Random thoughts from the SF Preseason Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thoughts from the SF Preseason Game

-Amazing how entrenched Jordan Norwood has become in such a short period of time not only as PR/KR, but also taking impact snaps on offense. He didn't do much with it, only a 1 catch, 3 yards but he's obviously making the most of his opportunity.

-Orlando Franklin : Looked great on offense at guard. He's huge enough where he's hard to run around and definitely not through as a pass blocker and when he puts his body on you in the run game, he gets a lot of movement off the ball. He was putting Ray McDonald on skates today.

-Jacob Tamme : Denver went into a 3 TE formation w/ Green outside Clark, Thomas outside him and Tamme in the backfield playing as an h-back. Something to watch moving forward. He's not very physical but could be dangerous on short yardage packages.

-Offensive line : What a beautiful pocket today especially on the 1st team units. Best Oline we've had since 97'.

-Give Manny Ramirez some love. He's the least heralded guy on our OL, and the guy is just a rock.

-Manning got DT lathered up the past couple weeks. Julius got into the action against SF. It will be great to see what Sanders eventually brings to this team.

-Lots of quality DB's attempting to make this team. Boyette is a missile. Looks like Ihenacho last year. PLaying well on special teams may be the difference. Duke missed a couple tackles on kick coverage.

-Silent but solid game by both Omar Bolden and Bradley Roby. Omar handled all the nickel duties with Webster/Harris out of the game. He has elite level athletic ability which is why he's stuck all this time. It appears he may finally be putting it together. Roby gets dogged a little bit because of a rough camp getting torched by Manning, but he acquitted himself well out on the field. His physicalness is apparent and his teammates are rubbing off on him. Roby and Kayvon Webster show well as 2 way CB's moving forward for us playing the pass and run effectively.

-Mixed package in Brandon Marshall's first start. Shows nice quickness on the field. Made a couple bad run fits and picked wrong holes on some of the early successful runs for the SF offense. He came back and made a few tackles around the LOS in the 2nd quarter.

-Didn't see much in the way of pass rush from our starting defensive line. SF has one of the better offensive lines in the league plus Kaepernick is a guy that you really need to stay in your lanes while rushing the passer.

-Michael Schofield : A couple of nasty lookout blocks for the backs and QB's during the 1st half. Had a false start too and should have had a 2nd. Looks pretty raw and probably will require a year of development to help fill out. If he could somehow end up on IR, it would probably be best for this years team that way Denver could keep Justice and another player who might be more game ready this year. Those players might be V. Painter or even Paul Cornick who's manning the 2nd team LT position.

Just finished re-watching the 1st half. I'll post more 2nd half notes when I see them.

Good job. What a great game. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string all did great. 34-0. Even through it's preseason, I bet Harbaugh is pissed!

For those of us without NFL Replay...

Broncos vs. 49ers Pre-season Highlights 2014
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...ers-highlights

Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 08-17-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Nice write up, BPC!

I was very impressed by our 1st string line today. I didn't hear Aldon Smith's name mentioned once, and I'm honestly not sure how long he played. Dude was supposedly the star of the 9ers camp, too!

Hopefully Brandon Marshall will improve some in the running game. This defense is going to be a nightmare with all the starters at full strength.

Comment

What about " Truckin" Thompson?

Comment

I thought Thompson looked good.
          The starting O line looked very good.
          Bibbs looked good on special teams. Special teams as a whole look improved.
          Where was Ware?
          I'm not sure I'm sold on Hillman. He didn't look that much better than Anderson or Thompson. Especially considering he was playing with a better O line.
          I hav eno idea what to think of Tony Carter.

I am really pleased to see that the emphasis on ball security seems to be paying off. Why did they wait so long to do this?

Comment

Everything so far has been trending up for this team...
            Incredible top-notch depth in just about anywhere, I think the first round of cuts as usual would be relatively easy compared to the next one
            Everyone has been given the chance to be on the field and that has yielded good results. Nice strategy, they're making sure they won't be overlooking anyone.

Comment

It seems inevitable that some good players are going to be cut. Is there any chance some of them could be traded?

Comment

I liked the way Austin held his ground in the run game.

I am seeing what their talking about from smith and 68.

Looks as though Thompson wasn't able to replicate his success this week.

Hilman looked better. Anderson looked a little more hesitant. But some of the run blocking later wasn't that great.

Id like to see unrien over vickerson.

Fowler is gonna make a roster somewhere.

Hope loius Murphy makes the roster

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
                  Good job. What a great game. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string all did great. 34-0. Even through it's preseason, I bet Harbaugh is pissed!

For those of us without NFL Replay...

Broncos vs. 49ers Pre-season Highlights 2014
                  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...ers-highlights

those highlights are from last year.. lol

Comment

Clady was totally shutting Aldon Smith down on the 1st drive. Chris Clark looked slightly better than last week and did a decent job in pass protection against Ahmad Brooks.

Our pass rush looked a little stymied at times in the 1st quarter. SF did a good job of committing to the run & slowing down our pass rush w/ play action. SF also kept running away from Ware's side. Can't wait till Von returns!

Comment

Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
                      those highlights are from last year.. lol
                      . Dammit, you wernt supposed to say anything. I thought somebody would fall for it and give a huge write up based on that

I am so drunk

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
                        Even through it's preseason, I bet Harbaugh is pissed!
                        Is he ever not? He might as well get "Warning: Contents Under Pressure" tattooed on his forehead.

Comment

Clark looked like he was getting bent backwards and pushed too much. After looking at it a couple of times the first thing Brooks did to him was put a hand on Clark's facemask and push his head up and back.

Comment

Originally posted by lookin' glass View Post
                            Clark looked like he was getting bent backwards and pushed too much. After looking at it a couple of times the first thing Brooks did to him was put a hand on Clark's facemask and push his head up and back.
                            He gave up ground, but it was often to the outside and he held up enough to give Manning the time he needed. Much improved from last week.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post
                              What about " Truckin" Thompson?

Ha ha good one or " TT " for short

Comment

Working...
                              X