• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Following the 2019 Orange Mane Mock Draft,

the DENVER BRONCOS sign:

RB KARAN HIGDON, MICHIGAN

Karan Higdon is #232 on my Top 300 Big Board.

RB KARAN HIGDON MICHIGAN

Notre Dame (2018): Playing shotgun and under center scheme. Looks extremely average so far. High effort guy that looks pretty limited as an athlete. Rock solid in pass pro. Smaller guy, they keep pounding him up the middle though and that is just not working well early on in this game. He has some short area wiggle and he’s a slasher type, he’s good about getting north south as fast as possible. Has been mostly bottled up, but speed and quickness look average. He runs hard, but not breaking any tackles. Getting pretty much only what is blocked. Just lacks the speed to be effective on toss sweeps, at least against this defense. Short goal line TD where he just followed the blocks and powered through. Subbed out during hurry up offense where they threw a lot of passes to the other RB. Kind of played like Devontae Booker. Total lack of playmaking ability, only can get what is blocked, but is very solid in pass pro. Did not appear to have any enticing NFL traits in this game.

Wisconsin (2018): Playing shotgun and under center scheme. Made a nice diving catch on a poorly thrown ball when he leaked out as a safety valve. Short bunny TD where he basically just walked in. He has good toughness and effort, they keep pounding him inside, but his size really limits him there. Still, he’s doing better than most 200lb RBs would do, kind of like Phillip Lindsey in that regard, but nowhere close to that type of speed or quickness. Can make a decent jump cut running at full speed, just enough wiggle to make someone miss in the hole, though that doesn’t happen all that often. Does not break tackles at all. Looks really slow when running laterally on sweeps, got blasted and fumbled. Off tackle run where the red sea parted and he had a nice chunk gain, had a jump cut in the hole to change direction and wove up the field for good yardage. When he is successful, its generally that he flows in one direction and makes one cutback and gets up field. Another nice cutback run where he wasn’t touched for twenty yards. Shows decent speed when he gets in the open field. Another nice run where he bounced it outside and raced around the edge. His speed does not seem great, but it isn’t a detriment. With good blocking and getting him in space outside, he can do some damage. Pretty much sat out the 4th quarter in this blowout. Curious to see his speed, unless he times well, going to be hard to draft him.

Ohio State (2018): Playing shotgun and under center scheme. Does a nice job with his chip blocks. Runs a little helter skelter, not very fluid. Speed looks pretty average, looks pretty fearless, just slams it north south. The other RB, Evans, looking more explosive early. Dump off on outlet pass for minimal gain. Shows some agility and jump cut ability, remains fairly easy to tackle so far though. Has been coming out on short yardage situations. 10 yard off tackle run where he ran through an arm tackle and stiff armed the LB, best run so far. Evans continues to look like the far superior back both in the pass game and when running. They keep running him up the middle for a yard, he’s not making anyone miss or breaking tackles consistently. Got smashed on a swing pass and had the ball knocked out for incompletion. Has looked pretty good when running off tackle, cuts outside or inside equally well and fairly sudden, nice cutback run for a chunk gain. Runs with patience and tries to feel the creases, except when running inside, then he just slams it in there. Another nice gain off an off tackle run, big hole that time, long speed is nothing special, nice stiff arm at the end. Probably only played about 30% of the snaps in this game as he is rarely used in the passing game and they got down big early. Was the least impressive RB on the field.

TLDR:
    Total lack of playmaking ability, only can get what is blocked, but is very solid in pass pro. Can make a decent jump cut running at full speed, just enough wiggle to make someone miss in the hole, though that doesn’t happen all that often. Does not break tackles at all. Has looked pretty good when running off tackle, cuts outside or inside equally well and fairly sudden. Runs with patience and tries to feel the creases, except when running inside, then he just slams it in there. Kind of a one speed physical runner but doesn’t make people miss, doesn’t break enough tackles, and doesn’t have the elite speed most smaller RBs have. Best trait is probably his toughness. All about the measurables for him in terms of draft value. On tape, I don’t see a guy I’m rushing to draft until the final day, if at all.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalBronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS sign:

DT CHRIS SLAYTON, SYRACUSE

Chris Slayton is #143 on my Top 300 Big Board

DT CHRIS SLAYTON SYRACUSE

Clemson (2018): Playing LDT in a 43 defense, NT in 34 looks. This guy has some power, just threw the RG down like he was nothing. Is having some success just getting into a gap and pushing his way through. LT down blocked him, he just worked through it and stuffed the RB for minimal gain. Powered through the inside shoulder of the LG, run was to the outside though. Nice job reading a RB sweep, knifed through the outside gap of the RG, pushed the RT away, ran into the pulling LG, and forced the RB to stop and cut all the way back inside. Powered through the inside shoulder of the RG and put a hit on the QB as he released the ball. He doesn’t do much in terms of straight bull rushes, he’s working gaps like a boss though. At the goal line, he got worked by the Clemson RG and RT on several plays, 1v1 blocks , they moved him straight backwards. Tried to shoot inside gap on RG, OC down blocked on him and put him in the dirt. This guy is extremely inconsistent. Can run a little bit in the open field for a big guy, has long strides, looks mostly fluid. Tried to reach block him with the LT, did a nice job slicing inside off the snap and getting penetration, RB ran off tackle, Slayton does not have the ability to change directions well, he has to kind of round it off and by that time the RB was out of reach. Rip move on the RG, able to get around him outside and ran the arc basically for a QB sack. That was fairly slow, QB held the ball a little too long. Will play him occasionally at 34 NT, fairly rare though. Body slam on RB on draw right before half. Decent job stacking up the LT and LG double team. Read screen, broke off rush, able to make diving tackle on RB for a loss. Stack and shed on LT, able to fall off and tackle RB for short gain. Interesting tape. He’s a NT that likes to play like a 3 technique, the Gerrard Warren syndrome. If you squint really hard, he has some moments where he looks like a poor man’s Jeffery Simmons. He’s just really inconsistent, to the point that I think he’s hulkish strong and then he gets pancaked 1v1 by the OG. He looks relatively slow, and then he bursts off the snap and gets through a gap. I have no idea who the real Chris Slayton is at this point, I do know he flashes big time potential at moments throughout the game though.

