X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the 31st overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the LOS ANGELES RAMS select;

OT CODY FORD, OKLAHOMA

Cody Ford is my #19 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board.

OT CODY FORD OKLAHOMA

Texas G1 (2018): Playing RT. He’s a very thick individual, but he has some fluidity to him which is surprising. Not seeing any type of kickslide, he pretty much just punches and leans so far, has been mostly immovable. Does move his feet relatively well, especially for his size, has some mirror ability. Not a fat statue at all. Looks capable on combo blocks and then climbing to second level to pick off a LB. Showing a kickslide now in pass pro, it’s not amazing, but it’s average and he shuffles and slides to cover ground fairly quickly. His feet are good, this is kind of impressive. Flagged for a BS holding call, he just threw the guy down. Pulled him all the way around the LT, he’s slowish, but it worked. He’s killing DE Hager with power, just caved him to the ground on off tackle run. Pulling him around the LT quite a few times. Seeing good mirror ability, especially in run blocking when DEs are trying to redirect off his initial block. Initial stance is a little high, probably due to size. Holding his own against the arc rush against Hager, not really going against DE Omenihu yet. One his best traits is his initial punch, he really redirects and rattles the DE with it. Pull around the LG that effectively sprung Murray on a QB scramble for a 70 yard TD. Probably only had about 10 reps in pass pro protecting the edge, largely asked to down block or pull inside the majority of the game. On his reps, he held the edge fine, for his size, his feet and agility are good. He’s a bull in the run game, total people mover. Need to see more to determine if he can stay at RT or not. Initial impression is that he can.

Texas, G2 (2018): Playing RT. Hoping for some Omenihu this game. Excellent pull around the OC to help spring the RB down to the goal line. So far, doing the same thing as last game, lots of down blocking, they are keeping him from having to go on an island outside. Finally got to see a nice pass pro rep isolated against the DE outside, keyed in on the footwork, it looks good enough to stick at OT. His kickslide is short and gains average depth, he tries to get to where he can chop and shuffle as quick as possible. His size and length makes it viable. Orlando Brown was similar, Ford is a better athlete with much better feet. Really need to see him against some speed rushers, but so far looks capable as a RT. Two warts to worry about, first, for a big guy, he can get pushed back at times by bull rushes, he plays too high and he does not have great balance. Second, DE Graham put a speed rush on him around the arc and he had to almost dive to prevent it from getting home. Nice job on mirror on safety blitz off the edge, tried to hit him with an outside in move and Ford shifted his weight and cut it off perfectly. That’s the type of athleticism that makes me think he can stick at RT in the NFL. Nice pull around the OC to pick off a LB. Nice mirror on Omenihu, tried a rip move, Ford able to handle it and stay centered on him. He’s cementing the fact he can play RT in the NFL. Continually handling the DB blitz off the edge late, kickslide is clearly good enough combined with his feet and length. Absolutely shutting down the Texas defense in the second half. Literally sent DE Hager flying onto his back with just his punch on an inside run play, when he comes firing off the line in the run game, he’s almost unstoppable. You could easily see a Pro Bowl OG in him, but he has the feet and athleticism to stick at the more valuable RT position and be very good, especially in a run oriented scheme.

Alabama (2018): Playing RT. Big test here. Picked up DT Williams on a stunt, handled him well on outside rush. Other OTs have struggled with that. No problem with strength going 1v1 with DT Davis. Great job on arc rush against LB Jennings, shuffled, stayed square, and mirrored perfectly. Getting a lot of 1v1 reps against Jennings on the outside in passing situations, this is good tape eval, and he’s looking rock solid. Kickslide looks a little deeper, feet continue to be fairly remarkable for his size. This might be a special type of athlete for a RT. LB Miller beat him on an inside move for a pressure, just beat him off the line with quickness. That’s probably the quickest guy he’s gone against so far, so that’s something to watch. Nice pull around the OC to help spring a decent run. Continues to dominate DT Davis in all aspects so far. Surprisingly getting bull rushed a bit off the edge by the DBs and OLBs when they blitz, might be so focused on getting depth and protecting outside that he’s getting caught off balance. Davis finally beat him with an outside swim for a sack, it looked like Ford expected a quick inside play and kind of just turned him loose around the edge. Good tape here, had more pass pro sets than normal, and he mostly passed those tests. Continued to be a force in the running game, even against this defense.

