Apollo 11 photos: 45 years later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo 11 photos: 45 years later

45 years ago on Sunday man landed on the moon. See these photos from US News and World report:

http://www.usnews.com/news/photos/20...45-years-later

As a kid growing up in Denver I had two passions: following the Broncos and the space program. I was age 13 when we landed on the moon and watched every minute of the coverage I could. As a Bronco fan I was about to enter my second season of owning season tickets (bought at $2/game in 1968 with a friend). Two months later the Broncos beat the defending Super Bowl champ NY Jets in Denver 21-19 (a game I still rate as one of the best bronco home games ever). 1969 was a good year for me.

For you old timers, where were you when we landed on the moon?

My dad was 10. My mom was 6.

Apparently my dad's parents bought a color TV days in advance. I love how Armstrong compared the sands of the moon to the high desert of Arizona. Amazing moment in history.

Comment

Titan Stole my thunder.

Glad I am not the only one here interested in man's greatest achievement

Comment

Video relevant: http://youtu.be/wptn5RE2I-k

Truly man's greatest achievement.

I suggest watching the mini series "When We Left Earth". It is the best doc series about NASA IMO.
        It really helps the younger generations grasp the immense ambition of NASA in the early days, and it gives perspective of the stones of the first test pilots. It covers Gemini to the future. A must watch for space nerds, or it'll turn you into one. It's been on netflix for ages.

Comment

I was less than a year old living in SoCal taking my own... first... sandy... beach... steps... for... all... incredibly adorably... baby... kind!

Comment

The first moonwalk is one of my earliest memories. I had just turned five. My dad got me out of bed and deposited me in front of the TV just before Neil came down the ladder. Dad said, "When you're older you'll remember this and be glad you saw it." He was right.

Comment

The family was at my grand parents home watching it together, I was 9 and still remember it well. Man's greatest achievement.

Comment

I was 4, might have been living in Cheyenne, or possibly Virginia, but I don't remember. Military kid, so we moved a lot.

Comment

I was random carbon and polypeptides find their way through space and time against the forces of entropy to coalesce in my dad's ballsack.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                    I was random carbon and polypeptides find their way through space and time against the forces of entropy to coalesce in my dad's ballsack.
                    Ditto

Comment

Here's a random true story.

In 1963 Gaylord Perry said they'll put a man on the moon before he hits a home run. In 1964 manager Alvin Dark told reporters they'll put a man on the moon before Perry hits a home run.

Perry hits his first home run 25 minutes after man walked on the moon. July 20 1969.

Comment

fyi, we landed on the moon.

http://www.google.com/moon/

Comment

It's crazy that I think this was in the 60's and so was "long" ago. But it was really only 11 years before I was born.

Fun fact: 45 years later there are more nations that may be able to send people the Moon than ever before, but the Chiefs are still really far away from getting to a SB again.

Comment

We landed on the moon?!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoLifer View Post
                              The first moonwalk is one of my earliest memories. I had just turned five. My dad got me out of bed and deposited me in front of the TV just before Neil came down the ladder. Dad said, "When you're older you'll remember this and be glad you saw it." He was right.
                              Same here. Dad was home on leave and it was a big deal. The first, and one of the only times in my youth I saw my father shed tears.

Comment

Working...
                              X