Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBS Sports Season Predictions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by TonyR View Post
    Other than Revis, and being more healthy, what is it that people are so enamored of? The Broncos clearly improved more when you factor in acquisitions, players returning from injury, and net out players who left. I don't get it. Particularly if Gronk isn't fully recovered.
    AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

    Judy Battista: Broncos over Patriots. Both teams are better than they were last season, especially on defense, but Peyton Manning's array of offensive weapons is the difference. The only team with a chance to disrupt this meeting is the Colts.

    Brian Billick: Patriots over Bengals. New England -- which is carrying a 4-5 playoff record since 2009 -- reclaims its postseason dominance and represents the AFC in the Super Bowl for the sixth time under Bill Belichick.

    Gil Brandt: Patriots over Broncos. With Darrelle Revis upgrading their dynamic duo (Tom Brady and Bill Belichick) to a big three, the Patriots have what it takes to flip the results of last season's AFC title game -- especially since the rematch takes place in Foxborough.

    Bucky Brooks: Broncos over Patriots. The Broncos' balanced attack overcomes Tom Brady and Co. in the second half to claim the AFC crown for the second straight season.

    Charley Casserly: Broncos over Patriots. Denver's defense is better this year, and so is New England's. But can key Patriots contributors like Rob Gronkowski and Vince Wilfork stay healthy?

    Dave Dameshek: Patriots over Colts. Brady goes into The House That Peyton Built (where the Pats lost a Super Bowl three seasons ago) and beats Andrew Luck's top-seeded Colts, punching his ticket to Arizona (where the Pats lost a Super Bowl seven seasons ago) with a chance at redemption.

    Elliot Harrison: Patriots over Broncos. Denver survives San Diego but, after beating the Patriots last year, is unable to repeat that feat. Turnovers are the key in this AFC title rematch.

    Gregg Rosenthal: Patriots over Steelers. Kordell Stewart will not be involved.

    Adam Schein: Broncos over Patriots. Sign me up for Manning vs. Brady one more time. Denver is the best team in the AFC.

    Michael Silver: Colts over Bengals. Andrew Luck is a baaaaaad man -- and he is part of a very good team that will peak at the right time.

    Chris Wesseling: Patriots over Broncos. I'd rather see Brady in an NFL-record sixth Super Bowl than Peyton Manning in a fourth Super Bowl. Darrelle Revis makes the difference.


    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...hawks-get-love

    A lot of the media has a latent homoerotic man-crush on Tommy Tantrum that can cloud their judgment.

    I'm thinking their oline will be an issue. Solder is overrated. Hope Von is fully back as he routinely destroys them

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
      AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

      Judy Battista: Broncos over Patriots. Both teams are better than they were last season, especially on defense, but Peyton Manning's array of offensive weapons is the difference. The only team with a chance to disrupt this meeting is the Colts.

      Brian Billick: Patriots over Bengals. New England -- which is carrying a 4-5 playoff record since 2009 -- reclaims its postseason dominance and represents the AFC in the Super Bowl for the sixth time under Bill Belichick.

      Gil Brandt: Patriots over Broncos. With Darrelle Revis upgrading their dynamic duo (Tom Brady and Bill Belichick) to a big three, the Patriots have what it takes to flip the results of last season's AFC title game -- especially since the rematch takes place in Foxborough.

      Bucky Brooks: Broncos over Patriots. The Broncos' balanced attack overcomes Tom Brady and Co. in the second half to claim the AFC crown for the second straight season.

      Charley Casserly: Broncos over Patriots. Denver's defense is better this year, and so is New England's. But can key Patriots contributors like Rob Gronkowski and Vince Wilfork stay healthy?

      Dave Dameshek: Patriots over Colts. Brady goes into The House That Peyton Built (where the Pats lost a Super Bowl three seasons ago) and beats Andrew Luck's top-seeded Colts, punching his ticket to Arizona (where the Pats lost a Super Bowl seven seasons ago) with a chance at redemption.

      Elliot Harrison: Patriots over Broncos. Denver survives San Diego but, after beating the Patriots last year, is unable to repeat that feat. Turnovers are the key in this AFC title rematch.

      Gregg Rosenthal: Patriots over Steelers. Kordell Stewart will not be involved.

      Adam Schein: Broncos over Patriots. Sign me up for Manning vs. Brady one more time. Denver is the best team in the AFC.

      Michael Silver: Colts over Bengals. Andrew Luck is a baaaaaad man -- and he is part of a very good team that will peak at the right time.

