A trend I'm noticing - player shuttle times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A trend I'm noticing - player shuttle times

I've been looking up some of the athletic profiles of some of the standout players in camp - players who weren't supposed to do anything. And one common element is that the 'nobodies' that are standing out in camp - Austin, Burse, CJ Anderson, Louis Young - were all top performers in the 20-yard shuttle at the combine.

In fact, Anderson and Burse were the single top performers in the 20-yard shuttle for their positions.

I've always felt this is far more valuable than 40 times, because it evaluates explosiveness/quickness and, to a lesser extent, agility. The theory behind he 40 time, is that a good 40 time will indicate how well a player should do immediately on special teams (an average punt of 40 yards has exactly 4.5 seconds of hang time).

I'm curious as the what your opinions are on this, and if I'm potentially on to something that Elway and Co. use as an important metric for judging players.

I don't have any hard data to go off of, but it seems like this is a strong indicator over whether a player will perform.

One player that I really liked coming out of college, and dare I say I knew he would succeed, was Duke Ihenacho. I remember looking at his measurables pre-draft and seeing two things: he was top performer in bench reps (20!) and 20-yard shuttle (4.22), but had a very weak 40 at almost 4.7.
    Last edited by Mogulseeker; 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM.

The jury's still out on Ihenacho, though...

Comment

I am dead serious about this question. What was Aaron Hernandez 20 shuttle time? The Pats refuse to release his scouting notes as part of the murder investigation, citing trade secrets. If top in shuttle time maybe it's something that is a trend replicated across another successful team.

Then look at the Chiefs recent drafts and their 20 times, and see if that why they have sucked at drafting

Comment

Originally posted by Crushaholic View Post
        The jury's still out on Ihenacho, though...
        Kinda missed the point... but as a UDFA, I'd say he exceeded expectations with 73 tackles and 14 starts last year.

If nothing else, he's solid depth and a good option as a quarter package linebacker, which is already much more than you could hope for as a UDFA.

Comment

who was that stuck on using 40 times last year?

Comment

Originally posted by bronco militia View Post
            who was that stuck on using 40 times last year?
            The more important question to ask is... what is Peyton's 40 time?

Comment

Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
              I'm potentially on to something that Elway and Co. use as an important metric for judging players.
              Numbers from a player's combine performance?

Yeah, they probably look at those.

Comment

The more important question to ask is... what is Peyton's 40 time?
                4.5....miles per hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Shananahan View Post
                  Numbers from a player's combine performance?

Yeah, they probably look at those.
                  Shhhhhh....it's a trade secret of successful teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                    Shhhhhh....it's a trade secret of successful teams.
                    So all teams value each metric equally?

Comment

The fact of the matter is that a lot of the players that weren't supposed to succeed but have typically have one thing in common: solid performances on the shuttle, and weak performances in areas that I would consider less important. It seems John Elway agrees with that assessment.

Comment

So all teams value each metric equally?
                        Probably not, but it doesn't really matter. I don't believe there is any single event at the combine that reveals how awesome a player is going to be. There are too many examples of players, good and bad, scoring all over at the combine. It will give you an idea for athleticism, but not for how that athleticism translates in pads - bother literally when they put on pads and how they play in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                          4.5....miles per hour.
                          He's more quick than fast, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Shananahan View Post
                            He's more quick than fast, really.
                            His vertical has to be 6 inches

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                              Chef
                              oh yeah....