TLDR;
    Surprising agility for a man as big as he’s listed. I think he can play RT in the NFL and be pretty good, he’ll excel in the run game and mostly hold up in pass pro. The really quick edge rushers may give him some issues. He could be a plug and play Pro Bowl RG on Day 1 though, so that’s the dilemma. Regardless, he’s a stud on the OL somewhere.

Comment

• With the 32nd overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS select;

DT DEXTER LAWRENCE, CLEMSON

Dexter Lawrence is my #14 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board.

DT DEXTER LAWRENCE CLEMSON

Texas AM (2018): Playing RDT in 43 looks, and RE and NT in 34 looks. First thing that stands out is his feet, he shuffles and picks them up well for a reported 350lb guy, there’s no way that weight can be correct. Does a good job stacking up the OL, even double teams, at the line. Shows good ability to read and flow down the line with the RB. Stack and shed on RG, stuffed RB on inside run. RG able to drive him back a few yards, but Lawrence able to slide off the side of him on redirect and make tackle on RB for minimal gain. Really comes off the snap firing as a 34 NT, strong punch on the OL which jolts them. Moved up the ball a little bit by the RG and OC double team, it took them a tad too long to drive him out, and the RB got bottled up and tackled by teammates for minimal gain. Good power, just walks the OC back into the QB for pressure. RT blew a blocking assignment, realized he was supposed to be reach blocking the LDT a tad too late and Lawrence able to shoot through for a QB pressure. Nice job redirecting off double team, jumping up and swatting down pass. His movement ability for his size is not something you see very often. Lawrence does a lot of read and react, he’s pretty quick with making decisions and has active hands to easily disengage, that mixture allows him to play faster than you’d expect. He’s very active for a giant NT, he’s all over the place. Ran through the LG to stuff the RB on an inside run. Maybe the best thing with Lawrence is that while he’s doing his read and react thing, he can actually move the OL backwards, generally the NT just shoots his arms and reads the play, Lawrence drives them back while doing it. He is a step above every other NT I’ve seen so far, and there are some solid ones. Outside swim on the LT to beat him, but LG double team able to pick him up. Powered around the LG, once he got the angle flattened out and put a big hit on the QB. Lumbers when he runs in the open field, not a guy that’s going to be chasing down many plays. Tried to slice inside the OC, that was blocked, used a club move to redirect back around the OC and put some pressure on the QB. Shot the inside gap and powered through the shoulder of the RG for a QB pressure, probably should have had the sack, but QB able to dance away from his diving tackle attempt. Rip move on LG for a QB pressure. Showing he’s more than just a big body NT, this looks a lot like Vea from last draft, a disruptive penetrating guy that can play NT, but can be so much more. Twist inside, nobody picked him up, big hit on the QB. Really remarkable tape, definitely one of the elite athletes and impact making defenders in this draft. If he is used just as a two gap NT, it will be a real shame. I would compare him to Ndamukong Suh.

Boston College (2018): Playing RDT in a 43 defense, plays both NT and DE in 34 looks. LG able to wall him off from off tackle run. Chased down a RB screen and made the tackle on the sideline 10 yards down the field. That comment I made last game about not chasing down plays, yeah, scratch that. Flashed a nice inside spin move to disengage from the OC. Shot the gap between the LG and LT double team, actually showed some quickness getting into it before powering through and stuffing the RB on off tackle run. He has everything you could want in a DT. If he truly weighs in north of 315 lbs, this is just remarkable. Stacked up the RG, RB had nowhere to go tackled for no gain. Nice job reading screen, cutting off his rush and covering the RB, forcing the QB to throw it away. Stacked up the LG and OC double team, RB ran into their backs and had to try and cut outside for minimal gain. Lawrence consistently stacks up double teams, he’s very difficult to move, generally the best they can do is tie him up and wall him off, and even that only happens here and there. Destroyed the OC by running him into the backfield, then dropped him and stuffed the RB for a big loss. This guy is very much an unstoppable and difference making force in the middle of the field. He’s primarily a fun defender, no doubt about that, but he shows surprising athleticism and quickness at times when asked to shoot gaps. That combined with his strength makes him dangerous as a pass rusher as well. If the QB is immobile and can’t dance away, Lawrence can take over games. He’s going to limit the running game regardless. Generally plays about 70% of the snaps while the game is in doubt, so seems to have good endurance. Going to be a very high selection as long as that PED suspension at the end of the year doesn’t drop him.

