Breakdown Broncos vs. Chiefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakdown Broncos vs. Chiefs

I thought last week our group had some insightful thoughts about the matchup.

Lets try it again this week.

Cecil Lammey does his weekly breakdown here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...vers-game-plan

I thought Denver got beat pretty good on a couple screen passes vs. the Colts. I know that is something we will see with Charles on the field.

Charles running the ball doesnt necessarily scare me, but I think that he is definitely capable of breaking loose a few big gains, and if our guys tackle (like they did on that TE last week) then KC could get a couple easy scores.

Our Offense vs. KC D

.............. not much there for me to say other than this game should be not be close, 14 + point victory.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/9...fs-7-questions

http://www.milehighreport.com/mhr-fi...as-city-chiefs

One big change you see---and you have to remember the Broncos have several different approaches to their nickel package, is that they have no problem leaving Nate Irving on the field to cover. From what I've seen thus far, he's done just fine. Another option is to yank Irving for TJ Ward and replace Ward with Quinton Carter. In fact, against the speed of Jamaal Charles, that gives you sideline to sideline coverage from Marshall and Ward, and still gives you a capable hand on the TE with Quinton Carter.

^I like that
    Last edited by ludo21; 09-12-2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
      http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/9...fs-7-questions

http://www.milehighreport.com/mhr-fi...as-city-chiefs

One big change you see---and you have to remember the Broncos have several different approaches to their nickel package, is that they have no problem leaving Nate Irving on the field to cover. From what I've seen thus far, he's done just fine. Another option is to yank Irving for TJ Ward and replace Ward with Quinton Carter. In fact, against the speed of Jamaal Charles, that gives you sideline to sideline coverage from Marshall and Ward, and still gives you a capable hand on the TE with Quinton Carter.

^I like that
      We all know about Charles, but few people talk about the TEs (Kelci and Fasano). Kelci accounted for the Chiefs' only touchdown, last week, so we have to be careful about who we put on the TE...

Comment

Originally posted by Crushaholic View Post
        We all know about Charles, but few people talk about the TEs (Kelci and Fasano). Kelci accounted for the Chiefs' only touchdown, last week, so we have to be careful about who we put on the TE...
        According to PFF Marshall was killed in coverage (although that was due to the zone coverage)

regardless though I do agree, the TE are the sole bright spot for the Chiefs.

Comment

They do have Bowe back for this game, so that should account for 5 or 6 more incomplete passes from Smith because he will flat out drop the ball.

Comment

This could have been a trap game had some things not shifted in the Broncos favor. It feels like one of those games where the Broncos make a couple of bone-headed plays and all of sudden it's the third quarter and their trailing by ten. In fact it wouldn't have shocked me to see us drop this game and then beat the Seahawks the following week. But there are some issues hurting the Chiefs too much.

The first is the flat second half performance of last Sunday's game by Denver. I think it left enough of a concern in everyone's mind that they'll be more diligent than they would have been had they mopped the floor with the Colts all four quarters.

The second is the injuries to the Chiefs. They have lost three starters for the season, two on both lines, and one a defensive captain. On defense that is going to be difficult to adjust to as it makes the middle of their scheme more depleted. Offensively an already porous line is down another starter. Against a more potent pass rush, KC is going to have a harder time with the snap count facing a division rival.

I do see areas the Chiefs could hurt us. The first being attacking coverage with their two tight ends, Kelci and Fasano. I wasn't in love with our run defense last game, and if Andy Reid has learned his lesson from last game, expect a lot more Jamaal Charles. I could see a scenario where with a few easy passes to the tight ends, and some steady running from Charles that Smith gets to face a lot of short third downs - and just the threat of Charles means you can't tee off in those situations.

Another area is the what is largely an untested Broncos special teams. I could see the Chiefs getting some big returns and Denver muffing a punt or missing a field goal to give the Chiefs life.

Ultimately we're at home and we dominate them at home. I think Reid will have some creative opportunities ready to make things easier on Alex Smith, but ultimately a lack of passing game will mean even an average lead will prevent Smith from challenging. I don't think we'll destroy them though. People thought I was wrong to think the Colts would keep it close too.

Expect a tough, hard fought game where we slowly pull away.

Comment

Just saw that Allen(chiefs right tackle) is out for season with biceps surgery. Von and Ware have got to be chomping at the bit. It isn't going to be pretty if you are a chiefs fan, but for broncos fans it will be a thing of beauty.

Comment

I say we just run it up the middle.

Comment

I thought last week our group had some insightful thoughts about the matchup.

Lets try it again this week.

Cecil Lammey does his weekly breakdown here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...vers-game-plan

I thought Denver got beat pretty good on a couple screen passes vs. the Colts. I know that is something we will see with Charles on the field.

Charles running the ball doesnt necessarily scare me, but I think that he is definitely capable of breaking loose a few big gains, and if our guys tackle (like they did on that TE last week) then KC could get a couple easy scores.

Our Offense vs. KC D

.............. not much there for me to say other than this game should be not be close, 14 + point victory.
                  There's a difference though between Indy and KC. With Indy the D was forced to cover all levels, because Luck can put the ball almost anywhere accurately. With Captain Checkdown in KC, the field shrinks. More emphasis is placed on stopping the short routes and screens where he does the majority of his work.

Comment

Will Von Miller show up this week? He was a zero last week against the Colts.

Comment

According to PFF Marshall was killed in coverage (although that was due to the zone coverage)

regardless though I do agree, the TE are the sole bright spot for the Chiefs.
                      PFF needs to learn how to determine who is covering who then, because Marshall was plus in coverage for that game from my all 22 film. It's one reason I hate them, the other is making analysis from stats and not plays or matchups....

Comment

Originally posted by Mediator12 View Post
                        PFF needs to learn how to determine who is covering who then, because Marshall was plus in coverage for that game from my all 22 film. It's one reason I hate them, the other is making analysis from stats and not plays or matchups....

Agreed. From my eyes I thought Marshall played great.

My only real concern going into this weekend is the LB ability (w/out Irving or Tev) to clean up Charles before he hits the secondary/ screen passes which Reid LOVES, and the TE. Who will cover them well enough to stop the Chiefs from converting easy 3rd downs?

Comment

My predictions for the game.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Agreed. From my eyes I thought Marshall played great.

My only real concern going into this weekend is the LB ability (w/out Irving or Tev) to clean up Charles before he hits the secondary/ screen passes which Reid LOVES, and the TE. Who will cover them well enough to stop the Chiefs from converting easy 3rd downs?
                            Put Ward on Charles, Quinton on the TE and rotate between cover 1 man and cover 3 on the WR's

Comment

Only way Broncos lose this one is simply not ready to play and making a ton of mistakes. If the Broncos play their A game for 3 quarters at least , the game shouldn't be close.

Comment

Working...
                              X