Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a shut-down corner only play one side of the field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a shut-down corner only play one side of the field?

Some folks are saying that Richard Sherman isn't really a "shut-down corner" because he *only* covers one side of the field -- to the QB's right-hand side. They say a great corner should always match up against the best receiver.

Nope. Anyone who single-handedly shuts down half the field is a shut-down corner. Green Bay thought they could "expose" Sherman by forcing him to cover Jarrett Boykin, their #3 receiver, all night long last Thursday. Sherman did, and Boykin finished the night with 0 catches and 0 targets. Rodgers basically conceded the right side of the field to Sherman.

Please, follow the example of the guy in your avatar.

out

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post

out
      Whoa

Comment

I think sanders will give him more fits than Jt.

Comment

Yes you can be. Sherman is the best CB in the league right now. He has the stats to prove it too.

Comment

Such in depth analysis, my mind is blown. I'm not sure there existed a corner in NFL history that could shut down Jarrett Boykins like that, no really, the way he ran up the field with him so that the RB could flare out underneath - ****ing beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post

out
              awesome....

Comment

When a corner shuts down the right-hand side of the field, he's also forcing right-handed QB's to throw against their bodies if they scramble to the right.

So, not only does Sherman take away half the field, he also helps keep right-handed QB's in the pocket or running to their weak side.

Comment

Originally posted by Willynowei View Post
                  Such in depth analysis, my mind is blown. I'm not sure there existed a corner in NFL history that could shut down Jarrett Boykins like that, no really, the way he ran up the field with him so that the RB could flare out underneath - ****ing beautiful.
                  Check out the final score. Green Bay lost 36-16. And I can pretty much guarantee you that other teams took notice and will *not* be repeating the "Jarrett Boykins Maneuver".

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
                    Check out the final score. Green Bay lost 36-16. And I can pretty much guarantee you that other teams took notice and will *not* be repeating the "Jarrett Boykins Maneuver".
                    Make a thread about it on a Seahawks forum.

Comment

Out

Comment

Sorry I don't talk to the football illiterate, gain a higher IQ and reapply, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                          Make a thread about it on a Seahawks forum.
                          This.

Comment

When a corner shuts down the right-hand side of the field, he's also forcing right-handed QB's to throw against their bodies if they scramble to the right.

So, not only does Sherman take away half the field, he also helps keep right-handed QB's in the pocket or running to their weak side.
                            So you grace us with this after months of you being away celebrating the SB win with Seattle ****? I can't imagine you do this without knowing how annoying you have become.

What did your Seattle Seahawks Forum say about your question?

Comment

Some folks are saying that Richard Sherman isn't really a "shut-down corner" because he *only* covers one side of the field -- to the QB's right-hand side. They say a great corner should always match up against the best receiver.

Nope. Anyone who single-handedly shuts down half the field is a shut-down corner. Green Bay thought they could "expose" Sherman by forcing him to cover Jarrett Boykin, their #3 receiver, all night long last Thursday. Sherman did, and Boykin finished the night with 0 catches and 0 targets. Rodgers basically conceded the right side of the field to Sherman.
                              I was really hoping you were going to stay away. Damn bandwagon seahawk fan...

Comment

Working...
                              X