Broncos vs. Seahawks - Game Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos vs. Seahawks - Game Notes

Coming in, I expected to see the Broncos compete physically with the Seahawks, having been victims to Seattle's aggression in the previous three meetings. I wanted to see the Broncos punch the Seahawks in the mouth, while physically dominating them in all aspects of the game. That's indeed what happened. Let's get to it.

1. Saying this was one of the most atrocious officiated games in NFL history, would not be an exaggeration. Broncos 1st teamers were called for 8 penalties (all highly questionable). Seahawks 1st teamers were called for 3 (all obvious offsides). Seattle only picked up one legitimate 1st down in almost 2 quarters against the Broncos starters, a scramble by Russell Wilson.

Broncos starters - 8 objectionable penalties (83 yards)
    Seajawks starters - 3 offsides penalties (15 yards)

2. Demarcus Ware absolutely dominated in his first game as a Bronco. Ware is faster than Russell Wilson and hunted him down like an hungry lion. Von Miller is even faster. There is not a QB in the NFL who stands a chance if both players are healthy.

3. Quanterus Smith and Lerentee McCray have shown remarkable progress from last year. Every Defensive Lineman the Broncos will keep has unique ability to create pressure in waves. Best DL in Broncos history, no question.

4. Even a double-team can't knock Terrance Knighton off the ball. One swipe from his arm nearly decapitated the Center on one play, enabling Knighton unimpeded progress to the QB. On another he clothes-lined the RB, forcing 4th down. Kevin Vickerson's return gives the Broncos a duo that threatens to collapse the pocket on every single play. No joke.

5. Despite being cut-blocked repeatedly, Sly Williams picks up where he left off. He slides down the line well, and was in position to make the stop on 4th and short had Wilson not fumbled the exchange. Marvin Austin penetrated with the one's, and decimated the two's for a sack right up the middle. Did I mention these guys come in waves?

6. Derek Wolfe fans rejoice. On one play, Wolfe was double-teamed at the POA playing 5-tech. He held the double-team without giving any ground and slid all the way down the LOS towards the sideline. As the RB made his cut, Wolfe broke the double-team and fiercely solo tackled the RB for a loss, in an amazing display of strength. On another play, Wolfe at 3-tech flushed and pursued Wilson forcing an incomplete.

7. Malik Jackson crushed Wilson splitting a double-team from 5-tech in base Defense. On the interior, pressure from Jackson with a hand up is almost guaranteed. You can't gameplan against everybody. Teams will regret if they don't gameplan against Jackson.

8. John Lynch said T.J. Ward led all DB's in TFL's in 2013. The SS is a menace with speed and ability to spin while staying on his feet in the pass rush. Nickel Defense did not suffer with Ward at LB. Could have used slightly better tackling technique on facemask penalty. Rahim Moore looked good with an open-field tackle. Quinton Carter subbed in seamlessly. Wilson didn't even try throwing down the field.

9. Aqib Talib was falsely flagged while legally contacting the WR within the 5 yard boundary. After that he played off coverage like Sherman. Sherman is intelligent and knows when to deflect attention from himself. Kayvon Webster was somewhat disappointing by giving up some easy receptions in off coverage. Wilson didn't throw Omar Bolden's way with the one's.

10. Nate Irving showed his signature ability to make plays in the open-field, hunting down ballcarriers in the flats like a banshee. Danny Trevathan bailed out Irving (behind in pass coverage) with a tackle for minimal gain on an RB running across the middle.
    Last edited by pricejj; 08-10-2014, 05:02 PM.

Nice Price.

I'm gonna start calling you "The Price is Right"

You gonna do the Offense and ST's right?

Comment

The refs made us look worse than we actually were, and made the Seahawks look better than they actually were.

