X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoydogs
    replied
    Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
    Going OEM rather than aftermarket on something like an AC condensor is the right way everytime. They work much better and last much longer. With aftermarket an evac and charge comes much more often. Where it went wrong is he didn't return and replace when it first leaked. If it's a comeback for a leak that condensor shouldve been returned. Used OEM is always better on older cars than aftermarket. Especially in autobody. Aftermarket fenders/bumpers/lights etc never fit right.
    What the hell are you talking about. Check the next time a compressor is leaking I will replace the condenser .

Leave a comment:

• errand
    replied
    I would just tell my customers that if they want used parts, they need to get it themselves and put it on themselves

Leave a comment:

• Drunken.Broncoholic2
    replied
    Originally posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
    That might be the logical point of view but I'm telling you that's not how the real world works. We can sit here and talk about what should be right all day. In the end he loses in court. I worked for the Bureau of Automotive Repair in California and saw lots of shops that were morally right loose in court. His mistake was going outside the box and trying to make the repair more affordable. He put his shop at risk and is now being sued. That's why when you take your car to the shop they insist on doing the repair correctly while the shade tree guy puts one part on and leaves the questionable stuff in service. The repair shop quotes the job to repair everything related because they know there is always someone like this lady that will blame them no mater how well you explain the possible failure.
    Going OEM rather than aftermarket on something like an AC condensor is the right way everytime. They work much better and last much longer. With aftermarket an evac and charge comes much more often. Where it went wrong is he didn't return and replace when it first leaked. If it's a comeback for a leak that condensor shouldve been returned. Used OEM is always better on older cars than aftermarket. Especially in autobody. Aftermarket fenders/bumpers/lights etc never fit right.

Leave a comment:

• Knuckle Dragger
    replied
    Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
    This is true. Stupid me for trying to help. You sound like my attorney . No good deed goes unpunished.
    Don't take it as a insult. I understand why you did what you did and we always want to help. I've been burned too.

Leave a comment:

• Quoydogs
    replied
    That might be the logical point of view but I'm telling you that's not how the real world works. We can sit here and talk about what should be right all day. In the end he loses in court. I worked for the Bureau of Automotive Repair in California and saw lots of shops that were morally right loose in court. His mistake was going outside the box and trying to make the repair more affordable. He put his shop at risk and is now being sued. That's why when you take your car to the shop they insist on doing the repair correctly while the shade tree guy puts one part on and leaves the questionable stuff in service. The repair shop quotes the job to repair everything related because they know there is always someone like this lady that will blame them no mater how well you explain the possible failure.
    This is true. Stupid me for trying to help. You sound like my attorney . No good deed goes unpunished. I don't think I'm shady in anyway though. You can check my reviews if you like.

Leave a comment:

• Knuckle Dragger
    replied
    Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
    Sorry but if the repair order states the used part is not guaranteed, there's nothing to stand on. ROs are drawn up to protect the company from stuff like this.

Like I've said all along, the parts house he got it from should be on the hook. You have to return it anyways right?
    That might be the logical point of view but I'm telling you that's not how the real world works. We can sit here and talk about what should be right all day. In the end he loses in court. I worked for the Bureau of Automotive Repair in California and saw lots of shops that were morally right lose in court. His mistake was going outside the box and trying to make the repair more affordable. He put his shop at risk and is now being sued. That's why when you take your car to the shop they insist on doing the repair correctly while the shade tree guy puts one part on and leaves the questionable stuff in service. The repair shop quotes the job to repair everything related because they know there is always someone like this lady that will blame them no mater how well you explain the possible failure.
    Last edited by Knuckle Dragger; 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Quoydogs
    replied
    Originally posted by maher_tyler View Post
    Could she still do the same if the part was new??
    She could have made the same claim. Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Drunken.Broncoholic2
    replied
    Originally posted by maher_tyler View Post
    I would stop offering to install used parts no matter how small on anyone's vehicle. Could she still do the same if the part was new??
    If anyone goes through insurance you cannot avoid not using used parts. Insurance companies always go used on even newer vehicles.

Leave a comment:

• maher_tyler
    replied
    I would stop offering to install used parts no matter how small on anyone's vehicle. Could she still do the same if the part was new??

