X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS Sports Season Predictions

Just some non-kicker related stuff -

SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Pete Prisco -- Denver Broncos: I think they've made some big improvements on defense with the additions of T.J. Ward, Aqib Talib and DeMarcus Ware. Plus, they get a lot of injured guys back, including left tackle Ryan Clady. They will be a better team in 2014 than a year ago, even if the record isn't better. But it will end better.

Jason La Canfora -- San Francisco 49ers: Jim Harbaugh's uncertain future gets cleared up real quick after he joins his brother in the Lombardi Trophy club, and then, in the $7-$8M a year club. This year could be the end for Frank Gore, Anquan Boldin and Justin Smith and several of them go out on top.

Pat Kirwan -- New England Patriots: The Patriots looked so impressive during my camp tour and the roster depth should be good enough to weather any storm except a Tom Brady injury, of course. When I reconvened with the team in a scrimmage against the Redskins, their no-huddle attack was back at full strength. New England got to the past two conference championship games with a significant number of younger players and backups, but now they look like a complete team.

Will Brinson -- New Orleans Saints (over the Steelers): The addition of Jairus Byrd on defense and Brandin Cooks on offense, plus figuring out how to run the ball well again with a crew of talented backs in Mark Ingram, Khiry Robinson, Travares Cadet and Pierre Thomas gives the Saints a balanced attack on both sides of the ball. A weakened NFC South means New Orleans can take hold of the division once again and storm out to a 13-3 record. Getting home field advantage means it's tough to take them down come the playoffs.

Josh Katzowitz -- Denver Broncos: Their defense will be better. Their offense will continue to be the best in the league. And oh yeah, Peyton Manning.

Ryan Wilson -- Green Bay Packers (over the Patriots): New England finally has a defense to rival those units from the early 2000s, back when the team last won a Lombardi Trophy. But it won't be enough against Aaron Rodgers, who will solidify his position as the NFL's best quarterback.

John Breech -- Denver Broncos: The only way I see the Broncos losing this game is if they play the Seahawks again and I don't see them playing the Seahawks again. John Elway has built a team that's better than any team I've ever built using Franchise Mode in Madden.

Continued at - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-are-our-picks
    Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM.

Bold NFL Predictions for 2014: Chargers will win the AFC West

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...n-the-afc-west

Comment

PETE PRISCO | Matchup: Broncos vs. Packers
      Winner, score: Broncos, 38-35

Why? This is a quarterback-pass rush league and I think both of these teams will be good in both areas. Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are arguably the two best QBs in the game. Each will have a special season in terms of numbers.

The Broncos added DeMarcus Ware to go with Von Miller, which means two good outside pass rushers. The Packers added Julius Peppers to go with Clay Matthews, also giving them two good outside rushers. That matters.

Rodgers and Manning will carry their teams to the Super Bowl, and both will have big games in it. But I think Manning's team is just a little better, which is why I see them making amends for that poor performance in last season's Super Bowl.

This is a new year. The line is better. They will protect him better in this one. And Manning will get that elusive second ring in what I think will be a classic for the ages.

JOHN BREECH | Matchup: Broncos vs. Saints
      Winner, score: Broncos, 30-20

Why? I keep trying to think of an AFC team that might beat the Broncos and I can only think of two: The Bengals and the Patriots. The problem with the Bengals is that Andy Dalton is on track to go through his entire life without winning a playoff game.

The problem with the Patriots is that I don't think New England has the firepower to compete with Denver and if the two teams meet in the playoffs, it will turn out like last year's AFC title game, a 26-16 Denver win.

If anyone has the the firepower to compete with Denver, it's New Orleans. The hardest part for the Saints is going to be getting through an NFC that includes strong contenders like the Seahawks and 49ers. I like the Seahawks a lot, but there's a reason no one's repeated as Super Bowl champs over the past decade and that reason is because it's borderline impossible these days.

The Saints' most difficult non-divisional games this year (Bengals, Packers, 49ers) are all at home and I think they'll do enough to earn the No. 1 seed in the NFC. That's going to be huge, because I don't see New Orleans getting to the Super Bowl if they get into the playoffs as a wild card.

JOSH KATZOWITZ | Matchup: Broncos vs. Saints
      Winner, score: Broncos, 35-28

Why? Denver had the NFL's No. 1 offense last season -- in fact, one of the best offenses in history -- and that shouldn't change in 2014. A Peyton Manning team will be among the best-scoring clubs, no matter who's around him. But this season, by adding DeMarcus Ware and Aqib Talib, the defense will be much better, too, making this team slightly more balanced.

After the Saints flamed out in 2012 without suspended coach Sean Payton and with a horrendous Steve Spagnuolo-led defense, New Orleans hired Rob Ryan as the defensive coordinator last season. Suddenly, a team that was dead last in defense in 2012 finished No. 4 last season. Combine that with Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham and rookie receiver Brandin Cooks, and you've got a squad that makes plenty of noise.

When these two squads meet in the Super Bowl, the Broncos -- by virtue of their high-powered offense, newly-improved defense and playoff experience -- will walk out with the victory, and Manning will match his brother Eli with two Super Bowl rings and two Super Bowl MVPs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ix-predictions

Comment

I am alright if a beat writer or tv guy doesn't pick the Broncos to win but some of these picks are horrible. Steelers making the playoffs? Good God that is a stretch. They have a ways to go before they are elite again. Bengals will finish ahead of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gutless Drunk View Post

Bold, and idiotic. At least on that first one.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
            I am alright if a beat writer or tv guy doesn't pick the Broncos to win but some of these picks are horrible. Steelers making the playoffs? Good God that is a stretch. They have a ways to go before they are elite again. Bengals will finish ahead of them.
            One guy has the Steelers in the SB.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronc0guy View Post
              One guy has the Steelers in the SB.
              Yeah, that is what I meant. Playoffs might not even happen. He had them at 12 wins. Are they playing Raiders and Jags 4 times each?

Comment

Bold Prediction:
                If all stay healthy, Denver will rival Seattle for the best defense in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                  Yeah, that is what I meant. Playoffs might not even happen. He had them at 12 wins. Are they playing Raiders and Jags 4 times each?
                  Afraid not. They may be improved but that is a huuuuuge reach.

Comment

Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy or John Fox in a SB.
                    Who you takin?
                    That's the one area I not so confident about.
                    SB's are a "all or nothing" game, and I just not hyped about
                    Fox against these coaches. I would hope
                    Peyton would make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronc0guy View Post
                      Bold, and idiotic. At least on that first one.
                      I take it that you didn't read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post
                        Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy or John Fox in a SB.
                        Who you takin?
                        That's the one area I not so confident about.
                        SB's are a "all or nothing" game, and I just not hyped about
                        Fox against these coaches. I would hope
                        Peyton would make up for it.
                        I'm with you on that. Id take those 3 in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by boltaneer View Post
                          I take it that you didn't read the article.
                          Correct. I assumed the guy was actually going to predict the Chargers would win the division, and my iPad died, so I did not. Will go do so right meow.

EDIT: Read it, makes more sense. Wasn't really a bold prediction though, saying the Chargers could win the west if Manning goes down.
                          Last edited by Bronc0guy; 08-26-2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gutless Drunk View Post

They had a few choices and they went with that one as #1. Chargers improved with coaching and Rivers doing much better. They made the playoffs so they are on a major uptick. They just are not good enough to beat a better team that has improved on defense.
                            Last edited by broncocalijohn; 08-26-2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Steelers finished the season strong last year. That is why most experts are claiming they will be up for a big year this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X