NC State (2018): Playing LDT in a 43 defense, NT in 34 defense. Beat the RG up the outside gap for a QB hit, flashing plus quickness for a big NT. OC tried to down block him on a reverse, Slayton shot the gap so quickly that the OC was confused and looking around for him. He did this last game against Clemson as well, starts off like gangbusters but then he faded, we’ll see what he does in this game. At NT in 34, swim over the OC up the left side, powered through the LG double team for minor pressure. Slayton does not appear to want to stack and react, he likes to shoot gaps whenever he can. Powered through outside shoulder of the RG for a pressure, went straight for the gap off the snap. OC and LG double team stoned him that time. Actually did a man up bull rush on the OC and really shoved him back into the QB for a pressure. He’s mashing people now, lining up at 34 NT and just shoving OC Bradbury into the backfield like he’s on turbo skates. When straight at the RG and shoved him ten yards into the backfield. This is pretty interesting because he’s fairly solid at shooting gaps and powering through for pressures. If he can also bull rush the bejeezus out of people as well, that’s going to make blocking him very difficult. Left him unblocked, able to just charge forward and tackle the RB for a minimal gain. Looped around outside on a stunt, able to get around the LT and put a hit on the QB. First half is over, Slayton was unstoppable in the first quarter and then became completely stoppable in the second quarter, this happened for the second game in a row. I don’t know if he gets tired or what, but it’s frustrating. Not making any plays in the 3rd quarter, but he’s flashing solid athleticism, he’s back to trying to shoot gaps after going more traditional stack and react in the 2nd quarter. He has legit burst and can actually run fluidly, he’s probably going to test well in the pre-draft process. He looks like a special DT prospect, it’s just really inconsistent. Beat the RG by shooting the outside gap on a speed rush, he has a legit first step and burst. Beat the LT, they slid him down inside on the snap, Slayton went around him outside and had the angle off the edge, LT grabbed and held him to prevent a sack. Bear swipe on RG, able to beat him up the inside gap for a pressure and flushed the QB out of the pocket. Getting a lot of double teams in the 4th quarter as NC State has to pass to catch up, more often than not it ends in a stalemate. And that’s game. He didn’t disappear in the second half at least, was a factor the majority of the game. I think DCs are going to love him. He does everything well, he just doesn’t do it well all the time. He doesn’t really lose all that often, just doesn’t always win. I like him as a 3 down DT in any scheme. I did Simmons yesterday, and I see a lot of similarities, Slayton is just not nearly as consistent or dominant, but he’s in the ballpark. If Simmons goes in the 1st Round, Slayton should be a mid-round pick.

Boston College (2018): Playing LDT in a 43 defense. Driven well off the line by the RG 1v1, that wasn’t very good. Solid job stacking up the OC and RG double team, helped clog up the RB. Solid job stacking up the RG, read and react on 4th and 3, unable to tackle the QB on a scramble for the first down. Not athletic enough for that. Stacked up the RG and OC double team, then got pushed back a little, clogged up the hole though and teammates able to tackle RB for short gain. Slayton getting a lot of double teams early in this game. Sliced inside the OC with a swim move, ran through the RB, flushed the QB from the pocket. Solid pressure play. Pushed back initially by the RT and RG double team, able to hunker down and power through it and help tackle RB for short gain. Powered through RG’s down block, flowed down the line, big hit on the RB in the hole. Driven off the line by the OC and LG double team. Lots of tape on how he handles double teams, he tries to hunker down but struggles with them a fair amount. Probably loses more than he wins. Really flashes an elite burst off the snap at times for a NT, but most of the time he does not, much more average get off. Three games in now, and I still don’t know what I’m going to get from him play to play. Most of the game he’s floats in the average to solid category, sometimes he gets beaten, and other times looks all-world. Probably the most inconsistent player I’ve seen in this entire draft process so far, at least so far as someone that alternates from unstoppable beast to decidedly average. Stacked up the RT and RG double team, stuffed the RB at the line. Beast play. Stab step and then beat the LG around the outside for a QB pressure. Sat out the second half of the 4th quarter in this blow out, missed some prime stat paddin’ time.

TLDR:
    My thoughts have mostly been articulated throughout these games in detail. He flashes massive potential as a 3 down NT that could also play DE in a 34 defense. He might even have enough juice to be a legit 3 technique disrupter. Very curious about his Combine times because he looks like a good athlete for the position and looks pretty strong as well. Type of player that gets over drafted based on his tape because he flashes dominating potential at times. I need to find a player in NFL draft history who I can compare him to coming out, try and get an idea where an inconsistent, but potentially dominating DT might go in the draft. Ra’Shede Hageman is the comp I come up with. He went early in the 2
    nd
    round, I think that won’t happen with Slayton, I’m more in the early day 3 area, but similar players, inconsistent big bodies that prefer to try and shoot gaps. Lots of physical abilities. Hageman was a bust, but I think that was off field issues and dedication. NFL teams love big DTs with potential. Slayton is one of those.
    Thanks, MUG.

Yeah, I was envisioning him as our 4-3 1 tech next to Buckner and that would be a tough duo to handle inside for offenses.

​​​​​​Now, the whole DL is potentially savage in the 4-3 Under: Ford, Buckner, Slayton and Jackson.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

the NEW YORK JETS select:

WR TYRON JOHNSON, OKLAHOMA STATE

Tyron Johnson is #229 on my Top 300 Big Board.

WR TYRON JOHNSON OKLAHOMA STATE

Kansas State (2018): Playing outside WR. LWR, zone, curl route, 10 yard gain, tackled immediately. Not much use blocking in the run game. Outside WR screen, minimal gain. LWR, zone, out route, tight coverage, pass incomplete. Shows pretty good burst off the snap. Does a decent job of giving some wiggle and then just shooting around the CB in press man and avoiding the jam. LWR, off man, out route, CB drove on the throw and swatted ball away. LWR, off man, hitch route, made first guy miss, good YAC on the play for 30 yards. Scramble drill, sitting wide open on sideline, QB with inaccurate ball out of bounds. LWR, off man, inside slant, drop on a perfect throw. Initial thoughts are that he’s just a straight line speed guy, none of his routes popped as particularly sharp, and with the one easy drop, his hands are suspect as well. He’s not a core part of the passing attack or offense, just an ancillary weapon that runs a lot of clear out routes. Not impressive at all as a blocker.

Oklahoma (2018); Playing outside WR, rarely in the slot. Solid block on DB on WR screen. Struggling with the jam, getting shoved into the sideline. Whiffed on his block that time on WR screen. LWR, off man, skinny post, Johnson skied up and hauled it in for the 40 yard TD. Nice throw, nice catch. LWR, zone, inside slant, 10 yard gain. LWR, off man, hitch route, nice pivot to make first guy miss, 15 yard gain. I wouldn’t say he’s quick or elusive, but he’s bursty, has some stop start ability to him. LWR, off man, inside slant, 15 yard gain. Just destroying OU’s huge cushion off man coverage. This guy has speed, QB has a big arm, they are scared of the deep ball, but because of that speed and arm strength, they have no chance of defending these in-breaking routes. Scramble drill, just kind of stayed on the sideline, QB threw him the ball, leaned over and caught it while falling out of bounds, both feet down, 10 yard gain. LWR, off man, dig route, CB able to break on the ball and knock it down. That was not a sharp route, Johnson got lazy thinking the CB was going to play lax, just charged right through the break and almost picked off the ball. Outside WR screen, hurdled the CB, 10 yard gain. LWR, off man, out and up route, had a step on the CB but QB threw ball out of bounds. Outside WR screen, minimal gain. Outside WR screen, tackled immediately for no gain. The TE out there trying to lead block for him, absolutely worthless in that role. Better tape than the KSU game, but still mostly just a straight line speed guy. He struggles big time with the jam and physical play, not much of a blocker in the run game, his routes are not as sharp as they could be either. He’s basically a one-dimensional Go route type field stretcher. That has some value, and he showed some nice hands at times, definitely a good athlete as well, that hurdle was up there as was the leaping TD catch. Has some desirable tools, needs a lot of development.

