Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here Referee football in Colorado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here Referee football in Colorado?

I went to orientation for JMFA (Jeffco) last night and I think I'm going to make the plunge. Always wanted to get into it.

Grades 2 - 8 to start.

Pays pretty decent too, which is an added bonus. If anyone has good advice or input on being a ref, please feel free to share!

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
    I went to orientation for JMFA (Jeffco) last night and I think I'm going to make the plunge. Always wanted to get into it.

Grades 2 - 8 to start.

Pays pretty decent too, which is an added bonus. If anyone has good advice or input on being a ref, please feel free to share!
    I've done football for about 12 years now. I just got picked up for an NAIA conference, and have been on a HS crew for 10 years, minus deployment time. I love football. I started doing 4-8th grade stuff and guys started pulling me to do HS stuff and moved up from there. You are in a lot better area to be recognized than I am.

But here are the words of advice I have:

1. Have a thick skin, and not just with coaches but with other officials. Be willing to take criticism for what it is, an effort to help you improve, because not only do we need more officials, but we need tons more good officials.

2. Worry more about being in the right spot, if you are in the right spot you will see what you need to see. Someone once told me that at a basketball camp but it applies football just the same.

3. Know the rules. Most important piece. Definitions is the place to start. Get rid of any preconceptions you are bringing in and know the rules, you are the expert on the field.

4. Look good when you are on the field. Make sure you are wearing the right uniform and it fits. It goes a long ways to developing your credibility.

5. Find someone local who has been around a long time to mentor you. Preferably a white hat, and if available someone who has worked college.

6. If you want to move up be willing to do scrimmages for free, especially at a higher level. It will get you seen and help spread the word. And it will get you more plays and help build a familiarity.

7. Find a local association to join and participate, Officiating is one of those things you can do as much or as little as you want to. I laugh at the guys who complain during the season that they are to busy, you set your schedule.

8. Enjoy being on the field. If its about money then it won't be fun. The money should be a nice perk to doing something you enjoy. I love being on the field during games. It is a blast for me. I miss playing and this is a way for me to be part of the game. (I also do basketball and baseball, and its the same way for everything)

9. Recruit, we need officials...in our area I am one of the 'young guys' and I'm 34.

If you have any questions or goofy stories by all means shrare them. I like working through rules issues.

Comment

Thank you for all of this advice. I am so appreciative!

I will message you as things come up for sure!!

Looking forward to my first training session tonight

Comment

Working...
      X