Pass Rushing Consistency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass Rushing Consistency

In discussing and comparing pass rushers, a lot of discussion seems to focus on the rusher feasting on weak competition vs. being able to perform against any blocker they face. There are a lot of excuses as to why a pass rusher had a good game, from facing a rookie OT to playing against a bad team that had given up near the end of the season.

I wanted to look into this a little more, so I decided to look at the percentage of games (including playoffs) where a pass rusher got to the QB at least once. A high percentage should indicate that the rusher is capable of succeeding against more varied competition.

I compared the current batch of pass rushers in the NFL (Aldon, Allen, Mathis, Quinn, etc) as well as the big names from the past (White, Greene, LT, etc). I only looked at 1982 to present, because sacks were not kept track of before then.

There have been 3 players since 1982 that have recorded sacks in more than 60% of the games they've played:

-Von Miller 65.1%
    -Mark Gastineau 61.1%
    -DeMarcus Ware 60.7%

Some other notable names:

Reggie White 56.4%
    Jared Allen 55.6%
    Aldon Smith 54.9%
    Bruce Smith 53.8%
    Derrick Thomas 49.7%
    Michael Strahan 48.7%
    Elvis Dumervil 48.6%

Justin Houston 36.4%

Nice digging. A little bit of a small sample size with Von, but that's a big number. Ware is a beast. I sure hope he's healthy this year. Good thread.

Comment

Rep to OP.... I think three years is a large enough sample size.

So you're basically telling me that we have two of the top three most consistent pass rushers in the NFL? That's bonerific.

Comment

Also, to sum op OP: we have pass-rushers that do it on a daily basis, rather than those who pad their stats.

Also factor in PotRoast, Big Vick and Methwolfe coming back, and Sly and Austin really coming on... I think this is the best d-line the Broncos have had since I started following them.

Comment

Wow

Good fine.

I am already savoring this season. PH!

PH = Pray Health

Comment

Already posted this but seemed appropriate here, too:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If 335lb Terrance Knighton of the Broncos hits you at 10 mph, it&#39;s 40x the momentum of a 12 gauge shotgun blast to your chest</p>&mdash; Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson) <a href="https://twitter.com/neiltyson/statuses/430154429036498944">February 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
            <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Here's a nugget that testifies to the ridiculousness of JJ Watt: He's 4th on this list at 57.7%, and he's not even an edge rusher.

I'd love to have him on the Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicHef View Post
                Here's a nugget that testifies to the ridiculousness of JJ Watt: He's 4th on this list at 57.7%, and he's not even an edge rusher.

I'd love it if our interior linemen and backups for Von and Ware could contribute in 10+ sacks this season. That really isn't a huge number when you consider the edge talent that needs to be accounted for by the opposition.

Comment

Lol, move Ware to WAM, and our front seven would look like this:

Ware - Trevathan - Von
                  Watt - Pot Roast - Sly - Wolfe

Comment

Does anybody know where I can find the broadcast or all22 film of the Broncos vs. Panthers game from 2012?

I think that was Von's most dominant game as a pro, he was in the backfield on every play. The Panthers couldn't run or pass, Miller shut down Newton completely

Comment

Originally posted by Bong Miller View Post
                      Does anybody know where I can find the broadcast or all22 film of the Broncos vs. Panthers game from 2012?

I think that was Von's most dominant game as a pro, he was in the backfield on every play. The Panthers couldn't run or pass, Miller shut down Newton completely
                      nfl.com is the only place I know of that has any all22 available to the public online.

I agree that was his best game despite what pff rated him at, I remember him getting blindsided by Steve smith early and going ham for the rest of the game.
                      I still think he got shafted out of an official sack when he met newton in the backfield as soon as he got the snap.

Comment

Wow. Great find. Getting really amped for the season.

Comment

Von Miller = 65% x 16 = 10.4
                          Ware = 60% x 16 = 9.6

=20 Sacks This season. It's science.

Good find Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
                            Von Miller = 65% x 16 = 10.4
                            Ware = 60% x 16 = 9.6

=20 Sacks This season. It's science.

Good find Magic
                            It's at least one sack a game. A 3 sack game would count the same as a 1 sack game.

So, statistically, those would be minimums to expect from Von and Ware.

Comment

It's at least one sack a game. A 3 sack game would count the same as a 1 sack game.

So, statistically, those would be minimums to expect from Von and Ware.
                              Sky is the limit

Comment

Working...
                              X