Pittsburgh (2018): Playing RDT in 43 defense. Ran over and threw down the LG, he can multitask, and then stuffed the RB for a loss. Bull rush on LG, sacked the QB. Nice start to the game. Stack and shed on OC, stuffed RB for no gain. Nice job reading outside run, ran down the line stringing out the RB before finally tackling him when he tried to make his cut near the sideline. Good athleticism on that play. Pittsburgh running away from wherever he lines up now, getting the extensive double team treatment as well. Split the LG and OC double team, just kind of uses some quickness off the snap to get to the gap and then powers through it from there. QB pressure on that play. Powered through LG, stuffed RB for a loss. Nice job on read option, forced the QB back inside where he was tackled for a loss. Stacked up OC, RB ran into his back, teammates able to stuff him for loss. Didn’t play most of the 4th quarter in this blow out. Bummed he was suspended for the championship tournament, would have done Alabama here instead.

TLDR:
      Overall though, Lawrence is a NT that is almost impossible to consistently block 1v1, he is going to demand double teams, probably right away in the NFL. He has excellent agility and athleticism for someone reported to be 350lbs. If he weighs in at 315, it’s still plus agility and athleticism. Like Vea from last draft, he’s more than just a two down NT, this is a three down player that can disrupt the inside and get some sacks. The PED suspension and possible questions around that are the only thing that should keep him from going at the top of this draft. I like him best as a one gap NT in a 43 defense. Best player to player comp is Ndamukong Suh.

Comment

• Cardinals get a stud OL at 33 in Risner, I love this dude so much. I hope he falls to Denvers 2nd pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
          Cardinals get a stud OL at 33 in Risner, I love this dude so much. I hope he falls to Denvers 2nd pick.
          I was targeting him so...yeah.

Comment

• With the 33rd overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the ARIZONA CARDINALS select;

OT DALTON RISNER, KANSAS STATE

Dalton Risner is my #44 overall prospect on my Top 300 Big Board.

OT DALTON RISNER KANSAS STATE

Mississippi State (2018): Playing RT. Solid athleticism, does a great job getting to the second level to wall of LBs. Made a mistake with his protection and let Sweat run in free for a smash on the QB to kill a drive. Doing a nice job in the run game, grapples, turns the DE, moves him a little, and keeps him completely walled off from the lane. Not showing much of a kickslide so far, just kind of shuffles to protect the edge and that’s not going to cut it. Sweat just destroyed him on a run play, jacked him up and pancaked him back into the RB to blow up the play. He doesn’t kick slide, what is this nonsense. Just got shoved back into the QB for a sack. Solid job pulling around the OC on an inside run. Sweat smoked him around the arc for a QB hit. This guy can’t play OT, his technique looks like he never has played OT before. He grapples well and can be an asset while run blocking, but he’s awful in pass pro on the edge. Did some quick research, he has earned high accolades at RT for the last three years. I have no idea how. His freshman year and during HS he was a standout at OC. I think he fits much better inside than at OT. This might be a situation like the Michigan guy from last year where he plays out of position to help the team, but will get drafted to play his original position. We’ll see. He’s showing good toughness and scrappiness, has no problem blocking through the whistle. Has a pretty strong punch if he can square up the DE. Sweat with a sack, but the QB pretty much ran into that one. Looks good blocking straight ahead, good combo block and then he’s up on the LB or Safety at the second level. He has solid feet and athleticism . Tried to pull him around the RT, that didn’t work. He’s generally looked good when he squares up his guy and just hunkers down against the rush. Rock solid as a run blocker. He just can’t play outside at the next level. Pretty interesting as an OG or OC. I think comparing him to Mason Cole makes sense.