Missouri (2018); Playing outside WR. Solid block on CB on WR screen. Another solid block on another WR screen, this time a cut block. Had a decent block down field, just kind of got in the way, on a long TD reception by another receiver, but that blocked helped him get to the end zone. No targets yet, but doing his part. And another good block on a WR screen. LWR, press man, jam, inside slant for 15 yards. That was a nice play, used a club type move to throw the CB off him on the jam, got inside position for the slant and able to pick up a little YAC. One of his most impressive reps so far on these tapes. LWR, off man, curl route, QB bounced the throw, couldn’t make diving attempt. LWR, off man, out route, ball overthrown. Cornelius is killing him with the poor accuracy in this game. That particular out route though was a nice, sharp cut and he was able to get some separation from the CB on the break. LWR, off man, corner fade, Johnson able to make a one armed snag of the 15 yard TD. Maybe a slight push off in there, but that was a very impressive catch. This is his best tape by far, he’s doing everything well. If he keeps this up in the second half, he’s going to get drafted off this game alone. Probably already is. I was on the fence, now I’m not, he’ll be on my board. LWR, off man, deep dig route, CB jumped the route and almost picked off pass. Not Johnson’s fault, he was bracketed on that play and Cornelius tried to force it in. LWR, off man, Go route, 50/50 ball, Johnson with a diving adjustment to cut underneath and made another really impressive catch in traffic for a 40 yard gain. LWR, press man, post route, absolutely scorched the CB and the safety deep, slight adjustment to underthrown ball, 50 yard TD. Holy smokes. Now it’s how high is he going to get drafted off this game? This is like a perfect game so far. More good blocking on WR screen. LWR, press man, stop and go route, absolutely embarrassed the CB on the double move and smoked him deep for a 30 yard gain. Only the ball being badly underthrown kept that from being a TD. Outside WR screen, 5 yards. Wow, this dude have himself a game. This entire thing was Tyron Johnson highlight reel and it was in the bowl game AND the only reason Oklahoma State won was because Johnson went nuts. No wonder the dude declared early, you can’t have a better game. He was a stud in all facets, blocking, receiving, route running, YAC. Maybe the best singular game by any WR in this draft. I’m not overstating this. Really want to see his athletic testing now. He’s a sleeper.

TLDR:
    Overall, Johnson is a #2 field stretching WR type, maybe like a Ted Ginn, Mike Wallace, or Torrey Smith type. After struggling in most aspects early in the season, Johnson was a force blocking, beating the jam, high pointing jump balls, and generally just being unstoppable in the bowl game against Missouri. Sleeper.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

the NEW YORK JETS sign:

LB GARY JOHNSON, TEXAS

Gary Johnson is #225 on my Top 300 Big Board.

LB GARY JOHNSON TEXAS

USC (2018); Playing ILB in nickel base defense, lines up all over though. Solid read and react to RB sweep, burst through the hole, and missed the tackle on the RB, he was able to string him out though and teammates cleaned it up for a loss. Blitz at line, stoned by the RG and OC. High effort, energizer bunny type, seems to go full speed all the time, chases everything. Athleticism looks solid, might be on the plus side. Read inside run, squared up the RB from the side and didn’t try to tackle him, RB up the middle for 15 yard TD. Not sure if he thought he might hit a teammate or that the teammate was going to make the tackle, but that sucked. Nice job reading screen, waiting just long enough for the blockers to get ahead of the RB, and then he shot underneath and stuffed the play for a loss. Absolutely trucked by the RB on off tackle run, was able to drag him down as he was getting run over though. Showed blitz off edge, dropped in shallow zone, slot WR on dig route, solid wrap up tackle immediately. Blitz off edge, ran through the RB’s block attempt, able to sack the QB. They really blitz him a lot, at least half the time it seems like, getting quite a few QB hits in, speed continues to look solid, does have a closing burst to him. RT pushed him outside, RB happened to do an outside spin, collision, tackle for loss. Blitz up middle, not sure if a run blitz or what, but he came through the line, RB was right there starting on a sweep, tackle for loss. Good job reading screen, pulling up off his blitz and covering the RB in the flat, forced QB to throw it away. Texas was up big, and they pretty much just kept sending Johnson on blitzes up the middle play after play. Not sure if I would call whatever he was doing LB play. He lined up at LB mostly, and he definitely did LB things at times, but not much reading and reacting, not much reading at all, just blitz, blitz, blitz. Need to see what else he can do.

Oklahoma G2 (2018): Playing ILB in base nickel defense. Couldn’t get off the LG’s block at second level, pretty much got to escort the RB for a ten yard gain. Solid job spying the QB and coming up on outside scramble attempt to tackle QB for a loss. Blitz up middle, QB pressure, forced a poor throw that was picked off. Stuffed RB on inside run at goal line, was unblocked charging through line, that stop forced a FG. This tape looks much more normal. He’s on spy duty a fair amount, but outside of that, he’s dropping into zone and reading/reacting to the run. Has made several solid tackles on inside runs for no gain. Has generally struggled getting off blocks, but did a nice job seeing the LG coming for him, pushing him away while running towards the RB on off tackle run, and making the tackle. Inside blitz on 3rd down, RB picked him up and stopped him cold. Dropped in zone on 3rd down, FB caught curl route, Johnson tackled him immediately short of first down. Blitz up A gap on 3rd down, able to somewhat jump over the RBs cut block attempt, QB able to side step him though. Delayed blitz, minor QB pressure. Nice read and react play on inside run, even kind of ducked and ran under and around the OGs to make the tackle for no gain. He makes a nice splash play like that and looks like a legitimate LB, and then he spends the next two drives blitzing non-stop, spying the QB, and being velcro’d to OGs at the second level. This is a very tough evaluation, the defensive scheme and what they ask him to do is not normal LB play. It’s a little bit of a hybrid of a DE, ILB, and S. Off tackle run, sized up the RB, missed the tackle but did get his shoe. He tries to wrap up the legs, the RB just stepped out of it at the last second. This was mostly better tape and more LB-ish than the USC tape, but he’s still not used as a traditional LB would be, and the reps where he does get used in that manner are really scattered throughout the game. Blitzes up the middle almost half of his snaps, and he plays every snap. It’s challenging to evaluate because he’s always running up to the line, I don’t know what he reads and attacks, or when he’s just following orders and shooting up to blitz. In zone coverage, the few times he actually drops, he seems serviceable. Struggles a good amount with getting off blocks at the second level, has not shown any moves or ability to disengage once they lock on to him. At his best when running around blocks. Still think he has above average athleticism and quickness for the position.

