Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 years and 45,500+ posts wasted here

Hello Mane,

This marks the ten year anniversary of my joining the Orange Mane message board. 2004 was a cool year. We had just traded Portis for Bailey and signed Lynch in the offseason - a player many felt was risky because of a neck injury he had surgery for and ended up being a big leader of the team (sound familiar?)

Allow me to wax nostalgic for a moment:

Prior to joining the Mane I was transitioning out of school life, political life and online video games. I was also not married, had an easy, average-paying job, living with my brother and was dating. I had been playing Planetside with my Brother and was heavily involved in the online community there. I definitely found my forum persona playing that first person shooter. I loved the forum culture and what it allowed. I liked formatting my thoughts in advance, reviewing them and laying things out in a thoughtful way. I learned what made posters interesting or stand out, and what made you easy to forget. So I decided to find somewhere to vent about my second love: Football.

I joined the Orange mane an was initially content to just post and read. However I had served a mission in Korea for two years (1999-2001), and while overseas found the coverage of camp and other things pretty lame. The internet was just really getting going then, but the incredible aspects of coverage hadn't fully penetrated their way to the sports world yet. People were still figuring how use the medium to create added value. After I'd been posting awhile, someone asked (I forget who) if some of us who lived nearby would be willing to go watch camp now and again so we could try and get someone there every few days and share what we saw. I sympathized with those who were they not living out of state. And with Bill Williamson and snarky Mark Kizla to choose from as an option for news, many were left wanting.

So I decided to start doing my camp reports. The first year I did a few, and hey were well received. Each year I became more committed, and the reports became more frequent and longer, and that's when people found out who I am. I remember taking weeks off of work and having parking and refreshment prepared for me by Meck and the orange force one crew. SoCal taking me to lunch at Magiano's - More and more guys came forward to volunteer and help in me way until (finally) the other media began to catch up and other online news sources appeared with better coverage. That was a fun time for me.

Fast forward to now. After the loss against the Seahawks I felt surprisingly numb. We were beaten by a better team. But that's not what surprised me. I realized how much I'd changed and how silly it was to get upset about it. I;m married, have had a child, been through therapy and now really see the world totally differently than I did ten years ago. Football is a hobby, but it's one I've realized I have no control over. The events will play out regardless of my participation. Getting upset over these things, even getting proud, is pretty silly. I just don't care like I used to, but I'm happier than I was.

I almost decided that I was going to give up the Mane and football after that game. Focus on other things. I considered taking a new hobby I had more control over. But I realized that I would miss my friends here.

So what's my point? I want to say thank you to the orangemane.com community for making this place home to me. Thank you for the friendship, discussions, audience to hear my ramblings, <s>bad</s> awesome jokes - and especially for coming to know some really amazing people.

What a great equalizer sports are. Many of you are from all walks of life, of differing racial, sexual, religious, economic, political and even national backgrounds. And all of us can agree on things, though - like how much the Raiders suck and how hilarious the Chiefs playoff win drought is.

I may post less and less as time goes by. And I admittedly care less about the Broncos than I used to. However I have come to know and appreciate all of you and wanted to share that with you on this, the ten year anniversary of my coming to this little site. Thanks so much, friends. Thank you those who hate me, and thank you those who don't care. You added flavor and nuance to my life and provided me with a decade of delightful time wasting.

Go Broncos.

OP post lacks testosterone.

Comment

I haven't been around here long but I appreciate your posts. Very clear headed and well thought out.

Comment

Congrats I guess. You're one of the best posters here.

Comment

I have the perfect gif but on my mobile phone so until then, thanks for wasting ten years of OUR time!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1wXs_1V7KiA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
          Last edited by broncocalijohn; 08-04-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

TLDR. Get a life!

Comment

You're one of my favorites...hope you don't post much less as I always find your posts amusing witty and informative about the broncos.

Keep the good work up.

Comment

Kaylore was the reason I came to this forum. One summer I googled training camp blogs and one of the results was his thread. I was hooked after that. Having met Kaylore outside of the interwebs I can say he is an awesomely funny guy, just like his online persona.

Comment

OP is the GOAT. His camp reports put the DPO, RMN and definitely MHR to shame. While fatasses sat in white tents, our brother from a Mormon mother gave us huge reports chock full of badass info, with almost no fluff. People flocked here from around the globe to partake in its greatness. The Khan Report was simply better....at everything. The days of clicking refresh at midnight waiting for a couple snippets of plays of the day from Burger Bill and other douches were over. By Khans third camp, Fred was asking him nicely (and Fred doesn't do anything nicely) to sign his (Fred's) daughters bra strap.

Dude is also hilarious.....and I'm not even referring to dancing on the pole in OF1 with his green hair. He brings terrific takes and is my favorite person here.

GOAT gonna GOAT.

http://youtu.be/2F2i6EQsPZY
                  Last edited by SoCalBronco; 08-03-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Did you shoot Bambi?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
                      OP is the GOAT. His camp reports put the DPO, RMN and definitely MHR to shame. While fatasses sat in white tents, our brother from a Mormon mother gave us huge reports chock full of badass info, with almost no fluff. People flocked here from around the globe to partake in its greatness. The Khan Report was simply better....at everything. The days of clicking refresh at midnight waiting for a couple snippets of plays of the day from Burger Bill and other douches. By Khans third camp, Fred was asking him nicely (and Fred doesn't do anything nicely) to sign his (Fred's) daughters bra strap.

Dude is also hilarious.....and I'm not even referring to dancing on the pole in OF1 with his green hair. He brings terrific takes and is my favorite person here.

GOAT gonna GOAT.

Oh, and this is TRUE!

Comment

You're a good dude, Kaylore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post

I may post less and less as time goes by.:

WTF

Comment

Yours...is...superior.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!! !!!!!!

Comment

CoC 4 Lyfe.

Comment

Working...
                              X