No announcement yet.

AFC West Standings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For almost every problem on the Broncos roster, we have a solution. Some of the solutions aren't great, but they're there, and have a decent shot at working. The Chiefs have problems with no solution.
    Yeah, that's garbage.

The Chiefs and the Broncos both have problems in run defense.

Our solution is Glenn Dorsey and Tank Tyler maturing into dominant starters at defensive tackle. It might not work out, but it has a better chance of working than say...hoping your pothead DT works out and praying for a miracle with Dewayne Robertson.

The Chiefs and the Broncos both have problems at safety. The Chiefs hoped to address it by drafting three young talented safeties. It might not work out, but it has a better chance of working than depending on Hamza Abdullah.

I don't really see any problems on our roster with potential "solutions" that are any worse off than yours. Can you give me an example? We also have the advantage of having a head coach who actually knows talent, an obvious weakness of Mike Shanahan at this point.

I don't really like your point about left tackle, either. Can you give me an example of a left tackle that had to grow into the position? Usually guys come out and are either good or suck. Case in point - Marcus McNeill/Robert Gallery.

Anyway, I see the Broncos and Chiefs as being in the same boat. Both clubs are young with one side of the ball currently sitting in the trash heap (Den -defense. KC - offense). The Broncos have the advantage of having already found their quarterback, but now he has diabeetus. OH ****!

By the way, I do agree with you on Larry Johnson. I hope he's back to form, but no one knows what he'll look like. Guess we'll find out.
    Last edited by Bob's your Information Minister; 06-01-2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
      Yeah, that's garbage.

The Chiefs and the Broncos both have problems in run defense.

Our solution is Glenn Dorsey and Tank Tyler maturing into dominant starters at defensive tackle. It might not work out, but it has a better chance of working than say...hoping your pothead DT works out and praying for a miracle with Dewayne Robertson.

The Chiefs and the Broncos both have problems at safety. The Chiefs hoped to address it by drafting three young talented safeties. It might not work out, but it has a better chance of working than depending on Hamza Abdullah.

I don't really see any problems on our roster with potential "solutions" that are any worse off than yours. Can you give me an example? We also have the advantage of having a head coach who actually knows talent, an obvious weakness of Mike Shanahan at this point.

I don't really like your point about left tackle, either. Can you give me an example of a left tackle that had to grow into the position? Usually guys come out and are either good or suck. Case in point - Marcus McNeill/Robert Gallery.

Anyway, I see the Broncos and Chiefs as being in the same boat. Both clubs are young with one side of the ball currently sitting in the trash heap (Den -defense. KC - offense). The Broncos have the advantage of having already found their quarterback, but now he has diabeetus. OH ****!

By the way, I do agree with you on Larry Johnson. I hope he's back to form, but no one knows what he'll look like. Guess we'll find out.
      I was going to rep this until I read who posted it.

KC got a lot of quality, long term solutions this offseason. They had to have a laughable 2007 season and then dump their best player to do it, but they did address many areas with high quality rookies. You have to be drooling over that draft class. Saying that your team addressed needs better than KC because of another haul of dubious free agents and trades is pretty ignorant in today's NFL.

Comment

• Is the fact that KC has no competent QB on the roster not a problem without a solution? I think I saw one game where Croyle played well for a stretch... more often though, he showed backup material.

I see Shaun Alexander all over again in LJ. Must be carrying around all that bags of money but those contracts sure do take their toll on the body. I don't care who you have that you THINK will rise to the challenge, giving someone LJ's contract and then getting no production for it is definitely a problem.

I'd say both DT corps are about the same talent but Denver's has more concerns staying on the field. Getting rid of Jared Allen wont help anyone on your Dline perform better next year though.

I'll take Denver's secondary as a whole over KC's secondary as a whole. Good DBs don't need quite as much S support as bad DBs do. It always helps, but a good DB shouldn't have to rely on it. All you really need at S is competency.

KC, at this point, essentially only has a promising receiver in Bowe and the ageless wonder Tony G. Eventually, Tony's age will catch up to him. He's going to start slowing down and be more succeptible to injury - it's a fact.

Without skill players, you just can't score points. KC may be able to stay in a bunch of boring games but when it comes down to it, you have to be able to outscore your opponents. Even being that generous to their potential though also assumes that all players will pan out. Call me crazy if I'm skeptical about Albert being handed the LT job and expecting him to move from college guard to pro left tackle without some major hiccups.

If you're trying to argue that Denver's concerns are THAT bad, you're insane. To put Denver on par with KC you'd have to assume that everything goes right for KC (injury and rookies) and everything goes wrong with Denver in the same areas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paladin View Post
          Only the trolls are keeping this dumb thread going. Strange they need something from the Broncos fans, huh? Wonder what it could be
          Wow... AFCW fans posting on the AFCW thread - who wudda thunk it!

Comment

• Originally posted by 400HZ View Post

KC got a lot of quality, long term solutions this offseason. .
            I hope so.

But the fact that Herm's second and third round picks from the first two years aren't inspiring much confidence at the moment - Tank Tyler, Turk McBride, Bernard Pollard, Brodie Croyle - makes me wonder if his drafting ability is all it's cracked up to be.