Georgia (2018): Playing LB in base nickel defense, lines up all over the place, mostly inside. Driven well out of the play by the OC on an inside run. Biltz, looping around the right end on 3rd down, RT picked him up. Blitz off left edge, LT handled him easily, QB started to scramble, Johnson fell off the block underneath and tackled him for short gain. Announcers talking about how Johnson is a former state champion sprinter, so that explains and confirms the plus athleticism and quickness. Blitz around the left side on 3rd down, LG picked him up. Charged inside on 3rd and short, got power slammed by the RG. The entire first half, and I mean the entire first half, Johnson was absolutely dominated by the OC and the OGs. They took turns driving him off the ball, wall him out of plays and leaning on him, and generally just shutting him down completely. Johnson has no answer for when a blocker gets on him, and so far, he’s not running around or dodging their blocks either. I hope the second half is better. Well, first play, the OC dominated him again. Solid read and react on off tackle run, helped gang tackle the RB with his teammates. Nice job coming up from zone drop when QB started to scramble and tackled him just short of the sticks to force a punt. He kind of zips all over the field at times, not a bad player in space at all. Blitz up A gap, OC too slow to get over, easy sack on QB. This was tough tape because he was pretty glued to an O-lineman the majority of the game. Played a lot more traditional LB in this game, but he just really struggled with the bigger, physical offense and power running football.

TLDR:
    Definitely much more of a finesse space player. I think he’s mostly a straight line speed guy at this point that can hit and tackle. The position he played was part LB, part DE, and part box safety. He has some developmental skills, but probably needs some time to actually learn how to play LB and disengage from OGs. Looks to have the athleticism, effort, and toughness to shine as a special teams guy though. Did not see him lined up the kickoff teams for Texas however.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

the PHILADELPHIA EAGLES sign:

DE DARRYL JOHNSON, NORTH CAROLINA AT&T

Darryl Johnson is #224 on my Top 300 Big Board.

No tapework on North Carolina AT&T. Has the size, length, and athleticism you look for at the DE position. Invite to the Combine would suggest at least a few teams are very interested in him. Has a chance to go much higher than even my early 7th round listing. He won defensive player of the year for the MEAC conference, and the last two guys to win that award (Javon Hargrave and Darius Leonard) both went on Day 2. This was going to be my guy in UDFA, but Requiem stymied my plans. Bastard.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

the CINCINNATI BENGALS sign:

DE JAMELL GARCIA-WILLIAMS, UAB

Jamell Garcia-Williams is #223 on my Top 300 Big Board.

DE JAMELL GARCIA-WILLIAMS UAB

Charlotte (2018): Playing DE. Starting off in a 5 technique position, he’s really tall and lean. Now he’s at LDE in a 43 defense, uses a rip move to disengage from blockers. Not a fluid runner, looks tentative like he’s walking a tight rope, that’s kind of weird. Solid back side pursuit to stuff a sweep to the other side, RB was really slow and danced, JGW just kind of jogged over and tackled him. Had him jam and in man coverage on the TE from inline, peeled off to help tackle inside run. Still getting a gauge on his athleticism, he doesn’t play full speed, very measured. They are moving him around a lot, he plays inside at 5 tech in 34 looks, basically as a non-pass rushing DT on shorter downs, usually gets put out at DE on passing downs. He looks ok, not awful, got good, just ok. Able to step over a cut block attempt by LT Davis for a QB pressure. His athleticism is very average, he’s not quick or is he fast. His effort is mostly ok, but he doesn’t play with his hair on fire, or even close to it. Generally tries to rely on his strength to just shove linemen off most of the time, and that doesn’t really work too often. You have to like his size and length, even though he needs to put on more weight, he’s a bean pole. So far, from this initial tape, he might be best to try and fatten up and play as a 5 tech, seems to be a little better and more comfortable playing inside. The flipside to that is his best plays on this tape are when he’s in press man coverage on the TE, he’s great with the initial jam and shows the ability to turn and run with the TE. I’m not sure how good this TE actually is, he’s probably a total scrub, but it’s still fairly impressive. Has the ability to bend the arc, beat Davis on a redirect arc rush where they kind of locked up and then he just kind of changed course and went right around him for a QB hit. You watch that, along with the TE coverage, and you think he could stick on the edge. Solid job working through and around the LT and then slicing back inside when the RB came over to help on the outside rush, able to pressure the QB into scrambling. The guy is a moldable piece of clay, starting to like him more on the edge, has some legit pass rushing talent, though extremely raw. Perfect contain, stack and shed on TE, strung out the run and stuffed it for a loss. So, I’m coming away from this initial tape with the opinion that he’s a draftable talent, could potentially play in any defense, and could be developed at multiple spots. Will see where I end up by the end of tape three.

Texas AM (2018): Playing DE, DT, and OLB. Still can’t get over the fact that he runs weird for a slender guy with long legs, almost prances. Playing RDE here in a 43 defense. Does a decent job using his hands and trying to shove the OTs arms down. He still primarily goes to some form of bull rush where he just tries to power through the outside shoulder of the OT, but at least he has a plan to get the hands down. He is getting some push on the RT with the bull rush. Lining up a lot in this game in the two point stance at both DE positions. Nice move side stepping lunge block by DE and tackling the RB at the line with his back side pursuit. That was a flash of athleticism and play making ability. Lined up extra wide at DE, showed a decent burst off the snap, which I haven’t seen before, and beat the LT around the arc for a QB pressure, mostly just a straight line speed rush, but that looked solid. Lined him up inside at LDT and he got smashed by the RG and driven out of the play on short 10 yard TD run. He’s just too tall and skinny for that, OG got under him and rode him out of the way easily. Toughness looks good, he’ll take on pulling OGs and hbacks with wham blocks on the edge, usually dives down and just clogs it all up, but willing to take the contact. Nice pass rush on LT, worked him toward the arc and then just shifted inside for a QB hit, was a second away from a sack. He already looks much better as a pass rusher than he did against Charlotte, definitely has improved during the season. Nice bull rush on the RT on short yardage running play, fell off inside with a chance to stuff the RB and force a punt, but unable to make the tackle. Sliced inside on a stunt, nice inside swim to beat the LG for a sack, QB tried to move up in the pocket and slipped, so kind of a gimmie sack, but he might have gotten him anyway. Same stunt inside on the next play and just ran right past the LG this time up the A gap, QB able to scramble away, but JGW showed good change of direction ability to slam on the break and pivot after him. He’s not quick at all, but he’s a solid athlete and has some speed to him, above average probably, but with his size and length, that’s intriguing. Flashes the slightest ability to dip and bend the arc, I feel like you can develop this guy into a legit edge rusher. Starting to really like him as a 43 rush end. Unable to blow through TE Sternberger at the goal line on short TD plunge. Doesn’t have bull rush power. Stack and shed on RG to stuff a run from 5 tech position. He gets low in his stance when lined up inside, its pretty low for a guy as tall as he is, explodes out with decent leverage, he just needs more functional strength. Stack and rip move to throw down the TE from OLB position to stuff a run. Playing some nice contain against the run, stacking these OTs and OGs up fairly frequently. Nice job slicing underneath the TE and stuffing the run from the rush OLB position. They play him everywhere, and he generally does a solid job. Flawless job on the read option, stuffed the QB trying to keep it outside for a big loss. This guy can play, and it’s clear he can add weight and power, develop some pass rush moves, and has plenty of room to develop further. Thought he aced this test against his best competition.

