2005? WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunns View Post
    Brown played in 14 games during that season and didn't do crap. .
    Didn't read past here.

Comment

Browncos were laughed at before the season but they produced pretty nicely. 2005 was a huge over the hump moment for the 00's but that was the last harrah as the Cutler experiment started late 2006.

Comment

the 2005 DL wasn't all that great. But this is probably the deepest DL Denver has had since then. That's the story of the past decade of Denver DLs. Maybe last year's was better than the Browncos, but without Von and Wolfe on the field it was maybe about equal.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtown View Post
          Didn't read past here.
          2 sacks and 20 tackles. Whooohooo!

Comment

2005 DL was decent, nothing spectacular but decent. Good in run defense, but honestly the pass rush wasn't much to speak of. We blitzed HEAVILY that year if I remember correctly. Larry Coyer did a great job that season in taking what he had to get the defense respectable and to the AFC Championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisp View Post
              I've seen it a couple of times now - The Denver post has referred to our Defensive line as 'the deepest since 2005'

Hello?

Our d-line was not that special in 2005. Yes we had Trevor Pryce, which actually meant that the line was OK, but the term 'deep' means you have quality backups not just quality starters. This was the famed year of the 'Browncos' fer chrisakes - here's the list from that yea according to Wikipedia:

Defensive line
              98 Courtney Brown LE
              95 Marco Coleman DE
              91 Ebenezer Ekuban LE
              60 John Engelberger DE
              96 Michael Myers LT
              75 Monsanto Pope DT
              93 Trevor Pryce RE
              97 Demetrin Veal DT
              61 Gerard Warren RT

Courtney Brown when healthy was good , but he never was healthy and retired soon after. This was actually the year that we had decent run defense, but less than zero pass rush, which was exposed in the AFC champs game.

This year the line seems much more rounded. For the first time ever we have both quality pass rush on the ends as well as solid run defense inside, with quality backups at every position. In fact I think that this year's backup front 4 could have probably started for every team we had since Pryce left

SO best since 2005? I think we're waaayyy better than that this year, someone ought to tell the DP.....
              Ummmmm that line was responsible for the top 5 ranked defense in the league that year.

Comment

Originally posted by gunns View Post
                2 sacks and 20 tackles. Whooohooo!
                Did you watch the games?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
                  the 2005 DL wasn't all that great. But this is probably the deepest DL Denver has had since then. That's the story of the past decade of Denver DLs. Maybe last year's was better than the Browncos, but without Von and Wolfe on the field it was maybe about equal.
                  i would say we have the deepest DL since forever and the best starters since 1977

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                    i would say we have the deepest DL since forever and the best starters since 1977
                    I would agree.

Even guys like Anunike and Youboty are tremendous talents, both stashed away on IR.

Comment

I remember Coyer was having to blitz like crazy to get pressures. The smoke and mirror scheme worked until Pitt figured it out and Ben exposed us.

I really fell in love with that team. We'd have beaten the hawks.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                        You think 1977 was better than 1996 through 1998?

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                          You think 1977 was better than 1996 through 1998?
                          Yes

Lyle Alazado

Ruban Carter

Barney Chavous

Paul Smith

Comment

Originally posted by spdirty View Post
                            I remember Coyer was having to blitz like crazy to get pressures. The smoke and mirror scheme worked until Pitt figured it out and Ben exposed us.

I really fell in love with that team. We'd have beaten the hawks.
                            I loved that team too. The cover 0 worked all season long until Pittsburgh figured how to exploit it. That team would of got destroyed in the AFC Championship by Indy though. I thought that was the only team keeping Denver from winning it all. Once Pittsburgh did their job I thought it was destiny.
                            Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 09-01-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                              There was a period, like '06, when my brother and I referred to our defensive line as the old white bankers becasue they all had old gilded age names: Ebenezer Ekuban, Kenard Lang, Gerard Warren, Demetrin Veal.

"Shall we have Brunch on the morrow, Kenard?" "Nay, Ebenezer, Abigail will be having her bridge club."
                              "Shall we create a central bank that secretly robs the people of their wealth and have to constantly rely on blitzing and smoke and mirrors to get to the quarterback? Bully!"

Comment

This DL we have is by far the best we've ever had. I mean, when you can cut a guy like Big Vick, that's saying something about the talent and depth you have across the line.

Comment

Working...
                                X