Jimmy Graham - 4 yr 40 mil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Graham - 4 yr 40 mil

Jimmy graham cashes in. Where does this put JT's contract? Will we be able to get the extension done or do you think we will just have to franchise him next year?

JT is looking at least 7 mill a year I'd guess.

Comment

They don't need to franchise JT. They'll get a deal done.

Von Miller is the most likely candidate for the tag next season.

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
        They don't need to franchise JT. They'll get a deal done.

Von Miller is the most likely candidate for the tag next season.
        Do you think the team picked up his 2015 option to tag him in 2015?

Comment

Originally posted by DBroncos4life View Post
          Do you think the team picked up his 2015 option to tag him in 2015?
          I heard today that there is some way he can get out of that option. If I am incorrect, I apologize.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bet u r lol RT <a href="https://twitter.com/Julius_Thomas">@Julius_Thomas</a>: Throwing a shoutout to Jimmy Graham. Congrats! Glad both sides could come together and agree on a deal</p>&mdash; Terrance Knighton (@MrKnighton2u) <a href="https://twitter.com/MrKnighton2u/statuses/489071078963048448">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
            <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Settle down Julius, you can get the Martellus Bennett version of that contract or perhaps somewhere in the middle if you perform this year.

Comment

There's no way I would give Orange Julius anywhere near the amount of cash that Jimmy Graham just signed for.

Jimmy Graham has had 3 outstanding seasons in a row, Julius Thomas has hobbled around with ankle/other assorted injuries most of his career. He had a nice season last year, but he was still gimpy and missed a few games.

If I were Denver, I wouldn't pay Julius Thomas jack **** this season....I'd make him prove it again this season before I offered him a big deal. If he kicks ass again in 2014 and stays healthy, then he deserves a nice fat payday.

The only way I'd extend his deal before or during this season is if he was willing to sign for less than Top 5 TE money in order to get paid now....but even then, if he played well for the next few seasons, he'd want a new deal for being paid under market value.

I'd let Julius play out the final season on his deal and make him earn a new deal that pays him like an elite TE....one nice season (while missing 2 games) with Peyton Manning throwing you the rock shouldn't earn you Top 5 TE money. It's not like he put up freakish stats anyway....65 receptions for 788 yards and 12 TDs is excellent for a TE, but Peyton Manning makes a lot of players look better than they are....see Dallas Clark.
                Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM.

Comment

JT is cool and all but he's know JG.. I'd take that $7MM and plow it elsewhere (depending how this season goes).

Comment

Originally posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
                    There's no way I would give Orange Julius anywhere near the amount of cash that Jimmy Graham just signed for.

Jimmy Graham has had 3 outstanding seasons in a row, Julius Thomas has hobbled around with ankle/other assorted injuries most of his career. He had a nice season last year, but he was still gimpy and missed a few games.

If I were Denver, I wouldn't pay Julius Thomas jack **** this season....I'd make him prove it again this season before I offered him a big deal. If he kicks ass again in 2014 and stays healthy, then he deserves a nice fat payday.

The only way I'd extend his deal before or during this season is if he was willing to sign for less than Top 5 TE money in order to get paid now....but even then, if he played well for the next few seasons, he'd want a new deal for being paid under market value.

I'd let Julius play out the final season on his deal and make him earn a new deal that pays him like an elite TE....one nice season (while missing 2 games) with Peyton Manning throwing you the rock shouldn't earn you Top 5 TE money. It's not like he put up freakish stats anyway....65 receptions for 788 yards and 12 TDs is excellent for a TE, but Peyton Manning makes a lot of players look better than they are....see Dallas Clark.

I don't know man. I tend to agree with you regarding how/when the Broncos should pay him, but I have been re-watching all of the games from last season and the one thing that consistently pops into my head is what an absolute monster JT is on the field. He is SO fast, so big and can make amazing catches. I don't think there's any fluke to what he did last season and I fully expect to see it again, if not better this season (with improved blocking).

I guess my point is, I don't think Manning is making JT as much as he is other receivers/players. JT would be a stand out player either way.
                    Last edited by crush17; 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCMElway View Post
                      Jimmy graham cashes in. Where does this put JT's contract? Will we be able to get the extension done or do you think we will just have to franchise him next year?
                      He's proven that he's good player, but too early to throw the bank at him...
                      If he has a great solid season this year, then we could start talking, but he's got ways to go yet...

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
                        I don't know man. I tend to agree with you regarding how/when the Broncos should pay him, but I have been re-watching all of the games from last season and the one thing that consistently pops into my head is what an absolute monster JT is on the field. He is SO fast, so big and can make amazing catches. I don't think there's any fluke to what he did last season and I fully expect to see it again, if not better this season (with improved blocking).

I guess my point is, I don't think Manning is making JT as much as he is other receivers/players. JT would be a stand out player either way.
                        If Julius Thomas is that much of a monster, then he'll stay healthy and prove it on the field again in 2014 and earn every penny he's got coming to him.

He's got a history of ankle injuries and even last season, he hobbled around and missed a few games. Before I invest franchise money in a TE with a history of ankle injuries, I want to make sure he's going to be durable....I want to see if his ankles will hold up for two seasons in a row.

Let Julius Thomas come out and prove he can stay healthy for another full season, improve as a blocker, and progress even further as a weapon in the passing game for Peyton Manning.

The only upside of locking him up now is if he's willing to sign at a discounted rate....there's no reason to pay him Top 5 TE money right now. Let's see Julius Thomas replicate and build off of 2013, when he emerged as a pass catching stud and mismatch for defensive coordinators to deal with.

Don't take my hesitation of not wanting to back the Brink's truck up to his house right this moment as me not thinking he's a stud or not wanting to see him play well....I think he's got All-Pro potential. I just want to see him stay healthy for another season and improve on his blocking before the team invests franchise money off of 14 games of production.

If he kicks ass in 2014, then he should be deserving of a big payday.
                        Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I think Denver needs to sign DT before they can pay Julius 6 or 7 million. Wrap up DT and then we can move on to the next target. Tightends have traditionally produced well in Manning's offense, no matter who they are. I think Julius has some great skills but DT makes the engine go right now, not the other way around.

Comment

He needs to prove he can play another full season without injury

Comment

He will cost more than Graham because the cap is expected to make a big jump for 2015.

So its not a matter of whether he has only proven it for X years....its a matter of market forces with a bigger cap.

Comment

Working...
                              X