Broncos at 49ers: Preseason Game Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos at 49ers: Preseason Game Notes

Great start Harbaugh, so far you've been outscored 54-3. Let's get to it.

1. Peyton Manning said he thought he could run it in for a TD. Love to see a run threat out of the MVP, might need that later. I'll put $5 on Manning vs. Knighton.

2. Would be nice for you to see some game action Emmanuel Sanders. Can't get to "Wide Receiver Heaven" holding your jock strap.

3. Huge confidence booster for Bradley Roby, now that he realizes not every NFL QB is as good as Peyton Manning. He snapped out of the funk delivering timely blows in run support and keeping his WR underneath for short gains. Roby was in position for the pick that Bolden dropped.

4. Omar Bolden looks good at Nickel CB. Has ample short-area athleticism to challenge the slot. Broke up a huge pass early in the game on 3rd down.

5. Tony Carter makes the team. What can I say? Louis Young has been MIA since suffering the groin injury.

6. Aqib Talib knocks away first pass of the game. Later he craftily dives at Lloyd's feet on a TD try go route, effectively grounding the WR for an incomplete. Delivers big blow on run stop again. Looks to be worth every penny.

7. T.J. Ward crowds the LOS and lives in the backfield. So strange to see an SS making a habit of pressuring the QB.

8. 49ers OL slows down Broncos blitzkrieg. Still can't keep Malik Jackson from penetrating with a hand up, or Terrance Knighton from his weekly decapitations.

9. Sly Williams doesn't fall down once, and holds up well at the POA. Marvin Austin continues to outperform his NC alum.

10. If Kevin Vickerson ain't back yet, that dude might not be coming back. Heard he was looking a little dejected this week.

11. Brandon Marshall closes holes nicely and isn't afraid of contact. He'll fit in just fine for Danny Trevathan. Still has work to do to gel with Nate Irving, but it's nice to see his aggression filling a big role.

12. If this game was Mike Tyson's Punch-out, Demaryius Thomas is the jab and Julius Thomas is the super uppercut.

13. I guess this quells all the "Osweiler = Tebow" talk. A Klis apology letter would be appropriate. Oz looked masterful, even if the backup OL couldn't block Tank Carradine.

14. Cody Latimer knocks out Bethea with a Butkus-like shoulder pop to the chin, then catches a beautiful 40 yard rainbow TD. 49ers wish they had one WR as good as our 5th. Cody is the real deal.

15. Welcome to the NFL Michael Schofield. Hopefully he tries a little p90x this season. He's got A LOT of work to do.

16. Looks like Paul Cornick makes the team as the Swing Tackle. Which is fine with me. Winston Justice is officially 5th Tackle on the depth chart, save that $1M and spend it elsewhere.

17. Will Montgomery double-teams to help Vinston Painter, while letting a blitzer run right through the A gap to Oz unimpeded in the redzone. Paradise would be if Matt Paradis made the squad. I'd say he's got about as good a chance of that as the 49ers have of scoring.

18. Somebody please tell me what the heck the Broncos are doing with Mitch Ewald? I think they're just toying with my emotions.

19. Anybody want to bet Juwon Thompson is featured on this weeks edition of "That's Good Broncos"? That there is how it's done. Consistently violent.

20. Charles Mitchell may have just played himself onto an NFL team. Whether or not it's with the Broncos.
    Last edited by pricejj; 08-18-2014, 01:38 AM.

Mitchell and Murphy were tough SOBs in that last drive for the 49ers. They seemed to take it personal to hold them to zero points. Marshall is using the breaks (or unfortunate breaks for those injured) and making the most of it. I still don't like the whole package at LB especially with Trevathan out for another 6 weeks minimum. Strong in other areas so hopefully young guys can get some reps. Irving needs to step it up this season.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
      Mitchell and Murphy were tough SOBs in that last drive for the 49ers. They seemed to take it personal to hold them to zero points. Marshall is using the breaks (or unfortunate breaks for those injured) and making the most of it. I still don't like the whole package at LB especially with Trevathan out for another 6 weeks minimum. Strong in other areas so hopefully young guys can get some reps. Irving needs to step it up this season.
      Thought Murphy looked pretty good the whole game, the PF on him earlier was BOGUS. Agree about the LB's still haven't seen anything from Barrow worth mentioning "other than he can't shed OL blockers" . Steven Johnson seems to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Comment

Working...
      X