Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

last years pass D with Von: 6th. w/o: 32nd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last years pass D with Von: 6th. w/o: 32nd.

link

MHR: How did the Broncos' defense compare in 2013 with Von Miller in the lineup and without him?

FO: I feel like I should spend a lot more time shouting this from the rooftops, so here it is: In the games Von Miller played last year, the Broncos pass defense DVOA ranked sixth in the league. In the games Von Miller missed last year, the Broncos had the worst pass defense in football. The run defense was still good without him-slightly better, even-but the secondary got lit up. Chris Harris played well. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie had an outstanding season by our charting numbers, though when he did get burned it sometimes went for big yardage. The rest of the secondary had too many problems, especially once Rahim Moore went down.

Go back to the Super Bowl. If there's one story that was undercovered, it was Seattle's success on third downs in the first half. Wilson to Kearse for 12 yards on third-and-9. Wilson to Tate for 9 yards on third-and-7. Wilson to Baldwin for 6 yards on third-and-4. Wilson to Baldwin for 37 yards on third-and-5. Pass interference on Tony Carter to convert third-and-4. Get a couple stops in there instead of allowing all those conversions, and maybe Smith's pick-6 isn't the backbreaker it was.

Aqib Talib for DRC is probably about an even swap, but DeMarcus Ware is an upgrade over Shaun Phillips, Bradley Roby is a really talented player, and T.J. Ward is a guy who could really have a big impact. With them, maybe Peyton Manning won't have to win every game on his own if Miller is slow to recovery from his torn ACL or misses time for any other reason.
    I knew this was the case but didn't have the stats to show it last season. DVOA accounts for strength of opponent and the like, much more advanced analysis.

Anyways, I found this interesting and gives me great hope for our secondary.

Originally posted by mwill07 View Post
    link

I knew this was the case but didn't have the stats to show it last season. DVOA accounts for strength of opponent and the like, much more advanced analysis.

Anyways, I found this interesting and gives me great hope for our secondary.
    Interesting article but in all of our losses last season (except maybe new england) i would say that the bigger problem by far was our inability to handle defensive pressure against very aggressive teams. Not only is Manning imobile but he is not great at improving after things break down. Its just not his game. He needs to be able to plan and execute according to the plan. Perhaps this is one reason that he has less trophies than you would expect and big ben has more: in at least one game in every playoff race, things will not go at all how you planned them and you must adjust on the fly both in game and in situation.

Back to the topic.. If Ware stays healthy and returns to form, not that big of an if, it will both help miller and cushion the blow if miller is slow to get bafk to where he was or has additional issues. Im not worried about our pass rush and i think our secondary is very solid. It would be nice to have one more vet cb that isnt named tony carter but even sticky man can be effective if he doesnt have to cover all day.

The Super Bowl left us all shell shocked but aside from that one game our defense had been pretty darn effective all season long. And it got better over the offseason!

Comment

Takeaways... Thats where we can improve the most.

Comment

Originally posted by SportinOne View Post
        Agree. More takeaways and more QB pressures. I think this defense will be better than the one we had 2 years ago.

Comment

Miller is a game-wrecker. I would kill to have a player like him.

Comment

...i would say that the bigger problem by far was our inability to handle defensive pressure against very aggressive teams. Not only is Manning imobile but he is not great at improving after things break down. Its just not his game. He needs to be able to plan and execute according to the plan. Perhaps this is one reason that he has less trophies than you would expect and big ben has more: in at least one game in every playoff race, things will not go at all how you planned them and you must adjust on the fly both in game and in situation.
            I agree with this. PM really does need to be "comfortable" to be effective, and he sometimes struggles when he's not. The was most notably the case in the Super Bowl. I've been saying all along that our biggest issue in that game was the O-line, and I'm hopeful the the return of Clady can help the Broncos improve in that area.

But, regarding the thread topic, if our D is better, and it should be with the return of injured starters and the new additions, it will take pressure off of PM and the O and will go a long ways towards making this team a potential Super Bowl contender.

Comment

I said it before and I will say it again, the team will win the Super Bowl if Miller plays every game.

Comment

Very interesting. Now, with a combination of ware and von? sky is the limit.
                Not to mention with the presence of those two, the interior pass rush will benefit greatly.

Man I'm excited!

Comment

Interesting article but in all of our losses last season (except maybe new england) i would say that the bigger problem by far was our inability to handle defensive pressure against very aggressive teams. Not only is Manning imobile but he is not great at improving after things break down. Its just not his game. He needs to be able to plan and execute according to the plan. Perhaps this is one reason that he has less trophies than you would expect and big ben has more: in at least one game in every playoff race, things will not go at all how you planned them and you must adjust on the fly both in game and in situation.
                  No doubt that our offensive line having one of the worse games of the season contributed greatly to our blowout in the Superbowl. But if you look deeper into the same article you will note that there were several third and long yardage situations were the Broncos defense was simply unable to get off of the field against Seattle. If the Broncos were able to get stops on just over half of these situations, it is easily a 17 point swing in the first two quarters, before things really started getting out of control.

Even when he isn't having his best day, you want to give Manning as many possession as possible because he will eventually get into rhythm and start finding soft points in the opposing defense. Hopefully, our offensive line reshuffle will bear fruit as the season progresses as well. So far it looks like we have massively upgraded the left side of the line without weakening the right side too much. Time will tell.

Comment

2012 defense was what #2 in the league. This is why I have been saying Miller coming back and playing to his all pro level trumps anything NE has coming back.

He affects the whole defense and game plans for an OC. If D Ware can stay heathly , I don't know how teams can combat our edge rushers

By Von just being on the field, it makes the offense shorthanded because they have to account for him on every play usally with two players or a back/TE has to stay in to chip him

Even with his drug problems, Denver has to pay the man. He's that kind of generational player.

Comment

This. Takeaways usually give good field position. Give the offense even more possessions and it shouldn't be a problem scoring into the 30 or more. I cannot see this defense when HEALTHY giving up that many points consistently.

Comment

Even in a down year the stats show just how good Von is. He was still amongst league leaders in QB Hurries only playing half a season.

Lighter, healthy, with a game changer opposite of him and with his mind right Von will take that step and be known as the best pass rusher in the game.

Comment

Article seems to be proving the point that I made a long time ago, right after the SB loss. Fix the friggen defense 'cause they sucked. They could not get off the field on third down.

Comment

One of the disadvantages to Manning is he puts extra pressure on his own defense especially if they run that no huddle crap. IMO time of possession is much more important than number of possessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
                              Article seems to be proving the point that I made a long time ago, right after the SB loss. Fix the friggen defense 'cause they sucked. They could not get off the field on third down.
                              Defense stood in the red zone for a couple field goals early.

Our first half offense drive summary:
                              Safety
                              3 n out
                              INT on our own 35
                              INT Pick 6
                              Failed 4th down conversion

I'll never blame the defense for what happened in February. Makes no sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X