X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScottXray
    replied
    Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
    Word on the street in Seattle is that Lynch will be gone at the end of this season.

I think the Broncos should make a serious play for Lynch if he's a free agent in 2015. He's got at least a couple of great seasons left, but like Harvin before him, the coaches may be ready to move on with someone else.
    Free Agent RBs are not getting paid...and it seems as if Lynch wants to be paid.

Leave a comment:

• ScottXray
    replied
    Originally posted by broncosteven View Post
    IDK I would think with Monty playing C he would want to make sure he got a good snap. There were a couple wild ones last week that didn't help his concentration down field.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow, we either are or are not a playoff team with their play tomorrow.
    I think Montys snaps were pretty good the last two weeks...but the ball was coming back slower, and lower than Ramirezs snaps.
    Ramirez was a lot more erratic with his snaps than Monty, though, so the net effect is positive. At least nothing went to Mannings side or over his head.
    The timing is a little bit off from previously.

Hopefully the Line doesn't allow the delayed stunts to get through them today.

Leave a comment:

• Armchair Bronco
    replied
    Word on the street in Seattle is that Lynch will be gone at the end of this season.

I think the Broncos should make a serious play for Lynch if he's a free agent in 2015. He's got at least a couple of great seasons left, but like Harvin before him, the coaches may be ready to move on with someone else.

Leave a comment:

• broncosteven
    replied
    Originally posted by ScottXray View Post
    Good points. Especially 6 and 7.

But I think part of the reason we use the Pistol/shotgun so much is that Peyton just hates to get under center anymore. And I think that he hates it because his feet are just too slow to get away from the line cleanly.

It seems that the few times he has gotten under center this year he has either been tripped, or nearly tripped , on about 50 % of his drop backs. When the line blocks they are naturally going to set their feet back at the snap, to either setup a pass block or shift/pull to the gap they need to get to. And Manning gets caught in that. Often.

So ,I think the biggest difference between Indy in 09 etc, and now is just Mannings speed. He was always slow and immobile. But he is even more so now. So he likes to start out without having to drop back that first 4-5 steps.
    IDK I would think with Monty playing C he would want to make sure he got a good snap. There were a couple wild ones last week that didn't help his concentration down field.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow, we either are or are not a playoff team with their play tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• ScottXray
    replied
    Originally posted by Cito Pelon View Post
    You brought up a lot of good points, things I've been harping on for a long time.

1) Peyton likes to run about 5-6 plays.
    2) He likes them because that's what he works on over and over and over to get the timing and execution down pat.
    3) No-huddle limits the variety of plays to the 5-6 they've worked on over and over in practice.
    4) No-huddle limits the O personnel packages.
    5) No-huddle limits adjusments by Peyton through hand signals and verbal cues. Hence why the OL is often run-blocking when Peyton tried to change to a pass play, and vice-versa.
    6) Peyton refuses to adjust, he'll keep running those same 5-6 plays hoping at some point the execution gets better.
    7) Good defenses show Peyton some looks and get him to change at the LOS into a bad play, and Peyton keeps going to the bad plays over and over.

Seems to me it's time to get away from the no-huddle and go more structured. Use the no-huddle but not exclusively.
    Good points. Especially 6 and 7.

But I think part of the reason we use the Pistol/shotgun so much is that Peyton just hates to get under center anymore. And I think that he hates it because his feet are just too slow to get away from the line cleanly.

It seems that the few times he has gotten under center this year he has either been tripped, or nearly tripped , on about 50 % of his drop backs. When the line blocks they are naturally going to set their feet back at the snap, to either setup a pass block or shift/pull to the gap they need to get to. And Manning gets caught in that. Often.

So ,I think the biggest difference between Indy in 09 etc, and now is just Mannings speed. He was always slow and immobile. But he is even more so now. So he likes to start out without having to drop back that first 4-5 steps.

Leave a comment:

• Cito Pelon
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisp View Post
    Point is the offensive scheme we use is the same one the Colts used with Manning and theirs didn't change much between 06 and 09.

We have those plays in the playbook - this scheme does not depend upon a lot of shotgun, it may well be that the Broncos can stay within the same scheme but use the shotgun less.

I don't think the 06 Colts threw their playbook away mid-season. They did practice certain things a little harder, emphasise certain things a little more, then get more confidence and execute better.

However, its possible that they used the shotgun less - or rather its possible that in 09 they started using the shotgun more - I don't know. But its unlikely that that and that alone was the key, more likely it was a variety of things, big and small.
    You brought up a lot of good points, things I've been harping on for a long time.

1) Peyton likes to run about 5-6 plays.
    2) He likes them because that's what he works on over and over and over to get the timing and execution down pat.
    3) No-huddle limits the variety of plays to the 5-6 they've worked on over and over in practice.
    4) No-huddle limits the O personnel packages.
    5) No-huddle limits adjusments by Peyton through hand signals and verbal cues. Hence why the OL is often run-blocking when Peyton tried to change to a pass play, and vice-versa.
    6) Peyton refuses to adjust, he'll keep running those same 5-6 plays hoping at some point the execution gets better.
    7) Good defenses show Peyton some looks and get him to change at the LOS into a bad play, and Peyton keeps going to the bad plays over and over.

Seems to me it's time to get away from the no-huddle and go more structured. Use the no-huddle but not exclusively.

