Who Is The Better Quarterback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
    I hate that lack of options argument so many have for his decline in play. Until Denver and a couple seasons in Indy, Peyton never had multiple great receiving options. it was constantly nameless guys he turned into pro bowlers.

Also, Brady had a lot of guys who pitched in and made up for losses in the passing game

Edelman over 100 receptions and 1000 yards
    Vereen out of the backfield with over 40 receptions and 400 yards
    Gronk almost 40 receptions and 600 yards in a injury shortened year
    Amendola over 50 receptions and 600 yards
    Dobson almost 40 receptions and over 500 yards
    Thompkins over 30 receptions and over 400 yards

His receiving options get talked about as being weak because they aren't big names and production was spread around amongst 6 guys as opposed to 3.

Point remains the same, he isn't elite anymore.
    I don't really get this?

Comment

Manning over Brady 22-1 ... (that's odd, it was 22-0 when I opened the thread).

I'll tell you what this is, this is a:

Comment

Originally posted by errand View Post
        What kind of team are the Pats without Brady? Yes, he deserves top 3 consideration ...
        Matt Cassel lead team that won 11 games?

But I do think Brady is still an elite QB.

Comment

( "Oh no, am I really gonna do this? Honestly I would like to retire this soapbox, especially at times like
          .. these, when I know nobody's gonna agree with me. Despite the fact my points are borderline airtight.
          .. *SIGH* Okay, here we go ... "
          )

PEYTON MANNING is truly phenomenal, but
          TOM BRADY is a level above that. In fact he is
          among the 5-10 best football players ever. Further,
          BILL BELICHICK is the most overrated man in
          all of sports, BRADY deserves the credit he gets.

Best way to prove all this is to illustrate the NIGHT and DAY difference in Belichick's fortunes WITH and WITHOUT Brady at quarterback:

1991-1995 - Despite 5 straight winning records and 4 Division Titles immediately preceding his arrival, BILL BELICHICK goes 36-44 as Browns Head Coach, 1 winning season in 5. After his fifth year, Browns franchise folds.

2000-2001(Wk 2) - Pats hadn't had a losing record in five years, but Bill went 5-11 his first season, and 0-2 to start 2001. An ugly 0-2. No doubt he was on his was to a 6th losing season in 7 as a head coach. But ... the injury gods smiled on Belichick, despite himself. In comes TOM BRADY, who smashes Peyton Manning and the Colts 44-13 in his first NFL start. Smashed 'em again two weeks later (combined score 82-30) (Thus Brady was principal motivator of HOF quote, "P-P-PLAY-offs?! I just hope we can win a game!") Brady takes 0-2 team and goes 14-3 the rest of the way, including Patriots' first Super Bowl win.

1997 - If not for David Tyree's helmet, TOM BRADY wins 4 Super Bowls his first 7 seasons (steady), including 19-0. In seven seasons without Tom, Bill Belichick went to the playoffs just once.

2008 - Best argument against my thesis. It's true, less than 10 minutes into the season, DOWN goes Brady! Lifelong backup Matt Cassell led team to 11-5 record. But LOOK CLOSER: Despite the record, 2008 was the only season Pats didn't win their division, and the only season they didn't make the playoffs.

2000-2014 - Yup, other than his 2nd season, TOM BRADY has won the AFC East and gone to the playoffs every.single.freaking.year. That's right. 12 seasons as a starter, 11 Division titles. Bill Belichick has NEVER won a division title without Brady at quarterback, an 11-7 title record.

The facts seem clear to me ... there is no indication - based on results - that Belichick would have done anything worth remembering without Tom Brady. Brady might not quite equal Montana, but he had no Jerry Rice. No doubt he's been sliding some the past couple years, but until somebody (anybody) can beat him out to win the AFC East, he's the man.

FINALLY, one last screw to the wall: Bill Belichick, master talent evaluator...? Urhhh, no. Tom Brady spent his entire rookie season backing up Drew Bledsoe. Then the next offseason as backup. Belichick must have sensed the awesome talent of the Hall-of-Fame QB in waiting, right? NOPE. Instead, he and Krafty Bob gave Bledsoe an all-time record 10-year, $103 million dollar extension, richest deal ever in pro football. Belichick was all smiles, and was quoted saying "Tom ... Tom who?"

Don't ask me why Belichick is so overrated, cause I don't know why. I just know he is.

Comment

I hate that lack of options argument so many have for his decline in play. Until Denver and a couple seasons in Indy, Peyton never had multiple great receiving options. it was constantly nameless guys he turned into pro bowlers.

Also, Brady had a lot of guys who pitched in and made up for losses in the passing game

Edelman over 100 receptions and 1000 yards
            Vereen out of the backfield with over 40 receptions and 400 yards
            Gronk almost 40 receptions and 600 yards in a injury shortened year
            Amendola over 50 receptions and 600 yards
            Dobson almost 40 receptions and over 500 yards
            Thompkins over 30 receptions and over 400 yards

His receiving options get talked about as being weak because they aren't big names and production was spread around amongst 6 guys as opposed to 3.