Texas (2018): Playing RT. Tried to pull him all the way across to get the opposite DE, almost worked. He has the mobility and feet to be an effective puller. Nice job sealing off the DE on off tackle run. Does a great job getting to the second level and abusing LBs. Great pull around the OC on inside run, landed his block on the LB. Doesn’t kickslide at all, just shuffles. Does a good job hunkering down against power bull rushes. Pretty good grappler. Very aggressive, blocks through the whistle, gets a little feisty. He’s mostly a relatively mobile interior grappler type that is pretty well rounded, why he is playing out of position at OT is beyond me. KSU does a lot of quick stuff and lots of running, he’s not asked to cover the edge very often which is his clear Achilles heel. He just killed the safety at the second level on an inside run, sheesh. Pretty sure that was a pancake plus a teabag. Really like his toughness and how he just wrestles like hell with the DL and turns them away from the play. Very physical guy. Solid job on mirror, if he can square his guy and get his hands into their chest, he controls them easily. Has consistently done a great job peeling off his primary guy and picking up a blitzing player. Would say he’s gotten the better of Omenihu this majority of this game, especially hunkering down against his bull rush which Paul Adams struggled greatly with. Beaten by rip move to stuff run by Omenihu. That’s the only time he’s really been beat so far. Thought this was pretty strong tape, most of what he does well should translate easily at any of the three inside positions. Wasn’t beaten outside in this game, but they covered him with a TE to help block the edge frequently.

Oklahoma State (2018): Playing RT. Missed the delayed blitz by the OLB who ran right by him and stuffed the run. DE is lining up extra wide, he’s going to have trouble stopping the edge rush, he almost got by him on that run. Beat him around the edge on next play for a pressure. Getting solid movement in the run game. Nice pull around OC to land key block to spring an inside run. Nice seal block on the DE on outside sweep, did a nice job punching and shoving him towards the sideline. Nice job shifting off his man to pick up and bury a safety on the blitz. Has largely been pretty dominant in the run game. They cover him up with a TE on most passing downs where they want to take a shot down field. Used him to run out and lead a WR screen, shows good athleticism even though that play didn’t work out. Huge movement down at the goal line to lead a TD. Great seal block on DE on long off tackle run. Absolutely crushes LBs at the second level. This is probably his best tape so far, he really hasn’t been challenged much around the arc, and he has absolutely destroyed pretty much everyone with his run blocking.

TLDR:
            This looks like a high draft pick as an interior OL. His lack of kickslide and the way they cover him with a TE on most passing plays suggests he won’t be an OT at the next level.
            Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 03-21-2019, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• He is a the perfect Bronco signing for sure. He can plug in at Guard right away and take over at Tackle if James or Bolles gets hurt.

Comment

Cardinals get a stud OL at 33 in Risner, I love this dude so much. I hope he falls to Denvers 2nd pick.
                Ludo, for draft scoring (Team Needs/Same Position) purposes, are you drafting him as an OT, OG, or OC?

Comment

• Thats the beauty he does it all. But for the purpose of the game, Ill say tackle.

Comment

Thats the beauty he does it all. But for the purpose of the game, Ill say tackle.
                    Okies, I'll edit my write up to say OT.

Comment

• Med is on a conference call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

Do you guys live near each other for real? You gotta make the draft a yearly thing. Way back I met up once or twice with a bunch of Bronco fans from broncomania at BW3s, even got the Rev to pop by and hang out one of those times. And from there most of the guys moved away, not sure what happened to the Rev, but one dude and I have been getting together at my house for Day 2 of the draft for years now. I don't see him except for that one day every year, but it makes the draft experience a lot of fun, just chowing on wings and shooting the breeze. My advice is definitely get together if you can.
                        Anyone thinking about attending the draft next year if it's in Vegas? My draft buddy and I are pretty set on the idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by 24champ View Post
                          Med is on a conference call.
                          lol always

Comment

• If Denver took either Dexter Lawrence or Dalton Risner at #10 overall, I wouldn't be overly upset. Sure, that would be a reach, but still... both will play 10+ years in the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRBronco View Post

Anyone thinking about attending the draft next year if it's in Vegas? My draft buddy and I are pretty set on the idea.
                              I can't I will have two infants by then but I will be in Nashville next month. We went last year in Arlington it was awesome!

Comment

• Originally posted by BowlenBall View Post
                                If Denver took either Dexter Lawrence or Dalton Risner at #10 overall, I wouldn't be overly upset. Sure, that would be a reach, but still... both will play 10+ years in the NFL.
                                I agree, maybe not super high ceilings for either (maybe Dexter) but solid players

Comment

Working...
                                X