Broncos vs. Colts: Game Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos vs. Colts: Game Notes

As usually happens, things look a little clearer after reviewing the video. John Fox said the Colts didn't do anything differently, and neither did the Broncos. The Broncos Offense, specifically the WR's, failed to execute in the 2nd half. With manageable down and distance, many times the Offense simply dropped the ball.

1. Peyton Manning was not "off". For starters, there were 4 dropped balls on consecutive drives to start the 2nd half (Sanders, DT x2, Caldwell), and a few more after that. Near the end of the game, he was a little cautious on an out to Emmanuel Sanders, but the fact is Sanders does not have a huge catching radius, and the ball hit him in the hands. The ensuing play, Andre Caldwell flattened out his corner route as the ball sailed over his head. Manning threw the ball to the proper place, as Kaylore mentioned in another thread.

2. Adam Gase's run play calling in the 1st half was fairly putrid after some early success. The OL blocked well enough for Montee Ball to pick up some crucial 3rd and short's throughout the game. 102 yards is middle of the pack. Ball had a little rust, and was indecisive with some cuts. That will improve. The Broncos finished with 3.2 ypc, which is not good enough. 4.0 ypc is the goal.

3. Run blocking was inconsistent, but is fixable. When one man misses it's usually a blown play, credit the RB's for picking up some tough yards. Everybody missed blocks at times, even Louis Vasquez, which is uncharacteristic and attributable to fatigue. Orlando Franklin steadily improved as the game wore on. He'll be good at LG with more game experience.

4. Ryan Clady is beginning to round into form. Obviously, that's huge for this team. Chris Clark protected well at RT, without any formidable opposition from the Colts weak pass rush.

5. Julius Thomas 3 TD's were spectacular and gave the Broncos the win. Besides that, he missed a few blocks and dropped an onside kick. He reacted on the kick slowly and tried to catch it off his shoe tops.

6. Isaiah Burse finished with 4 yards total on returns and a muffed punt.

Demarius Thomas lets a 3rd and 3 slip through his hands:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pricejj; 09-10-2014, 12:25 AM.

1. Agree/disagree : manning was on fire in 1st half and as you said, WR's dropped some catchable passes. In the 2nd half, he missed some easy throws. A few were because he didn't want to take a shot. I for one am ok with this, live to fight another day. The last throw which was wide open, would have killed the clock, Manning just had bad fundamentals, didn't step into his throw and the ball sailed on him. It happens.

2. I thought Gases play calling was ok. Get DT more involved earlier on.

3. Agreed. I re watched the game and I suspected the guards were the issues. They actually blocked well but as can be expected, the unit hasn't gelled yet. They all had a few bad plays. It will improve with more game reps together.

Comment

7. Aqib Talib came up huge with at least 2 PD's. This guy is EXACTLY what the Broncos needed at CB. Chris Harris has 2 PD's of his own including a break-up in the endzone. Spectacular play from the starting CB's.

8. Brandon Marshall made first contact on the Colts failed QB sneak at the goal line. He played fairly well in run support, but dropped too far into his zone in pass coverage at times, letting some easy underneath stuff go for big yardage, including the 45 yard TD down the sideline.

10. Demarcus Ware has the quickest step off the ball right now, and is often to the QB in less than the "2.5 seconds" he advertised. He came up limping late in the game, but went back in. That look in his eye, showed he has been in too many late losses already. Glad the Broncos pulled it out for the HOF'er. 1.5 sacks is a GREAT first game.

11. Von Miller started slow, but slowly got used to the contact, and began to assert himself as the game wore on. He had at least 2 QB pressures, but mostly tried to avoid contact in run support. I'm fine with that for now. We can expect steady improvement each game. He let a couple sacks slip right through his fingers. Credit him with a nice run stop, even though the Colts mostly avoided running to the right.

12. Credit Terrance Knighton with the surge up the middle on the goal line to stuff the QB sneak. Knighton also collapsed the pocket consistently throughout the game.

13. Malik Jackson get's 3 QB pressures and 0.5 sack. Nice game from the natural 3-tech, though he wore out in the 4th quarter.

14. Derek Wolfe had maybe 1 pressure, but looks to still be getting into game shape. He played well in run support, but needs to work on hand fighting and burst. He almost had a sack late in the game, but Luck eeked out a yard.

15. Sylvester Williams did nothing of note, but at least he wasn't falling down like he did all preseason. The Colts ran straight at him in the 1st half, pushing him off the LOS with a double-team. I expect Williams to improve just like he did last year. Not too many snaps from Williams.

