Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Film Don't Lie: Broncos

A weekly look at what the Denver Broncos must fix:

As is always the case, “defending" Peyton Manning is a relative thing. Manning finished Sunday’s loss to the St. Louis Rams with 389 yards passing, his third-highest output of the season, but the Rams still felt good about their plan. They sacked Manning twice and knocked down 12 passes -- 22 percent of Manning’s attempts.

The Broncos worked out of a three-wide receiver look much of the time, as they often do and as the Rams expected. “Well, we knew for the most part, they were going to be in just the one personnel grouping," is how Rams coach Jeff Fisher put it. The Rams positioned themselves on defense to force the Broncos receivers to the outside as often as possible.

Others will try to follow suit in the coming weeks. The Broncos work plenty of option routes -- “two-way gos" as Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas often calls them -- in which, depending on the coverage, they see the receivers pick a break to the inside or outside.

The Rams tried as often as they could to give the Broncos receivers a coverage look that would make them cut to the outside. Those are throws defensive coaches believe Manning, in his post-surgical career with Broncos, doesn’t make with the accuracy he shows on throws in the middle of the field.

Combine that with the Rams' ability to create pressure in the middle of the formation and keep Manning from fully stepping up to drive the ball to the outside, and the Rams got the Broncos off track.

The Rams' strategy doesn’t work when defensive backs don’t play with discipline and doesn’t work if Manning has room to fully stride into the throw. The Rams played with discipline and didn't give Manning room, and the result was the Broncos' lowest point total since Manning signed with the team.

Fisher knows exactly what he's talking about until he plays a team with a worse record and gets $#it hammered.

That team is so unpredictable it's a weekly trap game...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 69bronco View Post

Comment

Somewhat off subject, but does it bother anyone else that Kevin8nine has been using the exact same avatar TheReverend used for like two years and still hasn't changed it? Is he doing this on purpose to annoy TheReverend?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
            Somewhat off subject, but does it bother anyone else that Kevin8nine has been using the exact same avatar TheReverend used for like two years and still hasn't changed it? Is he doing this on purpose to annoy TheReverend?
            Yes!!!!!

Comment

I thought the only thing you need to do is ignore The Reverend to annoy him?

Comment

I have avatar's turned off so I don't notice.

Comment

So basically anytime I see a post with that avatar, I assume it's Rev.

Then if it's a smart post, I know it's Rev.

Comment

I'd say that I hope the coaches can come up with some counters to this strategy, but I know they can't. They're just going to keep bringing the same gameplan to every game and hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
                      So basically anytime I see a post with that avatar, I assume it's Rev.

Then if it's a smart post, I know it's Rev.

Comment

Thought it was this one?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
                          A weekly look at what the Denver Broncos must fix:

As is always the case, “defending" Peyton Manning is a relative thing. Manning finished Sunday’s loss to the St. Louis Rams with 389 yards passing, his third-highest output of the season, but the Rams still felt good about their plan. They sacked Manning twice and knocked down 12 passes -- 22 percent of Manning’s attempts.

The Broncos worked out of a three-wide receiver look much of the time, as they often do and as the Rams expected. “Well, we knew for the most part, they were going to be in just the one personnel grouping," is how Rams coach Jeff Fisher put it. The Rams positioned themselves on defense to force the Broncos receivers to the outside as often as possible.

Others will try to follow suit in the coming weeks. The Broncos work plenty of option routes -- “two-way gos" as Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas often calls them -- in which, depending on the coverage, they see the receivers pick a break to the inside or outside.

The Rams tried as often as they could to give the Broncos receivers a coverage look that would make them cut to the outside. Those are throws defensive coaches believe Manning, in his post-surgical career with Broncos, doesn’t make with the accuracy he shows on throws in the middle of the field.

Combine that with the Rams' ability to create pressure in the middle of the formation and keep Manning from fully stepping up to drive the ball to the outside, and the Rams got the Broncos off track.

The Rams' strategy doesn’t work when defensive backs don’t play with discipline and doesn’t work if Manning has room to fully stride into the throw. The Rams played with discipline and didn't give Manning room, and the result was the Broncos' lowest point total since Manning signed with the team.
                          I consider myself a casual fan, maybe the top of casual fandom but I don't know anything near what guys like Med or Socal do about football. That said when I can see that from watching just about every snap of every Bronco game, some games more than once a coaching staff motivated to beat them can see it as well.

This is what scares me about Miami, kFc, Chugger, even the Bills at least defensively. All they need to do is play physically on D and protect the ball on O and they can hang with Denver this year. Pressure Manning on 3rd down and once they are close to scoring range (i.e. Bending but not breaking) much like kFc is designed to and they can beat them.

Last year I didn't think anyone could hang with us without turning the ball over, this year I haven't seen that. There are plenty of failings on both sides of the ball and with the OC, DC, and HC this year. They are just not focused.

The real problem is the willingness to depend on Manning to get them out of every bad spot and that just is not going to happen behind this OL. They need to commit to running the ball more. They need to find ways to add some misdirection that catches D's selling out on blitz's and they need to start faster on both sides of the ball.

Vs the Pats with all those A gap blitz's an counter trey should have been there for big gains all day as well as pitches outside with a TE trap blocking down and pinching the edge. Stuff I can see and I am not a coach.

It is hard to tell what is happening at the game from TV but to me on the 1st 4th down conversion attempt it sure looked like Manning was not coming off the field. It did not look like he even looked at the sideline which was a huge mistake once they failed to convert. They should have played FP more if they weren't going to kick the FG. That is something Fox should have called a TO on and forced him off the field if he was going to call that to begin with.

Then there was the rumor that Manning was pissed about Fox not calling TO's when the Rams were running the 1st half clock out. Personally the way that half went I would prefer to go in down by only 6 knowing we were getting the ball but if it is true Manning was mad and barking at him then there is a division in the locker room which needs to be sorted out.

Comment

I've noticed the same things. Manning doesn't have the arm strength to throw ropes to the outside. As well, outside routes require more timing, there's less room for forgiveness with the sideline there. When a defense takes away the middle, forces most of the stuff outside, and then throw in there they don't have to worry about the run game, it's an uphill battle all the way. Not only does the defense know we're not running it, now they know 75% of the time the passes are going to be short and to the outside. You might as well just tell the defense what play you're running.

Obviously we need to mix up the personnel packages much more often. It sucks that Green has been out because Tamme and JT can't block for crap.

We've GOT to keep plugging away with running the ball. And we have to utilize CJ more, even if it's some standard screen passes, even dumps in the flat or the middle of the field. The RB is the one receiver the defense can't dictate where he goes. You can't jam him at the line, you can't play inside technique forcing him outside. Marshal Faulk was maybe even more effective as a pass catching RB then a pure runner. My point is, you can feature your RB more ways then giving him a draw play up the middle. Get some designed dump off to CJ. Routes where the WR's take their man deep to give CJ some room to work. He's going to beat a safety or LB on most plays.
                            Last edited by ZONA; 11-18-2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Belichick gave everyone the blue print in last years New England game. It was play nickle and beg Denver to run the ball with only 6 men or less in the box. It went unnoticed how effective they were in coverage when Moreno had his best game of his career. The other ass whoopings teams have given Denver they were able to stop the run in that situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X