Broncos vs Texans: Game Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos vs Texans: Game Notes

1. After signing Wes Welker, John Elway commented that the Broncos "treat players well". Welker's concussion history is extensive, and he only missed 1 game with NE. Now he gets concussed easily, probably from playing through so many before. I think Welker will play against the Colts, but I would sit him for a month.

2. Bradley Roby went from a head case to looking like the Broncos best CB. Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins are hard covers. Roby gains confidence by the week.

3. Peyton Manning's sack was on Chris Clark, but it wasn't really his fault. Clark was left with no leverage after a hand-off from Louis Vasquez.

4. Clowney didn't play, and Watt only played one series. A few weeks ago Ryan Clady said to give him "2 months" to see where he's at. One month to go, and Clady is progressing just fine after being out of football so long. He still misses some blocks in the run game, but he gets better every week.

5. Emmanuel Sanders nursed his quad injury until Manning called him Wednesday night. He even fake limped after a bomb attempt down the sideline. Sanders offers an element that the Broncos haven't had, even if he has a little diva in him. Welcome to the Broncos man.

6. Demarcus Ware is just money. He looks super-fluid dropping into coverage after spending a career as a 3-4 OLB. He knows just how deep to drop, keeping everything in front of him, and preventing the 1st down.

7. Von Miller almost cried in an interview after the game. He said, "I'll be ready for Indy". He's got a long way to go before he's back to 100%. The Broncos will have to continue to heavily monitor his snap count until he gains a lot more strength in his knee. I don't know how long that will take, but I'd wager he's limited until after the bye.

8. I think Kevin Vickerson showed enough to make the team. It's tough to gauge if he's still feeling discomfort or not, but I liked his performance for a first game back.

9. The Broncos have to be happy with all 4 RB's. All of them have something to offer, even Ronnie Hillman. CJ Anderson is a rumbler. Juwon Thompson is on a mission.

10. It's pretty sad when the Broncos Safeties fill holes faster than their LB's. Heal up quick Danny Trevathan.

11. Matt Prater gets suspended and got the yips back from 40-49. Couldn't be a more perfect opportunity for Mitch Ewald, and he blows it.

12. If it was me, I'd slowly work Chris Harris in to start the season. The emergence of Roby and Omar Bolden has to have everybody thrilled right now.

13. Isaiah Burse did what he had to do to win a roster spot tonight. Need a little more out of him next week, but it looks like the Broncos are all in.
    Last edited by pricejj; 08-24-2014, 02:41 AM.

I noticed The Texans had to double team Marvin Austin most of the night.

Comment

I'm know they do it well, but with Ware and especially Von, I hate seeing them drop into coverage. They have the athletic talent to do it, and they do it fine. However it is a waste of their true talents. You pay guys like Ware and Von to get sacks and cause mayhem at and behind the LOS. Dropping them into coverage, negates what makes them special.

Comment

You are wrong on the Peyton sack. it was clearly Vasquez's fault

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
          I'm know they do it well, but with Ware and especially Von, I hate seeing them drop into coverage. They have the athletic talent to do it, and they do it fine. However it is a waste of their true talents. You pay guys like Ware and Von to get sacks and cause mayhem at and behind the LOS. Dropping them into coverage, negates what makes them special.
          Versatility is a good thing!

These guys are so valuable because they arn't one trick ponies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rascal View Post
            I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Rascal View Post
              Vasquez and Clark double-teamed the 5-tech. Vasquez had to leave the 5-tech to catch the inside stunting OLB. Clark's responsibility became the 5-tech who sacked Manning, though Clark had no leverage when Vasquez left to block the inside stunter.

Clark's man sacked Manning.

Here are the players pre snap. You see the OLB and the 3-4 DE:
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pricejj; 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                Vasquez and Clark double-teamed the 5-tech. Vasquez had to leave the 5-tech to catch the inside stunting OLB. Clark's responsibility became the 5-tech who sacked Manning, though Clark had no leverage when Vasquez left to block the inside stunter.

Clark's man sacked Manning.
                it was a team effort. Vasquez made the wrong read to begin with.

Comment

I am not sure about Burse.... Would be very interested in kicking the tires on Cribbs, assuming he is in football shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
                    I am not sure about Burse....
                    yeah, i wasn't impressed. Mostly, because i couldn't figure out who he was with those ridiculous dreadlocks

get a haircut, hippy!

(this post is probably racist)

Comment

After the snap, the OLB takes stunts to the inside, while Vasquez and Clark have the 5-tech double-teamed:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Vasquez leaves the double-team on the 5-tech to catch the inside stunting OLB. Clark is left with ZERO leverage in the exchange.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
                          I am not sure about Burse.... Would be very interested in kicking the tires on Cribbs, assuming he is in football shape.
                          I think he has potential. He's obviously a young player and I think he's going to improve with coaching and playing time. Good teams always develop guys like Burse. The Burse we see now should not be the Burse we see in 8 weeks if the coaches do their job and Burse works hard.

Comment

Moments later, the 5-tech (Clark's man) sacks Manning:
                            Attached Files

Comment

I thought Burse actually did OK. He didn't drop any and he was TRYING to return , but pretty much got hit as soon as he caught the ball on most returns. He did have one where he got a small lane and used it OK.

Our ST blocking was horrible (again) and there really wasn't much he could do.

Special Teams are continuing to be a problem. Hopefully that gets straightened out, now that cuts are coming. When we have our final roster set that BETTER improve.

Comment

Working...
                              X