If those guys don't show improvement while Brandon Flowers, Jamaal Charles, Brad Cottam and DeJuan Morgan get lumped in with them (this year's 2nd and 3rd rounders), we're going to be in a world of hurt. Hopefully it means a new head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by cah412 View Post

I'd say both DT corps are about the same talent
              In what dream world?

Comment

• Because Tank Tyler is SOOO good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkana7 View Post
                  Because Tank Tyler is SOOO good.
                  Are you really this dense? You could trade your entire defensive line for Glenn Dorsey and it'd be a fair deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                    Have you seen our DC joke the last 4 years? Yes, Faiders have problems, but I am concerned if our D is going to be much better to get over the hump and make the playoffs. Faiders just want to be .500 . Regardless of where our goals are for the season, we have to wonder what Defense will work in Denver.
                    Its not just the DC situation.

Atleast we know Mike Shanahan is the man with the pants, unlike in Jokeland where Al promises one thing to Lane (get to pick who is on the coaching staff) and then preaches another.

Comment

• I'll throw in my two cents:

SD- 11-5- Clearly the most established team in the division across the board. Team is in much better shape going into 08 as opposed to 07. Rivers looked really good in the playoffs and I think the team is a tough matchup right now for the rest of the division. The biggest difference with the Chargers and the rest of the AFCW is depth across the board.
                      Den- 10-6- Maybe a darkhorse WC team. For that to happen, Cutler has to take it to another level, and the defense has to start slowing down the run. To me, clearly the biggest threat to the Chargers in the division.
                      KC- 7-9- They will miss Jared Allen...but a healthy LJ and some new blood will do them good. Their QB's can't play worse.
                      Oak - 5-11- Russell is going to go through growing pains. They did nothing to beef up that run defense...Kiffin doesn't look nearly as motivated as last year. I've also never been a fan of DeAngelo Hall.

Comment

• I think the Broncos OL is not reliable this year. Nalen is on his last leg and is way past his prime. I'm surprised he's still playing at age 37.
                        And Ryan Clady has just as much to prove as Branden Albert. Clady looked good against OU in the Fiesta Bowl and he looked good in his conference, though it was the WAC we are talking about.
                        I also watched him play against Hawaii and he was NOT impressive. He gave up 2 sacks and quite a few QB pressures too.
                        Then in the offseason he tries to do the bench for scouts and gets hurt after doing fewer then most of the other OT's. So they want him to do it again weeks later and apparently refuses. Scouts questioned his strength and his overall toughness. He got drove back a lot last against bad teams.
                        He does a great job of dealing with speed rushers, but struggles against powerful players.

Comment

• I also think a lot of people who are bashing Croyle don't understand just what he had to go through last season. KC's offensive line gave up 55 sacks. That's the most in the NFL last season.
                          Croyle alone played 6 games last year and played a minimal amount in 3 others. That's about 6 and 3 quarters of a total playing time. That's almost 3 sacks a game if you look at it.
                          He also had no consistent WR other than rookie Dwayne Bowe. Gonzo was a threat and Croyle had most of his INT's come from passing it to Gonzo.
                          Basically Croyle had very little protection and no LJ. Add that with probably the worst offensive coordinator in the NFL and you have the results that you saw last season.

I think this year will tell if Croyle can be an NFL QB. The team got a LT who I and many believe will be reliable. The blocking on the team will be so much better. No more Kyle Turley or Chris Terry. KC added one of the best blocking TE's in college football last season. They also added one of most underrated FB's in college football too who was known as an outstanding blocker.
                          KC added a few big pieces to the mix like Will Franklin who was a good #2 WR at Mizzou and Jamaal Charles who was the best RB in the Big 12 last season.
                          Add that with an offensive coordinator that has led an offense to a SB and made Kordell Stewart look like an actual QB and see what you've got. I think the offense will be much better this season. No I'm not saying top 10 or anything like that, but I think it's reasonable to say that KC can have an offense that will rank somewhere in the high teens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
                            Are you really this dense? You could trade your entire defensive line for Glenn Dorsey and it'd be a fair deal.
                            Glenn Dorsey has yet to play an NFL snap, has an injury record and is a ROOKIE DT. Even the great Warren Sapp managed 22 tackles and 4 sacks his rookie year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkana7 View Post
                              Glenn Dorsey has yet to play an NFL snap, has an injury record and is a ROOKIE DT. Even the great Warren Sapp managed 22 tackles and 4 sacks his rookie year.
                              I agree with Inkana here, but Dorsey played through his injury and managed to put up outstanding numbers. I think he's gonna be one of the best DT's in the NFL in a year or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco Yoda
                                This is a QB driven league. KC has no QB. end of discussion
                                That is a big assumption after only 6 starts for Brodie Croyle. Let's not forget the fact that Troy Aikman lost all 11 of his starts as a rookie. Not saying that Croyle will turn out like Aikman, just pointing out that doing horribly when you have very little talent around you means little. If Croyle struggles this year then it can finally be concluded that he doesn't have what it takes but it is absolutely ridiculous to make too big of an assumption off of last years play. He was playing without LJ, one of the league's worst offensive lines, and with a horrible offensive coordinator. We have seemingly improved all of those problems as well as several others on offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X