes to RBs and TEs have been killing us for a couple years now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 24champ View Post

I don’t know, I’m in the same boat with MUG. Size for receivers doesn’t matter anymore when you look at offenses today. They seem to be geared towards smaller, reliable, and versatile receivers like Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, Brandin Cooks. Endelman, TY Hilton etc.

Those guys can catch the football and have speed to cover more ground vertically and horizontally. NFL offenses seem to be trending towards receivers that have versatility in plays, not just lining them in the slot but moving them around on all formations forcing defenses to defend spaces.

That being said, I don’t know about AJ Brown being ranked 79 on Mug’s board but I understand his write up. Not a lot of versatility in formations on the tape, just in the slot.
                              These WR's are different than the class from last year. Last year had a lot of big WR's who were just big and some were barely productive.
                              The guys of similar size this year are faster, stronger, more versatile and project far better to the NFL than the previous ones.

Some of these guys were straight up blue chip prospects as recruits. The guys from last year, some of them were sparsely recruited as HS players and had to settle for lesser schools due to academic and other reasons.

It's not so much that the NFL is moving away from size and speed prospects, the NFL is moving towards finding play makers no matter their size.

Comment

• Damn it I fell asleep. I’ll pick in a few minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X