Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manning off in second half, or his receivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please look at the protections on those plays as well. INDY does not have a decent pass rush without Mathis, but they did run some exotic stuff in the second half and they did not give Peyton the time to throw he normally does. Especially the back shoulder throw to Caldwell that he missed, but did not drop. And the deep throws to Sanders in the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
      During the game I couldn't help wonder if Manning was getting frazzled by the better pressure and tighter coverage the Colts were playing on defense in the second half. He overthrew a number of receivers and I wondered why.

Then I saw this video

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...a-f85173015080

If you go to 5:23 you see Manning overthrow a decently open Caldwell down the left sideline. But then you hear Michael Irvin call out Caldwell for running the route wrong. He recognizes it immediately and explains how coverage dictates that Manning threw it where it needed to go.

When you factor in the drops, most of which came in the second half, and guys like Demaryius were non-factors, I don't think Manning was intimidated. I think the other guys were gassed. People can cite conservative play calling, but we were taking shots down the field. And even when things looked off, there's more to the story.

I think we miss Welker. If the NFLPA agrees to the new deal, hopefully Welk can play this week.
      I didn't see it that way. Caldwell looks like he wants to head up field but the ball thrown to the outside forces him to backpedal to the outside. The ball was over thrown either way.

It looked to me that Manning was trying really hard to protect against interceptions. Even his long completed pass to Sander almost had too much on it. A perfect throw would have kept Sanders on his feet and into the endzone.

Good news is, I saw alot more tighter spirals from Manning then before. He'll always have his ducks but he had tighter balls this game (ok, that sounded bad, haha).

Comment

Manning was off all game long. Though the drops by his receivers did not help at all.
        The first half we were ok and then in the 2nd they figured something out and we could not adjust to it.

Far too many deep throws down the field where the timing was just off.

Comment

During the game I couldn't help wonder if Manning was getting frazzled by the better pressure and tighter coverage the Colts were playing on defense in the second half. He overthrew a number of receivers and I wondered why.

Then I saw this video

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...a-f85173015080

If you go to 5:23 you see Manning overthrow a decently open Caldwell down the left sideline. But then you hear Michael Irvin call out Caldwell for running the route wrong. He recognizes it immediately and explains how coverage dictates that Manning threw it where it needed to go.

When you factor in the drops, most of which came in the second half, and guys like Demaryius were non-factors, I don't think Manning was intimidated. I think the other guys were gassed. People can cite conservative play calling, but we were taking shots down the field. And even when things looked off, there's more to the story.

I think we miss Welker. If the NFLPA agrees to the new deal, hopefully Welk can play this week.
          if several weeks of training camp and 4 pre-season games isn't enough time to get your team ready to play the whole game without being "gassed", i have to blame the country club mindset that has creeped into the NFL due to overblown phobias about injuries and the silly restrictions in the new CBA.

what's the difference between blowing out your ACL in the 3rd pre-season game vs. the 1st regular season game anyway? if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. this is football. no point in worrying too much about it and trying to prevent it happening before the season begins.

Comment

Word is Manning was gassing the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
              I didn't see it that way. Caldwell looks like he wants to head up field but the ball thrown to the outside forces him to backpedal to the outside. The ball was over thrown either way.
              Nope. Irving and Marshall Faulk saw it. Them > you.

Comment

When they stopped throwing the ball to Sanders they kind of stopped moving the ball.

How many targets did he have in the 2nd half?

The guy is electric.

Comment

Definitely a little bit of both. Several drops, some bad throws, and one or two bad routes.

Here are all 14 incompletions (if I have time over the next couple of days I'll try to bang through the game and label these as drop/throw/route):

1st Qtr
                  1st and 5 at IND 39
                  (9:34) (No Huddle) P.Manning pass incomplete deep left to D.Thomas (V.Davis).
                  1st and 10 at IND 21
                  (6:50) (No Huddle, Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short left to D.Thomas.
                  1st and 3 at IND 3
                  (5:30) P.Manning pass incomplete short right to D.Thomas.
                  2nd and 3 at IND 3
                  (5:25) P.Manning pass incomplete short middle to D.Thomas.
                  3rd and 3 at IND 3
                  (5:22) (No Huddle, Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short right to D.Thomas (G.Toler) [L.Landry].
                  2nd and 10 at DEN 46
                  (2:43) (No Huddle, Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete deep right to J.Thomas (G.Toler).
                  2nd Qtr
                  None
                  3rd Qtr
                  2nd and 19 at DEN 11
                  (14:02) (No Huddle, Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short left to A.Caldwell (V.Davis).
                  3rd and 19 at DEN 11
                  (13:58) (No Huddle, Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short middle to D.Thomas.
                  2nd and 7 at DEN 24
                  (7:51) (No Huddle, Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short left to E.Sanders.
                  3rd and 7 at DEN 24
                  (7:47) (No Huddle, Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete deep right to A.Caldwell (G.Toler).
                  1st and 10 at DEN 38
                  (:27) (No Huddle) P.Manning pass incomplete deep left to E.Sanders.
                  4th Qtr
                  3rd and 3 at DEN 45
                  (15:00) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short left to D.Thomas (D.Butler).
                  2nd and 10 at DEN 20
                  (3:20) P.Manning pass incomplete short right to E.Sanders.
                  3rd and 10 at DEN 20
                  (3:15) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete deep left to A.Caldwell.

Comment

Nope. Irving and Marshall Faulk saw it. Them > you.
                    Doesn't mean they knew the route he was running just because it's been ran before or because those 2 "think" that's what happened.

Comment

is there any reason Caldwell would get more PT than Latimer this week? I mean legitimate reason?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
                        is there any reason Caldwell would get more PT than Latimer this week? I mean legitimate reason?
                        Caldwell is a good WR. Latimer is also, a good problem to have.

Comment

Maybe just knows the plays/reads better? PM more comfortable with him?

Comment

Latimer is likely to be a guy who comes on later in the season. Not so much now.
                            Caldwell has been in the system a while and knows the play book.

Comment

Originally posted by Lestat View Post
                              Latimer is likely to be a guy who comes on later in the season. Not so much now.
                              Caldwell has been in the system a while and knows the play book.
                              Yep and even saying that he didn't run a very good route there in the 4th quarter.

I would like to see them put Latimer in and let him run a slant or drag out of the slot just to get him some touches and a comfort level. Hell even running that end run that Sanders ran would be some nice experience.

Comment

Originally posted by broncosteven View Post
                                Yep and even saying that he didn't run a very good route there in the 4th quarter.

I would like to see them put Latimer in and let him run a slant or drag out of the slot just to get him some touches and a comfort level. Hell even running that end run that Sanders ran would be some nice experience.
                                As good as DT is, he doesn't seem to have ever been good at the deep ball or jump balls in general. I'm not sure what that is. 4.38 forty and 6'4" - it's strange. However, all indications are that Latimer is great at both of those things. Would love to see them work Cody in slowly and eventually use him to exploit mismatches with the Tony Carters of the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                                X