Handed Wilson that touchdown on a silver platter, and Peyton drove for a full 9 minutes to score.
      Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 08-10-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

11. Ryan Clady still has an unmatched first step, stoning Michael Bennett repeatedly and anyone else who rushed against him. Bennett was so frustrated from being physically dom inated that he tried to tear off Julius Thomas' helmet, after Clady body-slammed him in the endzone. JT showed great awareness by getting a hand on an edge-rusher enabling Manning time to compose himself on the errant snap.

12. Orlando Franklin at pulling guard is unfair. In one play, Franklin was still blocking 10 yards downfield, as Hillman gained 9 over RG. All Mebane could do is put a hand up in pass rush.

13. Chris Clark only gave up one pressure against Bennett, while stoning Avril. Manny Ramirez pushed Bennett on the one pressure, causing Bennett to land on the ground close to Manning's feet. I'll take it. ManRam is durable and powerful. Looking good, except for another errant snap.

14. Demaryious Thomas is unstoppable against the Seahawks, again making Byron Maxwell look like JV, while dragging Seahawks all over the field.

15. Bubba Caldwell with a clutch reception against Sherman in off coverage, banging helmets down inside the 5.

16. Peyton Manning masterfully dominated the entire Seahawks Defense at will, only being off target on 2 throws. This is what the Seahawks look like without the benefit of committing illegal contact on every play.

17. Brock Osweiler has improved immensely from last year. He has a long way to go, but shows promise with improved decision making ability, and beautifully delivered on-time throws all over the field. Osweiler has upped his game and continues to improve. Excited to see him the rest of the preseason.
        Last edited by pricejj; 08-10-2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
          Nice Price.

I'm gonna start calling you "The Price is Right"

You gonna do the Offense and ST's right?
          I might do the 2's later. I can only take so much Tony Corrente in one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
            The refs made us look worse than we actually were, and made the Seahawks look better than they actually were.

Yes, The second drive they could not stop us even with all the terrible calls Manning still marched it down the field in an "In your face" manner

Our Defense was other worldly that first series and clearly set the defensive tone for the rest of the time the 1's were in there and the subs carried the same attitude if just a little less skillfully.

ST's was swarming. Loved how the great Earl Thomas was able to take a half of a step before he was corralled by a great open field take down by Bolden.

This is going to be a season for the ages if we can stay healthy

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
              11. Ryan Clady still has an unmatched first step, stoning Michael Bennett repeatedly and anyone else who rushed against him. Bennett was so frustrated from being physically dom inated that he tried to tear off Julius Thomas' helmet, after Clady body-slammed him in the endzone. JT showed great awareness by getting a hand on an edge-rusher enabling Manning time to compose himself on the errant snap.

12. Orlando Franklin at pulling guard is unfair. In one play, Franklin was still blocking 10 yards downfield, as Hillman gained 9 over RG. All Mebane could do is put a hand up in pass rush.

13. Chris Clark only gave up one pressure against Bennett, while stoning Avril. Manny Ramirez pushed Bennett on the one pressure, causing Bennett to land on the ground close to Manning's feet. I'll take it. ManRam is durable and powerful. Looking good, except for another errant snap.

14. Demaryious Thomas is unstoppable against the Seahawks, again making Byron Maxwell look like JV, while dragging Seahawks all over the field.

15. Bubba Caldwell with a clutch reception against Sherman in off coverage, banging helmets down inside the 5.

16. Peyton Manning masterfully dominated the entire Seahawks Defense at will, only being off target on 2 throws. This is what the Seahawks look like without the benefit of committing illegal contact on every play.

17. Brock Osweiler has improved immensely from last year. He has a long way to go, but shows promise with improved decision making ability, and beautifully delivered on-time throws all over the field. Osweiler has upped his game and continues to improve. Excited to see him the rest of the preseason.

Clarke was getting beat like a drum. Anybody else buy Manning would have resulted in him being responsible for at least 3 more hurries if not sacks. Dude is learning a new position, but he needs to lock it up!

Thanks pricejj!

PRESEASON GAME #1

Comment

Tony Carter and Duke Ihenacho will be lucky to make the team if everyone else stays healthy.

