2005? WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005? WTF?

I've seen it a couple of times now - The Denver post has referred to our Defensive line as 'the deepest since 2005'

Hello?

Our d-line was not that special in 2005. Yes we had Trevor Pryce, which actually meant that the line was OK, but the term 'deep' means you have quality backups not just quality starters. This was the famed year of the 'Browncos' fer chrisakes - here's the list from that yea according to Wikipedia:

Defensive line
    98 Courtney Brown LE
    95 Marco Coleman DE
    91 Ebenezer Ekuban LE
    60 John Engelberger DE
    96 Michael Myers LT
    75 Monsanto Pope DT
    93 Trevor Pryce RE
    97 Demetrin Veal DT
    61 Gerard Warren RT

Courtney Brown when healthy was good , but he never was healthy and retired soon after. This was actually the year that we had decent run defense, but less than zero pass rush, which was exposed in the AFC champs game.

This year the line seems much more rounded. For the first time ever we have both quality pass rush on the ends as well as solid run defense inside, with quality backups at every position. In fact I think that this year's backup front 4 could have probably started for every team we had since Pryce left

SO best since 2005? I think we're waaayyy better than that this year, someone ought to tell the DP.....
    Last edited by chrisp; 09-01-2014, 02:34 AM.

Oh and I would add that a lot of the credit for the run defense that year must also be shared with Al Wilson and the Linebackers.....

Comment

Put a prime John Engelberger on any team and you're talking about greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco View Post
        With his infamous 10 second bullrush.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco View Post
          He is a hard worker and a guy who brings a hard hat and lunch pail to work!

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
            He is a hard worker and a guy who brings a hard hat and lunch pail to work!
            He has a very high motor. This is the type if player you need on your team.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket 7 View Post
              He has a very high motor. This is the type if player you need on your team.
              Now here is a guy who is a heck of a player. He might not show up at games or in the stats but he just works hard in practice. Every team can use a guy like him.

Comment

There used to be a regular poster named Needa Pass Rush that posted here for years. He disappeared around the time we drafted Von. I wonder if he still posts under a different name?

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                  There used to be a regular poster named Needa Pass Rush that posted here for years. He disappeared around the time we drafted Von. I wonder if he still posts under a different name?
                  I remember him. And it's funny that when Von came he left. How appropriate.

Comment

I thought the same when reading that D. post reference to 2005. The line is far better than that one. I've asked before but can anybody name a season when we were better and deeper on the DL? I can't.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisp View Post
                      I've seen it a couple of times now - The Denver post has referred to our Defensive line as 'the deepest since 2005'

Hello?

Our d-line was not that special in 2005. Yes we had Trevor Pryce, which actually meant that the line was OK, but the term 'deep' means you have quality backups not just quality starters. This was the famed year of the 'Browncos' fer chrisakes - here's the list from that yea according to Wikipedia:

Defensive line
                      98 Courtney Brown LE
                      95 Marco Coleman DE
                      91 Ebenezer Ekuban LE
                      60 John Engelberger DE
                      96 Michael Myers LT
                      75 Monsanto Pope DT
                      93 Trevor Pryce RE
                      97 Demetrin Veal DT
                      61 Gerard Warren RT

Courtney Brown when healthy was good , but he never was healthy and retired soon after. This was actually the year that we had decent run defense, but less than zero pass rush, which was exposed in the AFC champs game.

This year the line seems much more rounded. For the first time ever we have both quality pass rush on the ends as well as solid run defense inside, with quality backups at every position. In fact I think that this year's backup front 4 could have probably started for every team we had since Pryce left

SO best since 2005? I think we're waaayyy better than that this year, someone ought to tell the DP.....
                      To be fair, we have had crap lines since then.

Comment

There was a period, like '06, when my brother and I referred to our defensive line as the old white bankers because they all had old gilded age names: Ebenezer Ekuban, Kenard Lang, Gerard Warren, Demetrin Veal.

"Shall we have Brunch on the morrow, Kenard?" "Nay, Ebenezer, Abigail will be having her bridge club."
                        Last edited by Kaylore; 09-01-2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

That line got us to the AFC Championship game. When healthy Brown was more than good, he was elite. Might not have been an all world line, but make no mistake, it was miles better than the crap we have trotted out since.

Until now. So yes this is the best line we've had since 2005. There's nothing in that statement that means it isnt better than 2005.
                          Last edited by bowtown; 09-01-2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtown View Post
                            That line got us to the AFC Championship game. When healthy Brown was more than good, he was elite. Might not have been an all world line, but make no mistake, it was miles better than the crap we have trotted out since.

Until now. So yes this is the best line we've had since 2005. There's nothing in that statement that means it isnt better than 2005.
                            True, but it is weird to use 2005 as the litmus test.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtown View Post

DL has been awful since the 90's. We couldn't draft or pick up a decent DL prospect. Shanahan bringing in the Browncos was another example. Brown played in 14 games during that season and didn't do crap. Saying it was miles better is a huge stretch, but saying it was better than what we had before and after isn't hard.

Our pass D was awful except for Champ. That was his season. Champ and Ian Gold were our top defensive players. But that's not to put it all on the D. The offense sucked, except for the running game. Thank god we had Rod Smith because the other WR were non existent. It's an absolute miracle we had the season we did.

Comment

Working...
                              X