Wes Welker Future, Impact, and News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wes Welker Future, Impact, and News

Thoughts on what he should do? Who will take his place?

Personally, as somebody who suffers from numerous concussions, I think he should retire. The hit wasn't that hard and I don't want to think about how bad it would be if he actually did get hit hard.

I think Sanders should move to slot and Latimer should line up outside. I think the impact would be modest at first, especially on third downs, but I think the impact would be minimized as the season went along if Sanders, and especially Latimer, step up like I think they can.

Can Welker be put on the PUP?

I started this thread to avoid clicking on that douche bag ATL-Eric's thread

Initially, I think they should consider moving Caldwell outside and Sanders to the slot. Latimer has the physical skill set to be a terror on the outside, but does he know the offense well enough and have the chemistry with PFM to play extensively right out of the gate? Still think you need to ease him into games as a red zone threat and as a 4th WR initially.

Eventually though DT and Lat with Sanders in the slot seems to be ideal.

Comment

How about we wait to hear what Wes wants to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DBroncos4life View Post
        No ****.

Comment

Originally posted by DBroncos4life View Post
          That is boring, and it may not be his decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Rascal View Post
            Short-term it might not be, but long-term it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rascal View Post
              They are not going to force him to retire and Denver sure the heck isn't going to just release him now. There is plenty of time for him to get cleared before the season starts and there hasn't been any word on how bad he is at the moment.

Comment

With the NFL concussion protocols, I'd be shocked if we see him for the first half of the season.

Comment

If he retires, call TonyG.

If he doesnt retire, then Caldwell/Cody get more time, and extended roles for Tamme and Green i would guess while he's out.

Comment

I can't help but wonder if this was a "mild" concussion. He wasn't knocked cold, and he hopped up and walked to the sidelines almost immediately after being hit. Still troubling, of course.

Comment

The problem with Wes, is that as a WR you are going to get your head banged around. You're either going to get it hit like last night, or tackled into the ground. That's football. If a guy can give you a forearm to the head...when you're already wearing a huge egg helmet and you are concussed...it's over.

Now, that's not to say he doesn't come back and play...but the next big hit. It's over.

Comment

Well we could put him on IR designated to return. Not sure if the PUP
                        can be used...but that takes him out for 6 weeks minimum.

I guess it is going to depend on whether Welker wants to risk playing and getting ANOTHER one, after the doctors say he is good to go. I have no doubt he will be cleared eventually . Frankly, with his history, he probably SHOULD retire. But football is his life .

And he probably does want that ring...( there is NO guarantee he'll get one even now.)

Hard decision....I hope he makes it BEFORE the season starts.

Comment

He's practiced and played. PUP cannot be used.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottXray View Post
                            Well we could put him on IR designated to return. Not sure if the PUP
                            can be used...but that takes him out for 6 weeks minimum.

I guess it is going to depend on whether Welker wants to risk playing and getting ANOTHER one, after the doctors say he is good to go. I have no doubt he will be cleared eventually . Frankly, with his history, he probably SHOULD retire. But football is his life .

And he probably does want that ring...( there is NO guarantee he'll get one even now.)

Hard decision....I hope he makes it BEFORE the season starts.
                            I'd say that's probably pretty likely, even if it was a grade I. There really aren't any minor concussions with Wes anymore.

Comment

I agree it was probably a mild concussion at best. He'll be back soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X