No announcement yet.

Around The NFL:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PITTSBURGH -- The Cincinnati Bengals have deactivated receiver Chad Ocho Cinco for Thursday night's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers for violation of a team rule. The Bengals would not elaborate further on why Ocho Cinco was deactivated. The team said there will be no comment until after the game. The Steelers (7-3) will host the Bengals (1-8-1) at 8:15 p.m. ET at Heinz Field.

Comment

• TURNER NOT IN TROUBLE

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 2:20 p.m. EST

Less than two years after the San Diego Chargers jettisoned the man who had taken the team to a 14-2 record, the organization says that his successor won’t be suffering a similar fate.

Yet.

Or, maybe, ever.

G.M. A.J. Smith made it clear on Wednesday that coach Norv Turner isn’t in trouble.

“He’s coming back,” Smith said.

Team president Dean Spanos agrees. “I’m committed to [Turner],” Spanos said. “I believe in him. It’s ridiculous to think he’s not going to be back.”

Yeah, almost as ridiculous as it would have been to predict Marty Schottenheimer’s ouster in February, after all the then-hot candidates had been spoken for.

“I think it’s foolish,” Smith said regarding the suggestion of a possible coaching change. (Yeah, almost as foolish as . . . hell, you get the picture.) “It’s not even been discussed. There are lots of things we’re going to discuss. But we hired a coach I believe in, someone I can work with. We’re in this for the long haul.”

The key is the “someone I can work with” thing. Schottenheimer and Smith were the NFL equivalent of cobra and mongoose. Eventually, Spanos had to clunk their heads together and tell them to play nice, or else.

When the “or else” finally came, it was Marty who got the pink slip. And Smith hired a guy who was so happy to get another shot at being a head coach that he’ll never try to undermine the boss.

It might be great for achieving in-house harmony. Whether it translates into a Super Bowl appearance remains to be seen. Barring an unexpected turnaround, the answer for Year Two of Norv is “no.”

Comment

• 49ers | Martz fined $20,000
        Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:19:43 -0800
        ESPN.com reports San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz has been fined $20,000 for publicly blaming the game officials for the ending of the team's Week 10 loss.

Comment

• Jets | Favre still undecided on future
          Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:26:10 -0800
          Erik Boland, of Newsday.com, reports New York Jets QB Brett Favre does not know whether he will be back with the Jets next season, instead choosing to keep focused on this week's game against the Tennessee Titans. "I have people - friends, family - who ask me all the time about next year," he said. "The answer I give them, which is the honest answer, is I really don't know. To be totally honest with you, I really don't care. What I care about is trying to beat Tennessee." Favre was asked for a two-year commitment from Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum when he was acquired in the offseason, but Favre would only commit to one season.

Imagine that they should've known he would do this to them

Comment

• Packers | Driver's dad reportedly beaten by Houston police
            Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:58:50 -0800
            The Associated Press reports the family of Green Bay Packers WR Donald Driver claims Driver's father, Marvin Driver Jr., was beaten by police in Houston, causing him to be hospitalized. The family issued a statement saying Driver was stopped for outstanding traffic warrants and was to be taken to jail, but was beaten before getting there. He can communicate through notes and has described "the torture he went through…," according to the family. Houston police issued a statement saying after the arrest, Marvin Driver Jr. was placed in the back of a patrol unit, and when he got to jail he was unresponsive and paramedics were called.

Comment

• http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ot-in-trouble/

Less than two years after the San Diego Chargers jettisoned the man who had taken the team to a 14-2 record, the organization says that his successor won’t be suffering a similar fate.

Yet.

Or, maybe, ever.

G.M. A.J. Smith made it clear on Wednesday that coach Norv Turner isn’t in trouble.

“He’s coming back,” Smith said.

Team president Dean Spanos agrees. “I’m committed to [Turner],” Spanos said. “I believe in him. It’s ridiculous to think he’s not going to be back.”