MTSU (2018); Playing DE. Playing frequently on both sides as a 5 tech early. Bull rush on the RT for a sack from 43 DE, just drove him back into the QB. Has tried that bull rush on the RT several more times, no success on those. Tried to get his hands up to disrupt passing lane on arc rush, one of the only times I’ve seen him do that. Solid job powering through the double team by the TE and RB for a QB pressure. Perfect stack and shed on RT to string out RB and stuff him for a loss. Has been playing contain the vast majority of this game and does a fine job with it, very disciplined, never crashes inside. Has a little bit of a club move he uses on the OT, will stress them on the arc, then slices back inside while clubbing with his inside arm, it’s fairly effective. Beat the RT with that exact move once again for a QB pressure. He needed to use this early in the game, got the early sack off the bull rush and just kind of stuck with that approach until the 4th quarter, then he’s switched to slicing inside with the club move. Also, I haven’t see him use this prior to this game. I think it’s clear that he has learned and improved as the season went on. He’s really only a one year starter. Safe to assume he’s raw and still developing. Not a lot of splash plays in this game, generally just did some dirty work playing contain.

TLDR:
    Overall, very intriguing guy that I think does fit best as a 43 DE, but he needs to add some strength and weight. He’s not quick enough to be a dominant rush end, he does have decent straight line speed and burst off the snap, not so much in open space where he’s an awkward runner. I think his best fit is probably as a power end once he adds some strength and weight. He flashed legitimate shut down play at times against the run while being very disciplined in his contain responsibilities. Still gets overpowered at times by blocks, but knows how to stack and shed. Has a limited array of pass rush moves, definite room for growth and improvement. Needs some time to develop, but has some solid upside. 6'8, 255 lb DEs with 10 sack seasons and NFL bloodlines (Dad played 7 years in NFL) don't grow on trees.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

the WASHINGTON REDSKINS sign:

WR ALEX WESLEY, NORTHERN COLORADO

Alex Wesley is #221 on my Top 300 Big Board.

No tapework on Northern Colorado. Wesley is kind of a straight line explosion speed guy, his agility is in question due to really poor testing. You generally don't want smaller guys that might have to play in the slot struggle with sharp cutting and change of direction. My guess is that he's a field stretching WR, though 4.45 speed is very average for a WR with that type of role, he's not really going to scare anybody. That puts him in a little bit in no-man's land. Still, he's obviously squarely on the NFL's radar with a Senior Bowl and Combine invite, and he tested like an NFL caliber athlete. The odds would be in his favor of a draft selection on Day 3, so early 7th was the area I felt I might take a flier on him.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Originally posted by ludo21 View Post

I lucked out on Bailey for sure. I really wanted the other kicker Tracey and just went contingent with Bailey, in the end i got the player the cardinals do actually need some competition at and it might work out well for me points wise as well ;d
    I think you did a great job nabbing him. I had a small bid on him, 4300, but figured it was just burning money so deleted it at the last second and moved it to Ty Johnson instead. And of course...I get outbid on Johnson by Bowlen in his annual tradition of screwing me, and I would have won Bailey if I left it alone. So bitter about that.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

the NEW ORLEANS SAINTS sign:

RB KERRITH WHYTE, FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Kerrith Whyte is #220 on my Top 300 Big Board.

RB KERRITH WHYTE FLORIDA ATLANTIC

UCF (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Reserve RB, doesn’t get a lot of snaps. Shows decent straight line speed, instincts questionable, just kind of runs forward. Good enough speed to get outside and turn the corner for 10 yards, showed a little bit of balance breaking through an arm tackle attempt and staying on his feet. Caught a swing pass out of the backfield for a 20 yard TD. He almost dropped the ball on the catch, kind of pinned it against his helmet, but then flashed good speed and broke a couple arm tackles on his way to the end zone. Shows good burst to the hole and actually has a second gear when he gets a lane, runs with a little bit of power but is too upright. Shows plus cutting ability, can slice away from oncoming tacklers, combined with his speed, he can be a tough guy to get an angle on. Tried to hit him on an outlet pass but was batted at the line and picked off. Off tackle run he bounced out at the end of the game against scrubs, able to power through one pathetic tackle attempt, stiff armed another guy, and then just outraced the defense to the end zone for the 40 yard TD. The speed was nice, the stiff arm was solid, the rest was UCF scrubs lacking athleticism and fundamental tackling skills. Whyte is definitely interesting, he has some speed and explosion that pops off the tape. Looked good off the edge and in space, not so good running up the middle.

Western Kentucky (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. 10 yard TD on inside draw, actually showed a little shake and bake on that run before dashing through the line to the end zone. Has legit stop start ability and can make some quick cuts. RB sweep for 15 yards, good speed, subtle wiggle, finished the run hard. Off tackle run for 5 yards, doesn’t really cut 90 degrees all that well, kind of has to slow down a little for that sharp of a cut. Off tackle run for 10 yards, legit explosion through the hole, it really pops out. Playing against scrubs helps, but he’s obviously very fast and quick. Solid job in pass pro picking up the LB coming around the edge. Inside draw for 10 yards, man he runs really high and upright, going to get jacked up in the NFL, but able to truck the safety with his chest on this run. Nice heads up play late, bounced off a couple would be tacklers and then bounced the run outside, instead of getting tackled out of bounds, he slid down to run clock. Only a few minutes left and FAU is up by twelve. The fact he was running lower and protecting the ball, which also allowed him to bounce off the tacklers was nice to see. 70 yard TD run on off tackle run with one sharp cut through an open hole, good speed but was untouched the entire play. That iced the game and secured the win. He’s pretty electric. Singletary is fun to watch, but he’s not as explosive as Whyte. FAU had one hell of a 1-2 punch at RB, Whyte probably should have stayed and been the lead dog next year, would have put up crazy numbers barring injury.