      Chris Wesseling: Patriots over Broncos. I'd rather see Brady in an NFL-record sixth Super Bowl than Peyton Manning in a fourth Super Bowl. Darrelle Revis makes the difference.


      http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...hawks-get-love

      A lot of the media has a latent homoerotic man-crush on Tommy Tantrum that can cloud their judgment.

      I'm thinking their oline will be an issue. Solder is overrated. Hope Von is fully back as he routinely destroys them
      I just don't see what these guys see in the Patriots....and they see it every year. Oh yeah, they got Revis.

      And what is the deal with the Packers? Did they get a new defense? Oh yeah they played well without Rodgers so they must be the next SB winners.

      Guess we'll see.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by gunns View Post
        Oh yeah, they got Revis.
        Great player - hasn't necessarily translated to wins though. Albeit with two crappy teams. The way they talk about him though he is the biggest difference maker in the league.

        6 playoff games in 7 years.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by TonyR View Post
          Other than Revis, and being more healthy, what is it that people are so enamored of? The Broncos clearly improved more when you factor in acquisitions, players returning from injury, and net out players who left. I don't get it. Particularly if Gronk isn't fully recovered.
          Patriots were ravaged by injuries last year much like the Broncos. They lost Mayo and Wilfork.... among others.

          Their WRs have one more year's experience and should be much better.....

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by B-Large View Post
            Decker will outperform Sanders....lol

            Funny column
            That's a bold statement.

            I liked Decker a lot in Denver, but Peyton is who made him a star. He is a good receiver but, if he has over 60 receptions or more than 1000 receiving yards with Geno Smith throwing him the ball I am going to be amazed.

            Comment


            • #36
              Not seeing what suddenly makes the Patriots great. Yes, they are good and have a free pass to the playoffs because they play in a **** division. But Revis doesn't suddenly make them the best team in the league. He is a better player than Talib, but not by a margin so large that it makes the dynamic on that team any different than last season.

              Denver, without the additions of Talib, Ward and Ware would be better than the Pats just by getting injured players back healthy. Revis as good as he is, does not have as big of an impact as Talib, Ward and Ware will have.

              Every single time I see some article where the Pats are picked over Denver, reference is made to them getting injured players back and none of that argument is made for Denver. Denver had more players out because of injury, including starters and along with those starters returning added bigger and better pieces to the roster in free agency. The gap between teams was obvious in January, that gap has only widened since then.

              Also, I am still not sure why the hell Cincinnati is getting so much praise. They are the best team in the AFC North by default right now. And in a QB driven league, Dalton is just average. The playoffs are when you need either an elite shutdown defense and a good QB. Cincinnati falls short.

              Not seeing Indy as an elite team either. They are good and on the upswing, but they are at least 1 year away from being true contenders. I don't think Luck is ready to carry the team in the playoffs and make up for deficiencies that are present in the running game and on the defensive side of the ball. I know someone will bring up Russel Wilson as an example of a young QB getting to and winning the Super Bowl. While I believe Luck is a far superior QB, Wilson was not the reason that team got to or won the Super Bowl. It was won by defense. It was a Joe Flacco style Super Bowl win. Let the defense and running game get the job done and don't make mistakes to lose the game.

              The team that I think in the AFC that is being overlooked is San Diego. I think they are going to be Denver's biggest obstacle this season. Borderline elite QB, solid defense, good running game. San Diego is going to be a very good team this year.

              Comment


              • #37
                The argument for New England has everything to do with schedule. I'd handicap them as by far the most likely to win the #1 in the AFC. They have a cupcake schedule. Beating them in Foxboro in January is a really tall order.

                That said, they have no offensive line in front of Brady anymore. There are a lot of ifs surrounding that team. If they snag that #1 seed, however... well that'd be bad news.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by socalorado View Post
                  Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy or John Fox in a SB.
                  Who you takin?
                  That's the one area I not so confident about.
                  SB's are a "all or nothing" game, and I just not hyped about
                  Fox against these coaches. I would hope
                  Peyton would make up for it.
                  Don't know why you would think that. Peyton has not played well in any of the Super Bowls he's played in. His arm strength noticeably declined the last 4-6 games last year and likely will again. The Broncos do have the inside track to get back because the AFC is pretty mediocre, but I'll take the NFC team.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I havent seen a single writer pick the Seahawks to win the Super Bowl yet. They're clearly the team to beat and I dont see their division being as tough as most people think. I see the 49ers sliding a bit and the Hawks getting home field through the playoffs.

                    Wilson will only get better as he's playing to secure his 23 Million a year contract plus now add a healthy Harvin to the mix.

