X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway: Julius Thomas is no Jimmy Graham

Elway: We want to keep Julius Thomas, but he’s no Jimmy Graham

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 16, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT

Broncos tight end Julius Thomas was glad the Saints came to an agreement with tight end Jimmy Graham, perhaps because Thomas thinks having Graham’s deal in place will put him in better position to get a new contract worked out with the Broncos. But Broncos boss John Elway wants to make one thing clear: Thomas won’t be getting a Jimmy Graham type contract.

“Even though Julius had a tremendous year for us, he’s only [played] 23 games. We want Julius to be a Bronco for a long time and we think he has tremendous upside, but he’s not at that level,” Elway told USA Today.

Elway is right: Although Thomas had a breakout year last year, catching 65 passes for 788 yards and 12 touchdowns, he’s a long way from earning a contract like the deal the Saints gave Graham, which will pay $21 million over the next two seasons.

Elway plans to work on contract negotiations with both Thomas and wide receiver Demaryius Thomas during training camp, but he doesn’t want to see those negotiations extend into the regular season.

“Nothing is going to get done before camp, but we’ll keep talking to them in camp,” Elway said. “I’m never going to go into the season, but the first couple of weeks, we can continue to talk about it. After the second week of the preseason, we’ll want to have had something done, one way or another.”

The Broncos may get something done with Thomas, but they won’t overpay him by putting him in the same pay range as Graham.

For the Article and silly comments click here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs

already posted
    http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115905

Comment

Elway getting bashed in the comments section and this guy laid off a great post. People saying Elway was no Montana....

24k24k007 says: <SMALL>Jul 16, 2014 8:49 PM </SMALL>
      You guys are crazy, MONTANA IS NO ELWAY!

Elway carrer passing yards …51,475 yards 300TD’s….MONTANA 40,551 yards 273 TD’s…..

ELWAY RUSHING 3.407 33TD’s that’s 333 TD’s….MONTANA A PITIFUL 1,600 Yars 21 TD’s do the math, and poor Elway had the worst team to work with, I’m not even a broncos fan, but I remember how bad their receivers were. MONTANA Had Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark, Rodger Craig who originated the receiving running backs you see today, him Marus Allen And Thurman Thomas, and please don’t forget about John Taylor! Elway did everything himself, he went out there week after week and got the shi*Znizzy Beat out of him and got up for more, he carried the Denver Broncos for a decade and a half.

See, it’s stupidity like that “ELWAY IS NO MONTANA” That has the youth today worshipping Joe Montana. Yeah I know what your going to say! Joe Montana has Four Super Bowl Wins! He better with a team like that, I remember the 80′s and the forty NINERS were nothing more than todays New York Yankees, they had the best players at every position, and probably half the reason the salary cap is in play today.

Elway Won back to Back Super Bowls and went to more than Montana, how can you say he’s no Montana, he’s better! But he Broncos don’t have the fan base like the San Fran Cisco forty 49ers, ever notice anyone who does anything in San Fran and New York is worshipped for it? Look at poor Darrell Revis, he was a super star for one reason and one reason alone, he played for the JETS! STEW ON THAT FOR A MINUTE!
      Last edited by Guess Who; 07-16-2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
        so, just go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
          Elway getting bashed in the comments section and this guy laid off a great post. People saying Elway was no Montana....
          Yes, Thurman Thomas was an excellent 49er....

Re-read, reading comprehension isn't my deal.....

Comment

Originally posted by B-Large View Post
            Yes, Thurman Thomas was an excellent 49er....

Re-read, reading comprehension isn't my deal.....
            You do have a reading comprehension problem.

He was not saying Thurman Thomas was a 49er. He was saying Roger Craig, Marcus Allen and Thurman Thomas changed the game for RBs in the passing game.

Comment

Working...
            X