Leave a comment:

• Bronc0guy
    replied
    I've always known that we can beat anyone in the league, my only thing is if we can beat them on the road, and that trip to NE is looming, I fear.

Leave a comment:

• errand
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
    Not one "We need a FB!" post?
    Geez! Another Tebow post.....

Leave a comment:

• Vegas_Bronco
    replied
    As DT goes, so do the Broncos. I really wish he could be as dominant as Marvin Harrison was during those years. He just seems to hide at times getting only what's given him instead of making it an every play threat.

Leave a comment:

• DENVERDUI55
    replied
    Not one "We need a FB!" post?

Leave a comment:

• labronx
    replied
    Originally posted by CEH View Post
    Adam Gase has his head up his ass. Run the damn ball, commit to it and let the Oline run block for more than 9 times while pass protecting 50 times.

He should have done this last week in a 13-7 game in the 2nd half.
    Perfect opportunity to run the ball... Weird, infact, super weird play calling.

Leave a comment:

• orinjkrush
    replied
    Relying on pfm alone is like relying on Jfe alone. Won't get er done.

Leave a comment:

• broncosteven
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisp View Post
    One for the stats freaks here - bear me out because there is a point at the end of this.....

Thought I'd compare Mannings previous superbowl seasons (with the colts). My thanks to pro football reference for the raw data

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

As you know, he actually won his first superbowl (a fact the media often seem to forget) in 2006, but then lost to the then-underdog Saints in 2009 in a manner not dissimilar to the way we got punk'd by Seattle. So, I thought I'd look and see if there was anything notable in difference between the two teams statistically

First thing is, the 2009 team is worryingly similar to our current Broncos. The defense statistically was a lot worse in the regular season, but seemed to get its act together in the playoffs. The offense was as prolific as you'd expect, but leaned heavily on the pass much as our team does today:

Offense:

Pass yds/game reg season: 282.2
    Pass yds/game Playoffs: 308.7
    Rush yds/game reg season: 80.9
    Rush yds/game Playoffs: 80.7

Defense:

Pass yds/game reg season: 212.7
    Pass yds/game Playoffs: 255.3
    Rush yds/game reg season: 126.5
    Rush yds/game Playoffs: 74.7

Average points (scored/Conceded)

Reg season: 26.0/19.2
    Playoffs: 22.3/17.0

So despite the rush defense improving massively in the playoffs (yes small sample size I know but it shows they executed!) the rush offense did not so they leaned more heavily on the pass and scored less points, winning two playoff games by comfortable margins but fading when it counted.

Now if we look at the SB winning season in 2006 there are some interesting differences

Offense:

Pass yds/game reg season: 252.3
    Pass yds/game Playoffs: 243.3
    Rush yds/game reg season: 106.7
    Rush yds/game Playoffs: 138.7

Defense:

Pass yds/game reg season: 143.8
    Pass yds/game Playoffs: 180.3
    Rush yds/game reg season: 161.4
    Rush yds/game Playoffs: 95.7

Average points (scored/Conceded)

Reg season: 25.1/21.2
    Playoffs: 27.3/19.0

In this instance the defensive turnaround against the rush was even more pronounced, but it was accompanied by an almost equally significant improvement in the rush offense too. And you see the average points/game on offense go up (again, small sample size but still interesting).

So, big deal huh? We all know that running the ball and defending the run remain keys to success. So what's my point?

Well, I raise this because I'm curious as to why the two teams are so different. Same OC (Tom Moore). Same main running back (Joseph Addai). More or less same offensive line.

The answer might lie in the way the respective seasons progressed. In 2009 Manning's colts went 14-0 before all-but throwing their last 2 games with the #1 seed sewn up. They had to feel that the basic approach was a sound one and they just needed to keep it ticking over, particularly as they had won it all only 3 years previously..

In 2006 however, things were different. They leaped out to a 9-0 start, but then finished the season going 3-4 in their last 7 games to end 12-4, winning the division but playing in the wild-card round as the 3rd seed.

Never having won the big one, they would not have gone into the postseason feeling as confident about their approach, and would have looked to have changed some stuff, or maybe just focused on and emphasised some aspects in training more.

The result was a sharper, more effective team that was also more wary of what can go wrong. Critically, a team that put more emphasis on being balanced. This stopped the 2006 Bears Defense from being able to focus on stopping one thing in the way that the Saints were able to three years later.

When you look at our own team I see some similarities. After all, its almost the same o-line that was #1 in rushing only a few years ago. Granted, Tebow was the QB and added a lot to that total, but his inability to pass outside of garbage-time had teams stacking the box against us yet still we were able to execute on the ground. So I think we have been victims of our success a little bit. We've gotten away from running the ball because we've had too much success throwing it.

If I'm right, then the potential exists to turn this thing around, become more balanced and find a winning formula. It also means we should not worry one jot about the #1 seed but more about how we're playing and how balanced the offense is. If we get it right we can beat anyone, anywhere.....
    REP for doing this, I was thinking about this after the Rams loss as well, the comparison's between the 2 teams is valid and our D hasn't played to it's fullest yet.

Hope things turn out the same way with a Win. Either way I am done with 13-3 seasons, bad luck. Go 12-4 and hope for a couple Patsy losses.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco Yoda
    replied
    I'm thinking five wide won't do much in helping our run game... but I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Rohirrim
    replied
    Power I, man. Power I.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X