16. Marvin Austin also played in limited snaps, but pursued well to the sideline on a pass to the flat, resulting in a tackle for short gain. No QB pressures, but collapsed the pocket well a couple times.

17. Nate Irving was awesome in his debut at MLB, registering a sack and tracking down ball carriers in the open field. Excited to see him play this week.

18. Quinton Carter was superb as expected at Dime Safety. He forced a fumble, and made a touchdown saving tackle at the goal line. Q Carter plays with attitude and punishes those who cross his path. The dude is on a mission.

19. Rahim Moore was finally in the right place at the right time. He had 2 picks, while almost tracking down a 3rd along the sideline. He has consistently improved himself throughout his career, and I'm excited for this season.

20. T.J. Ward had an excellent game overall, but blitzed instead of picking up the RB out of the backfield on a late 4th down conversion. He's still working into his role in this Defense, mighty nice upgrade over Mike Adams.

Von Miller dives for one of at least a couple missed sacks. All he needs is a little more strength and body control:
      Attached Files

Comment

21. Bradley Roby with a spectacular first impression. Credit him with at least 3 PD's, a touchdown saving tackle, stellar run support, and a game-winning break-up on 4th down. The guy can ball. Roby played out of the slot and at RCB. The Colts tried to single him out with Wayne and paid dearly.

Roby has superior athletic ability, and intelligence to excel. John Elway will tell you it's not luck, but mile high magic. While frantically thumbing through his draft binder, when the Broncos were on the clock on the live feed, Elway somehow, remarkably, scrambled to Bradley Roby's page...then calmly delivered the call with accuracy and legendary force. The rest is history.

Bradley Roby breaks up a pass on 4th down for the game winner:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by pricejj; 09-10-2014, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Good post Price. Just 1 comment, I was looking at the D stats on Yahoo sports WE had 13 PD's in this game how the heck did Luck manage to put up 370 yds and 24 points on us? Luck is Lucky!

Comment

Roby reminds of of a smaller, faster version of Q. Carter - dunno maybe it's the hair too.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
              While frantically thumbing through his draft binder, when the Broncos were on the clock on the live feed, Elway somehow, remarkably, scrambled to Bradley Roby's page...then calmly delivered the call with accuracy and legendary force. The rest is history.
              We need a little dramatic NFL films music to play in the background as this scene plays out.

Great breakdown man...a pleasure to read.

Comment

21. Bradley Roby with a spectacular first impression. Credit him with at least 3 PD's, a touchdown saving tackle, stellar run support, and a game-winning break-up on 4th down. The guy can ball. Roby played out of the slot and at RCB. The Colts tried to single him out with Wayne and paid dearly.

Roby has superior athletic ability, and intelligence to excel. John Elway will tell you it's not luck, but mile high magic. While frantically thumbing through his draft binder, when the Broncos were on the clock on the live feed, Elway somehow, remarkably, scrambled to Bradley Roby's page...then calmly delivered the call with accuracy and legendary force. The rest is history.

Oh oh this is vintage pricejj exuberance erupting!

Bradley Roby breaks up a pass on 4th down for the game winner:
                Oh oh this is vintage pricejj exuberance erupting!

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                  Great work. Some tiny notable additions:

TJ Ward: On the sideline 40 yarder, he needs to stop playing patty-cake with his blocker because he's tired and get outside leverage on the sideline for contain. Otherwise, great game.

Was it Knighton or Austin who blew up the Colts screen play? Either way, heady read that Denver DL have certainly missed with regularity in the past.

Run blocking in general is heavily timing oriented. With pass blocking there's a mental countdown to execute the play, but the sooner the better isn't the solution in run blocking. People are pulling and setting up blocks and there's a small window for the hole that's hard to properly time internally with steps and footwork because not everything goes according to plan after the snap. Being a pass first team certainly exacerbates this, but it'll definitely improve (along with the flat out missed blocks). Between steady improvements in timing and execution and less defenders in the box, I think the run game will be pretty solid this season.
                  Itwas austin, a huge play on that screen to identify it and turn back. He has come a long way.

Comment

Nice set of observations. I saw a few things differently though from the all 22 film:

8. Marshall played pretty damn well in coverage it was the safety's blitzing or missing depths that were not good. Quinton Carter missed the coverage on Dwayne Allen, NOT Marshall. Carter also blew the second fourth down coverage failing to cover the middle on the trips crossing pattern. Overall, Marshall was positive in my book along with Irving in pass coverage. The safeties had a lot of trouble in the dime look with responsibilities and coverage depths.