North Texas (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Off tackle run, bounced it outside, stiff arm on one would be tackler, made a stop start move, a couple little cuts, eventually just raced up the sideline for the 50 yard TD. The guy is an absolute home run hitter in a draft without a lot of them. I think he’s going earlier than people think. Off tackle run for 10 yards, sharp cut and hard running, does a consistent job of breaking arm tackles in every game. 30 yard TD on draw up the middle, literally ran right through the LB and the safety on that play. This is a smaller RB, but he runs pretty physical, does not go down on first contact very often. Ran a trick play where they tried to hit Whyte on a deep Go route down the seam, he was wide open, but the ball was thrown nowhere near him. Would have loved to have seen if he could have brought that deep ball in. DB blitzed up the A gap, Whyte stepped up to pick him up, DB with a swim move right past him and put major pressure on the QB. Has some jitterbug qualities to him, inside run that he bounced outside, shows a lot of wiggle and slashing as he gets upfield. He’s not quite as physical as Singletary, but a lot of this is what Singletary would look like with NFL athleticism. Had about ten inside draws or counters where he got next to nothing. He’s just not an inside runner, needs to play in space. He runs hard, but he lacks the size to bang it between the tackles.

TLDR:
    Overall, Whyte is a home run hitter that excels on outside runs and anything where he has space to utilize his wiggle, stop start ability, and sharp cutting ability. Struggles between the tackles unless the blocking is good, if there is a crease, he’s probably gone. Can make yardage on his own on outside runs, very difficult to get an angle on due to his speed and agility. Solid toughness for a smaller RB. Did not get to see him in the passing game that much, he’s marginal at pass pro. Brings a lot of added value as a dangerous kick returner as well.

Leave a comment:

• ludo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

the ARIZONA CARDINALS sign:

P JAKE BAILEY, STANFORD

Jake Bailey is #213 on my Top 300 Big Board.

Jake Bailey is my top rated Punter, and on average, the top Punter goes in the 6th Round. Thus, he's placed late in the 6th. Bailey is my top rated punter because he averaged 44.1 yards per punt this year after averaging 45.4 the previous season. On top of being one the better punters in college for multiple seasons, what really pushed him over the top for me was that he had an 83% Touchback rate on kickoffs for the 2018 season on 72 kicks. That's better than a lot of actual kickers, and most punters can't do kickoffs. The cherry on top is that Bailey is an excellent athlete and can actually be useful on his own kick coverages. I didn't bid on him because I thought he would go for a very high price. Shame on all of us.
    I lucked out on Bailey for sure. I really wanted the other kicker Tracey and just went contingent with Bailey, in the end i got the player the cardinals do actually need some competition at and it might work out well for me points wise as well ;d

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

the PITTSBURGH STEELERS sign:

RB TY JOHNSON, MARYLAND

Ty Johnson is #219 on my Top 300 Big Board.

RB TY JOHNSON MARYLAND

Ohio State (2017): Playing shotgun only scheme. Flea flicker, got blown up in pass pro after he tossed it back, had good technique, the safety just overpowered him. Will line him up in the slot, looks decent running limited route tree. Looks pretty fast, hits the hole quickly, has a type of smoothness and glide to him. Vision and patience could be better, tends to run up the back of his linemen. Shows good pad level, forward lean, and some power as he trucked the LB to convert a 3rd down. Playing about half the snaps, splits time with another RB. Big loss trying to bounce an inside run outside. They keep pounding him inside on traps and draws which is not working. He’s a slashing type runner, but most of the time there is no daylight. Dude just glides when he gets in the open field, has long strides and is pretty fast, had a nice inside run he was able to cut outside and get up the sideline for a chunk gain. Mostly just good blocking and his speed. Ran over by the safety in pass pro again, he gives good effort and uses technique, he just has the stoutness of a blade of grass. Mostly just ran into a brick wall up the middle all game, when he tried to bounce it outside, he got stuffed and then benched it seemed like. All starters sat out the 4th quarter in this blow out. He probably played 40% of the snaps. Flashed at times, but the OSU defense just destroyed the Maryland OL and there wasn’t much room to run. Not targeted in the receiving game despite being split out wide and used in the slot. That was disappointing.

Texas (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Somewhat thick lower body. Outlet pass for minimal gain. Nice job in pass pro, attacked the rusher and cut his legs. Another short outlet pass, pushed immediately out of bounds. Tried to hit him on a wheel route, allowed himself to be pinched to the sideline too much. Maryland using about five different RBs in this game, Johnson has been sprinkled in sparingly. Swing pass for a nice gain, showed off a couple jump cuts, speed looks ok. Getting stuffed on runs up the middle, just kind of hammering it in there, not trying to make people miss. Looks like a legit weapon on kick returns. Big gain on a screen, best when slamming his foot in the ground and immediately cutting up field. Has some initial burst. Continues to run poorly, the OL isn’t helping him, but he runs a little robotic, charging to the hole and seeking contact. I feel like that’s not how he should be used, I want him slashing and in space. Serviceable in pass pro, does tend to lunge with the shoulder and duck his head too much, though it hasn’t bit him in this game. Nice offtackle run where he made his one cut and then ran over the safety. He does run with some power, but it limits his ability to make people miss. Stuffed on a goal line try. Used him to grind down the clock late with short runs up the middle. Interesting guy, can’t tell if he has RB instincts yet, but he has some traits you look for.

Minnesota (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Lots of RPOs and misdirection in this offense. Defense stays fairly spread out. 80 yard TD run on an off tackle play where he ran through a nice hole and made a sharp cut outside, the safety completely misjudged his speed and whiffed on the cut, and he just put on the burners for a TD. He looks pretty fast, maybe 4.45 to 4.5 flat. Returns kicks, good straight line speed and burst, makes sharp cuts in small areas to make people take bad angles. Nice vision on a sharp cutback out around the LT, play was going right originally. His cuts are sharp and sudden, they give defenders problems when combined with his speed. He runs hard and plows into people, but not really moving them too much. Still think he’d be better served to try and slash to daylight and make them miss. Seems to have some trouble cutting upfield when running a sweep, might only be able to cut in limited degrees. Getting some key first downs on short yardage runs. They use him as a power back to a degree, but when he gets in space he’s electric. Sweep where he was able to reach the edge and turn upfield for a nice gain, has the speed to run anything. Decent stiff arm. Not used in the receiving game here.