                    You're telling me Seattle with home-field throughout the playoffs is not the clear favorite? Only a ****in waterhead would pick the Patriots over the Seahawks. Yeah, the Pats run thru their division every year and out coach alot of their opponents, but what sane person can say the Patriots would ever outplay the Seahawks on a neutral field? They just dont have the talent on their roster.
                    Sherman vs Julian Fn' Edelman... that's laughable

                    Oh, and get ready for it- when Gronk and Amendola go down for Pats fan to start crying about their bad luck.. **** you.. They're hurt every year,, whos ****ing fault is it for relying on them??
                    Last edited by Oranges; 09-01-2014, 08:01 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by redrage View Post
                      Don't know why you would think that. Peyton has not played well in any of the Super Bowls he's played in. His arm strength noticeably declined the last 4-6 games last year and likely will again. The Broncos do have the inside track to get back because the AFC is pretty mediocre, but I'll take the NFC team.
                      This is an interesting observation and something the Broncos may want to study. Could more rest and less reps in practice be beneficial to Peyton down the stretch. Less strength training? IDK but you bring up an interesting point.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Oranges View Post
                        This is an interesting observation and something the Broncos may want to study. Could more rest and less reps in practice be beneficial to Peyton down the stretch. Less strength training? IDK but you bring up an interesting point.
                        Manning's injury was to nerves, we have been told they are rebuilding and that could take an undetermined length of time. Remember he could not throw a football ten yards early in his recovery. You are correct in saying Peyton's arm strength did lessen last season and the previous season. By all accounts his arm strength is noticeably improved this year and that was expected by his doctors. He may be fine now but your point is well taken it does need to be watched carefully. Hopefully we will have more games well in hand by the 4th quarter and Fox will be assertive enough to put Brock in the game. That will help both Peyton and Brock's game.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by baja View Post
                          Manning's injury was to nerves, we have been told they are rebuilding and that could take an undetermined length of time. Remember he could not throw a football ten yards early in his recovery. You are correct in saying Peyton's arm strength did lessen last season and the previous season. By all accounts his arm strength is noticeably improved this year and that was expected by his doctors. He may be fine now but your point is well taken it does need to be watched carefully. Hopefully we will have more games well in hand by the 4th quarter and Fox will be assertive enough to put Brock in the game. That will help both Peyton and Brock's game.
                          Two straight season's is enough of a trend for it to be an issue. Weather it be nerves or what have you, if week 14 or 15 roles around and we start seeing it again we can only hope the Broncos also see it.
                          I dont think less actual game reps is a legit option, but less after practice reps could be and what if it has something to do with temperature? Maybe more indoor practices. IDK, but theyre are people on the Broncos payroll who make alot of money who should know.
                          The point is we have enough of a sample size to atleast acknowledge it, look out for it and think of ways to rectify it.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by redrage View Post
                            Don't know why you would think that. Peyton has not played well in any of the Super Bowls he's played in. His arm strength noticeably declined the last 4-6 games last year and likely will again. The Broncos do have the inside track to get back because the AFC is pretty mediocre, but I'll take the NFC team.
                            Umm....no it didnt
                            Peyton Manning in the last 4 games of the regular season:
                            1352 yards
                            14 TDs
                            1 Int

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Despite the trolling from Seahawks and Chiefs fans, Manning did not turn into Alex Smith at the end of the season

                              We just need a comment about a hard sack breaking his neck to complete the trollage

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Oranges View Post
                                I havent seen a single writer pick the Seahawks to win the Super Bowl yet. They're clearly the team to beat and I dont see their division being as tough as most people think. I see the 49ers sliding a bit and the Hawks getting home field through the playoffs.

                                Wilson will only get better as he's playing to secure his 23 Million a year contract plus now add a healthy Harvin to the mix.

                                You're telling me Seattle with home-field throughout the playoffs is not the clear favorite? Only a ****in waterhead would pick the Patriots over the Seahawks. Yeah, the Pats run thru their division every year and out coach alot of their opponents, but what sane person can say the Patriots would ever outplay the Seahawks on a neutral field? They just dont have the talent on their roster.
                                Sherman vs Julian Fn' Edelman... that's laughable

                                Oh, and get ready for it- when Gronk and Amendola go down for Pats fan to start crying about their bad luck.. **** you.. They're hurt every year,, whos ****ing fault is it for relying on them??
                                Your'e right that it is ODD. But that is because no one has repeated to even make the playoffs in 8 years. And the hawks are best if they stay Healthy, which was a big part of what happened last year. It takes a good bit of luck to make it there without major injuries , and that happening twice is really not likely. Agree that the Pats aren't as good as the Hawks if it comes down t that.

                                I also don't think that NE is the class of the AFC and don't think they get HFA this year.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X