Leave a comment:

• ScottXray
    replied
    You are probably right that you would win....?

But you screwed up when you tried to fix the leak the first time. That indicates you assumed responsibility for the failure, even if you told her it wasn't guaranteed, and she signed the release/contract.

Doing so (trying to be a nice guy) was not the right thing to do. You should have been an ass and told her that she should have listened to you the first time. Maybe offered to do the labor for free if she bought new or Refurbed from you , just to be nice.

It sucks to be screwed by a customer like that ....

Leave a comment:

• Jason in LA
    replied
    Originally posted by DomCasual View Post
    In what world is it going to cost you $5K to fight it? That's small claims court. It's like Judge Judy, man. Just show up, and fight it yourself.
    I'm assuming in Quoydogs' case, it was cheaper to pay it out than to pay a lawyer to go and win the case.

I was sued once and it went to small claims court. The mistake I made was not hiring a lawyer. It was a car accident. I took photos that clearly showed that my car did not do the damage that the lady was claiming. My bumper hit her taillight, and that was all. She sued me for the entire rear quarter panel and for injuries. There were no injuries, as the collision happened in a parking lot, and the speeds weren't more than a few miles per hour. She claimed that her daughter was also injured, but the other two ladies in the car did not make any injury claims.

She fixed the taillight and claimed that my car caused the huge dent on her quarter panel. Repair damage was $1,500, and she claimed $3,500 for injuries. Maximum for small claims is $5,000. Funny that her total was that same exact amount.

I was in court thinking that this was a simple case because the photos showed it all. I even measured the damage to my bumper and compared it to the damage to her rare quarter panel. It didn't come close to matching up, but my damage did match up to the taillight that she had fixed.

I also had evidence that the lady in the past had sued a department store for a slip and fall, and when I tried to contact the doctor that she saw, the receptionist always said that he was not there. Probably because he didn't work there, and the receptionist was in on it and just made a phoney doctor's bill.

Anyway, I lost the case. I couldn't believe it. I had a few pieces of evidence that showed that the woman was lying. Didn't matter.

I always felt that if I had gotten a lawyer, a person who is skilled to handle this stuff, I would have won the case easily. So if I'm ever sued again, no matter how much evidence I have, I'm hiring a lawyer. That's what they do, and it's way better than me playing lawyer.
    Last edited by Jason in LA; 11-20-2014, 03:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Drunken.Broncoholic2
    replied
    I've got 30+ years in the business. You screwed up putting a used compressor in the car. You should have turned down the job. It never, ever works out for the shop owner on stuff like this. As professionals we are expected to do it 100% right or don't do it at all. The courts are never sympathetic to our side of the story no mater how right we are.
    Sorry but if the repair order states the used part is not guaranteed, there's nothing to stand on. ROs are drawn up to protect the company from stuff like this.

Like I've said all along, the parts house he got it from should be on the hook. You have to return it anyways right?
    Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 11-20-2014, 04:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Knuckle Dragger
    replied
    I've got 30+ years in the business. You screwed up putting a used compressor in the car. You should have turned down the job. It never, ever works out for the shop owner on stuff like this. As professionals we are expected to do it 100% right or don't do it at all. The courts are never sympathetic to our side of the story no mater how right we are.

Leave a comment:

• HILife
    replied
    The law protect the consumer so I can't go for fees and court costs. If I could I would be laughing right now instead of steaming.
    Then hire a hitman and get rid of her. That will teach her a lesson and you won't have to deal with the lawsuit.

Note to all: If he really does hire a hitman, I want to go on record that I was only joking and don't really think he should hire a hitman.

Leave a comment:

• HILife
    replied
    This is true as well. I fired a guy that lied on his resume blew up 3 motors in a week and almost got one of my good customers in a crash. Because I didn't 1 give him a verbal warning 2 write him up 3 suspend him and then 4 terminate him I had to pay him as well. The judge looked at me and said it's not a matter of what is right or wrong its how the law is written.
    So far, what I've learned today is that owning your own business sucks. How there are millionaires and billionaires in the world, I'll never know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X