TLDR:
    I think he’s criminally underutilized. This might be an Alvin Kamara type situation. Has more power than you’d think, but less wiggle than you’d hope. Has the speed and cutting ability you want. Not targeted in the receiving game despite being split out wide and used in the slot. That was disappointing. Looks like a legit weapon on kick returns. Serviceable in pass pro. His cuts are sharp and sudden, they give defenders problems when combined with his speed. He runs hard and plows into people, but not really moving them too much. Still think he’d be better served to try and slash to daylight and make them miss.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

the GREEN BAY PACKERS sign:

CB JAMAL PETERS, MISSISSIPPI STATE

Jamal Peters is #215 on my Top 300 Big Board.

CB JAMAL PETERS MISSISSIPPI STATE

Alabama (2018): Playing RCB. Mostly playing zone and off man coverage, but Alabama just keeps pounding the rock up the middle. Blitz off the edge of the line, RB picked him up fairly easily. Press man, come back route for 15 yards, not bad coverage by Peters, and he showed decent ability to change directions and follow the WR. Press man, Go route up sideline, QB was staring in that direction and eventually just threw the ball away. Solid coverage by Peters. Press man, WR smoked him by giving him a little wiggle and then going into an inside slant, had about five steps running across middle of the field, QB decided to scramble on the play. Quick pass to WR in flat, Peters came up to make the tackle and got juked out of his jock. Off tackle run, Peters able to come up and tackle the RB for no gain. Off tackle run, Peters was already up close to the line in zone coverage, able to roll off the TE’s block and wrap up the RB for minimal gain. Off tackle run, big hit by Peters on the RB, kind of ran over a little bit but had slowed the RB enough with the big hit that his teammates could clean up the tackle. Really liking Peters in the run game up in the box, he makes a difference. Off tackle run, another solo wrap up tackle by Peters. Overall, Peters wasn’t terrible in coverage, though he clearly doesn’t possess the quickness and twitch ability to handle the speedier guys 1v1, which he was asked to do at times. Was excellent up in the box against the run, I already like the idea of him as a safety or big nickel. Just need to see him get tested more in coverage and get a better feel for any further limitations or strengths he might have. Initial tape leaves me intrigued.

Arkansas (2018); Playing RCB. Toss sweep, came up and made tackle on RB for short gain. Blitz off edge, upended by the FB. Clean up tackle on RB after 10 yard gain. Got stiff armed by the RB at the end of that play, took some exception to it and got called for an Unsportsmanlike penalty for giving a player a shove. Got benched for the rest of that drive, but back out there on the next one. Peters’ man went in motion, he rotated to safety, safety rotated down on other side. Press man, Go route, solid coverage, QB checked down instead. Zone coverage, ran back with the slot WR on Go route, QB with a huge moon ball, Peters went to body catch the INT and WR able to break it up. Would have liked have seen Peters high point it with a hands catch. Going to assume his hands are suspect. Blitz from slot, inside draw, kind of throttled down to change direction and helped tackle RB for no gain. Toss sweep, Peters came up to destroy the RB and got hurdled for his efforts. Wish that hit would have landed, RB would have gone splat. Quick pass in flat to TE, Peters came up from zone to wrestle him down after short gain. Zone, come back route, shoved WR out of bounds after 10 yard gain. Off tackle run, Peters came up from zone to make the tackle for short gain. This game got out of hand fairly quick with the MSU DL just wreaking havoc play after play. Peters did cycle out at times for another CB, but probably played 80% of the snaps while the game was competitive. Out of those snaps, almost all were in zone coverage. Was excellent in this game against the run again, and did a nice job cleaning up tackles at times. Had the one big miss, but that was mostly a nice play by the RB. Didn’t see anything on this tape to change my mind that Peters might be a better option as a safety than a CB.

Mississippi (2018): Playing RCB. Zone coverage, intermediate slant by WR Brown, Peters charged over and made tackle after 15 yard gain. Press man, Go route, solid coverage, pinching WR to the sideline. This has repeated several times now. Press man, whiffed with his one handed jam, WR free release up sideline and had a step but QB went elsewhere. Press man, landed his one handed jam, jolted the WR who struggled to get off the line, ball went elsewhere. Swing pass to RB in the flat, Peters able to get off WR block and shove him out of bounds after a 10 yard gain. Stacked up four WRs, bubbled screen, Peters just ran right around them and tackled the WR with the ball for minimal gain. Press man, Go route, nice coverage and perfect positioning by Peters, turned and saw the ball, jumped up to high point it for the INT, and…the ball went right through his hands and out of bounds. Earlier concerns are confirmed, his hands suck. That was a gimmie, and he didn’t even come close. Peters getting cycled out at times for another CB. Off tackle run, Peters not able to get to the hole in time from his zone position, but gave good effort. Blitz from CB, inside run, Peters able to blast into the RB and tackle him for minimal gain. Zone coverage, got a little lazy in the blowout, cheated up on underneath route and QB hit the WR right behind him, Peters ran back and promptly missed the tackle on the WR who powered his way in for a 50 yard TD. Everything about that rep for Peters screamed lazy. Prior to that, this was largely solid tape. He can play outside CB, especially against the bigger bodied WR like Mississippi has. He’s going to struggle badly against the small, fast, and quick guys, but didn’t deal with any of them here. Continues to be a good tackler and is a net positive in the run game.

TLDR:
    I think his future is as a safety or big nickel type specialty player. The concern is his long speed, but that can be hidden to a large degree in a zone based defense. A lot depends on his Combine measurables. If he times well, you’re talking about a starting CB or S, if he does not, he’s likely ticketing for a sub package specialty role. Can’t rule out a LB role either like the league has been infatuated with lately, they like former DBs that can play in coverage situations. Regardless, every team probably has a role Peters could fill.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

K AUSTIN SEIBERT, OKLAHOMA

Austin Seibert is #214 on my Top 300 Big Board.

Austin Seibert is my top rated Kicker, and on average, the top Kicker goes in the 6th Round. Thus, he's placed late in the 6th. Seibert is my top rated kicker because he has been over 80% on his field goals the last two seasons (81% in 2017, 90% in 2018). He has been automatic on extra points with a massive amount of attempts (168 out of 169 over the last two seasons, so 99.9% success rate). He had an 83.5% Touchback rate on 109 kickoffs. And he can serve as an emergency punter having been incredibly consistent for four seasons averaging around 42 Yards Per Punt on roughly 200 punt attempts. So, accuracy is solid and offers a lot of versatility.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

the ARIZONA CARDINALS sign:

P JAKE BAILEY, STANFORD

Jake Bailey is #213 on my Top 300 Big Board.

