2011 draft class: the best ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 draft class: the best ever?

Does the 2011 draft class have a chance to go down as the best ever? Because I'm bored, lets go through and look at some of the players from that year. It's a ridiculous list.

Elite/borderline elite players: JJ Watt, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn, Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Muhammad Wilkerson, Tyron Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton

Really good players: Marcell Dareus, Mike Pouncey, Nate Solder, Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Jordan, Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, Orlando Franklin, Kyle Rudolph, Randall Cobb, Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray

Like, what the **** is that? There are a whole lot of other plus players, too (the Patriot running backs, Byron Maxwell, Andy Dalton, Torrey Smith, Jimmy Smith, Nick Fairley, etc.), starters everywhere, late round picks who still have a chance to make a significant impact. It's only a few years out and this draft class has everything.

I think the 1983 draft may have a thing or two to say about that. There is still a long way to go for the 2011 draft to rival the number of super bowls Elway, Kelly and Marino went to or their general dominance. In 67% of the super bowls between 1985 and 1999 the AFC was represented by a starting QB drafted in 1983. That is 10 out of 15 AFC champions.

Comment

I always hesitate to invoke all-time level qualifiers, particularly this early into many of the players careers. However, the 2011 draft is shaping up to be one of the better draft classes of the last two decades.

Comment

The 2004 Draft is probably has to be considered the 2nd best. Really though, its just because people remember QBs forever. while no one over 30 is ever gonna say Eli, Phillip, or Ben are equal to Elway, Marino, and Kelly class of 1983 (widely considered the best). The 2004 class is still playing and already has more SB wins. If somehow Rivers has a late go at a SB or 2, they could be considered more successful.

2011 is a nice Draft but i doubt the QB's will have long a history of success. DTs, LBs, and WR just aren't sexy enough to be memorable. IMO anyway. Now if someone is going to start working some metrics for every round of all the drafts, then it could be very different but so easy to skew based on how football changes over the years (trends, styles, Free agency).

Comment

Blasphemy of course without a doubt it was '83.

Comment

I still dont know who should have been the 1st pick.

Someone could make an argument still for 5-6 players; Cam, Kaep, Watt, Sherman, Peterson and Green.

Look at how much Green has done for the Bengals and how much he's helped a very avg Dalton lead them to 3 consecutive trips to the playoffs.

Then you have Kaep.

Comment

1983 was loaded with HOF'ers Elway, Marino, Kelly, Eric Dickerson, Bruce Matthews, Darrell Green, and Richard Dent. Others that deserve mention are Mecklenburg, Roger Craig, Henry Ellard, Albert Lewis, Chris Hinton, Charles Mann, Mark Clayton, Daryl Talley, Joey Browner, Dave Duerson, Reggie Roby, Curt Warner, and Leonard Marshall

Comment

Half the first round has gotten Pro-Bowl accolades. It is pretty solid.

Comment

It's by far the best in this decade. Best ever? let's wait and see how many of these guys end up in Canton. I can see 4-5 players, so no. 1983 will be hard to beat...
                  Last edited by boppool; 07-31-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by extralife View Post
                    Does the 2011 draft class have a chance to go down as the best ever? Because I'm bored, lets go through and look at some of the players from that year. It's a ridiculous list.

Elite/borderline elite players: JJ Watt, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn, Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Muhammad Wilkerson, Tyron Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton

Really good players: Marcell Dareus, Mike Pouncey, Nate Solder, Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Jordan, Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, Orlando Franklin, Kyle Rudolph, Randall Cobb, Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray

Like, what the **** is that? There are a whole lot of other plus players, too (the Patriot running backs, Byron Maxwell, Andy Dalton, Torrey Smith, Jimmy Smith, Nick Fairley, etc.), starters everywhere, late round picks who still have a chance to make a significant impact. It's only a few years out and this draft class has everything.
                    It has a lot of talent but that class has **** for QB taken. Because of that 83 will always be best ever.

Comment

I know what isn't the best draft class ever..

Another 2009 first rounder calls it a career, Peria Jerry DT for the Falcons announced his retirement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-pick-retiring

Comment

Dickerson Dent Kelly Green Matthews Marino Elway 26 players elected to multiple pro bowls etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco View Post
                          I know what isn't the best draft class ever..

Another 2009 first rounder calls it a career, Peria Jerry DT for the Falcons announced his retirement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-pick-retiring
                          That draft could be worst ever.

Comment

Not counting the players drafted and signed by the AFL, the draft class of 1964 has to go down as the best class ever. There were 11 HOF players drafted that year!

Comment

I was thinking about that the other day. It's got to be up there in terms of talent for the best draft in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X