No announcement yet.

Regular Season Game #1 Plus/Minus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relax. It's all good. We won (barely). Nothing to see here. Nothing to discuss. Take the red pill.

Comment

I'm glad we won, but WTF happened in the 2nd half? Ugh.
      Manning was off a lot on throws he normally makes. The last possession, the throw to Sanders, the throw to Caldwell, plus a couple other missed throws in there.

Then there were the perfect throws that make your jaw drop.

I hate the heavy personal look for our team early on. We thrive on spreading the defense and creating mismatches.

Also, this offense is going to be something else when Welker comes back. Geez.

Comment

I'm encouraged that our offense can play like **** for a half a game and put up 31 points. That's pretty nice.

Comment

plus:

ware
          roby
          manning
          sanders
          Julius Thomas pass catching
          Ryan Clady

minus:

Demaryius Thomas
          the rest of the OL
          Von Miller
          Julius Thomas when not pass catching
          Tony carter
          John Fox (always)

Comment

Another plus: Next week, the Chiefs. A chance to tune it all up before facing the Seahawks again.

Comment

Plus

-Roby
              -Defense big stops when needed
              -Julius
              -Rahim
              -Clady

Minus

-Sloppy play
              -Mental mistakes
              -Burse
              -Sluggish offense in second half
              -run blocking
              -Receivers hands
              Last edited by Kaylore; 09-07-2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
                Plus

- Dream
                - JT
                - first half
                - Ware
                - Red Zone D

Minus

- Still can't put together a whole game. Lack of adjustment to what Indy was doing in the second half. Fox continues to be a less than awesome gameday coach.
                - Manning gave Cito reason to mope....also seems to be overthrowing more than usual....accuracy wasn't great...clutchness still an issue
                - OL got limited push....Ball still lacks a decent burst.
                - Von nowhere near his old self....yet
                - DT with contract jitters
                Pros off the top of my head:

Nice start to the game. It flashed what we could do when the offense and defense get clicking together, we were cruising prior to halftime. +2 on the turnover looked good as a stat. I thought CJ Anderson looked really good out there. Sanders looked nice early on. JT catching the ball is a weapon. Defense was doing a nice job early. Moore made a couple big plays. TJ Ward can offer a lot to this defense and i'm excited to see how he grows for us. I thought coverage wise, we were in pretty good position on contested passes, either caught or not. Roby had a great day, all things considered, it is his 1st game as a pro and he makes the game winning PD. Aqib made some huge plays. I thought Ware and Malik had strong games rushing the passer. Irvine was setting the tempo early making some big plays.

Cons :..........

Starts at the top, the coaches started killing the clock as soon as they took knees going into halftime. That was bull****. We looked like we were milking clock coming out in the 3rd. I imagine that was a Fox call because that isn't Gase' style. I thought JDR's bench emptied quick on him and our defense fell into the trap of the game where the offense shut it down, special teams fumbles an onside kick and they gassed out. They were left to finish the game and thankfully they did. Big play by Roby.

I thought Manning got tight in the 2nd half. Play calling got conservative and he lost the rhythm he was in during the 1st half. He missed throws he normally doesn't miss. It was a little bit on pressure but Manning just hurried a few throws and blew it.

I thought the HB's were ok. People will blame the rushing game on Montee Ball and i'm sure he shares a little bit of fault but it was on the OL to me. I thought our guard play was awful. Vasquez had his worst game in Denver IMO and I guess its normal for us to assume Franklin would have a learning curve at guard. He buries his head on some plays and just doesn't play very aware especially on zone run and stunt pass blocking. Also, Julius Thomas was dog**** blocking in the run game. As good as he was catching 3 TD's (excluding the fumble which was just so stupid), he was equally as bad on run blocking. There are some plays where it looks like he has no interest in blocking for the running game. He let some DE's scrape inside his face on backside running plays and smoke the ball carrier. So if you were keeping track, Vasquez has a bad game, Franklin has some mental errors and Julius gave poor effort. That killed our running game which is as much on them as it would be on Ball.

