Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Mike Shanahan turned down Fox NFL announcing offer

Report: Mike Shanahan turned down Fox NFL announcing offer

Former Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan nearly stepped into the booth for Fox Sports as a NFL color commentator, this all according to play-by-play announcer Dick Stockton, by way of 106.7 The Fan’s Grant Paulsen.

Here’s that conversation, per Paulsen’s account:

Paulsen: I said, ‘Calling a game?’

Stockton: And he goes, ‘No, not today. I’m off until Friday. I’ve got a Yankees game.’

Paulsen: I said, ‘Oh, that’s cool.’ And so right then, I tell him, I said, ‘Well, my name’s so-and-so, I just was working at the All-Star event with XM Radio. I was working in the dugout.’ I presented myself just to have a conversation, let him know, basically, that I’m in the business. I didn’t say I do a daily show in D.C., or anything like that. I said, ‘I’m in radio, and have done some work, a big fan of what you do play-by-play. And so he said, ‘Oh, cool. Cool.’ So we started talking. I was asking him about the big news that Erin Andrews had moved up, and he wasn’t really giving opinions as much as as saying, ‘Yea, I heard about that kind of stuff.’
    And then I said, ‘Hey, what broadcast team are you on this year?’

Stockton: And he’s like, ‘What do you mean?’

Paulsen: I said, ‘Well, who you working with?’

Stockton: And he’s like, ‘Well, that’s a great question.’ He’s like, ‘Normally I know by now.’ He’s like, ‘I’m not really sure, yet.’

Paulsen: I said, ‘Ah, okay.’

Stockton: And he says, ‘I was supposed to be working with Mike Shanahan, but it doesn’t sound like he wants to do it anymore.’

“Dick Stockton in an airport, telling me — and again, I didn’t tell him, like, ‘I do a 10-2 show and I’m gonna mention this tomorrow’ — but I certainly didn’t hide the fact that I’m in the business,” Paulsen said. “And he just kind of offered that. He said, ‘Yea, I was going to do it with Mike Shanahan, but it sounds like that’s not happening anymore.’”
    Paulsen went on to say he contacted someone close to Shanahan to confirm the news, learning, “What I’m being told is that Mike Shanahan will not be calling games on Fox. That is not going to happen. But! At one point in time, there was at least a conversation. Could you have imagined? Shanny on the call of Redskins games in September?!”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/...-nfl-coverage/

I wish he would pick up a at a desk. I'd love to hear him talk about the game a pick up something without all the coach speech.

Comment

Yeah, this would have been pretty great.

But him refusing tells me one thing: he's not willing to give up on coaching yet. Not to many coaches leave the cushy digs of a broadcasting career.

Comment

Originally posted by Taco John View Post
        Yeah, this would have been pretty great.

But him refusing tells me one thing: he's not willing to give up on coaching yet. Not to many coaches leave the cushy digs of a broadcasting career.
        I think he still loves teaching the game of football. A little hocky. But unless he starts to learn how the game has changed I think he won't be a successful coach again.

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
          I think he still loves teaching the game of football. A little hocky. But unless he starts to learn how the game has changed I think he won't be a successful coach again.
          I never got the sense he loved teaching at all. I got the sense he loved winning and was a perfectionist.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
            I never got the sense he loved teaching at all. I got the sense he loved winning and was a perfectionist.
            This.

Just a competitor. I don't think he gets another HC offer, honestly, after the debacle in Washington. Would love to see him take over OC when Gase gets the inevitable HC offer. Thats way beneath Shanahan though.

Comment

He loves offense.

Comment

I actually don't think Shanahan would do well on TV. He doesn't come off as very warm. I think his commentary would be well-informed, but dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
                  This.

Just a competitor. I don't think he gets another HC offer, honestly, after the debacle in Washington. Would love to see him take over OC when Gase gets the inevitable HC offer. Thats way beneath Shanahan though.
                  I don't think Elway wants that kind of media distraction, if Shanahan came back...

Comment

you can only utter, 'Good things happen when....' so many times unless you're John Freakin' Madden.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                      I actually don't think Shanahan would do well on TV. He doesn't come off as very warm. I think his commentary would be well-informed, but dry.
                      He would start every comment with "Any time you...."

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
                        He had a weekly tv show here when he coached the Red Skins..he was informative but there was a lot of dead air..the hosts who would talk to him sometimes would struggle to feel air space..
                        It was the same way here. Vic Lombardi was talking when CBS 4 was doing the coach's shows. He said when the cameras weren't rolling Shanahan would just stare at them and say nothing. Surprisingly he said McDaniels was really fun to work with and would joke with them and tell them all sorts of crazy stuff between commercial breaks. I just don't think TV is Shanahan's venue. He's a gamer and a strategist, not a talking head.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                          Any time you get a chance to have a guy be one piece away, good things can happen.

Comment

Shanahan doesn't have a personality that would do well on TV is you ask me. He is short and not very personable. Fox wins on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                              Any time you get a chance to have a guy be one piece away, good things can happen.
                              Don't forget his refusal to use acronyms. I like to imagine he hands stuff to ship to his assistants and says "Gretchen, we need have this shipped second day via the United Postal Service. These are documents for the National Football League. Did you watch the Federation International de Football cup this year? I think the United States of America played well for a young team. Anytime you're playing in the Federation International de Football cup, amazing things can happen."

Comment

Working...
                              X