4 th down with a untrusted kicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 th down with a untrusted kicker

Is it completely crazy to just go for it on 4th down situations when we don't have a solid kicker ? We have the best offense , Peyton and a upgraded D. Too far fetched ?

I'd say it's too far to say we have an "untrusted" kicker just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
      Is it completely crazy to just go for it on 4th down situations when we don't have a solid kicker ? We have the best offense , Peyton and a upgraded D. Too far fetched ?
      Did we name a new head coach?

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
        Is it completely crazy to just go for it on 4th down situations

It's shabbyfied beyond the capacity for rational thought.

/John Fox

Comment

Manning wants to go for every 4th down on their side of the field if it is within a couple of yards. He probably gets his way a little easier now.

Comment

I can see going for it on 4th down happening with more frequency than with Prater

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
              Manning wants to go for every 4th down on their side of the field if it is within a couple of yards. He probably gets his way a little easier now.
              I learned from Madden that there's always one play somewhere in the playbook you can run that usually draws defensive PI.

4th and 4? 4th and 40? Just run that play, and you're golden.

Comment

we have john fox. Get ready for some red zone punts (face palm)

Comment

Shabfox is a conventional coach. Which means we'll be kicking early, and going for it late. He'll give the kicker the chance to prove he can't do it before deciding to make decisions based on that idea.

There are plenty of capable kickers out there. Just because we won't have one of the top 32, it doesn't mean that we're in trouble. With as many FCS Schools out there, and all of them having 2-3 kickers, and with at least 25% of them graduating each year, there has to be ONE out there that can kick a 40 yard field goal with some consistency.

Comment

If Fox starts to "turtle" too much there is a (incredibly slight) chance that Manning may start making his own fourth down calls.

Bill Simmons "Awards" in 2006:

"The James Brolin/Chad Lowe Award for Best Ongoing Emasculation"

To poor Tony Dungy, who sent his punting team out twice this season in fourth-and-short situations only to have it waved off by an overwhelmed quarterback whose postseason record currently stands at 3-6.

First of all, can you imagine what would happen if Bill Belichick sent New England's punting team out and Tom Brady tried to wave it off? Actually, I know what would happen -- Belichick would immediately call a timeout, furiously motion for Brady to come over, then chew him out on national TV. That's what would happen. Second of all, if you're the other Indy players, how can you respect your coach after that? Who's running the team, Dungy or Manning? Can you name another professional athlete in any sport who acts autonomously and directly disobeys his coach? Why doesn't the national media make a bigger deal out of this? What's the difference between Manning waving the punt team off the field and Terrell Owens questioning the competency of Donovan McNabb?

I find it odd, that Simmons doesn't mention whether Manning waving off the punt team, actually worked. If it failed in spectacular fashion, what are the odds that he wouldn't mention it?
                    I would like to find out which games this happened in.

I did find a game where he waved off Dungy in 2004. From Wikipedia:

"He (Manning) was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for a fourth time in the week 16 game against San Diego<sup id="cite_ref-mediaguide_45-13" class="reference"></sup> where he led the Colts to a 34–31 victory after trailing by fifteen in the fourth quarter. With the Colts facing a 4th & 4 at their own 26, Manning waved the punt team off the field and completed a 19-yard pass to Reggie Wayne for the first down. He finished the drive with a 21-yard TD pass to Brandon Stokley, his 49th TD pass of the season, breaking Dan Marino's record of 48. After the two-point conversion to tie, Manning got the ball first in overtime and set up the winning field goal."

Any QB who has the balls to go for it on 4th and 4 from his own 26, scores a td, gets the two point conversion, wins the game in OT, seals a playoff berth, and breaks Dan Marino's record, has earned the right to make his own fourth down calls imo.
                    Last edited by mennonite; 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I think Denver would be points ahead going for it on 4th vs always kicking a FG.

Comment

Story of the 1st quarter of the year for us right now will be the kicking situation. I think Fox will play it conservatively but if it's a tough kick say around the opponents 30's-40's, then I'm probably going for it personally.

Comment

When has Fox ever called the offensive plays? Oh that's right, never. That's all Gase and Manning. Now, what Fox should do is voice his opinion if he thinks the offense needs a kick in the ass or something, otherwise he should just worry about being the overall field manager rather than a micro manager.

Comment

You guys have it all wrong. This is John Fox we're talking about.

It isn't a matter of going for it versus a field goal.

Unless it's 4th and 1 or 2, it's a matter of punt versus a field goal.

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post
                              If Fox starts to "turtle" too much there is a (incredibly slight) chance that Manning may start making his own fourth down calls.

Bill Simmons "Awards" in 2006:

"The James Brolin/Chad Lowe Award for Best Ongoing Emasculation"

To poor Tony Dungy, who sent his punting team out twice this season in fourth-and-short situations only to have it waved off by an overwhelmed quarterback whose postseason record currently stands at 3-6.

First of all, can you imagine what would happen if Bill Belichick sent New England's punting team out and Tom Brady tried to wave it off? Actually, I know what would happen -- Belichick would immediately call a timeout, furiously motion for Brady to come over, then chew him out on national TV. That's what would happen. Second of all, if you're the other Indy players, how can you respect your coach after that? Who's running the team, Dungy or Manning? Can you name another professional athlete in any sport who acts autonomously and directly disobeys his coach? Why doesn't the national media make a bigger deal out of this? What's the difference between Manning waving the punt team off the field and Terrell Owens questioning the competency of Donovan McNabb?

I find it odd, that Simmons doesn't mention whether Manning waving off the punt team, actually worked. If it failed in spectacular fashion, what are the odds that he wouldn't mention it?
                              I would like to find out which games this happened in.

I did find a game where he waved off Dungy in 2004. From Wikipedia:

"He (Manning) was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for a fourth time in the week 16 game against San Diego<sup id="cite_ref-mediaguide_45-13" class="reference"></sup> where he led the Colts to a 34–31 victory after trailing by fifteen in the fourth quarter. With the Colts facing a 4th & 4 at their own 26, Manning waved the punt team off the field and completed a 19-yard pass to Reggie Wayne for the first down. He finished the drive with a 21-yard TD pass to Brandon Stokley, his 49th TD pass of the season, breaking Dan Marino's record of 48. After the two-point conversion to tie, Manning got the ball first in overtime and set up the winning field goal."

Any QB who has the balls to go for it on 4th and 4 from his own 26, scores a td, gets the two point conversion, wins the game in OT, seals a playoff berth, and breaks Dan Marino's record, has earned the right to make his own fourth down calls imo.
                              Manning has waved off a kick multiple times wearing Broncos Orange.. At least 2 times a year for the last 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X