Yeah, almost as ridiculous as it would have been to predict Marty Schottenheimer’s ouster in February, after all the then-hot candidates had been spoken for.

“I think it’s foolish,” Smith said regarding the suggestion of a possible coaching change. (Yeah, almost as foolish as . . . hell, you get the picture.) “It’s not even been discussed. There are lots of things we’re going to discuss. But we hired a coach I believe in, someone I can work with. We’re in this for the long haul.”

The key is the “someone I can work with” thing. Schottenheimer and Smith were the NFL equivalent of cobra and mongoose. Eventually, Spanos had to clunk their heads together and tell them to play nice, or else.

When the “or else” finally came, it was Marty who got the pink slip. And Smith hired a guy who was so happy to get another shot at being a head coach that he’ll never try to undermine the boss.

It might be great for achieving in-house harmony. Whether it translates into a Super Bowl appearance remains to be seen. Barring an unexpected turnaround, the answer for Year Two of Norv is “no.”

I really, really hope Norv is back. If this team gets a good coach that would be big trouble.

Comment

• Yep....keep Norv around.

Comment

• And Marv.......And Greasy Al

Comment

• FELIX JONES DONE FOR THE YEAR

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 3:19 p.m. EST

With the Dallas Cowboys trying to salvage their playoff run, they’ll have to do it without rookie running back Felix Jones

The team has announced that Jones, a first-round pick in the 2008 draft, is out for the year.

Jones, per the team, injured a big toe while rehabbing a hamstring injury suffered last month against the Cardinals. He has been placed on injured reserve, and he will have surgery to repair a ligament in the toe.

The Cowboys have missed the home-run threat that Jones brought to the offense. He rushed for 266 yards on 30 carries, which equates to an average of 8.9 yards per carry.

Comment

• SOURCE: BROWNS PURSUING COWHER

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 5:00 p.m.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Browns have approached former Steelers coach Bill Cowher regarding the possibility of becoming the next coach in Cleveland.

Per the source, the Browns are willing to give Cowher a contract worth $8 million to $9 million per year.

Presumably, Cowher’s arrival would occur only if G.M. Phil Savage were fired or significantly marginalized. (Maybe Savage can go work for the Bills — or if all else fails he can root for them.) Cowher would want final say over personnel, and Cowher would want to install one or more of his former Steelers colleagues into key positions.

Likely candidates, if they can finagle a path out of Pittsburgh, would be director of football operations Kevin Colbert and/or director of business operations Omar Khan.

Cowher played for the Browns (i.e., Ravens) from 1980 through 1982, and he served as special teams coach in 1985 and 1986. He was moved to defensive backs coach in 1987, and he remained in that position through 1988.

Comment

• Good....keep him from going to Kansas City.

Comment

• Cowher in Cleveland would be so amazingly awesome. Steelers fans would implode from confusion. My girlfriend's mom is a psychopathic Pittsburgh fan and is practically in love with the Chin. Her reaction to that would be absolutely priceless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkana7 View Post
                            Cowher in Cleveland would be so amazingly awesome. Steelers fans would implode from confusion. My girlfriend's mom is a psychopathic Pittsburgh fan and is practically in love with the Chin. Her reaction to that would be absolutely priceless.
                            I agree....Pittsburgh fans would crap their pants if Cowher went to the Browns.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
                              Good....keep him from going to Kansas City.
                              Or San Diego. I always thought he'd want to go to a 3-4 team. San Diego looks like a Cowher team...well they did when it still had Schotty's fingerprints on it. Figured his protege' would step in. Now they're a bunch of manginas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                                Or San Diego. I always thought he'd want to go to a 3-4 team. San Diego looks like a Cowher team...well they did when it still had Schotty's fingerprints on it. Figured his protege' would step in. Now they're a bunch of manginas.
                                I doubt he would go to SD....Cowher has pretty deep ties to Marty and with the way Marty was let go, I can't see Cowher going there.

Stranger things have happened though.

Comment

Working...
                                X