Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone from washington dc area?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • anyone from washington dc area?

    have a job interview in DC this week at GWU, wanted to know a bit more about it. seems like a pretty terrible place to live/work/go broke because you cant afford anything. anyone have anything different to say about it? thanks

  • #2
    Keep an eye out for Redskins ....Watch your top knot.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post
      have a job interview in DC this week at GWU, wanted to know a bit more about it. seems like a pretty terrible place to live/work/go broke because you cant afford anything. anyone have anything different to say about it? thanks
      It's a fine place to live. Like any city, money is pretty bueno. It is expensive but a job in education should leave you flush with cabbage.

      It depends on your situation. If you have kids child care can run $900/month on up. Schools? In the district you'll want to do private schooling. In VA it depends on where you live. Entertainment? Museums and **** are free. Nights out, cocktails in particular, can run up a tab. There is always cool **** going on in town. It's no NYC but it ain't nothing either. The redskins fans are insufferable dickwads but they're better than philly fans. Philly sucks.

      Humidity. Summer humidity sucks. It's like living in a dog's mouth. Service...Kennedy said doc is a town of northern charm and southern efficiency. Truth.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post
        have a job interview in DC this week at GWU, wanted to know a bit more about it. seems like a pretty terrible place to live/work/go broke because you cant afford anything. anyone have anything different to say about it? thanks
        It all depends on where you live. Living in the city is more $$$ than northern VA. Traffic sucks, the weather is humid in the summer but I love living here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ray Finkle View Post
          It all depends on where you live. Living in the city is more $$$ than northern VA. Traffic sucks, the weather is humid in the summer but I love living here.
          And Maryland...well, it's Maryland.

          Comment


          • #6
            Lived here off an on since 1992. I keep saying I'm going to leave, but honestly, there a lot really great about this area. Real estate is expensive as ****, but if you don't have kids it's more than doable. Traffic and weather are by far the worst traits. Summers in AZ are more bearable that most summers here. You take a 3 month break from the sun in the winter, and we get more annual rainfall than Seattle.

            That said the DMV area is likely one of the most culturally diverse areas in the county, possibly the world. You can get literally any kind of food you want, and it's quality. You will never run out of things to do. You could go camping in the Appalachian mountains, catch a Nationals game, check out world famous art galleries and then go clubbing all the same weekend.

            Comment


            • #7
              I lived there (Ft. Meade, Maryland to be exact) briefly in 2004-2005.

              It's really not that bad... traffic is awful, but it's a pretty decent area. Odenton/Arlington are the places to be because they're cheaper. There really is a lot to do... although I was really young, so I mostly just hung out at DuClaw Brew pub... or Ravens/Redskins games... or Gillians, lol, because that's where we could have gotten Broncos games.

              Comment


              • #8
                GW is right on the metro too so that's an easy ride and not too shabby of a drive from va.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I used to work at GWU, rode the orange metro rail in from Maryland. I agree not too shabby a commute. It a interesting city to work in, a lot to do after work. The museums, art galleries, zoo, and more are all free in DC. You can tour all the gov. buildings and walk around the IMF and World bank which are next door to GWU. You'll be a few blocks from the White House.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It's very good place to live, there is always something to do or going on. DC has hit a phase of urban renew so the city is cool but it expensive. Inside the beltway is also great expect for areas of Prince William (that were the pushed out all the folks they couldn't afford living in DC). Outside the beltway home prices are slightly less but you pay for that by sending time in traffic

                    Positives- Good local economy, active social scene, good education, food and plenty of opperunities both in employment and doing things (fine arts, food, going out, outside activities)

                    Negatives - traffic, real estate prices, traffic, summer heat, tourists on Metro, panic on the roads if there is any snow or ice, I95 traffic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RaiderH8r View Post
                      It's a fine place to live. Like any city, money is pretty bueno. It is expensive but a job in education should leave you flush with cabbage.

                      It depends on your situation. If you have kids child care can run $900/month on up. Schools? In the district you'll want to do private schooling. In VA it depends on where you live. Entertainment? Museums and **** are free. Nights out, cocktails in particular, can run up a tab. There is always cool **** going on in town. It's no NYC but it ain't nothing either. The redskins fans are insufferable dillwads but they're better than philly fans. Philly sucks.

                      Humidity. Summer humidity sucks. It's like living in a dog's mouth. Service...Kennedy said doc is a town of northern charm and southern efficiency. Truth.
                      For the most part this. It is expensive to leave in the area, traffic sucks, always things to do (best stuff in DC). DC area is a good place to live if you can get past the cost of living and traffic.

                      If you have kids, school system in NOVA (Fairfax county) are some of the best in the country. Probably because of the high cost of living (or vic versa). Also VA has some of the best colleges in the country.

                      Also the area is very culturally diverse. There are a lot of different nationalities leaving in the area, and you get to experience their way of life, whether it be through the food, activities, festivals, or whatever else.
                      Last edited by HILife; 07-21-2014, 05:07 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
                        I lived there (Ft. Meade, Maryland to be exact) briefly in 2004-2005.

                        It's really not that bad... traffic is awful, but it's a pretty decent area. Odenton/Arlington are the places to be because they're cheaper. There really is a lot to do... although I was really young, so I mostly just hung out at DuClaw Brew pub... or Ravens/Redskins games... or Gillians, lol, because that's where we could have gotten Broncos games.
                        Don't know much about Odenton, but I do know that Arlington isn't cheap. It's right across the water from DC, so buying a home there is expensive. You don't get alot of bang for your buck, if you like space.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by elsid13 View Post
                          It's very good place to live, there is always something to do or going on. DC has hit a phase of urban renew so the city is cool but it expensive. Inside the beltway is also great expect for areas of Prince William (that were the pushed out all the folks they couldn't afford living in DC). Outside the beltway home prices are slightly less but you pay for that by sending time in traffic

                          Positives- Good local economy, active social scene, good education, food and plenty of opperunities both in employment and doing things (fine arts, food, going out, outside activities)

                          Negatives - traffic, real estate prices, traffic, summer heat, tourists on Metro, panic on the roads if there is any snow or ice, I95 traffic
                          I think you mean Prince George's County. Prince William is outside the beltway. Parts of Prince George's County is where people are getting pushed to since Southeast DC is being fixed up.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I lived in the NOVA area for 30 years. Manassas, Fairfax, Alexandria, South Arlington. By far my favorite place to live was south Arlington. I was about a 10 minute walk from Pentagon City metro so I hardly ever used my car. Traffic is bad but if you use the Metro you mostly just have to worry about being the occasional sardine. Lived there on 9/11 and our neighborhood with choked with smoke the following days.

                            The GW Parkway has a beautiful trail for running/jogging/biking right in to DC. Run aroiund the Mall and the monuments. Very inspirational every time. Best workout I ever had. Lots of hot chicks too.

                            Expensive as hell though. It was just too pricy for me and I knew I'd be renting with roomates or stuck in some claustrophobic condo to remain there so I moved to Charlotte where my money goes probably more than twice as far.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              God bless anyone that wants to live in the land of tail lights and licsense plates. Enjoy spending time in your car.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X