No announcement yet.

Official 2019 Orange Mane Mock Draft DISCUSSION Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had Edwards in my "promising prospects" pile, but was very leery of taking any defensive backs without a 40 time on record... I like everything else about him, though!

Comment

• Broncos are now OSU West.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	2xh7gr.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2445193

Comment

• Originally posted by PRBronco View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQYPIZ6Hg1U6mP-uq483YfupPQxMu-UZmYDzdOnVxr1-3bHoF3u.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	2445196

Comment

• Originally posted by 24champ View Post

Name:	images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQYPIZ6Hg1U6mP-uq483YfupPQxMu-UZmYDzdOnVxr1-3bHoF3u.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	2445196
            Ok, done!

Comment

• Waited until he was BPA, but really like this kid. Reminds me of Davante Adams who I drafted several years ago. Tape is scarily similar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mediator12 View Post

Ok, done!
                Buffalo WR eh? I assume MUG will have some takes on this guy, given how much he's watched Tyree Jackson.

Comment

• Dammit Med, that’s a sneaky good selection. Johnson has great hands and should be a great #2 or #3 guy. Has NFL genes from his family.

He’s not flashy and going to blow anyone away but I think his eyes on ball coordination (ball tracking) is elite and his football IQ is pretty good.

Johnson is a true sleeper in this draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                    Broncos are now OSU West.
                    I really hate Ohio State.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRBronco View Post

That's awesome!

Comment

• Man, I wish we could trade UDFA money in order to move up for a pick. All I have left is my 6th so I have no ammo to move up.

I realize it would be an administrative nightmare for BowlenBall, tho.

Comment

• With the 158th overall selection in the 2019 Orange Mane NFL Mock Draft,

the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS select:

WR ANTHONY JOHNSON, BUFFALO

Anthony Johnson is #155 on my Top 300 Big Board

WR ANTHONY JOHNSON BUFFALO

Minnesota (2017): Playing outside WR, occasional slot. Going back to 2017 just because this game and 2018 Rutgers were his only games against Power 5 competition. RWR, off man coverage, Go route, 50/50 ball, CB with good inside position, ball perfectly thrown to outside and actually went right through Johnson’s hands. Should have been a long completion. Motion, quick screen, swarmed for a loss on the play. LWR, zone, quick out route, 5 yard gain. LWR, off man, out route, 10 yard gain. Johnson with fairly sharp routes, doesn’t snap into breaks as much as you’d like though. Not really setting up the CB with dekes or head fakes or anything either. Hope he shows more nuance in 2018. LWR, off man, Go route, massive 60 yard bomb in the air, flawless over the shoulder catch where he caught the ball in his finger tips. That’s what you want to see out of a field stretching WR. LWR, press man, corner fade, just beat the CB with speed into the end zone for the 20 yard reception. Ball a little low on trajectory but CB never looked back to try and swat it. Slot, zone, inside slant, 15 yard gain. LWR, off man, 10 yard gain on comeback route. His patterns are fine, I just want them to be more crisp. I feel like a good CB could read his route and jump it. LWR, zone, comeback route, 15 yard gain. Nice hands catch on the sideline. Press man, Go route, CB with good inside position and able to break up the pass. A little worried about Johnson’s speed, for the most part, he hasn’t been able to separate deep against these CBs. RWR, press man, Go route, ball thrown low to the inside of CB, Johnson with a nice adjustment, clear look at the ball and had it go through his hands. Slot, zone, inside slant, nice hands catch for 5 yards. LWR, drag route, Jackson threw a missile due to pressure, Johnson wasn’t ready for that thing, not his fault on that miss, couldn’t even get his hands up fast enough to try. Tape was hit or miss. I loved the deep over the shoulder catch, that was flawless and worth the watch just to know he can do that. Makes good adjustments on his routes, always gets his hands on the ball, but doesn’t always bring it in. Mostly dependable, but needs to show better hands in 2018. Sharper routes would be a plus as well.