Bolden and Bruton have the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
                  Clarke was getting beat like a drum. Anybody else buy Manning would have resulted in him being responsible for at least 3 more hurries if not sacks. Dude is learning a new position, but he needs to lock it up!

Thanks pricejj!

PRESEASON GAME #1
                  'Anyone else but Manning' is probably correct. Clark deserves a lot more scrutiny, but didn't do anything glaring in pass pro or run block that stood out as that bad. He doesn't have a huge push in the run game, but is able to seal his man on most plays.

Comment

'Anyone else but Manning' is probably correct. Clark deserves a lot more scrutiny, but didn't do anything glaring in pass pro or run block that stood out as that bad. He doesn't have a huge push in the run game, but is able to seal his man on most plays.
                    I agree, just something I noticed. He is learning a new side and they are going to move the best past rushers away from a lady, so he just needs to step it up. I think he can, or else he will have a lot of TE's next to him for "training wheels"

Comment

Originally posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
                      I agree, just something I noticed. He is learning a new side and they are going to move the best past rushers away from a lady, so he just needs to step it up. I think he can, or else he will have a lot of TE's next to him for "training wheels"
                      Zappolo and Lynch said during the game that Schofield is already 2nd team on the depth chart. I don't have a ton of faith in Clark. The hope is that he can be adequate in the time it takes Schofield up to speed.

Next year, I think Clark is swing tackle with Schofield starting RT. Broncos take a blow losing Franklin in FA, but draft an LG high.

Comment

Upon Further Review: Brock Osweiler, Marvin Austin, Mitch Unrein and Proper Pressure

DENVER -- Beyond the scoreboard result, there was plenty about which Broncos coaches could be satisfied in Thursday's 21-16 win over Seattle: the aggressive, but smart pass rush, power running, and overall resilience.
                        A few other aspects of the game jumped out, and in this week's edition of Upon Further Review, we'll dissect them.
                        1. In a way, the game-winning, fourth-quarter touchdown drive was the most important of Brock Osweiler's development to date. It came on the heels of an underthrown deep pass that was intercepted. If Osweiler's night had ended there, the taste in his mouth would have been bitter. Instead, he did what you expect quarterbacks as leaders to do: he shook it off, rallied the offense and made things right on the next series.
                        Three offensive snaps later -- and one play after pressure forced a quick incompletion -- Osweiler connected with tight end Cameron Morrah for a 14-yard gain on third-and-6. The Seahawks rushed five men, and the offensive line held its ground. Morrah cut inside, but Seattle safety Terrance Parks closed, and by the time the ball was on its way, was step for step with Morrah.
                        Osweiler has made this type of throw more in practice this year than in previous years. It makes him much less likely to hold on to the football. And it also reveals a growing confidence that is unaffected by a bad throw; he's still going to push the pass to a narrow window, and trust his ability to deliver an accurate pass with the zip to arrive before the defense reacts. He's not at a Peyton Manning level yet, but he's much farther along than at any point to date.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...6-55d06af81d48

Comment

Zappolo and Lynch said during the game that Schofield is already 2nd team on the depth chart. I don't have a ton of faith in Clark. The hope is that he can be adequate in the time it takes Schofield up to speed.

Next year, I think Clark is swing tackle with Schofield starting RT. Broncos take a blow losing Franklin in FA, but draft an LG high.
                          Could see that with Schofield.

I dont know if we take one high.

Could just sign a cheaper G to replace Franklin assuming he is let go.

Comment

Tony Carter and Duke Ihenacho will be lucky to make the team if everyone else stays healthy.

Bolden and Bruton have the edge.
                            That's a good thing. Not because they will be out of jobs, but because we have more talented guys who have taken the jobs of 2 guys who have played a lot for the defense in recent seasons. Hell, Duke started almost all of last season and now he is at best a bubble guy.

Comment

Anyone have any notes on Schofield?

I have yet to re-watch the game, so i don't have any notes on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X