Point remains the same, he isn't elite anymore.
            You are completely missing the point, and ironically making the counter point:

Read that list again - except for the injured Gronk, the rest are scrubs. Bums, the lot of 'em. Tommy took that pile of s#@t to the AFCCG last year.

When Elway was doing the same, he was anointed Jesus in Cleats (and rightfully so).

Football is more than stats. Hopefully someday you'll get that.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
              ( "Oh no, am I really gonna do this? Honestly I would like to retire this soapbox, especially at times like
              .. these, when I know nobody's gonna agree with me. Despite the fact my points are borderline airtight.
              .. *SIGH* Okay, here we go ... "
              )

PEYTON MANNING is truly phenomenal, but
              TOM BRADY is a level above that. In fact he is
              among the 5-10 best football players ever. Further,
              BILL BELICHICK is the most overrated man in
              all of sports, BRADY deserves the credit he gets.

Best way to prove all this is to illustrate the NIGHT and DAY difference in Belichick's fortunes WITH and WITHOUT Brady at quarterback:

1991-1995 - Despite 5 straight winning records and 4 Division Titles immediately preceding his arrival, BILL BELICHICK goes 36-44 as Browns Head Coach, 1 winning season in 5. After his fifth year, Browns franchise folds.

2000-2001(Wk 2) - Pats hadn't had a losing record in five years, but Bill went 5-11 his first season, and 0-2 to start 2001. An ugly 0-2. No doubt he was on his was to a 6th losing season in 7 as a head coach. But ... the injury gods smiled on Belichick, despite himself. In comes TOM BRADY, who smashes Peyton Manning and the Colts 44-13 in his first NFL start. Smashed 'em again two weeks later (combined score 82-30) (Thus Brady was principal motivator of HOF quote, "P-P-PLAY-offs?! I just hope we can win a game!") Brady takes 0-2 team and goes 14-3 the rest of the way, including Patriots' first Super Bowl win.

1997 - If not for David Tyree's helmet, TOM BRADY wins 4 Super Bowls his first 7 seasons (steady), including 19-0. In seven seasons without Tom, Bill Belichick went to the playoffs just once.

2008 - Best argument against my thesis. It's true, less than 10 minutes into the season, DOWN goes Brady! Lifelong backup Matt Cassell led team to 11-5 record. But LOOK CLOSER: Despite the record, 2008 was the only season Pats didn't win their division, and the only season they didn't make the playoffs.

2000-2014 - Yup, other than his 2nd season, TOM BRADY has won the AFC East and gone to the playoffs every.single.freaking.year. That's right. 12 seasons as a starter, 11 Division titles. Bill Belichick has NEVER won a division title without Brady at quarterback, an 11-7 title record.

The facts seem clear to me ... there is no indication - based on results - that Belichick would have done anything worth remembering without Tom Brady. Brady might not quite equal Montana, but he had no Jerry Rice. No doubt he's been sliding some the past couple years, but until somebody (anybody) can beat him out to win the AFC East, he's the man.

FINALLY, one last screw to the wall: Bill Belichick, master talent evaluator...? Urhhh, no. Tom Brady spent his entire rookie season backing up Drew Bledsoe. Then the next offseason as backup. Belichick must have sensed the awesome talent of the Hall-of-Fame QB in waiting, right? NOPE. Instead, he and Krafty Bob gave Bledsoe an all-time record 10-year, $103 million dollar extension, richest deal ever in pro football. Belichick was all smiles, and was quoted saying "Tom ... Tom who?"

Don't ask me why Belichick is so overrated, cause I don't know why. I just know he is.
              You make some valid points re: Bellycheat is overrated. But Tommy is not "a level above" Peyton.

The Cheatriots, with Tommy, haven't won a Super Bowl in 10 years.

And the AFC East has perennially been a soft division - dominating it isn't really something to brag about.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                Matt Cassel lead team that won 11 games?

But I do think Brady is still an elite QB.
                Yes a team that went 18-1 the season prior with Brady.

Comment

Am I the only person who doesn't think Brady ranks top 3 anymore? Manning, Brees, Rivers and Foles outplayed him last season. Rodgers when healthy is superior. Stafford, Luck and Newton played at basically the same level and are only now about to start entering their primes, while he is in obvious decline.
                  With his receiving core you could argue that he did better than Peyton. The amount of drops were insane early season, and that comeback against our Broncos was pretty impressive.

Brady's ability to get the job done is impressive and like we would not do a straight Peyton for Brady swap, I am sure the same goes for Patriots fans. Still Gold Standard!

Comment

My vote goes to whichever QB can rip a dick off the fastest.

Comment

1. Manning

2. Brees

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Tom Brady

Comment

Russell Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by ManningTebow View Post
                          Russell Wilson
                          Yeah....right.

Comment

Originally posted by ManningTebow View Post
                            Russell Wilson
                            Lulz.

No.

Comment

Five trips to the SB and three wins (with two SB MVPs). I go with Brady.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                                Five trips to the SB and three wins (with two SB MVPs). I go with Brady.
                                What have you done for me lately?

Comment

Working...
                                X