Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Richest American Athletes - any surprises?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Richest American Athletes - any surprises?

I'm confused that Vince and Don are on this list. Neither are professionally paid athletes. Both are big time Dbags though

Anything shock you about this list? I have to say I found a few things shocking. I was not expecting Arnold Palmer to be ahead of the likes of Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and even Jack Nicklaus himself. The "King" must have been very good with his business deals. Heck, I would have even thought Greg Norman would have been richer then Arny. I also was not expecting to see Magic Johnson so high on this list. Seriously, who here HONESTLY would have thought Magic was worth as much as Tiger Woods. Not I.

$1.2B - Vince McMahon
    $675M - Arnold Palmer
    $650M - Michael Jordan
    $500M - Magic Johnson
    $500M - Tiger Woods
    $300M - Alex Rodriguez
    $300M - Dale Earnhardt Jr
    $290M - Don King
    $280M - Jack Nicklaus
    $250M - Shaq

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/t...athletes.html/

There were many years there where Arnie was the top endorser ($$), and then neck and neck with Jordan. He tonned it in the 80's and even 90's. He lasted in fame long enough to benefit from the modern era of endorsement deals.

I used to read numbers like $80 million and $100 million for him. That's a lot of Pennzoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
      There were many years there where Arnie was the top endorser ($$), and then neck and neck with Jordan. He tonned it in the 80's and even 90's. He lasted in fame long enough to benefit from the modern era of endorsement deals.

I used to read numbers like $80 million and $100 million for him. That's a lot of Pennzoil.
      I heard he makes a nickel every time someone orders a lemonade and ice tea.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
        I'm confused that Vince and Don are on this list. Neither are professionally paid athletes. Both are big time Dbags though

Anything shock you about this list? I have to say I found a few things shocking. I was not expecting Arnold Palmer to be ahead of the likes of Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and even Jack Nicklaus himself. The "King" must have been very good with his business deals. Heck, I would have even thought Greg Norman would have been richer then Arny. I also was not expecting to see Magic Johnson so high on this list. Seriously, who here HONESTLY would have thought Magic was worth as much as Tiger Woods. Not I.

$1.2B - Vince McMahon
        $675M - Arnold Palmer
        $650M - Michael Jordan
        $500M - Magic Johnson
        $500M - Tiger Woods
        $300M - Alex Rodriguez
        $290M - Don King
        $280M - Jack Nicklaus
        $250M - Shaq

Norman is an Aussie. I bet Palmer has "designed" a ton of courses, some that really paid off.

Comment

http://www.palmergolf.com/company/ His company is probably worth a nice chunk of change.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
            Norman is an Aussie. I bet Palmer has "designed" a ton of courses, some that really paid off.
            Oh he has designed some fabulous courses. But as with Jack Nicklaus, they still make a killing even though they didn't design a course. As long as it bears their name as a "signature course", they still make their share, even though they didn't have a single thing to do with the design but maybe look over the design and approve it worthy of having their name tied to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post

$1.2B - Vince McMahon
              $675M - Arnold Palmer
              $650M - Michael Jordan
              $500M - Magic Johnson
              $500M - Tiger Woods
              $300M - Alex Rodriguez
              $290M - Don King
              $280M - Jack Nicklaus
              $250M - Shaq

I think that list isn't complete. Infact I know it isn't that accurate. Roger Staubach isn't on it and he is the richest NFL player and worth over 500 mil. Manning has to be over 250 mil by now.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                I think that list isn't complete. Infact I know it isn't that accurate. Roger Staubach isn't on it and he is the richest NFL player and worth over 500 mil. Manning has to be over 250 mil by now.
                Yes. This link states that Staubach is worth $600 million...

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ach-net-worth/

Peyton Manning is "only" worth $165 million...

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ing-net-worth/

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                  It could be that most of Roger's money was not made via playing or endorsement deals for the sport in which he played. He's a CEO of some big consulting company or something I think. That wouldn't have anything to do with sports. I'm not sure if that was the criteria they used when building the list but it might explain why he and his $600M or so isn't on there.

Comment

Just looking at Shaq's who is first, it talks about his video games and movies, so it looks like the list is all income streams, not just salaries and endorsements.

Staubach should be on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Crushaholic View Post
                      Peyton Manning is "only" worth $165 million...

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ing-net-worth/
                      That number has to be off. Manning's stake in the Grizzlies is worth that. How much is his share of the Pizza Joint worth? That isnt' even taking into account his NFL salary's and endorsements.

Comment

I am surprised Jeff Gordon isn't on the list. That dude has won over a hundred million dollars for racing and has endorsements from Pepsi and a ton of other well-known places. Apparently he's like Top 50, but huh.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
                          Right, Dale Earnhart Jr. is worth 300 mill..Gordon has to be way over that..
                          and what about Jimmie Johnson. He's only been the top stud in Nascar for over 7 years, big deal with Lowe's and many more.

Comment

I don't think promoters should qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
                              He's not a promoter he's an owner..he qualified because its now known as Sports entertainment as opposed to just wrestling..
                              I think he was talking about Don King, who is a boxing promoter. Time to dunk you again, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X