X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Football Focus notes on PS Game 1

Denver – Three Performances of Note

2013 Rookie Starting To Show Promise

In the 2013 draft the Broncos drafted Quanterus Smith as a developmental edge rusher. In last years preseason Smith played on 93 snaps and looked out of his depth. One year later Smith is showing the Broncos brass that he might be a factor as a pass rusher. Smith produced four QB Hurries on 17 oppurtinies, ending with a 17.6 PRP. He showed that he was able to win with inside and outside moves and he isn’t just a speed rusher on the outside. The Broncos used Smith mostly on the left side, it will be an interesting development to see if this is a trend going forward, especially if Smith is used at the same time as Demarcus Ware and Von Miller.

Broncos Keep Finding Running Backs

The Broncos might have found another two undrafted running backs who could go on to play in the NFL, Juwan Thompson and Kapri Bibbs. Thompson had 59 yards on six carries, with another 22 yards called back on a holding call. Thompson looked the exact opposite of Michael, Thompson gaining 3 yards after contact, while still having the ability to get on the edge and make a substantial gain. Like Thompson, Bibbs also had his longest run of the day negated by a holding call (back to back plays). It is highly likely that the Broncos will have to cut one of these two backs on cut down day due to Monte Ball and Ronnie Hillman and the trust C.J. Anderson has seemingly built up over last season. This looks like it will be a battle to the wire and another team could get an interesting pick up if one of them is cut.

Development of Osweiler

Since Brock Osweiler entered the league in 2012 he has played 84 snaps in mop up duties. So just like all of other Peyton Manning’s backups, the only chance to evaluate Osweiler is during preseason. Last year Osweiler showed he has the ability to play well, especially in passes over ten yards. Against the Seahawks Osweiler was a little inconsistent on his deep ball, 1-4, 34 yards a touchdown and one interception. The one completion he made was the go ahead touchdown to Jordan Norwood, the pass was a perfectly placed drop over the cornerback and arrived before the safety could make a play on the ball. However, the other three passes showed some issues, on the interceptions Osweiler failed to see A.J. Jefferson underneath the tight end, which gave Jefferson an easy pick. With three more games to go Osweiler will get more significant playing time to see where he stands as the future quarterback of the Broncos.

- Kenny Anunike finished with a 37.5 PRP, thanks to 5 hurries on ten pass rushing snaps, however he finished with only +0.2.

Originally posted by stoxman View Post

Broncos Keep Finding Running Backs

The Broncos might have found another two undrafted running backs who could go on to play in the NFL, Juwan Thompson and Kapri Bibbs. Thompson had 59 yards on six carries, with another 22 yards called back on a holding call. Thompson looked the exact opposite of Michael, Thompson gaining 3 yards after contact, while still having the ability to get on the edge and make a substantial gain. Like Thompson, Bibbs also had his longest run of the day negated by a holding call (back to back plays). It is highly likely that the Broncos will have to cut one of these two backs on cut down day due to Monte Ball and Ronnie Hillman and the trust C.J. Anderson has seemingly built up over last season. This looks like it will be a battle to the wire and another team could get an interesting pick up if one of them is cut.
    I'm not sure Anderson will be able to hold off Thompson.

Comment

Does anyone have any video from the other night with Thompson, or maybe some from his time at Duke? No idea what this guy looks like. Thanks in advance!

Comment

There's a YouTube video of highlights.

Comment

"I'm not the shiftiest guy, but I can get out in open space and make someone miss here and there, but I do like to make people feel the pain," Thompson said. "Just to make sure, just don't try to tackle me the next time."

Comment

Originally posted by delany View Post
            "I'm not the shiftiest guy, but I can get out in open space and make someone miss here and there, but I do like to make people feel the pain," Thompson said. "Just to make sure, just don't try to tackle me the next time."
            Even if this kids flame is short lived, I like his style! Hope he gets more touches next week

Comment

Originally posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
              Even if this kids flame is short lived, I like his style! Hope he gets more touches next week
              If Thompson plays with the 1st team the way he played against SEA, CJ will be the one on the bubble.
              Still unimpressed with Hillman. Slow no explosion.
              Both Thompson and Bibbs were explosive and decisive in the cuts and downhill style.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post
                If Thompson plays with the 1st team the way he played against SEA, CJ will be the one on the bubble.
                Still unimpressed with Hillman. Slow no explosion.
                Both Thompson and Bibbs were explosive and decisive in the cuts and downhill style.
                CJ isn't on the bubble. He survived last year with a broken leg. I hope Hillman is gone and CJ and Thompson will be the 2 guys to back up Ball. Bibbs can play until Ball is back.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                  CJ isn't on the bubble. He survived last year with a broken leg. I hope Hillman is gone and CJ and Thompson will be the 2 guys to back up Ball. Bibbs can play until Ball is back.
                  That would be great! I just think they are keeping Hillman no
                  matter what. I would LOVE to see,
                  1 Ball
                  2 Thompson
                  3 CJ
                  4 Bibbs

So sick and tired of weak backs on this team.
                  I know it's early, but considering our biggest issue to many here is RB, I really hope these guys A. Stay healthy. B. Keep progressing and pounding the rock.

Comment

Hillman reminds me of a slower, ****tier selvin young.

Every rb looked better than Hillman, except for clay.

Comment

I think hillman hits the hole quick but the next tackle he breaks will be his first

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                        Hillman reminds me of a slower, ****tier selvin young.

Every rb looked better than Hillman, except for clay.
                        How can you say that about Clay with his 3 carries with the 3rd string O-line in which 2 were blown up in the backfield and 1 going for 3 yds?

I would like to see what he could do with the 1st stringers like Hillman got the chance before I make a conclusion like that

Comment

I thought Hillman actually has started to look like a legit NFL RB. I need to re-watch his carries and take another look.

Comment

hillman isnt going to amount to anything and his size is a huge liability being all we need is a sure handed chain mover...which he has zero skills in that dept. I think anderson is on the bubble being he was out of shape and terrible at the OTAs and just got ready for camp. I think thompson/bibbs is nice to see do well early but only time will tell...at this point they have more upside than hillman/anderson...we ve seen what they have and its not much.

Comment

Originally posted by kdissette View Post
                              hillman isnt going to amount to anything and his size is a huge liability being all we need is a sure handed chain mover...which he has zero skills in that dept. I think anderson is on the bubble being he was out of shape and terrible at the OTAs and just got ready for camp. I think thompson/bibbs is nice to see do well early but only time will tell...at this point they have more upside than hillman/anderson...we ve seen what they have and its not much.
                              Have a link to support that claim?

Comment

Working...
                              X