The WR's pissed me off. Good teams don't dribble balls off the ground. Our Super Bowl teams would never do that or risk Shanahan's ire. We probably had 6 or 7 drops in this game. I don't know if the coaches really hold them accountable. Two of them on wide open passes to Demaryius Thomas. He's the leader, he needs to get his ass going. That was simply unacceptable.

Special teams played pretty strong except for the stupid hands team gaff on Julius Thomas. I don't know what the hell he was thinking. Put somebody with better hands back there.

On defense, I thought the Colts OL kicked our ass on the DL. I think the LB's took a noticeable dip when Irvin went out. Marshall flashed but ultimately left a bunch of play out on the field. That pass to the TE for the Colts where he jumped the route, know the situational football, tackle the guy, at worst Indy has to drive down the field and it kills another 2-3 minutes off the clock.

By the end of the 2nd half, our pass rush wilted, Carter was on the field, and our tackling went to ****. Every time Ahmad Bradshaw had the ball, he went down well after 1st contact.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So goals for the game, how did we do :

1. Run the ball : No, bad effort overall.
                2. Be physical : I think Indy was more physical than we were, on both sides of the ball.
                3. Positive turnover battle : We accomplished that but almost gave it away. overall I still think we are careless with the ball.
                4. Improve on ST coverage : I thought we covered well. The onside kick left an ugly mark on the unit overall. That was a huge play. We struggled on onside kicks last year too, namely against SD in the playoffs. Coaches need to figure out a better way to do these because how they are coaching it now, sucks dick.

We start 1-0 against a conference rival who will probably see in the playoffs. They are probably feeling pretty good about how they did against us. We have a long way to go as a team. Things not looking good for us in week 3 in our current state.
                Last edited by bpc; 09-07-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah this left a bad taste in my mouth. It is only week one, though. I'd much rather see pieces that can begin to fit together than peak to early. We've seen that before too. We need to keep improving and keep being aggressive. I do not like the conservative crap when we're playing at home. You need to keep the gas on.

Comment

Darin Gantt: "Maybe it was just 19 seconds, and maybe we’re making too much of this.
                    But sometimes, it seems like the only non-Seahawk who can slow Peyton Manning down is John Fox."

I think there is some truth to this. How many times has Manning lost a game that was a shootout for 4 quarters? How many fourth quarter comebacks does he have? I think I trust Manning going for the jugular for 60 minutes more than I do having Fox go into turtle mode as soon as they get a 10 point lead with 30 minutes left to play.

Comment

I think Elway just has to give the team another speech. Like last year.

Also, they should move training camp back to Greeley. Nothing would make them meaner than smelling cow**** for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post
                        Darin Gantt: "Maybe it was just 19 seconds, and maybe we’re making too much of this.
                        But sometimes, it seems like the only non-Seahawk who can slow Peyton Manning down is John Fox."

I think there is some truth to this. How many times has Manning lost a game that was a shootout for 4 quarters? How many fourth quarter comebacks does he have? I think I trust Manning going for the jugular for 60 minutes more than I do having Fox go into turtle mode as soon as they get a 10 point lead with 30 minutes left to play.
                        If this was baseball, Fox would be the type of manager that never makes any decision beyond the one the odds tell him to make, ie, the most boring type of manager you could have.

Comment

Minus:
                          -Fox

Comment

Plus: 1st half
                            Minus: 2nd half

Comment

I think there is one fact that we can all agree on: Woody Paige is full of ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                                If this was baseball, Fox would be the type of manager that never makes any decision beyond the one the odds tell him to make, ie, the most boring type of manager you could have.
                                Actually no NFL coach has the balls to follow the odds, and Fox is one of the furthest from doing so. The odds say there shouldn't be a punter in the NFL, but the closest we've seen to a Billy Beane was Billy Bel talking about going for it in the playoffs against us last year. And of course he didn't...

And your description of a baseball manager (or any coach in any sport) would be the best manager in the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X