Jake Bailey is my top rated Punter, and on average, the top Punter goes in the 6th Round. Thus, he's placed late in the 6th. Bailey is my top rated punter because he averaged 44.1 yards per punt this year after averaging 45.4 the previous season. On top of being one the better punters in college for multiple seasons, what really pushed him over the top for me was that he had an 83% Touchback rate on kickoffs for the 2018 season on 72 kicks. That's better than a lot of actual kickers, and most punters can't do kickoffs. The cherry on top is that Bailey is an excellent athlete and can actually be useful on his own kick coverages. I didn't bid on him because I thought he would go for a very high price. Shame on all of us.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied

QB TAYLOR CORNELIUS, OKLAHOMA STATE

Taylor Cornelius is #212 on my Top 300 Big Board.

QB TAYLOR CORNELIUS OKLAHOMA STATE

Kansas State (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Well, this looks like Mason Rudolph. Big guy, big arm, chunking it up the field. Accuracy ok, has missed high and long a few times. Had a TD on a Go route, overthrew it, ball was in the air about sixty yards. Has a little bit of a natural windup due to his length, it’s fine, but you’d like to see the ball come out quicker on the shorter stuff. Lumbering guy when he scrambles, long strides though, when he gets going and in the open field, he covers some ground. Takes him a bit to get going, not quick at all. Decent throw on Go route, WR bobbled the ball into the CB’s arms for a gift INT. Could have been a tad more outside, but it should have been caught for the TD. Same play, this time the WR jumped and caught it. Decent gain on RPO where he kept it and got outside. Has been surprisingly effective on the ground this game. This guy can really throw it a long way, just kind of flicks his wrist and it goes fifty yards. Almost picked on intermediate out route. For a big arm, he doesn’t really throw it that hard on the short and intermediate stuff. He also likes to throw it off his back foot way too much. Has some technique work to clean up for sure. Another RPO keeper for a chunk gain, dude is a runaway bull in the open field. I don’t feel like this should be happening just watching him run. Not very elusive within the pocket. Accuracy takes a hit, but he has a rocket even when throwing on the run. RPO for a short TD where he kept it and ran to the pylon. This lumbering doofus is the greatest running QB ever. WRs not helping him, dropping a lot of well thrown passes. He’s trying to rifle some balls now, rocket arm for sure, but he’s sailing them. Trying to force the ball down the field late, just had the DB float back in zone and make a nice jumping INT on a deep out route. Interesting guy, has the NFL prototype arm and size. I guess he’s a solid athlete for that size, he looks like a pocket sloth unless it’s a designed run, then he’s fairly effective.

Texas (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Frozen rope on deep slant route for a forty yard TD. Really nice throw because he threw it before the deep break and it looked like it was going straight to the safety. NFL arm all day long. Accuracy has mostly been solid, he’s getting it within reach of the WRs, but a few times they’ve had to contort or slide to make a catch that should have hit them in stride. Playaction pass on 4th and 1 to hit the wide open TE for a short TD. Nice touch on a fade pass in corner of end zone, WR didn’t get there. He’s a sloth in the pocket, has no agility and is slow to react. Runs okay in a straight line once he builds up speed. He’s money on these deep slants over the middle. QB draw up the middle down to the one, punched it in with a keeper on the next play. Superb on out routes and throws outside the numbers, most QBs only dream of throwing bullets like these on the sideline. Straight up jump ball for a TD shortly before half that his WR just won on. Guess he gets credit for lofting it to the right spot. Has done a solid job hitting his hot reads under pressure. He’s whipping the ball around pretty good on the short and intermediate stuff. Almost threw an INT on a seam route bomb, about 60 yards on a line, pretty accurate, just good coverage. Came back and hit that exact play and throw for a huge gain on the next drive. This Wallace guy is a pretty good WR. I guess this guy running on RPOs is real, he’s a beast in the open field on these things, almost scored a twenty yard TD, down to the one. Looks completely different on designed runs in terms of athleticism than when he’s in the pocket trying to pass where he looks stone footed. And…he wins the game with a 15 yard RPO run for a TD, breaking tackles and diving for the pylon. I continue to feel like this shouldn’t keep happening. And….he ices the game with a ten yard RPO scramble on 3rd down. I’m speechless at this point. Greatest running QB ever or greatest running QB ever? That’s twice now, so he has the athleticism, the arm, the size, and the accuracy is just good enough. Only thing he lacks is experience. I’m not sure how Rudolph kept him on the bench.

West Virginia (2018): Playing shotgun only scheme. Excellent ten yard fade route for a TD, perfect touch and placement. Looking good on RPOs, pulls it back and fires it in quickly and accurately. Ten yard playaction pass to TE up the seam for an easy TD, the TE did all the work rumbling through the tackle attempt. Doing a nice job going through multiple reads, not taking gambles early in this game. Arm strength is solid, does nice work outside the numbers. Nice play by the safety jumping a crossing route for the INT, just made a great break on the route and beat the WR to the ball. Cornelius under some pressure on the throw. Showing good mobility avoiding the rush, has been accurate on the run as well. Tough guy to tackle, takes a few people. Designed runs, showing some agility, spin move. Ugly pick trying to push it up the field in the two minute drill before half, not sure what he was doing, threw it right to the CB on the sideline. Two yard TD pass to RB on playaction, was wide open. Continues to scramble and run for chunk gains. He looks genuinely elusive both in the pocket and outside, this is his best game in terms of avoiding the rush. I think it’s time to take him seriously as a running threat. Almost threw another INT on a deep out route, he’s having some trouble reading the safety in this game. Really strong arm, can chunk it deep effortlessly, though he underthrew a Go route that was almost caught up the sideline. Not a lot of deep shots in this game, lots of short and intermediate dink and dunk RPO stuff so far. Amazing deep sideline throw on a scramble play, just put the ball on the money for a big gain. Second flawless fade for a TD in this game, this time to the other side of the field. Incredible touch on those two fade TDs, usually throws rockets the rest of the time. Insane throw on another scramble drill where he squared up and fired it down field while taking a hit, should have been a long TD but the WR dropped it going to the ground. Has looked like money all game when forced from the pocket. Incredibly impressed with this tape. 10 yard RPO keeper for a TD late where he just plowed through two tackle attempts. Nice decision beaching the ball in the two minute drill in the 4th instead of forcing it to the seemingly open WR on the sideline, the safety would have picked it again. Nice to see him learn and make adjustments mid game. Easy ten yard TD to win the game on a curl route, CB played off, WR muscled his way in for the score.

TLDR:
    Arm strength is solid, does nice work outside the numbers. He looks genuinely elusive both in the pocket and outside, this is his best game in terms of avoiding the rush. I think it’s time to take him seriously as a running threat. Has the athleticism, the arm, the size, and the accuracy is just good enough. Only thing he lacks is experience. I’m not sure how Rudolph kept him on the bench. One year starter is going to hurt him some, scheme doesn’t help either, but athletically and size-wise, he’s close to a prototype.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X