21. Bradley Roby got picked on all game long and did make some memorable plays, including the pass Defense that sealed the game. However, there is a lot of last impression bias with this kid. He gave up 6 first downs in coverage or missed tackles last night and blew at least 3 assignments in zone coverages. Plus he had 2 penalties for holding one that was declined. In short, he played outstanding in press man coverage but was very timid and unsure in off man and Zone coverages with his depths and releases. All 3 passes defensed were press man crossing routes....

Comment

I think we played great in spurts during this game. 1st half we were clicking on offense and defense but most of all the defense was doing their job and Manning was hot and the OL missed minimal blocks. In the 2nd half, we missed on a key play on each drive which stopped drives.

I was way more down on the effort watching the game live than I was watching it on NFL replay. We weren't that far off. Just simple gelling issues that you can't simulate anymore in the preseason. We'll be better now that we've made a few mistakes, came out with the W and will be better for in the future. We had guys running wide open all day. We were a block away probably 3-4 times from hitting a few 8-15 yd runs. We got gassed on defense but the individual components of this team have the chance to be very good. DL/LB/DB all flashed. Roby made some plays and had some errors. Our explosiveness at DB is much more impressive than it's been in any time I can remember including our super bowl years. We had Luck sacked 3-4 times and his escapability allowed him to get away. We'll have to close better moving forward. Marshall had a good but frustrating game. He reminds me of Trevathan when he first started. You can see the flashes. The guy is a little rough around the edges and the only thing that will boost him up is live game experience in the fire and he'll probably make a few mistakes. The athletic ability is there though.

We'll get a good test against an undermanned KC team this weekend to clean up the mistakes. Hopefully we keep the pressure on and put a foot on their throat early. Weed 3 will be a big one.

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
                        I think we played great in spurts during this game. 1st half we were clicking on offense and defense but most of all the defense was doing their job and Manning was hot and the OL missed minimal blocks. In the 2nd half, we missed on a key play on each drive which stopped drives.

I was way more down on the effort watching the game live than I was watching it on NFL replay. We weren't that far off. Just simple gelling issues that you can't simulate anymore in the preseason. We'll be better now that we've made a few mistakes, came out with the W and will be better for in the future. We had guys running wide open all day. We were a block away probably 3-4 times from hitting a few 8-15 yd runs. We got gassed on defense but the individual components of this team have the chance to be very good. DL/LB/DB all flashed. Roby made some plays and had some errors. Our explosiveness at DB is much more impressive than it's been in any time I can remember including our super bowl years. We had Luck sacked 3-4 times and his escapability allowed him to get away. We'll have to close better moving forward. Marshall had a good but frustrating game. He reminds me of Trevathan when he first started. You can see the flashes. The guy is a little rough around the edges and the only thing that will boost him up is live game experience in the fire and he'll probably make a few mistakes. The athletic ability is there though.

We'll get a good test against an undermanned KC team this weekend to clean up the mistakes. Hopefully we keep the pressure on and put a foot on their throat early. Weed 3 will be a big one.
                        Is that a special Denver blend I thought you lived in Cali!

Comment

11. Von Miller started slow, but slowly got used to the contact, and began to assert himself as the game wore on. He had at least 2 QB pressures...
                          Good write up, price. I mostly agree, although I concur with bpc that PM did make some bad throws.

PFF credited Von with 4 QB hurries.

I rewatched the beginning of the game and was reminded that the Colts started a center (A.Q. Shipley) who they'd just signed off the street to replace the injured Khaled Holmes. Knowing this I would have perhaps expected more disruption from our DT's than we had. Did anyone notice how we fared against Shipley?

Comment

Julius Thomas could've had a crucial turnover if we weren't lucky to get that fumble back.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                              Good write up, price. I mostly agree, although I concur with bpc that PM did make some bad throws.

PFF credited Von with 4 QB hurries.

I rewatched the beginning of the game and was reminded that the Colts started a center (A.Q. Shipley) who they'd just signed off the street to replace the injured Khaled Holmes. Knowing this I would have perhaps expected more disruption from our DT's than we had. Did anyone notice how we fared against Shipley?
                              The Broncos went to Nickel Defense almost exclusively after going up 24-0. Nate Irving's A gap blitz sack is probably on Shipley. After that, the Broncos rarely rushed more than 4. A couple delayed blitzes by T.J. Ward were snuffed out by a free blocker.

Knighton used his powerful swim move early in the game to break a triple team for a QB pressure. Malik Jackson was able to generate consistent pressure at 3-tech early.

Comment

Working...
                              X