Rutgers (2018): Playing outside WR. LWR, press man, inside slant, ball clanked off his hands right to the CB in coverage for the INT. LWR, press man, no jam, clean outside release, just smoked the CB on the Go route for a 50 yard TD. Great over the shoulder catch again. He’s definitely much better catching long bombs than when facing the QB and catching with his hands up. Slot, press man, inside slant, a little trouble with the jam and then didn’t get his hands up fast enough for Jackson’s heater, pass incomplete. LWR, off man, deep crossing route on a scramble drill for 60 yards, nice hands catch on the play, high pointed the ball. And that was it, he suffered a hamstring injury on the play that kept him out of the next few games. Going to be lazy and say I got enough out of this tape, it generally looked very similar to 2017, great at catching over the shoulder balls, less great at catching balls with his hands up high, but that final catch in this game was excellent. Just looks like a guy you’re going to have to deal with some drops with. Could turn off some teams.

Miami(Ohio) (2018): Playing outside WR and some slot. Slot, zone coverage, Johnson made the safety almost fall over with an inside deke before cutting into a corner route. That looked good. Scramble drill so Johnson almost immediately cut off the Corner and went on a Go instead. Tyree hit him in stride with a 60 yard missile and Johnson trotted in the rest of the way for an 80 yard TD. Once again, looks smooth and natural catching the ball over his shoulder. If I’m drafting him, he’s running a lot of deep routes, I hope his speed checks out. It did on that play. Loved that he showed a little route running finesse on the play. RWR, zone coverage, DBs blew the assignment and Johnson had an easy 40 yard gain on the play. LWR, press man, dig route, scramble drill, Johnson reversed course and ran to the sideline for 5 yard gain. Reverse pass with Johnson, launched a perfect 40 yard spiral to the end zone that the WR couldn’t make the adjustment to. That’s a wrinkle an NFL team can use, dude has an arm on him. RWR, press bail, deked inside, CB bit, corner route to the pylon for an easy 20 yard TD. Caught pass with hands high looking at QB. LWR, off man, stop route, 10 yard gain. LWR, press man, scramble drill into crossing route in back of end zone, CB able to jump the route and make the INT. More of a bad decision by the QB than anything Johnson did, could have shielded the CB with his body more though. That’s a nuance he never really uses. PI wiped out the INT. RWR, press man, some wiggle at the line and got a free inside release, ran a Go route up the seam, made a nice basket catch with the CB draped all over him, 50 yard gain. LWR, press man, Go route, QB threw a 50/50 ball and Jackson cut back under the CB, slowed down slightly, and caught the jump ball over his shoulder. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a WR choose to jump and catch a 50/50 ball over the shoulder. He could have easily turned and high pointed it, probably should have, but I think it’s really clear where his comfort zone is when catching passes. LWR, press man, Jackson powered through the jam, then used a swim move to slice back across the CB into a corner route for a 10 yard TD. Nice route and technique. He has learned to set up the DBs at least a little bit this season. Still a lot more refinement to go though, I don’t think Johnson is plug and play at all. Flashed some decent speed outrunning the safety and CB on a deep post route that was overthrown, had several steps and was still pulling away. I don’t think he has great speed, probably not even good speed, but at least average to above for an NFL caliber WR. And at his size, that’s pretty good. LWR, zone, quick out route, made a nice jump cut to make the first tackler miss, got a little YAC for a 10 yard gain.

TLDR:
                          Overall, he’s a primarily a deep threat, a guy that prefers to catch the ball over his shoulder at full speed. When he’s running inside routes or facing the QB, his hands are hit or miss, though mostly hit. He will drop some balls though. Not overly physical or elusive, doesn’t use his body to wall off DBs, still learning how to run routes and set up CBs on double moves. Speed is fine. Needs some development time, but a good prospect. If the question was ever about who made who, Tyree Jackson made Anthony Johnson, but they complement each other perfectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
                            Man, I wish we could trade UDFA money in order to move up for a pick. All I have left is my 6th so I have no ammo to move up.

I realize it would be an administrative nightmare for BowlenBall, tho.
                            Shut it. You do not need more picks. The less you select in front of me, the better.

Comment

• So much for a fast start on Monday....

Comment

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz

Comment

Working...
                                X