Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manning off in second half, or his receivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning off in second half, or his receivers?

During the game I couldn't help wonder if Manning was getting frazzled by the better pressure and tighter coverage the Colts were playing on defense in the second half. He overthrew a number of receivers and I wondered why.

Then I saw this video

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...a-f85173015080

If you go to 5:23 you see Manning overthrow a decently open Caldwell down the left sideline. But then you hear Michael Irvin call out Caldwell for running the route wrong. He recognizes it immediately and explains how coverage dictates that Manning threw it where it needed to go.

When you factor in the drops, most of which came in the second half, and guys like Demaryius were non-factors, I don't think Manning was intimidated. I think the other guys were gassed. People can cite conservative play calling, but we were taking shots down the field. And even when things looked off, there's more to the story.

I think we miss Welker. If the NFLPA agrees to the new deal, hopefully Welk can play this week.

Welker coming back would be nice especially to get a game under his belt before Seattle.

I too thought our play calling was rather aggressive that last series. I assumed we would run the ball 3 straight times.

Comment

I actually thought Manning was out of sorts in the beginning of the game then calmed down while the receivers started off well then just seemed to lose it. Maybe PTSD after the superbowl?

Comment

There's plenty of stuff to work on, and yet they still won the game. Nice position to be in. I agree many players looked gassed. That was my feeling through the whole second half. Training camp ain't what it used to be.

Comment

Its easy to underestimate Welker. Good find, I was inclined to blame Manning for those misses.

Comment

I thought DT having a bad game impacted our 2nd half performance. DT had at least one ball that hit his hands and dropped that he normally catches.

Throw in a Caldwell drop on a tough catch in the 2nd half and we don't extend drives.

They should get more comfortable this week. kFc has no one who can cover, as long as they stone the pass rush, which they do every time we play kFc's one dimensional D, we should feast on points allowing kFc fans to turn off the game and do whatever they do in the 2nd halves of games.

It was one game we were up big on and they got extremely lucky in spots and figured we would want to run it and kill clock, they had 8 men up most of the night anyway.

Typical 2nd half let down after starting strong.

Would be nice to see this team finally play one complete game

Comment

First half was awesome, second half I was thinking who the hell are you and WTF did you do with Peyton Manning? Looked like the same guy that played in the Super Bowl.

Comment

There were a couple longer passes that sailed where the WR got open. I remember one was rushed though due to inside pressure and he had to throw earlier than Sanders break for the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                  First game of the season in an offense that revolves around timing and precision with players playing out of position due to suspension.

Color me stunned.

The Demaryius drops were the only thing remotely concerning to me, but I think he's put in the body of work to chalk that up as a fluke that will hold no bearing next week.
                  Manning was off, IMO. You could see the frustration from sanders after one of them. Which is pretty cool, really, because if 31 points and a W against a solid playoff team is 'off', then **** yeah.

Comment

It is somewhere in the middle if you ask me. I'd like to see Tamme a little more this weekend and keep some players in to pass protect. I don't think the queefs can stay within 3 TD's unless they force some TO's and defensive scores.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado View Post
                      Manning was off, IMO. You could see the frustration from sanders after one of them. Which is pretty cool, really, because if 31 points and a W against a solid playoff team is 'off', then **** yeah.
                      Could have been Sanders ran the wrong route, who would you think hosed up there? A QB in the same system for 3 years (really almost his whole career) or a guy starting for a new team for the 1st time?

My money is that Sanders ran the wrong route.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                        It is somewhere in the middle if you ask me. I'd like to see Tamme a little more this weekend and keep some players in to pass protect. I don't think the queefs can stay within 3 TD's unless they force some TO's and defensive scores.
                        That was why they went to JT on the 1st TD drive. DT wasn't getting it done, they were covering him very tight, the LB's and Safeties were thinking run 1st allowing JT to draw single coverage.

I could see it coming and called it on the game thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                          Its easy to underestimate Welker. Good find, I was inclined to blame Manning for those misses.
                          Taking the high throw was correct...but Manning threw it TOO high and made it uncatcheable. While the receivers weren't helping him out he was still pressing late in the game and he missing open guys. He flat out missed Sanders wide right and Caldwell high that last series.

Sorry, but Manning was off late in the game, and yes he was missing his security blanket in Welker.

Comment

I thought there were a few unManning-like wobblers, but for the most part, there were way to many drops at crucial times. The third down drop of a perfectly thrown ball to D. Thomas in the third or fourth quarter, I can't remember which, could've put Denver in a position to put the game completely out of reach. For the most part, some rhythm issues with the offense ion the second half seemed the biggest problem, and I agree, where was Tamme in this? I thought he was going to be the slot receiver. All in all, I just think it was a crappy game plan, especially in the second half, and that's a coaching issue.

Comment

All looked a little off. Nothing to worry about though. Sloppy games happen. When have we ever seen Peyton not on point for 2 straight games? DT dropping easy passes is a rare occurrence. Will be fine

Comment

Working...
                              X